• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would it be smart?

• Yes

Votes: 283 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,793 86.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Why? Are we forgetting these consoles do so much more than playing exclusives?
These are power upgrades.
This is a good point. I own all the platforms including a nice PC so I always forget that if it is someone's only platform there are reasons to upgrade that I would never consider.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really make sense to me. It's gonna sell out in November, it would sell out in March. By the time it's readily available for people unconvinced by the launch lineup, there will be a ton more software out for it anyway.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
We usually get threads like this prior to a new generation. No, doesn't make them any less ridiculous, but I always look forward to takes like them. :P
Hey, if it does get delayed tho, I will become a legend! Lmao.

For the record I don't think it is going to be delayed, but nothing would surprise me at this point

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This is a good point. I own all the platforms including a nice PC so I always forget that if it is someone's only platform there are reasons to upgrade that I would never consider.
I just feel like we forgot why we were hyped about months ago for these consoles. Next gen isn't just about visuals but performance. A guaranteed 60fps @4k for some third party games that use to be 30 is worth the price of admission for me personally.

the exclusives will come but the holidays are for the third parties anyway.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I worry about the developers trying to finish these games for launch too. I can't even imagine how anxiety inducing it must be to crunch as wfh and not be able to communicate in the ways youre used to while trying to meet deadlines and expectations to kick off a whole new generation. Must be extremely frustrating. They probably cant even bring people in for play testing right? How is QA working? It must be a nightmare.

At this point a lot of teams are back in office in at least some capacity, mostly on a need-to-be-in-the-office basis.

Great project management also compensates for most of this. Also, I know people who work in the industry that would be happier crunching at home, because at least then they can take breaks/see family or pets/etc.

Playtesting is mostly done in small groups in enclosed environments, so unless people aren't willing to travel at all, playtesting can still be going on. Same with QA, dev kits can be moved, laptops can be given, etc.

I'm not seeing a giant need for well-managed projects to get more than slight delays, at most, since most of these projects used remote teams anyways, such as outsourcing partners or other studios.

So a lot of your concern is a bit misfounded. COVID-19 is inevitably having an impact, but that impact can be mostly compensated for/reduced with good management.

As is your concern about price/launch games/etc. The reason Sony hasn't said anything right now is because they want to get the message (price, place for preorders, launch games, etc.) out there all at once and not have to go back and constantly adjust the message due to games possibly slipping or the market fluctuating wildly due to COVID.

We will know the prices by late September/early October at the absolute latest and that's fine, it's going to have a minimal impact on preorders since they are already hitting the market hard with marketing already.

Be patient, everything will be fine :)

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I just feel like we forgot why we were hyped about months ago for these consoles. Next gen isn't just about visuals but performance. A guaranteed 60fps @4k for some third party games that use to be 30 is worth the price of admission for me personally.

the exclusives will come but the holidays are for the third parties anyway.
Right that's something I forget about because Id always rather play my 3rd party stuff at 1440p 120fps on my computer. It will be nice for the multiplayer games I buy to play with friends, or stuff like COD that I prefer a controller for.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm really picky and I have a wife who is picky too lol. Idk, I have a $7,000+ living room set-up and go out of my way to keep things nice, simple and sleek. The PS5 design throws a wrench into the whole thing. I'll likely keep it on the floor behind the TV stand, I really can't stand it.

I doubt the PS5's look is going to ruin the living room, but if hiding it away helps you and your wife then that seems like the best solution. I really believe that these thoughts are way worse than how people feel when they have the product in their hands since consoles of any design just blend into the set-up once they become familiar in our homes.

Honestly, all consoles look quite off in a perfect living room layout but they are completely worth it lol

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not, unless a disaster happens. The machine is ready, people are craving for it. They just need to make sure Miles Morales is ready and if the rumors concerning Demon's Souls at launch are true, then that's an amazing line-up. Add cyberpunk to that and a desire to move on to next gen and it's a sure bet. Playstation 5 will sell out everywhere regardless.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I doubt the PS5's look is going to ruin the living room, but if hiding it away helps you and your wife then that seems like the best solution. I really believe that these thoughts are way worse than how people feel when they have the product in their hands since consoles of any design just blend into the set-up once they become familiar in our homes.

