• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think

• Yes

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 192 83.8%

• Total voters

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back on Infinity War, would the original Avengers team really have been able to be Thanos on Earth if he had all the infinity stones. Thor would still have his cockiness he showed in the film, Hulk would be out but who knows how effective he would be based on the beginning and Tony and Steve together still maybe wouldn't have been enough to take him on. Same with Black Widow as she didn't do much combat against his children and we don't know Hawkeye's strength. What does Era think?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
No. The Avengers who were there and got beat up were collectively stronger than the OG ones anyway.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I'm not sure they could have beat Thanos in either scenario even without the stones. We saw what he did to the Hulk.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I don't think so. Part of the story arc is showing how they've grown both as heroes and as a team. The biggest message, to me, is that they're more as a team than they ever were as individuals.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't have Iron Man, Hulk and Hawkeye, but they did have Black Panther, War Machine, SWitch, Winter Soldier etc.

So the answer is no.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes, Hank Pym would have came up with a better plan and the Wasp would have did a wonderfull job taking the glove out of him.

Golden iron man would be taken out fast but thor and not so rage hulk would have holded him enough

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
With how the stones work in the MCU, maybe!

Like, as long as it's not straight up wishes, at least.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how they almost beat him until Star Lord fucked it up, sure.

As long as you maintain character growth and the only thing that change was them not splintering into differing factions during Civil War, then yeah, they would've stood a chance or possibly even won.

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, did you even watch the movie? Hulk got his ass handed to him without the stones, and the same with Thor before his huge powerup. The rest of them couldn't do anything.

They only came close because of Dr. Strange, who wouldn't be in this hypothetical fight

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
No, the only reason Tony held out as long as he did in IW was because he had regenerating armor.
It actually wasn't regenerating armor so much as it was redistributable armor. So when one portion of the armor was damaged or taken out (for example, his face mask), the suit has to use nano-material from other parts of the suit to rebuild it. This is why you see Tony redirect armor from his leg to his left arm when he needs a second blaster (leaving his leg exposed), and later when wants to create the blade he redirects armor from his left arm to his right (leaving his left arm exposed). It's really well done in my opinion.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
HELL no. Thanos would've wiped the floor with them. He didn't need any stones to beat Hulk in IW. Cap would get beat just like he did in IW. BW and Hawkeye obviously don't stand a chance. Iron Man's new armor makes his old armor look like a Model T and it barely did shit.
Thor would last the longest but with all the stones I'm pretty sure Thanos wouldn't have too much of a problem.

As long as you maintain character growth and the only thing that change was them not splintering into differing factions during Civil War, then yeah, they would've stood a chance or possibly even won.
But those weren't the OG Avengers, it was Iron Man, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, and most of the Guardians. Collectively they were way stronger.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

Thanos without stones managed to destroy Thor and Hulk (the two most powerful Avengers), plus Loki.

He did have one stone, but it's confirmed he didn't even used it.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the only reason they didn't win was Starlord, then absolutely.

That would have been a much worse movie, however.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
If they couldn't beat him with Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch and Mantis before he had all the stones they sure as shit aren't beating a Thanos that has every stone without them.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The movie gave the impression that Thanos was more or less toying around with most of his opponents and could have killed them at will if he wanted to, but preferred to just leave it to the snap. Granted he did almost lose/die multiple times anyway... movie and all.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
With no Black Panther, no Guardians, no SM, no Dr Strange, no Scarlett Witch coming down to save the day when those baybalde things showed up, and no Wakandan technology keeping the foot soldier swarm at bay when they arrived on Earth? Yeah they'd be fucked. Tony would have squashed like a bug if the events on Titan occurred the same without the rest of the crew. Remember, Thanos was seconds away from killing him.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The only reason they almost beat him was because they had both Mantis and Dr. Strange. They wouldn't be in a fight with the OG Avengers.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they almost had him before Quill lost it.

But y'know... plot.
Yeah but now there wouldn't be Mantis to lull him into a passive state, and no Dr Strange to hold him in place, and also remove Spider-Man and the rest of GotG crew. How do you reckon things would go down a similar path?

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

That wasn't the OG Avengers though. That was the GotG with Spider-Man and Iron Man assist (with Iron Man seemingly being substantially more powerful now than back then). And they could only manage what they did because they have a very specific combination of powers the OG Avengers wouldn't have. Widow and Hawkguy are practically non-issues for Thanos. So the question is could Thor + Hulk + A1-Era Iron Man + Cap beat Thanos. And Thanos already bodied the strongest two in Thor and Hulk at the beginning of Infinity War BEFORE he had most of the stones.

