• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you looking forward to Jonathan Blows next game?

• Yes

Votes: 75 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 232 75.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The Witness is one of my favourite games, and Braid totally altered my perception of what kind of games I liked.

Barring him having a revelation, no, I won't buy his next game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If you have some free time and fancy a laugh, watch him failing to play Breath of the Wild and blaming the game at every stage:

View: https://youtu.be/PCdx9Sd1JxI?si=Qsp3UfMQcxCqRm3V

Whenever I talk about "anti playing" something, this is my example. The magnesis puzzle in particular is him pretending to not know how anything works in an "anti play" kind of way with the intent of making it seem like the game is worse than it really is.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The Witness is a top-tier all-time game, but that doesn't mean I want to support him in the future.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't thought about him in years, and I will happily go back to not thinking about him once I leave this thread.

Apr 2, 2021
yeah totally. I might be overlooking something subtle, but his games might be the closest thing to apolitical I can think of. I haven't played Braid since release though.

That's not so much like other artists with right wing views who claim to be apolitical, S. Craig Zahler comes to mind for me. I might enjoy some elements of his work but there's undeniable right wing psycho shit in there.

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
The Witnesses was average for me, at best. Never finished it. There's no reason for me be hyped by a game from him.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nowadays there are so many good indie creatives that I don't have to dedicate my time to one like him.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Threads on this topic do make me wonder if people put everything they buy/consume under the same scrutiny that they do individuals/creators. That's not meant to be a rhetorical/sarcastic question, but where do you draw the line? Because at some point, you have to accept that your money -- and definitely a lot more than what you spend on games -- is lining the pockets of those who have opposing views/morals as you, and are probably more dangerous in their actual influence/actions.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed The Witness, but never understood why Braid got more than a couple days worth of press. Maybe his next game will be good but the guy is toxic, so I'll play another good game instead. The advantage of being spoiled for choice is that I can choose what to miss with no gaps in my gaming schedule.

And even if there was a dead point his next game would fill in, I've got a million other things to do.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
He's past my personal threshold for separating the art from the artist. I'll never give him another cent of my money or second of my time.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Threads on this topic do make me wonder if people put everything they buy/consume under the same scrutiny that they do individuals/creators. That's not meant to be a rhetorical/sarcastic question, but where do you draw the line? Because at some point, you have to accept that your money -- and definitely a lot more than what you spend on games -- is lining the pockets of those who have opposing views/morals as you, and are probably more dangerous in their actual influence/actions.

Ooh, I can answer this! When someone goes out of their way to tell me they're garbage, I'll assume they meant me to do something with this knowledge.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Not excited, but I'm curious. It would be perfectly fine if he never released another game, or I wouldn't hear about him ever again. But I'll look up the game if he releases one.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The Witness is in my all-time top 10, so yeah... you can imagine I have thought about this quite a bit. He's a pos, but if he made anything new I'd be too curious not too check it out tbh.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Nah I'm good.

It's interesting how teenage me thought Braid was super impressive. It had a real impact on me. Now I'm looking back and I'm, like, really? It has aged pretty badly, even without knowing the person behind it is a massive tool.

Lmao. I don't think it's weird to fall into a depression after you finish a project like that. But when he started about people not enjoying the game the way they were supposed to... dude, come on.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Separating his games from everything he is, still no.

He just doesn't make games I like.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I refunded The Witness, so I wouldn't be excited anyway.
But I wouldn't be excited anyway.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I mean I have quite a few problematic favs in media but it's pretty easy for me to ignore the trash libertarian who makes games in a genre I don't particularly care for.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He seems too caught up in developing his own programming language to have the time or interest to make a new game.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Just about every decision we ever make in life is done under incomplete information, and we can only make the best choices that we can under the information that we have available. If we have more information in one circumstance than another, rather than pretending that information doesn't exist, we're going to take into account that extra information and react accordingly. That's just how the universe we live in works.

It's not even just moral choices. Think about going to a grocery store and buying perishable goods. You don't necessarily know for sure if a particular batch of something, if a particular fruit or vegetable might be worse and will go bad quickly, but if you look at it or smell it and see that it's already showing signs of being past its prime you might decide that it's not worth risking. You probably don't go "well, this looks like it's going bad, but everything else might be going bad too so I'll get it anyway".

What's absurd to me is pretending that this isn't the case when it's something you do every single day because it's such a basic fact of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.