• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
If gaming ultimately did become all cloud based/streaming, what type of effect would this have on your enjoyment of video games?

For example, in an all cloud gaming future, your local hardware simply would not matter. You would be able to play, say, the new God of War on Playstation, PC, SmartTV, phone, or even your 7 year old laptop. The processing power of your device would simply be irrelevant, as all processing would be done on the back end. Anyone could play any game on any device.

I know that talking about hardware is a big part of this industry for many people, myself included. I absolutely love reading about the latest rumors about the tech that could potentially go inside the PS5/next Xbox. I love watching Digital Foundry's videos on GPUs and framerates and how different processor and GPU combinations can yield different results for different games. Talking and reading about hardware is a major part of video games as a hobby for me - but in an all cloud future, the hardware part of the equation is suddenly gone, since it simply would not matter.

Would this potential future affect your enjoyment of video games in any way?

Zippro

May 20, 2018
Yes, because when the servers go down it means you can't play the game anymore. Imagine if movies like Mad Max: Fury Road or games like Breath of the Wild were only available for streaming and then disappeared forever after 5 years because they couldn't keep up costs for that one title. Every game would become a "You had to be there." experience.

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck that. I love hardware. Having my entire hobby exist at the whim of a corporation with their servers, or the government flipping a switch to kill services, is insanity.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I think there's potential but certainly not right now. If we can ever get to a point where USB-C tier speeds are standard for internet connections, I'd be fine with it. Latency would still be a problem, though. If those issues can be sorted out then I'm down for it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Literally
Like all the servers for this stuff is in the USA, Europe on Japan, so the latency here in south america is literally unplayable.

I would probably reach a good amount of backlog when it happens so i will just survive for the rest of my life with "retro" games =P

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my mega drive and super nes hooked up, so i guess I'll play that instead. Maybe one day streaming will be as perfect as having a physical game, but in the meantime it'll suck ass.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's potential but certainly not right now. If we can ever get to a point where USB-C tier speeds are standard for internet connections, I'd be fine with it. Latency would still be a problem, though. If those issues can be sorted out then I'm down for it.
Latency issues are thanks to the fundamental laws of physics, you can't get around them short of pre-emptive computing (in which case some local computing by the client would be required anyway, so why not fucking go all the way)

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it would.

Just thinking about how unreliable the Mario Tennis Aces demo was gives me shudders for the idea of requiring a constant, reliable internet connection.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it's anything like Playstation Now, yes, I'd rather give up gaming than deal with that shit.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be out completely and focus on what's already out and revisit all the classics I want to replay anyway but don't really get around to at the moment and explore even more retro gaming goodness. Hell, I probably wouldn't even be that bothered by it.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.
I expect this to happen sooner or later.

I feel people are still too attached to hardware, but someday that has to go.

Oct 28, 2017
Right now the best games on the market are console exclusive games made for certain pieces of hardware, to help sell that hardware.

Once that motivation is taken away and the Sony's of the world only make a God of War game to make sure you sign up for their gamepass over Microsoft's something will have been lost in the process. Instead of showing off the hardware it will be all about getting its claws in so you will keep subscribing next month.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It will eventually happen and I can't see why that would affect my enjoyment. Having all the processing done in the backend would eliminate all worry about the player having a good enough device to run your game and (at least in theory) devs could go for whatever they want. No limitations in graphics or AI. Also, not needing to have an specific machine to play a game would help become the medium more popular and bring up a lot of new possibilities.

It won't become a standard until Internet speed becomes good enough for most people, so it will still take a while (not before 2030 IMO).

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
If the technology's there (I.E., no stuttering, good picture quality, no input delay) I don't see why I'd be too opposed to it, at least initially.

That said, would I want everything to be cloud based? No, but there's definitely a use for it in a lot of cases.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be much less invested in the medium, yes. I like owning the media I enjoy. Netflix hasn't replaced buying Blu-Rays of shows or films I really care about, game streaming wouldn't either.

That said, they aren't going to stop selling movies on disc any time soon so I don't think games will be any different. Why eliminate an additional revenue stream?

Deleted member 44288

Banned
May 30, 2018
It takes me a good while for my NetZero free disc-like speeds to load pages on here. So I can't imagine loading any game above Asteroids would be possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, until the tech was properly sorted out I wouldn't be interested, and even then I don't like the idea of losing any sense of ownership and being at the whim of the service providers.
I don't mind this as much with Netflix because I can still buy Blu-rays and I don't care about movies and TV as much as games anyways.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all digital and ready to ditch my library when nextgen arrives, I don't replay SP games really apart from some 16 bit stuff.
But it would have to feel exactly the same and I can't see that happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't bother me at all as long as the infrastructure/tech is there. There couldn't be any perceivable input delay/compression for me to truly be okay with it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
yes. if corps try and take my ownership of games away and lock them behind a fucking cloud service, consider me done.

Apologists for this garbage be gone

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would the games be as responsive as I'm used to them today, on my gsync setup?

Would the differences in visual quality due to video compression be noticable?

Would I have the same level of access to my games as I do now? (would I have to worry about ISP and service outages, do I still get to install mods to my games 10 years after they're released, etc etc)

These are pretty big factors, and I think I know the real-world answers to these for the foreseeable future.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If the internet were perfect I'd be all for it. But it isn't. And I don't think it will be any time soon.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Less invested for sure but only because i'm situated in a good location where it wouldn't be a problem. As a whole, the idea would be godawful though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yea it definitely would, I wouldn't walk away forever or anything but new gaming would become an after thought and something I rarely spend my time on, I would focus on the past games I already own and can get my hands on whenever I wanted to play something.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would kill the games I like to play (fighting, tight platforming) so yeah it would be apocalyptic to me.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The technology and infrastructure doesn't realistically exist to make cloud gaming a viable choice for either the user or the company. It probably won't be completely viable until the tail end of my lifespan too.

So, based upon that, no, I wouldn't want an all cloud/streaming future.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, it would ruint it, and I have a great connection with no cap and a lot of external HDs.

Luckily I have a lot of consoles to play on, so on 2nd thought, it would ruin only next gen or whatever gen that goes digital only.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Right now, we're limited by what we know and can experience. If a game streaming service 10 years from now offers whatever the resolution/framerate standard is at the time with no noticeable latency or input lag, then absolutely, that would be pretty cool. Until then, nope. I hate input lag with a passion.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I do a lot of offline gaming, so a cloud future would fuck me over, specially because internet providers in my country arent exactly the best.

All digital, would be slightly betetr, but i'd prefer to have the option of physical media because you cant revoke the license of a disc.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
More than tbe hardware aspect I'm actually worried where the mentality would start shaping the games. I'm not sure that titles born out of an always online streaming environent would be something I'd like. Especially if the focus is on service content.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just not worth it with the lag and constant streaming using too much data. Might as well download. Anyway we don't even have an all digital console yet.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Used to be 300mbps/100mbps minimum but recently I downgrade it to 100mbps/60mbps minimum cause I really don't need that much.

Not fast by any means, but more than enough for streaming.
I tried PSNow back when I had 100/100 and I thought it ran horribly. I'm curious what speeds we'll have to before I don't notice any lag or loading during the game. My speeds are higher now but I'm not willing to pay for PS Now to find out. Have you tried it at 300mbps?