sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
"Writers Wanking Off a Character, for $300. Here's your clue: This character in Objectivist novel Atlas Shrugged ends the book with a dedicated 60-page monologue meant to represent the core of the author's philosophy."

"Who is John Galt?"

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Zoro? Oden?

It's fucking Sabo who is the weird wank character in One Piece tbh.
Then the answer is actually Ace, because Sabo is just Oda's "I need an Ace-like figure but oops I killed him off."

Ace, though. Got introduced as this awesome powerful character, build-up to be an important figure. The series went to two arcs about rescuing him, culminated in a world-changing war between all powerful factions. Then he got himself killed in the stupidest way possible, making all of his comrades' efforts and sacrifices for naught.

And it's ultimately framed as this noble, admirable thing instead of a dumb reaction of a guy who can't put his temper in check.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
93324-2019110123500600-3c66b776db1aa06323037049facd96d3-article_m-1.jpg

Also the guy who for no reason has never lost (the first time such a claim has been made) but shows nothing of why that would be and is a pushover like everyone else in the game.

Leon's dream of Galar being the strongest region doesn't seem like it will happen if they can't even beat him. Imagine if a real challenging character from pre-3DS showed up there.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I mean even if you dislike Luffy (which I don't get personally, he's amazing) I don't see how that applies in this thread. Oda lets Luffy lose a lot and he has plenty of flaws that get brought up all the time. I definitely don't think this thread is applicable to him regardless of whether you like the character, unless you think the idea that the main character of a show gets to look cool and be praised during climatic moments is "wanking a character off"

TBF the majority of shouts in here are just posters' personal dislike of a character. What exactly is wanking off? I could pick half the shouts in here and point out a moment where they were humiliated or made to look like an idiot.

At the end of the day, a lot of media is just a power fantasy so of course you're going to have fan favourites looking good. So again, majority of posts in here = personal dislike.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Big Boss. Started out as a bad guy, but Kojima grew to love the character so much that he changed the whole story and added an awful retcon to get out of making him a real villain.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to read the Name of the Wind soon. You guys are exaggerating right? Like with the Star Wars movies and Matrix sequels.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Horatio Caine from CSI: Miami.
Horatio_Caine.jpg

My girlfriend was watching this, so I decided to check it out with her. This dude runs point for Swat even though he's a Crime Scene Investigator. He marries his subordinate's younger sister after like four episodes of knowing her. He constantly outmaneuvers people smarter than him and always gets the last line. It's like a white man's power fantasy.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Sung Jin-Woo from Solo Leveling
https://storage./cdn/useruploads/display/305fdff7-f3dc-4bfd-9981-9bae4df61e49_solosuit2.jpg

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to read the Name of the Wind soon. You guys are exaggerating right? Like with the Star Wars movies and Matrix sequels.

The protagonist is (eventually) the world's greatest magician, a world-class musician with multiple instruments, an amazing poet, an incredible magical blacksmith, as well as the smartest guy at his university. His only supposed weakness is being "bad with women", which basically amounts to all of the women in the story falling in love with him, but he doesn't realize it.

Despite all this, the first book manages to be fairly enjoyable and is worth a read.

However in the second book it gets so bad that it crosses over into parody. For instance,
the protagonist gets kidnapped by the succubus fairy queen, and she has sex with him for like a year straight, but he is so good at sex that she ends up subservient to him.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"Writers Wanking Off a Character, for $300. Here's your clue: This character in Objectivist novel Atlas Shrugged ends the book with a dedicated 60-page monologue meant to represent the core of the author's philosophy."

"Who is John Galt?"

Yeah, this is probably the correct answer.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When Chris Chibnal decided to randomly make the Doctor some sort of immortal God that all Time Lords are powered by. There's jumping the shark, then there's whatever that man did.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Neighbours was lucky to find Margot Robbie who played Donna.

Talented, wonderful person, gorgeous, funny, every woman wanted to be her and every guy be with her. No not Donna, that's how her friend Bridget was portrayed despite showing exactly none of those charachteristcs and being played by a truly terrible actress. Her boyfriend once gave up a football career because she was throwing a tantrum and everyone thought that was reasonable. Time and time again she'd be centre of everything and praised by all for no damn reason. The ultimate Mary Sue.

Margot Robbie was essentially her sidekick despite being a better character in every sense and 100x better actress. Everything said about Bridget actually applied to Donna but she was an adorkable outcast.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Read The Name of the Wind sometime.
I know Kvothe is supposed to be an unreliable narrator hyping himself up, but yeah. That wasn't my only problem with the book, but it was a big factor in avoiding the second book.
I have to say it's pretty funny seeing people complain about Name of the Wind, because if you think that's bad, Wise Man's Fear says "Hold my Beer".
Here's an unpopular one

A lot of the time Steven Moffat wanked the Doctor in terms of his signifcance to the world.

1010ccdbc552ff77e25422b572742ca3.jpg
No, you're completely right. I get Moffat wanting to give the Doctor some mythic importance, but during his run (Eleven, especially) was basically The Most Important Person in the Universe.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I have to say it's pretty funny seeing people complain about Name of the Wind, because if you think that's bad, Wise Man's Fear says "Hold my Beer".

No, you're completely right. I get Moffat wanting to give the Doctor some mythic importance, but during his run (Eleven, especially) was basically The Most Important Person in the Universe.
I 100% agree with Council of Geeks, The Doctor being the most important person in the universe is a baaad idea (it's also one of the reason why Timless Children was bad)

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
For the most part I also agree about the Kvothe and Denna stuff. Although I will say I liked their interaction at the end of the first book. That whole part actually built up some goodwill, but it doesn't last through the second book lol. I always felt that Kvothe and Denna were assholes in some very similar ways.

We're on the same page there. I really loved what they did with them at the end of the first book. And then I agree it actually felt like book 2 was nothing but steps backwards there. Obviously that's intentional to some degree as Kvothe's friends comment on the misery/infatuation merry-go-round Kvothe has with her, but...just because it's intentional doesn't mean it's enjoyable, haha.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Personally what I think of the EU character Dr Aphra. She's bad when it's cool, but good when it's important to not make folks mad, so she's always perfectly in the middle to not upset anyone. She has run ins with pretty much everything and everyone important, outsmarts everyone somehow no matter how big a character it is. But then to make her seem flawed she has personal drama moments to herself all sads like. But then it's time to clown on another major SW character.

May 9, 2019
Hashirama and Madara were ridiculously wanked in the war. Every chapter, Kishi had to remind us how strong they were in their glory days and had to retcon them being" the gods of shinobi" when he himself, wrote that the 3rd Hokage surpassed the previous ones.

Every Uchiha is also wanked thanks to the constant ass pull of the Sharingan.

Dec 30, 2020
Lunaris from the DuckTales reboot was ALMOST a wanky character before they did the brilliant move of making him so smart he couldn't comprehend an idiotic plan and got defeated by it.