London
Chicago
Santa Monica
Los Angeles
————
Berlin
Biarritz
Valetta

There are more cities I've visited or lived in, but none of them stuck out to me in the same way as those above. San Diego, St. Louis, Krakow, Cologne, Helsinki etc. Even Paris didn't make an impression on me.

I have never been to Asia, Australia, and South America though, and i'd love to visit someday.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
San Francisco over LA and San Diego is laughable. Sky high rent for old ass living spaces, no good food under 15 dollars, homeless shit on the streets, unattractive people, I could go on. I lived in all 3 cities and the only thing SF has going for it is that it pays you well if you're in tech.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little bit surprised Vancouver is behind Toronto honestly. Also feel Montreal could be higher but maybe I'm just a biased Canadian. Love Montreal though.

aSniperJones

Oct 26, 2017
District of Columbia
I live in DC and I went through a period where I REALLY disliked it and questioned why people visit here other than for a quick trip from NYC, but now I really love it... I'm still moving to another country.

You can find whatever environment you enjoy here, prosperity is obtainable, the diversity is clear, FUCK GENTRIFICATION, but even with that the diversity is still visible and everyone has the potential to prosper... and yes, it's expensive and yes, there's a wealth gap... but where ever you frequent you see both ends spectrums enjoying the same space.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin should be higher. I visited there recently and loved it. I'd live there over London or NYC in a heartbeat.

ColorMeImpressed

Alt account
Banned
Jul 24, 2019
I feel like living in the 3rd best city means I made a good call.

Los Angeles definitely belongs behind San Fran. LA is a miserably structured city that feels like am endless stretch of semi-urban and suburban areas more than a proper city-city. More of a county that a city, really, difficult to navigate, and decentralized.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm surprised Seattle isn't higher, it's a cool city with lots of great natural stuff to explore just outside.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dallas is higher than Austin I can't even. Dallas is the most generic, boring, cookie cutter city I've ever been to. Absolutely no character, the downtown completely empties out after work hours, everywhere smells like piss, and the traffic is horrible. Disgusting smoldering concrete jungle. Bleh. The only thing I'll give it is the light rail system is surprisingly ok for such a conservative shithole.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
I refuse to believe Sydney, or any US city that isn't NY, LA or Chicago is better than Melbourne.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, Moscow and Dubai?

I see there were no lgbtq people involved in the making of this.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
If you got money, LA is basically an adult playground. And let's not talk about food, because none of the cities on the list are even close to touching LA.

asari

Oct 25, 2017
Seoul should be top 10
Great people, transportation, food, nightlife, and more cheap then the rest.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
That is a strange list.

I cant figure out how the graph is weighted. feels like opinion dressed up in science.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I misread, sorry.
Also, who cares about metro population.
The city Stuttgart is 80 square miles large.
The metro region is 5900 square miles. Less than 1/20th of the population density of the city. Why would that population be relevant?
(i sound dismissive but I'm genuinely asking)

If you lived in a town that borders London for example do you think London has 0 influence on it? Metro areas matter because a cities influence extend way past it's borders. People may not necessarily live in a city proper, but they can still work, shop, visit, etc... in that city.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Vancouver used to dominate these lists, and now it doesn't even place in the top 100. The extreme cost of living and fentanyl epidemic must have sullied its reputation.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If you lived in a town that borders London for example do you think London has 0 influence on it? Metro areas matter because a cities influence extend way past it's borders. People may not necessarily live in a city proper, but they can still work, shop, visit, etc... in that city.
Well, sure. But while London city has a population of almost 9 million and a metro area of 3,236 square miles, Stuttgart city, with 600k people, has a metro area of 5,900 square miles.
It just makes the whole "one million people in the metro area" list seem a bit arbitrary.
Makes me wonder if they considered places like Cardiff, Mannheim, Bremen, Gothenburg, Tuscon, Grand Rapids or Buffalo.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver used to dominate these lists, and now it doesn't even place in the top 100. The extreme cost of living and fentanyl epidemic must have sullied its reputation.
Vancouver still ranks high on "liveable cities" lists which use different criteria. And those lists are usually low on American cities because of health care, crime rates, etc..

Oct 25, 2017
Well, sure. But while London city has a population of almost 9 million and a metro area of 3,236 square miles, Stuttgart city, with 600k people, has a metro area of 5,900 square miles.
It just makes the whole "one million people in the metro area" list seem a bit arbitrary.
Makes me wonder if they considered places like Cardiff, Mannheim, Bremen, Gothenburg, Tuscon, Grand Rapids or Buffalo.

London's metro area is pretty small relative to it's size. NYC for example has a similar population in its city proper yet has about 3 times as many people in it's metro area and has a size 13,318 Square miles. So i'd say London is the weird one in that regard and not Stuttgart. And they probably did consider those cities you mention but they probably suck hence why they didn't make the least. At the very least I know buffalo does.