Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
This felt like it needed its own thread, because the inability to play with friends who'd changed factions has probably been a key barrier for returning players.

Once the patch is live this evening, Alliance and Horde players can group for most types of content.

Very excited about this. Yes, your Night Elf or Dwarf can group with your Zandalari and Orc buddies now for dungeons, raids and arenas, with some exceptions. (Cross-faction guilds are not coming with this patch, but are speculated for 10.0, especially since they were seemingly accidentally enabled in the test server for today's patch, lol)

Full details on patch 9.2.5, including other new features:

worldofwarcraft.com

Shadowlands: 9.2.5 Content Update Is Now Live - WoW

Details on cross-faction play, including all the prerequisites, exceptions, etc.

worldofwarcraft.com

Shadowlands: A Look at Cross-Faction Instances - WoW

Group up with members of the opposing faction in the Shadowlands 9.2.5 content update.

Cross-faction instances will break the faction divide by allowing friends from the opposite faction to play together. It will also expand opportunities for players to pursue their favorite group content.

To invite members of the opposite faction to a party, players must have a BattleTag or Real ID friendship or be members of a cross-faction WoW Community.

Players will have the ability to find Premade Groups in the Group Finder for dungeons (Normal, Heroic, Mythic, and Mythic+), raids, rated arena/RBGs, and also Torghast. However, the group leader may restrict the listing to same-faction applicants if they choose.

Once in a party, members of the opposite faction will remain unfriendly while outside of instances, though they will be able to communicate through party and raid chat, as well as use /say and /yell within proximity of one another.

Upon entering a dungeon, raid, or rated PvP match, however, all members will be friendly and able to assist each other in combat, trade loot, earn shared achievements, and otherwise fully engage the same way members of the same faction do.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This is really cool, and I'm glad the WoW community is finally getting something I remember begging for when I was playing back during BC/WotLK.

Personally feel like it's too little too late though for the game as a whole, but maybe this will have more of an impact than I'm expecting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm SO FAR out of WoW right now that I'd never be able to come back without losing my mind, but I'm glad this is finally happening. The whole Horde/Alliance conflict has felt so forced for such a long time, with the writers constantly contriving the leaders into being big idiots just to keep them opposed with each other. Good to see it's finally (kind of) starting to change.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Its shocking to me, I used to play the game a lot around Cataclysm time but i dont remember this being a thing. so you couldn't group up with people from the other faction for dungeon content and such? That's wild and stupid

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
This is very good. Still won't make me return but great decision

This should've been implemented a long time ago

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Its shocking to me, I used to play the game a lot around Cataclysm time but i dont remember this being a thing. so you couldn't group up with people from the other faction for dungeon content and such? That's wild and stupid
cataclysm was where they really started beating hard on the "faction conflict is the core of warcraft" drum, which was especially stupid because it was coming off the heels of WotLK where a major theme in the story was "we really have better stuff to be doing than fighting each other"

garrosh got elevated to central figure at that time and the story basically started revolving around him for about 6 years

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
cataclysm was where they really started beating hard on the "faction conflict is the core of warcraft" drum, which was especially stupid because it was coming off the heels of WotLK where a major theme in the story was "we really have better stuff to be doing than fighting each other"

garrosh got elevated to central figure at that time and the story basically started revolving around him for about 6 years
Seems rather foolish and not thinking of the future in case player levels dropped, imagine how much faster queues and such would be if they allowed cross faction matchmaking, no wonder people have been asking for this

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a lore justification for this or is it purely for out-of-game convenience / player QOL?

I last played WoW maybe 2-3 expansions ago but I am *so* over the Horde vs. Alliance faction war stuff. It's long past time for WoW and Warcraft Lore in general to move past it for good.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
This is a good start, but they just need to rip the bandaid off completely at this point and make it for everything. World pvp being the one thing that would need some kind of adjustment.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. Garrosh becoming the "main character" of WoW and the game leaning HARD into "WE GOTTA FIGHT EACH OTHER" due to bullshit like Putress, Sylvanas and Jaina (and Varian's general idiocy) is what lost me with WoW. We had so many examples of the Horde and Alliance actually getting results when they worked together and then the story bent over backwards to constantly force them back into conflict even despite the continued existence of the Argent Dawn/Crusade. It got exhausting very quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Is there a lore justification for this or is it purely for out-of-game convenience / player QOL?

I last played WoW maybe 2-3 expansions ago but I am *so* over the Horde vs. Alliance faction war stuff. It's long past time for WoW and Warcraft Lore in general to move past it for good.

It's because the Horde has a such larger number of players than Alliance, it was just something that needed to happen. However, lorewise it should make sense as well, the factions come together to beat some intergalactic world ending threat and then 2 months later want to kill each other again. It's pretty stupid since it keeps happening over and over.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's because the Horde has a such larger number of players than Alliance, it was just something that needed to happen. However, lorewise it should make sense as well, the factions come together to beat some intergalactic world ending threat and then 2 months later want to kill each other again. It's pretty stupid since it keeps happening over and over.