Honestly, all consoles look quite off in a perfect living room layout but they are completely worth it lol
I hate that it's asymmetrical when horizontal. It is just so gaudy

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My current launch lineup for both XSX and PS5

I own a pro but haven't gotten around to playing these yet and now I figure I'd just wait...and yes I did play god of war and yes it's the best game this gen

PS5
Last of Us 2
Ghosts
Horizon
Spiderman Miles Morales

I do most online gaming and 3rd party games on Xbox and the extra power is really going to benefit the usual games I play and some I haven't.

XSX
Gears 5
Destiny 2
Sea of Thieves
Cyberpunk *hope XSX version is sooner than later but at least OG version will still run better
Medium

yeah I am pretty pumped for both consoles to get here ASAP

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I honestly think the takes are going to get worse, once this thing is in peoples hands. No tech sites, youtubers...people have held one of these things yet, or put one in their living room.

The thing is massive, bigger than a fat PS3 its absolutely expect there to be some hot takes, and genuine concerns once this thing is out there.

For those that love it though, good on you :)

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman is a big enough launch game. They cant deop everything at once and games need to be spaced out to avoid a drought. Sony seems to have everything planned out. I really dont see a reason for them to delay. If anything Xbox would make more sense to delay because of Halo.

Oct 24, 2019
They have launch games ready, their consoles are ready to go, their competitor is in a vulnerable position, it would make zero sense for Sony to delay their console.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I honestly think the takes are going to get worse, once this thing is in peoples hands. No tech sites, youtubers...people have held one of these things yet, or put one in their living room.

The thing is massive, bigger than a fat PS3 its absolutely expect there to be some hot takes, and genuine concerns once this thing is out there.

For those that love it though, good on you :)

And a week-ish later people will be fine as it becomes a familiar item in their homes.

Exactly right, it'll probably be THE game most of us will play on our new machines anyway.

Well, even if Cyberpunk is delayed I think the PS5 will be fine. Sony is boasting about their line-up and pushing their games mainly to get people hyped for their launch.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that it's asymmetrical when horizontal. It is just so gaudy
I suspect it's designed that way for a reason. One of the components inside may need the extra space for cooling but Sony didn't want to made the entire system fatter. Same reason why the top of the unit has those weird protruding wedges - it ensures the vents have enough clearance even if something is placed tightly against the console when laid flat.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would they?

Unlike Microsoft they've shown dozens of games running on the hardware and have a decent launch/first year line up. They've also increased manufacturing.
Sony are the ones that are ready.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
It would make zero sense for Sony to delay PS5, there's no reason to they actually have some interesting games to launch with, IMO it would make more sense for MS to have these considerations since Halo infinite got delayed, but I don't actually think MS will delay their console either, who knows maybe they have some hidden launch games we don't know about yet.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I suspect it's designed that way for a reason. One of the components inside may need the extra space for cooling but Sony didn't want to made the entire system fatter. Same reason why the top of the unit has those weird protruding wedges - it ensures the vents have enough clearance even if something is placed tightly against the console when laid flat.
Yeah it makes sense from a cooling perspective, I just think it's really ugly.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
And a week-ish later people will be fine as it becomes a familiar item in their homes.

Well, even if Cyberpunk is delayed I think the PS5 will be fine. Sony is boasting about their line-up and pushing their games mainly to get people hyped for their launch.

Yeah, I guess you maybe right.... As long as its quiet. Which it has to be.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Giving your competitor a head start is the worst thing one can do. Especially when you have a stronger lineup in this case. If the console and launch games were in shambles holding off makes sense, but there is zero indication of that being the case. So… why wait?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think right now, both console manufacturers would be better off if they could delay to early 2021. The software clearly isn't there for these launch lineups, the price is going to come off as completely toxic in the current economic climate, and developers just don't have the broadband right now to properly support the hardware.

The issue is, neither one wants to be the only one to delay. It only works if both jump, and right now neither one wants to make the move first. Because there's a huge benefit to having an entire holiday to yourself.

