big_z

Nov 2, 2017
face ID is basically a Kinect. it uses the same infrared emitter idea to get the general shape of your face. its the shape that's important which is why the 3D printed head worked to fool it. if two people have similar facial features you'll be able to trick the phone.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They hired the original Kinect creators to make the iPhone X's face-recognising camera, right? PrimeSense.

Baseball-Player-Tries-To-Hold-In-The-Laughter-During-Zoom.gif

The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't me being sarcastic or facetious. I legitimately think they calibrated it with white faces, probably because they calibrated it with the team working on the project. Apple's main diversification is with its retail teams, not the R&D department.

I don't know how ignorant you'd have to be to the business world if you think Apple works like some start up company where they only "calibrate" their features by having the development team test them.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Or they only tested it on white people.

I'm guessing their last minute certification changes that made to the sensor is what's causing this.

It's rumoured that Apple dropped three of the required QA tests for the dot projector in order to try and meet demand for the X. It's possible this is happening to a surprising number of people as a result of this decision.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a lot of cases like this? These two look very similar. I'd expect a mountain of these cases if this were the case.
There is a growing cache of documentation on this. I believe they are calling it algorithmic bias... Or something. But stuff like this goes along the way back to the first 100 years of photography.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Did the coworker try to unlock an older Iphone with Touch ID

Just sayin'

Don't remember coworkers and sons being able to fool Touch ID

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who knows, but it also reminds me of 23andme (an genetic ancestry testing company) that had an issue with accuracy when testing Asians. Turns out their European data set was 800% the size of their Asian one (Native American and East Asian, to be exact, which were grouped for some reason), which should raise an eye for everyone considering the relative sizes of the worldwide populations
That sounds pretty bad, shouldn't it be logical to have equal representation in a data base? I can understand difficulties gathering the data, but that should not stop the company.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If this was a race issue wouldn't this problem have to appear all over asia?

Not necessarily. The suspected issue is that FaceID is less sensitive to variations between non-white/European faces than between white/European faces. So two white/European people who look "somewhat similar" to white/European eyes would be properly differentiated by FaceID whereas two East Asian people who look "somewhat similar" to East Asian eyes would not. It's a question of thresholds and training rather than outright failure.

This problem is endemic in American tech, as previous examples in this thread (Kinect, 23&me, Kodak, etc.) have demonstrated.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
If this was a race issue wouldn't this problem have to appear all over asia?

Yes.

Too many people in this thread ignoring what we know about how Apple developed this feature. (Or in some cases how it even works at all.) FaceID is a "bet the company" level tech. China is their first or second most important market. They'd have to be incompetent beyond belief to not have done the testing and prep we already know they did because of what they've said and what journalists have turned up about how they prepared for this launch.

Now, the tech industry in general has a deserved terrible reputation on this exact issue so I'm not surprised people are assuming Apple did the same. But it'd be nice if they read the thread before jumping in with the same comment.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So we have finally managed to program smartphones to be racist against asians? Truly, AI has come far.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Hint

Face tech is very hard to do work for when you only test it on caucasians

They didn't.

The accessibility of the product to people of diverse races and ethnicities was very important to us. Face ID uses facial matching neural networks that we developed using over a billion images, including IR and depth images collected in studies conducted with the participants' informed consent. We worked with participants from around the world to include a representative group of people accounting for gender, age, ethnicity, and other factors. We augmented the studies as needed to provide a high degree of accuracy for a diverse range of users. Also, a neural network that is trained to spot and resist spoofing defends against attempts to unlock your phone with photos or masks.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

Too many people in this thread ignoring what we know about how Apple developed this feature. (Or in some cases how it even works at all.) FaceID is a "bet the company" level tech. China is their first or second most important market. They'd have to be incompetent beyond belief to not have done the testing and prep we already know they did because of what they've said and what journalists have turned up about how they prepared for this launch.

Now, the tech industry in general has a deserved terrible reputation on this exact issue so I'm not surprised people are assuming Apple did the same. But it'd be nice if they read the thread before jumping in with the same comment.

And really, just look at Tim Cook. He's the last guy that would be prejudiced/racist. Dudes awesome.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to buy an iPhone X now that they're readily available. Looks like I'll be waiting until they resolve this. Waiting until the next iteration may be the smartest choice here.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Yan said that she tried calling Apple's hotline for help, but was told that what she described was impossible, prompting the pair to head down to their nearest Apple Store for a demonstration."

Pathetic.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Best part of this thread was the dude on the first page trying a "bu bu bu Samsung" and failing.

Face recognition has a long way to go before I'd trust it as my main security for a device.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bothered by this thread's title reading like one of those click bait articles you found on some sites as paid content but disguised to look as a legit article from the same site. **shudder**

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best part of this thread was the dude on the first page trying a "bu bu bu Samsung" and failing.