And it's (almost) always because one NPC goes rogue and kills a bunch of innocent people and then their faction gets blamed for it.

OP
OP
Magnus

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
What's kind of funny is that it mirrors real world politics were stupid and senseless conflicts actually do emerge repeatedly over minor incidents.

I'm not defending it though, it's disappointing writing

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I love the list of dungeons that can't be run... It all makes sense, but really they should just default the instance type to the party leader's faction when entered.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
What's kind of funny is that it mirrors real world politics were stupid and senseless conflicts actually do emerge repeatedly over minor incidents.

I'm not defending it though, it's disappointing writing

Oh for sure, in the real world we would get invaded by Aliens, every Country would come together to beat them. Then we would go right back to wanting to destroy each other. Blizzard writers having the ability to make sure that doesn't happen and still do it though might actually be worse lol. Real world governments are never going to change so that is what it is.

vahlorie

Oct 26, 2017
I understand Blizzard's hesitance to go all in on cross-faction because the faction conflict has been a big part of Warcraft since the beginning, but at this point it absolutely feels arbitrary, and even harmful to the health of the game with how lop-sided that conflict has become in terms of player population and endgame progression.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember back in 2004/2005 when applying to join an Alliance guild on a PVP server it had a section to declare how much you hated the Horde. I still remember my first ever encounter with real Horde players, them slinking around in the dark behind some trees at the boundary to a village I was questing in. It felt like spotting a mythical and grotesque creature. Vile things, I'd have nothing to do with them.

But then it wasn't long before I felt that actually, their animations and such were just more interesting than those of the Alliance races, so I switched sides and never went back.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Have played every Warcraft game ever made and all of WoW and its expansions, so I've always felt Horde vs Alliance has been the core part of the game's DNA. I don't really know how to feel about this change yet but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Have played every Warcraft game ever made and all of WoW and its expansions, so I've always felt Horde vs Alliance has been the core part of the game's DNA. I don't really know how to feel about this change yet but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

It hasn't been for the longest time. Both faction kept cooperating for huge cosmic threat. It hasn't been about Alliance vs Horde for a long time. Even in Battle for Azeroth the whole A v H happens with the mission table and pretty much none with the expansion story.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is fantastic news as someone who plays alliance and only engages with randoms in PvE content (guilds = schedules). If you want to run m+ you basically need to be online during specific times (evening) and days (more likely to find a group during weekend) which sucks for me because I want to spam it whenever I happen to be online but can't due to low activity.

As a night elf resto druid I feel like hordes would welcome me on their team xD. I hope there isn't the perception still floating around as in the past that only kids or low-skilled people play alliance lol.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Alliance players got screwed if I remember correctly thats all
What happened to the alliance? I remember Horde being the less desirable faction because their ratial abilities were worse for raiding and their transportation system was less convenient. Their major hubs were also harder to navigate.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
What happened to the alliance? I remember Horde being the less desirable faction because their ratial abilities were worse for raiding and their transportation system was less convenient. Their major hubs were also harder to navigate.
The Horde are WAY bigger than Alliance. So the Alliance had a tough time getting matched together

This where the cross-faction comes and saves the day. All my characters are Horde so I never struggled

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
alliance definitely did not get screwed so i'm not sure where that's coming from, but ever since they revamped the racials around Wrath, horde has been far and away the better choice for PvE

we're talking like, about 1% advantage in some cases, but that's enough to push the high end to the horde side and it doesn't take long for everyone else to follow them, because that's where the money and the community is

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Ten billion years after I stopped playing WoW, they finally implement this half measure approach.

Rokam

Oct 29, 2017
alliance definitely did not get screwed so i'm not sure where that's coming from, but ever since they revamped the racials around Wrath, horde has been far and away the better choice for PvE

we're talking like, about 1% advantage in some cases, but that's enough to push the high end to the horde side and it doesn't take long for everyone else to follow them, because that's where the money and the community is

Goblin Rocket Jump probably should have been removed at some point.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017

It's entirely a player base problem. I don't know all the ins and outs of what originally tipped the balance, but horde has had the player base for hardcore endgame content for years, and it's steadily become a negative spiral as new alliance players seeking to progress through content were forced to switch factions or fall behind/have few to play with, while even though alliance has clear and out better racials (shadowmeld is busted) there's been negative incentive for anyone Horde to switch except for the odd mythic+ and/or arena competition and the like (and they'd just switch back horde afterwards anyway)

When you consider this on top of the fact WoW isn't exactly a bugeoningly growing game anymore, it's a problem that's almost impossible to fix without just eradicating barriers to cross-faction play entirely.

Bengraven