They're stuck in a prisoner's dilemma. Both would be better off if they chose to delay, but the fear of being the only one to make that move will leave them right where they are.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
If you asked me 4 months ago at the start of the pandemic: Yes, because it was very uncertain how production lines would manage. It's not perfect, but they're managing a lot better than I imagined, so there's no reason to delay anymore.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I think right now, both console manufacturers would be better off if they could delay to early 2021. The software clearly isn't there for these launch lineups, the price is going to come off as completely toxic in the current economic climate, and developers just don't have the broadband right now to properly support the hardware.

The issue is, neither one wants to be the only one to delay. It only works if both jump, and right now neither one wants to make the move first. Because there's a huge benefit to having an entire holiday to yourself.

They're stuck in a prisoner's dilemma. Both would be better off if they chose to delay, but the fear of being the only one to make that move will leave them right where they are.
This is where I'm at. Neither is going to delay though. And the hardcore fans will buy no matter what. I haven't heard any of my casualish gamer friends even mention either console though, so I wonder what the consensus is outside of people who follow the industry.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
At this point a lot of teams are back in office in at least some capacity, mostly on a need-to-be-in-the-office basis.

Great project management also compensates for most of this. Also, I know people who work in the industry that would be happier crunching at home, because at least then they can take breaks/see family or pets/etc.

Playtesting is mostly done in small groups in enclosed environments, so unless people aren't willing to travel at all, playtesting can still be going on. Same with QA, dev kits can be moved, laptops can be given, etc.

I'm not seeing a giant need for well-managed projects to get more than slight delays, at most, since most of these projects used remote teams anyways, such as outsourcing partners or other studios.

So a lot of your concern is a bit misfounded. COVID-19 is inevitably having an impact, but that impact can be mostly compensated for/reduced with good management.

As is your concern about price/launch games/etc. The reason Sony hasn't said anything right now is because they want to get the message (price, place for preorders, launch games, etc.) out there all at once and not have to go back and constantly adjust the message due to games possibly slipping or the market fluctuating wildly due to COVID.

We will know the prices by late September/early October at the absolute latest and that's fine, it's going to have a minimal impact on preorders since they are already hitting the market hard with marketing already.

Be patient, everything will be fine :)
Great post.

You say this....like we've seen everything already, lol.

We know Sony isnt done. They havent even shown off the UI and features of the PS5. MS might have more games to show too.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I don't think I've ever read a thread here where the point being made in the first post made absolutely no logical sense whatsoever.

So I suppose my answer is "no".

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
You say this....like we've seen everything already, lol.

We know Sony isnt done. They havent even shown off the UI and features of the PS5. MS might have more games to show too.
I admire your optimism, but I think the chances of either of these consoles having a major game ready for launch that hasn't already been revealed is basically zero. The best case scenario for the PS5 launch is Spider-Man: Miles Morales + Demon's Souls - and the fact neither one was confirmed as a launch game makes me hesitant to say either will make it.

Launch games always come in hot, games only come together in the last six months of development, and the last six months have made it nearly impossible for developers to work at normal optimization. Delays should be expected, and we've seen plenty of them already.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually I like OP's thinking. But the only thing that can make it work is if PS5 is launching with GTA VI exclusively.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The only way a delay would be useful would be to add more power, and even that may be arguable. Since that's not happening, it'd be a straight lose.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The software clearly isn't there for these launch lineups, the price is going to come off as completely toxic in the current economic climate, and developers just don't have the broadband right now to properly support the hardware.
How is the software not there yet? We have Spiderman and potentially demon's souls there for launch as well as astrobot and maybe sackboy too. Between those that cover's families, casuals and hardcore audiences. That's not event including other games that's been shown or third party stuff too.

Regarding price, how is delaying it going to help fix that? If anything it would make the situation worse unless you plan to wait for a year.

Your comment on developers also seems pretty reactionary since there are plenty of games still coming out.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
Launching with an exclusive Spider-Man game is enough on its own, never mind the potential of Demon's Souls, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Destruction AllStars, various indies.

But even without those games, the third party support is big this holiday, with FIFA 21, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs etc.

This console will sell ridiculously well.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
How is the software not there yet? We have Spiderman and potentially demon's souls there for launch as well as astrobot and maybe sackboy too. Between those that cover's families, casuals and hardcore audiences. That's not event including other games that's been shown or third party stuff too.

Regarding price, how is delaying it going to help fix that? If anything it would make the situation worse unless you plan to wait for a year.

