MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
And I'm talking about a full on, from the ground up remake, not a reskin of the original game like the first anniversary game did.

maxresdefault.jpg

eb0c0d8fb6da7801e678f38a243881cd.png

I want the entire game redone from the ground up in the new Halo Infinite engine. Follow the same general plot points, but change things up and add some new story elements, weapons, vehicles, enemy varients. Work around how the original had so much backtracking. Develop characters like Sargeant Johnson or Foehammer more.. maybe even squeeze a bit of Thel Vadamee's story into this? I'd totally be down with more insight from the Covenant side during the events of Halo CE.

The multiplayer could just be the Halo Infinite MP. Just add all the classic Halo CE maps remade. Maybe some CE inspired armors, vehicle or weapon skins, etc. I'd be cool with that, and it wouldn't splinter the userbase from Infinite. Everyone wins.

Halo CE deserves another chance to shine. I don't feel like the Anniversary edition from 10 years ago has aged well whatsoever, as it feels like a rushed job using a lot of Halo Reach's assets, quickly reskinning a first generation Xbox game while using all the same physics and rigging from the original. It's very apparent in the cutscenes. Nothing looks quite natural. I'd argue the original game is visually superior to the visual upgrades given in the Anniversary edition, due to this.

That being said, the original game, while still a blast to play through all these years later, could definitely use a more modern engine if it were remade again today.

tumblr_n9aa8eJy1h1r3bvmpo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nehys4a6xn1qkl74so3_500.gif

The thought of the original Halo game having Blur cinematic cutscenes like this, or potentially being able to look anything close to this in-game on the next generation of Xbox is an exciting prospect. Let's hope the 20th anniversary of the series has something special in store.

Oct 25, 2017
seems unlikely because they just released it on PC this year, but also seems like they have to do SOMETHING for the 20th

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I just finished another run of the first Halo and I think we can leave it as is.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
By far the most urgent issue with bringing CE forward should be ensuring that it has a decent port. Classic Mode is still graphically broken, and the "classic" audio sounds totally flat because it's basically just the PC version audio with EAX turned off.

quickly reskinning a first generation Xbox game while using all the same physics and rigging from the original. It's very apparent in the cutscenes.
CEA's cutscene animations are new, they're not just binding the new models to the old motions. It just looks weird because they were on a rushed development schedule and didn't have enough time to sort things out.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
Yes, I'd buy this in an instant. HCE Anniversary leaves so much to be desired, and the prospect of a modern, careful, polished remaster is really attractive to me. I'd even take this over an H3 Anniversary.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like if they just upgrade the anniversary graphics art style because it's trash. And restore the OG Xbox graphics...

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Meh, maybe it's just because I jumped aboard later on, but I never had the attachment to Halo CE that others did. I could take it or leave it, and honestly would prefer MS/343 do something else with their time.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
2022 could be the year for a Halo 3 anniversary, which would be pretty dope.

Halo CE is great and all, but I don't want it redone again.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I vote no. Its a waste of resources. Hopefully Microsoft puts the resources towards something else.

Oct 25, 2017
I really really doubt it but if it were to happen I would pay for it, yes. The first anniversary release left some to be desired and I would be very willing to pay for a redo.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I would love it to be more like H2A, which was a lot more faithful. I honestly often forget I'm on anniversary graphics in 2 sometimes. It's a weird sensation.

But I doubt they will.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Replayed CE Anniversary last year. It's a terrible half-assed remake, and utterly blown out of the water by Halo 2: Anniversary.

I mean, when the classic graphics from an inferior port are miles ahead of the supposedly updated version, you know there's an issue. It looked bad for the time, it looks bad now.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
If not next year then maybe it'll get a 25th year edition on the Series X+. Would be pretty awesome, also this game is making me feel old when talk about anniversaries lol

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
*Halo 3 master chief cries inside his helmet from lack of attention as it continues to be haunted by Admirals Hood's soulless stare and glares jealously at Halo 2's beautiful visual update*

That said, yes, I would like a remaster with updated Halo 1 that is more faithful to the original's art style. Playing Halo 1 Anniversary is tough because the base version has so many blank stretches of nothing while the remaster overcomplicates every damn surface. There has to be a middle ground.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
My only issue with CEA is the brightening up of level 6, The Library. Kills the mood.

