Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Thought this was an interesting website, which ranks the 100 best cities in the World via numerous factors. It's definitely a different ranking than the Global Cities Initiative, which notes that San Jose is a Gamma City.

77. New Orleans (Fuck you)
76. Phoenix (At least my hometown made it...sort of)

(Don't care)

47. Austin (I'm waiting for the day it's Number one. Some day, Austin, some day Austin)

(don't care)

35. Dallas
34. Seattle
33. Dublin
32. Milan
31. Houston (Finally)
30. Munich
29. Prague
28. Seoul
27. San Diego
26. Miami
25. Frankfurt
24. Las Vegas (Nice!)
23. Sydney
22. Berlin
21. Beijing
20. Hong Kong
19. Zurich
18. Washington DC
17. Toronto
16. San Jose
15. Boston
14. Rome
13. Los Angeles (Should be higher, IMO)
12. Amsterdam
11. Madrid
10. San Francisco (Over Los Angeles? Come on)
9. Dubai
8. Singapore
7. Chicago
6. Moscow
5. Barcelona
4. Tokyo (good contender for No. 1, IMO)
3. New York City (Ditto, natch)
2. Paris
1. London

Yeah, would personally put Tokyo or NYC as No. 1. Dubai doesn't deserve to be on any of these lists, fuck that place. Los Angeles being ranked below any city besides NYC is pure bullshit.

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
The most corporate overpriced hellhole comes in first? I think not.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no.

Berlin and Frankfurt both ranking above Munich is all you need to know (as in: this list is bullshit).

Also this:

A ranking of the World's Best cities with metro populations of a million people or more.

Then why are there towns like Stuttgart in this list with just 600k inhabitants?! Someone clearly didn't make their homework when they made this.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Usually I don't disagree a lot with these kinds of city rankings. In this case, however, I do.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
>69. Ottawa

List invalidated for even having this city on the list. Also Taipei is top 3.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like London as much as the next man, but first?, christ on a bike.

Sydney not in the top 10 and AMS at 12th?, nah bruv.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah, sorry but no. Tons of great cities missing, tons of hellholes on the top 20.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A city like Dubai in the top ten is kinda ridiculous. It's certainly not the best city for a lot of people...

Vienna in 39? Was this list created just using a random number generator? Boo, I say
Berlin and Frankfurt both ranking above Munich is all you need to know (as in: this list is bullshit).

Yep, Vienna is usually ranked as one of, if not THE , most livable city in a lot of rankings. Munich is usually also ranked very highly.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
London is alright but no 1? Nah

Tokyo is cool. Amsterdam is fine – and I live there. Barcelona is nice, Rome too. San Francisco kinda sucks. WHy is Kyoto not on the list

Utrecht should be no 1

Oct 28, 2017
They uh need to update their Elizabeth Line details in the London description, that's for sure. Didn't open in December 2018 and it certainly won't be open this December either.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
CleverBlissfulBrahmancow.gif

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So these are the categories in which the cities were scored:

Place:
The perceived quality of a city's natural and built environment, including the sub-categories of Weather, Safety, Neighborhoods & Landmarks, and Outdoors.

Product:
A city's key institutions, attractions and infrastructure, including the sub-categories of Airport Connectivity, Attractions, Museums, University Ranking, Convention Center, and Pro Sports teams.

Programming:
The arts, culture, entertainment and culinary scene in a city, including the sub-categories of Shopping, Culture, Restaurants, and Nightlife.

People:
The immigration rate and diversity of a city, including the sub-categories of Foreign Born and Educational Attainment.

Prosperity:
A city's employment and corporate head offices, including the sub-categories of Fortune 500 Companies and Household Income.

Promotion:
The quantity of stories, references and recommendations shared online about a city, including the sub-categories of Google Search Results, Google Trends, Facebook Check-ins, Instagram Hashtags, and TripAdvisor Reviews.

https://www.bestcities.org/methodology/

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I live in London (i have for around 15 years) and i've been to Tokyo several times.

IMO Tokyo is better than London in almost every way i can think of.

This list is nonsense.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is already going as expected.

Houston at 31 is okay with me, though. đź‘Ť

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Berlin should be in the top ten. Potentially the top five, best creative scene, fantastic nightlife and shopping, not overly busy yet feels like a real city, the people are great. Only thing letting it down would be the food.

Barcelona is too high and I really like the city, too many tourists but I'd prefer to live there over all those that came higher.

Top four feel cookie cutter id personally put them further down the list but still in the top ten as they are all oversaturated. Tokyo is the only one I'd keep in the top 5.

I think this is a better list regarding cities: https://monocle.com/film/affairs/quality-of-life-survey-top-25-cities-2019/

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell are Milwaukee and St. Louis doing on this list? They barely even register in the top 100 cities in the US, let alone the world

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
My housing price gets negatively affected just by being in the radius of London, so fuck that. It's good for a day or weekend out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I saw. San Jose is just... OK.

Also Florence > Milan, TBQH.

But it wouldn't be a list topic if we couldn't complain about rankings.

San Jose definitely has a lot going for it though, it's just boring as fuck. It's where the real money in Silicon Valley is. The level of wealth in that city is insane, and it's insanely educated.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Berlin should be in the top ten. Potentially the top five, best creative scene, fantastic nightlife and shopping, not overly busy yet feels like a real city, the people are great. Only thing letting it down would be the food.

Berlin today is a dirty, overcrowded and extremely expensive shithole populated by the rudest people you'll ever encounter.
I've been here for six years.

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, Hamburg and Dusseldorf are all too low.

Birmingham being on the list at all is hysterical. As is Krakow not being.

No Edinburgh?!?

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
San Jose definitely has a lot going for it though, it's just boring as fuck. It's where the real money in Silicon Valley is. The level of wealth in that city is insane, and it's insanely educated.

I know it's built up a lot since I lived in the valley, which was a long time ago. My recollection of San Jose is just endless blah.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah basically. Take San Francisco for example, how much does it cost to live in a nice area where there aren't crackhead homeless shitting in the streets?
Yea, I can't take seriously ANY list that doesn't take cost of living into consideration.

Like, what the fuck?

Maybe if the publication was titled, "World's Best Cities To Visit".

I guess that's what it is, really. Even then, it's a pretty bad list.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo is my #1. If family/friends weren't a factor/were teleported there I'd move there in a heartbeat.