Operations

Oct 29, 2017
What's the name of the book OP?

And I actually think you're not crazy. I already work hour days very often; it's the concept that sounds horrifying but in practice it's not that different from ordinary life for many people.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that if you give up your freedom in exchange of security you are giving them the power to take your security whenever they feel like it.

There is just no way of knowing they won't change the deal. 11 hours become 12. Your shelter then has to be shared. Then your allowance gets smaller. What could you do about it, with no freedom?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of people that work that much now and don't achieve that level of financial freedom, but I'm not one of them so no I'm good with my 9x5 schedule and job security worries instead

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing the similarities. You still get paid like any other job, and it's not like the government provides housing for you.
Well over here government jobs tend to be about the highest job security you can have. You're never going to make the most money but you're gonna make okay money with decent benefits. But yes I guess you have to find a place to live for yourself and make your own food *eyeroll*.

The op seemed to be particularly concerned with job security leading to the loss of all the following hence I was mentioning government jobs but if it was about getting babied for shelter and food too yep don't think there is anything like that in western civilization outside being in prison or being a kid.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
About the 11 hour day thing.

If it's 11 hours a day, 5 days a week, then..... I dunno, it kinda depends I guess.
Like, my current job is a very cushy 7 hours a day, but then add 1 hour for lunch, and over an hour each way for the commute. I'm basically leaving the house at 6:30am, and getting back in at 5:30pm. Thats 11 hours engaged in 'work stuff'...... kinda.
So if your indentured megacorp job was basically on your doorstep, and wasn't some hellish back-breaking/full-on nose-to-the-grindstone slog for 11 unbroken hours, but more of a standard office job with lots of that micro-downtime that you tend to get, then...... I dunno. Doesn't sound like the worst deal ever.

No deal whatsoever if I don't get my weekends though.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
indentured servitude is immoral and debts are imagined things, i would honestly rather live alone in the woods than be bound to someone else like that

Stiletto

Jan 4, 2023
No man, freedom is one of the only truly valuable things you have in life. We have a dogshit system with rife inequalities and inefficiencies but you can generally still physically be where you wanna be when you wanna be there with who you wanna be with doing what you wanna do, sans financial & biological limitations. Never give up your freedom.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My wife basically works like 11-12hr days 5 days a week in school administration.

I wouldn't do her job for her pay and she's "free".

Oct 27, 2017
That feels like just one step away from just straight up slavery lol. Whose to say the moment i become a servant they just alter the deal and im full on enslaved

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
Maybe it's better than being on the street, but a person should be free to make that choice, you know?

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I already work like a slave, including the regular 11-12 hour days, and don't get shit for my effort. I'll take that life.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Well over here government jobs tend to be about the highest job security you can have. You're never going to make the most money but you're gonna make okay money with decent benefits. But yes I guess you have to find a place to live for yourself and make your own food *eyeroll*.

The op seemed to be particularly concerned with job security leading to the loss of all the following hence I was mentioning government jobs but if it was about getting babied for shelter and food too yep don't think there is anything like that in western civilization outside being in prison or being a kid.
I mean to be honest, if you were talking military I could see the similarities (thinking about it many hours after making that post). I do still feel like bringing up government jobs in that equation misses the point of the thread though.

Indie guy

Jul 11, 2022
Italy
I've been reading a Dystopian future setting book and the main character is born into debt for a megacorp. She lives in their archology, was educated by them, given a job that fits her aptitude, given healtcare, monthly spending money, shelter, etc. The goal being to pay off the family debt and be truly free.

Aside from having no say in her job or work hours (11 hour days) her life is pretty normal (1 day off a week). She's mostly free with one big but attached.

As an American who basically lives paycheck to paycheck my one largest worry is not having a job and ending up on the street and I was thinking as I read the book "Sure, I can't leave the Megacorp Megaplex thats city in size but knowing I'd always have a job and food and shelter, doesn't seem that bad. I already cant afford to travel anyways. Healthcare is always a concern. Food, shelter, and so forth. I'm already more or less trapped in this city anyways. I think the largest thing would be the harsh work hours.

Am i crazy for thinking that doesnt sound to bad?
Title of the book, please.