Your comment on developers also seems pretty reactionary since there are plenty of games still coming out.

There are still plenty coming out this year, but the number of delays caused by COVID can't just be ignored here. There was clearly meant to be more to the console launches than this.

And again, NONE of those games have been confirmed for launch besides Astrobot - which appears to be more of a controller demo than a full title.

And with 4 extra months, these problems will be solved?

Considering I fully expect original launch window games like Halo Infinite, Deathloop, and more will hit shelves by the end of March 2021 - yeah, four more months would significantly improve the situation. Wether or not it's more economically responsible is a different question that hits on factors far beyond the games industry - but it's safe to say any degree of distance from now is going to allow for a more comfortable economic climate, as well as global sense of wellbeing.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Of course not. It'll sell all stock regardless.

Miles Morales will be jaw dropping in terms of a launch title and sales magnet.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
PS5 could go on pre-order tomorrow for "Unknown Price <$800" and it would sell out

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There are still plenty coming out this year, but the number of delays caused by COVID can't just be ignored here. There was clearly meant to be more to the console launches than this.

And again, NONE of those games have been confirmed for launch besides Astrobot - which appears to be more of a controller demo than a full title.

Considering I fully expect original launch window games like Halo Infinite, Deathloop, and more will hit shelves by the end of March 2021 - yeah, four more months would significantly improve the situation. Wether or not it's more economically responsible is a different question that hits on factors far beyond the games industry - but it's safe to say any degree of distance from now is going to allow for a more comfortable economic climate, as well as global sense of wellbeing.
I don't know when Deathloop became so pivotal to the PS5's launch tbh. It looks cool, but it's not anywhere near Halo, so why people frequently mention them in the same breath is a mystery to me. As for the economic climate, this console will sell out, guaranteed, for the first several months. So why wait for an ill-defined return to economic comfort? People want (and need) indoor entertainment right now. And lastly, anyone who isn't ready to buy a PS5... can wait. Sony doesn't have to make them wait. I believe there would be zero material benefit to Sony or consumers gained from pushing the launch to next year.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Some games have been delayed that's true but Spiderman is for certain coming put at launch or at the latest this year. Judging from the ratings boards having both Spiderman and demon's souls it's likely both will be considering history has shown that only happens when the game is 2 or 3 months out.

Even then, you think it would be better to wait until after Christmas,the biggest spending window of the year for Sony to bring out their console when spending power Will be even worse?

Delaying it does nothing but deflate the hype and potentially put themselves in a worse situation and Microsoft a better one.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't know when Deathloop became so pivotal to the PS5's launch tbh. It looks cool, but it's not anywhere near Halo, so why people frequently mention them in the same breath is a mystery to me. As for the economic climate, this console will sell out, guaranteed, for the first several months. So why wait for an ill-defined return to economic comfort? People want (and need) indoor entertainment right now. And lastly, anyone who isn't ready to buy a PS5... can wait. Sony doesn't have to make them wait. I believe there would be zero material benefit to Sony or consumers to pushing the launch to next year.
Because Sony launching a console at a pricepoint that was unrealistic for their core user base has never backfired on them before? Especially with Microsoft primed to undercut them with the Series S - Sony looking boughie in a moment of global economic distress isn't exactly as appealing as you might think.

And I don't think Deathloop was ever key to the PS5' launch. Hell, I think it's wild it was EVER set for 2020 to begin with. But it would absolutely bolster the first day software offering, namely by being a full, made-for-next-gen game that isn't a remake, remaster, or expansion. And unlike Godfall, it looks good and comes from an iconic studio.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
PS5 could go on pre-order tomorrow for "Unknown Price >$800" and it would sell out
People don't understand this. It's not even about quality (not to say that their consoles are low quality - my PS4 slim Is amazing and I love it lots). It's just brand image. People will buy PS5 at launch just off the name. No matter this price.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Because Sony launching a console at a pricepoint that was unrealistic for their core user base has never backfired on them before? Especially with Microsoft primed to undercut them with the Series S - Sony looking boughie in a moment of global economic distress isn't exactly as appealing as you might think.
We don't even know what each SKU will be priced at yet so this concern that Sony are gonna come across as some out of touch elitist seems ridiculous right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.