Face recognition has a long way to go before I'd trust it as my main security for a device.

Passcodes will always be the most secure. FaceID is more secure than fingerprints but both are (relatively pretty small) compromises for the sake of convenience.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Face ID is more secure than fingerprints? I seriously doubt my coworker or relative could unlock my phone using their fingerprints.

I seriously doubt your coworker or relative could unlock your phone using their face. The article here cites a statistical rarity. Apple quoted a 1 in 1,000,000 chance with FaceID, which means it can obviously still happen. TouchID is 1 in 50,000.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously doubt your coworker or relative could unlock your phone using their face. The article here cites a statistical rarity. Apple quoted a 1 in 1,000,000 chance with FaceID, which means it can obviously still happen. TouchID is 1 in 50,000.

You saw the other video with the son who unlocked the mothers phone right? They don't even look that similar. I wouldn't necessarily take Apple's numbers as fact here.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
But nothing here contradicts those numbers. If it's 1 in a million how many false positives should we expect?

I think it just requires further testing. Especially in certain markets where the phone apparently can't tell the difference between two people.

As an aside there's a guy in the mall I work at who's basically a spitting image of me, even though we're about 20 years apart. I should test it with him.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Face ID is more secure than fingerprints? I seriously doubt my coworker or relative could unlock my phone using their fingerprints.

No, but unless you wear gloves all the time they can extract your fingerprints really easily if they're motivated to and use that to unlock your phone. The same can't be said of FaceID.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
No, but unless you wear gloves all the time they can extract your fingerprints really easily if they're motivated to and use that to unlock your phone. The same can't be said of FaceID.

How exactly can my co-workers "extract my fingerprints really easily"?

Hell, if you want to push it you could say my co-workers can just look over my shoulder and grab my 4 or 6 digit pin and unlock my phone, but apparently a pin is more secure than both fingerprints and FaceID.

The issue of FaceID isn't going to be as big in the west, but the two videos shown in this thread prove it is more of an issue in other places.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
FaceID is for shit. Fingerprints are better, but can be lifted I guess.

Have there been any tests on how good the iris scan like in the note 8 is compared to these? My identical twin can't get in my phone with the iris scan, but he can with the facial recognition (duh I guess) even though we have different beards

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
You saw the other video with the son who unlocked the mothers phone right? They don't even look that similar. I wouldn't necessarily take Apple's numbers as fact here.

That was a situation where the son had the passcode, they look similar enough that when FaceID failed and he entered the passcode, it updated the model to train on his face as well, making it think they were the same person. This only happens if the code is entered after a failed match and the match is above a certain threshold.

So, it did what it's supposed to do. Don't share your passcode to people who look a lot like you.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hell, if you want to push it you could say my co-workers can just look over my shoulder and grab my 4 or 6 digit pin and unlock my phone, but apparently a pin is more secure than both fingerprints and FaceID.

The issue of FaceID isn't going to be as big in the west, but the two videos shown in this thread prove it is more of an issue in other places.

It really doesn't prove that at all.

FaceID is for shit. Fingerprints are better, but can be lifted I guess.

Have there been any tests on how good the iris scan like in the note 8 is compared to these? My identical twin can't get in my phone with the iris scan, but he can with the facial recognition (duh I guess) even though we have different beards

The iris scanner doesn't work in the dark. It's not a good replacement for either fingerprints or facial recognition.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

The iris scanner doesn't work in the dark. It's not a good replacement for either fingerprints or facial recognition.
It absolutely does work in the dark, at least for my phone (Galaxy Note 8). It's infra red I believe. I unlock my phone in the pitch black of my bedroom in the middle of the night with my irises, and the preview image of my eyes (to line them up with the scanner) is grey

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely does work in the dark, at least for my phone (Galaxy Note 8). It's infra red I believe. I unlock my phone in the pitch black of my bedroom in the middle of the night with my irises, and the preview image of my eyes (to line them up with the scanner) is grey

It's very hit or miss depending on the person and conditions. It also has trouble in sunlight or with sun glasses.

I don't think anyone is really pursuing iris scanning as a viable alternative.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Look at any number of videos available showing how simple it is. Do you not realize that you leave fingerprints on literally everything you touch? With regards to security, FaceID is inherently more secure.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

I don't see any video of this happening with white people. As other's have stated in this thread, it wasn't tested on nearly enough range of races.

Look at any number of videos available showing how simple it is. Do you not realize that you leave fingerprints on literally everything you touch?

Pretty obvious we leave fingerprints everywhere. The question is how easy it is for an average co-worker to lift those prints and apply it to something they can press against the scanner.