Other than than I've never had any problems with it. Some levels like the Library play much better on Anniversary, because you can actually see shit.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
As a reboot with virtually the same premise, Infinite obsoletes this concept. Please just patch the MCC version so it looks as good as the original Xbox game.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Just let sleeping dogs lie. We don't even know if Infinite will be good.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
No more remakes, just keep improving the BC and add Halo 5 to MCC for the multiplayer rotation.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
My plan is to release our Halo 1 open world project for the 20 year anniversary. We got tons of cool stuff planned that will basically bring back every environment and many of the same beats in our open world setting.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Honestly yeah. Anniversary was clearly a rushed project with a ton of just flat out ugly textures and unrefined mo-capped animation in the cutscenes. Hell I'd take an Xbox original accurate port at this point.

Halo 3 is still a looker, a part from the human faces because woof. But environments, lighting, texture quality are all still top notch.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's super disappointing that the port for MCC is that busted version GearBox Software worked on, as I would pay top dollar for the original Xbox version of Combat Evolved is properly restored and reinstated.

So, yes. I would love it if CE got the same love and care Halo 2 Anniversary got, Blur Studios included to produced their top notch CGI cutscenes.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Actually you know what, I understand the whole waste of resources angle. And how this probably won't happen.

But I think 343 would seriously do well to edit the current remake just a little bit. Not asking for like art changes and stuff, but the geometry needs to be changed to line up 1:1 with classic. It is so egregiously bad sometimes. You'll miss shots because stuff is in the way. LASO was 100% impossible on anniversary. It was awful.

Anniversary graphics seriously need some geometry tweaking.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Replaying Halo CE:A recently, I was pretty disappointed with how much of the new look just outright ruins the originals feeling.
H2A definitely does a better job of keeping the originals aesthetic but with a new coat of paint.

q9g5vzrz9vz31.jpg

Nov 8, 2017
Ehhh. It feels like it's development effort that could be better spent elsewhere, especially if you're talking about fully remaking it. Halo is a series that is extremely accessable, every single entry is playable on modern Xbox systems, so even if you just want to do remaking/remastering maybe consider another OG Xbox game that could use more love.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Honestly yeah. Anniversary was clearly a rushed project with a ton of just flat out ugly textures and unrefined mo-capped animation in the cutscenes. Hell I'd take an Xbox original accurate port at this point.

Halo 3 is still a looker, a part from the human faces because woof. But environments, lighting, texture quality are all still top notch.
I don't think it was rushed per se. It was just developed at the end of a generation which had already overstayed its welcome for several years at that point, and exclusive to it at that. They didn't exactly have much room to make the best looking game ever. Also pretty limited to what they could have done with the cutscenes while running the original animations too. Really needed the Blur treatment

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it was rushed per se.
There was a postmortem on CEA's development in the March 2012 Game Developer Magazine, in which the people who worked on the game definitely attributed some of the challenges to the short development cycle.

Also pretty limited to what they could have done with the cutscenes while running the original animations too.
The cutscenes aren't running the original animations.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There was a postmortem on CEA's development in the March 2012 Game Developer Magazine, in which the people who worked on the game definitely attributed some of the challenges to the short development cycle.

The cutscenes aren't running the original animations.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info!

I'm probably talking out of my ass here so feel free to correct me, but if not the animations, weren't they limited by the original bipeds(?) or something? I swear I read that they didn't just redo everything

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I WISH it would get redone. Man, if they just stuck with the og art design it could look good. I'm imagining that first light bridge room filled with a little volumetric fog with those cool forerunner lights filtering through. It would look wonderful.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yep, I'd definitely be down for a full-on re-imagining. Halo Combat Evolved...evolved.

Halo 1 Aniversary missed the mark. The visuals did an injustice to the original art style, I'd love to see them do it better, and even evolve it into something new. Revisit themes, ideas, story points perhaps, keep characters, but precise the level design, perhaps make it more open.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Hell yes. I want new remastered graphics that more closely resemble the original graphics' art style.

And man I can't believe Halo is almost 20 years old holy shit.