Could they? Probably, power levels are all over the place in the MCU anyway.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
HELL no. Thanos would've wiped the floor with them. He didn't need any stones to beat Hulk in IW. Cap would get beat just like he did in IW. BW and Hawkeye obviously don't stand a chance. Iron Man's new armor makes his old armor look like a Model T and it barely did shit.
Thor would last the longest but with all the stones I'm pretty sure Thanos wouldn't have too much of a problem.

But those weren't the OG Avengers, it was Iron Man, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, and most of the Guardians. Collectively they were way stronger.
I always saw the argument as it being the OG Avengers as a united front instead of being splintered over personal squabbles kind of thing.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Thor sneak attack was the only thing that did any real damage and Thanos was toying with everybody. They would all be dead except Thor if he wished.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
No;

but I think if Tony and company didn't go to Titan I think they maybe would've won; Scarlett Witch could've done something similar to Mantis and Quill could've easily been replaced by Captain America, Bucky, Falcon, Rocket, well just about anybody....

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
For the sake of clarification, while Thanos now possesses all 5 gems, he can no longer harness their powers because the only way to do that is through the gauntlet which now no longer exists?

Also, do the gems always need an item to act as a gateway between the object and the power it possesses?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The OG Avengers?

x40TivF.jpg

I dunno, but I'd like to see them try.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
For the sake of clarification, while Thanos now possesses all 5 gems, he can no longer harness their powers because the only way to do that is through the gauntlet which now no longer exists?

Also, do the gems always need an item to act as a gateway between the object and the power it possesses?

The way that it was hinted in the movie was that he had to have them in the gauntlet in order to be able to "combine" their powers. We've seen Doctor Strange use the Time Stone without something the dwarves made, etc.

The snap at the very least-having total God powers required all the stones. Even after it's damaged he was still able to use the Space Stone to teleport. So at the very least he can still use one at a time.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It actually wasn't regenerating armor so much as it was redistributable armor. So when one portion of the armor was damaged or taken out (for example, his face mask), the suit has to use nano-material from other parts of the suit to rebuild it. This is why you see Tony redirect armor from his leg to his left arm when he needs a second blaster (leaving his leg exposed), and later when wants to create the blade he redirects armor from his left arm to his right (leaving his left arm exposed). It's really well done in my opinion.
I'm pretty sure his housing unit had reserves, it just ran low eventually.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Iron Man, Dr Strange, Spider-Man and the Guardians almost got the gauntlet from Thanos. And Thor would have killed Thanos had he not gloated and aimed for the head.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Wouldn't they have beaten Thanos as is in the movie if Chris Pratt wasn't there at all? Weren't they about to get the mitten off of Thanos and he fucked it all up?

Oct 27, 2017
All of which is Tony's engineering response to the way Steve and Bucky beat him at the end of Civil War. They damaged his armor one component at a time until he was grounded and had to fight them up close. That strategy wouldn't have worked against the nano-material armor.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do find it interesting that all the original Avengers survived the snap

That could definitely happen with a random number generator but that's some coincidence ;-)

All of which is Tony's engineering response to the way Steve and Bucky beat him at the end of Civil War. They damaged his armor one component at a time until he was grounded and had to fight them up close. That strategy wouldn't have worked against the nano-material armor.
The question now is where does Tony take the tech from here? Thanos bodied him and there's no way this all ends with Tony being any more comfortable about unknown threats.

With each new suit the MCU filmmakers have really pushed at the boundaries of credulity. For example, i understand that it's nanomachines but it's also still matter. How does all that matter fit into his chest hole? How thin is the metal shell??

Yes yes i know its science magic, there's wizards and hulks yadda yadda

That makes me think of something semi-related: Tony is an asshole for not sharing his tech with the world to make it a better place. Have they cured cancer yet in the MCU? Or hubger or homelessness? You don't need an Infinity Gauntlet to do that, you just need to share fucking science magic.

"But the tech in the wrong hands!!"

Coward. All the good that did you. Wakanda's tech is at least shared among its people.

Actually, it's weird that there's now a lot of public knowledge about all this new tech, all these crazy heros/villains, the confirmation of extraordinary things, but life for the citizenry is pretty much the same as it would be if none of that was happening.

Uh, anyway.

Last edited: