• Yes, I think it would add depth to the franchise

Votes: 131 30.2%
  • No, Samus is Metroid for me

Votes: 303 69.8%

• Total voters

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm of a different mind. It would be one of the best times to try and innovate and shake up the series when it needs to reach newer audiences beyond the dwindling older fans.

Nintendo trying to do exactly that is how we ended up with Other M. That attempt at expanding the series, which from 2002-2010 had 8 entries, not counting rereleases, to none for 6 years. I'm quite alright with them playing it safe, honestly.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's also how they got Metroid Prime.

Which was a nigh perfect transition of the essence of 2d metroid to 3d. You can't redo that a second time because there's not been any serious shift in videogames like 2d to 3d since.

(Arguably vr but that's not switch compatible and prime is also practically perfectly built for that too).

And even thrn, prime not starring Samus would have been a very poor choice too.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We got a major Metroid game without Samus in it. And it was unanimously hated. Best to stick with the old formula with the Metroid series.
Assuming this is about Federation Force, I'd say it was more unanimously hated for the gameplay (and the timing I guess), than Samus being MC or not.

I don't think FF is representative of what the reaction would be like say, if you made a game that was in every reasonable way like Metroid 1/2/Super/Fusion, just with a different main character. If there is any data on that, I guess you would need to look at how not-Metroid "Metroidvanias" are doing these days, which I think is "pretty good?"

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I wouldn't mind if they took the Devil May Cry 4 approach and have you play half of the narrative with someone like Sylus, then the other half with Samus.
Can't have Metroid without Samus, though.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Prime 4 being like this. Would be excellent for backtracking and whatnot if you had entirely different characters.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Bait and switch. Play as an escaped SA-X, revealed not to be Samus as a game twist. Get murdered by real Samus in the end.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Which was a nigh perfect transition of the essence of 2d metroid to 3d. You can't redo that a second time because there's not been any serious shift in videogames like 2d to 3d since.

(Arguably vr but that's not switch compatible and prime is also practically perfectly built for that too).

And even then, prime not starring Samus would have been a very poor choice too.

Still, they did it against much gnashing of teeth and online petitions (yes even in 2001. I'm old enough to remember vividly) and claims of fan betrayal, with older fans taking solace with "at least Metroid Fusion exists for us real fans." We can look back now and see that making Metroid Prime a first person shooter/adventure was the right decision, but the Fan Elders at the time very much did not think so. You can still find a few of them wanting a "real sequel" to Metroid Fusion, even today. I'm pretty glad Nintendo decided to risk alienating those fans and do something that was previously decided to be a bad idea and verboten.

Deleted member 50460

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I could be very much into it.

I think exploring a mainline and more serious version of the federation force could still be interesting. I'm thinking more halo marines and maybe focus on a squad. You could use this to explore more of the cities and urban environments that exist in the universe.

I also wouldn't mind deep diving into some other bounty hunters. If Sylux got his own spin off series that was still connected to the main games universe and story, I think that would be rad!

I think a lot of Nintendo's big franchises would benefit from branching out and exploring other aspects of their worlds. Imagine a AAA console Zelda game that didn't star link and instead focused on the kingdom of hyrule. Maybe theres a war coming and you're a castle guard.

I enjoy these kinds of side stories.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Yes I think I would probably prefer this, speaking as someone for whom Samus was an incredibly important role model growing up.

I am long past caring about 'salvaging' what I didn't like about games that explored the deeper lore like Other M. I would rather they braved a new narrative with an all-new protagonist, with minimal baggage from previous games, though i'd like to see recurring or old design elements (zoomers, metroids, wave tech, lava areas, hostile climates, chozo ruins, etc) among new ideas.
I feel the same way about zelda, for me the weakest part of recent zelda games is the feeling of retreading the old 'link is a small town boi who discovers his courage and has to rescue zelda so she can rescue hyrule from ganon or some ganon-like who has corrupted the lands, ps don't forget to pack some light arrows for the finale' The story defined the characters, and so if you want some surprises, you'll have to either radically redefine the characters or just make another one, same dif.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe after they spend a solid 5-10 years establishing even one significant alternative to her.

Goes back to my desire to see them make another attempt to fill out the universe. They should take notes from MegaMan Zero and X.

Right now, Ridley and D!Samus are the only significant non-Samus characters who aren't floating blobs, dead, or obvious one-offs. Most of the other mercs make good bosses but I'm not seeing them as playable any time soon.

Last edited:

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I would prefer to play as Samus, but i'll play as anyone so long as the game is good and the person has cool armour.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
The less named, speaking characters in a Metroid game, the better. I just want Samus narration at the beginning and maybe the end.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'd still be interested, but I can't imagine why it would be necessary.

I guess they could do an homage to the original game, have her take off the helmet at the end and be revealed that it's another character such as Samus's mixed-race daughter.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Maybe after they spend a solid 5-10 years establishing even one significant alternative to her.

Goes back to my desire to see them make another attempt to fill out the universe. They should take notes from MegaMan Zero and X.

Right now, Ridley and D!Samus are the only significant non-Samus characters who aren't floating blobs, dead, or obvious one-offs. Most of the other mercs make good bosses but I'm not seeing them as playable any time soon.

I say the time for innovation, brave experimentation, and ambitious fresh ideas is right now! And not when they receive permission from increasingly particular fans! </soapbox>

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It is certainly possible to expand out the story without Samus, although given the circumstances, all the games up to this point revolve around her. Would be nice if... say... You were to take an "Aliens" approach to Metroid. Something like a "prologue" to before Samus comes in to clean house. That would be something.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Only if it is Anthony Higgs

giphy.gif

I could definitely see Anthony headlining a Halo-like spinoff.

Just don't release spin offs during main series droughts. Do them when that need is already being satisfied.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
has nintendo released a mainline game in their main 3 (mario, zelda, metroid) where you dont play as an iteration of the main series character?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Yes because Samus supposedly ended the Metroid threat and I felt Metroid could use a very robust multiplayer system. If Samus isn't the main protag she should be a very prominent character that basically saves my ass in very serious moments.

Deleted member 19868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Samus is Metroid. Outside of a relatively niche crowd that loved Metroid Prime Hunters and people who get into the (admittedly mostly terrible) Metroid "lore," nobody cares about the Federation or Sylux or Anthony Riggs or Adam or any of that other bullshit.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
i think you misread my question. there are no mainline Mario, Zelda or Metroid games that star a PC other than Mario, Link & Samus. Don't know why youre bringing up those characters?
Yoshi's Island is actually called Super Mario World 2, they just evolved into their own series.
I don't see the difference to a Metroid game without Samus, this thread didn't even specify the gameplay style.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
has nintendo released a mainline game in their main 3 (mario, zelda, metroid) where you dont play as an iteration of the main series character?

I think their "main three" at this point would likely be Mario, Zelda, and Splatoon. As stated above the Mario Land games just converted to Wario. Super Mario World 2 is Yoshi. Luigi's Mansion is Luigi. Pikmin changed protagonists for the 3rd entry (to 3 people in fact), Fire Emblem certainly is not married to Marth. Xenoblade is likewise all over the place. Splatoon is entirely customizable.

You don't see any peeved online petitions about those series. Well you typically don't.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yes. The series has stagnated like a motherfucker. I want a new a move set. I'm sick of getting the same powerups over and over again.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I say the time for innovation, brave experimentation, and ambitious fresh ideas is right now! And not when they receive permission from increasingly particular fans! </soapbox>
I don't know if I'm one of those fans in this scenario, but I honestly I don't hate your idea.

My desire to see them wait is just about their relative lack of success with previous attempts to add more lore or a deeper character pool to the franchise. My 5 to 10 years idea was more about giving them time to mess up a bunch so that they can pick out a few real winners and proven candidates to share the burden with Samus.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting idea, but for me Samus is the draw of the series. She's an incredibly interesting character, and is arguably the best example in video games of how characters don't need to be oversexualized to be interesting to players. Very strong female character, and we need more of those.

Don't bring up Other M either if you're debating on Samus's characterization....we don't talk about Other M.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I don't know if I'm one of those fans in this scenario, but I honestly I don't hate your idea.

My desire to see them wait is just about their relative lack of success with previous attempts to add more lore or a deeper character pool to the franchise. My 5 to 10 years idea was more about giving them time to mess up a bunch so that they can pick out a few real winners and proven candidates to share the burden with Samus.

Oh you mean my idea on the first page? Nah that was just me spitballing. If they don't use it it's no sweat off my back. I'd just like for them to have the freedom to try new things without being tied down by expectations and headcanons, you know. I'm afraid Samus may end up being Nintendo's Wonder Woman. A character with a built-in outrage regardless of which direction she takes in the future, and not enough market success to justify further attempts. Wonder Woman only survives (in comics) because of a contractual obligation to DC. It's not like her comics are super successful.

And sorry if I confused with "particular fan." I don't mean particular as in "certain fan." I mean particular like "exacting fan." The kind of people that won't even consider trying Smash Bros. if Stevenson from Gumshoe isn't a playable character.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Yoshi's Island is actually called Super Mario World 2, they just evolved into their own series.
I don't see the difference to a Metroid game without Samus, this thread didn't even specify the gameplay style.
I think their "main three" at this point would likely be Mario, Zelda, and Splatoon. As stated above the Mario Land games just converted to Wario. Super Mario World 2 is Yoshi. Luigi's Mansion is Luigi. Pikmin changed protagonists for the 3rd entry (to 3 people in fact), Fire Emblem certainly is not married to Marth. Xenoblade is likewise all over the place. Splatoon is entirely customizable.

You don't see any peeved online petitions about those series. Well you typically don't.
SMW2 is iffy because of Baby Mario. But i see where you all are coming from with the rest. As for Splatoon being the 3rd, idk i'd still say Metroid is their 3rd big franchise. We just havent gotten the mainline game yet. With the Wario Land & Luigi's Mansion spin offs, I guess that would sortve be the same, in the case of Mario, but that was probably necessary considering his name is in it. But for Zelda & Metroid, it's always Link & Samus. That was more what I was getting at. Though there are others possible to lead, it has always been those two.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Why couldn't someone OTHER than Samus be in the suit (not her suit in particular, just another one like it)? I know the suit was made specifically for her by the Chozo, but what makes it impossible that they didn't do the same thing for another person in the galaxy? I wouldn't want them to be enemies though (we got that in Dark Samus already). It would take some getting used to though. (I've only played the Prime games and Metroid 1, 2 and Super Metroid--haven't played through all of the GBA/DS/3DS games in the series--so I could be missing something in the lore).

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
SMW2 is iffy because of Baby Mario. But i see where you all are coming from with the rest. As for Splatoon being the 3rd, idk i'd still say Metroid is their 3rd big franchise. We just havent gotten the mainline game yet. With the Wario Land & Luigi's Mansion spin offs, I guess that would sortve be the same, in the case of Mario, but that was probably necessary considering his name is in it. But for Zelda & Metroid, it's always Link & Samus. That was more what I was getting at. Though there are others possible to lead, it has always been those two.

Wario Land is called "Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3." Mario shows up at the last minute to steal the golden Peach statue away from him.

I wonder about Yoshi though. I mean if we count Baby Mario as the "protagonist" of Yoshi's Island, does that mean we've already had a Zelda game with link, at least in part? Midna rides Link like Mario rides Yoshi. Pick your poison!

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Wario Land is called "Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3." Mario shows up at the last minute to steal the golden Peach statue away from him.

I wonder about Yoshi though. I mean if we count Baby Mario as the "protagonist" of Yoshi's Island, does that mean we've already had a Zelda game with link, at least in part? Midna rides Link like Mario rides Yoshi. Pick your poison!
I only mentioned the baby mario thing because he's always with Yoshi lol. Wario Land, o'll give you that, since "Mario" is in the title. But yea, we havent gotten a Zelda or Metroid game without Link/Samus. Mario is a lot more muddy as yall have reiterated

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Always always always comes down to how well executed it is and whether or not it messes up any of the lore/story.

Also I would not want this rhetorical new main character to replace Samus as the franchise's main character. And I would not want whatever gameplay systems this rhetorical game has to replace what we aready have in mainline games.

Metroid could do cool stuff with, say, its own Raiden-like (MGS). In terms of how he's utilized in mainline and spinoff titles.

Last edited:

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to demand another Metroid pinball game. Doesn't have to be Samus in her morph ball going over a Prime game like last time, it could be any ball type character (Hunters showed us several) going through the weird worlds of the Metroid universe or some new creations.

I want more mission based pinball games.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a pretty big universe to draw new ideas from
There really isn't. At all.

Absolutely not, Samus is the heart of Metroid and I could not play the game without her. What the franchise needs now though is to get away from the oogling of Zero Suit and get back to the stoic, confident badass who got character assassinated in Other M and who's basically been eye candy in the last three Smash games.
*clapping emoji* *clapping emoji* *clapping emoji* *popgaf.gif*

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
There really isn't. At all.

A massive federation full of different people, squads, ships, planets, missions, and so forth. The back story of Prime 2 for Federation troops and scientists show they do plenty without Samus around, as do large battleships that serve to police and defend various systems.
Federation ran by giant artificial brains has plenty of potential for sci-fi story telling.
Multiple chozo remains Samus has no idea of.
Surviving Luminoth.
Whatever the N'kren are.
Whatever the Ylla are.
Origins of phazon (could be as expanded as much as the origins of the metroid themselves were).
Characters like Weavel, Rundas, Ghor, Kanden, Trace, Gandrayda, Noxus, Sylux, and more for other bounty hunters besides Samus not to mention their species and home planets or sectors. Other sci-fi easily took "one character with little known about them" and then expanded into a full story and they could that with Vhozon as one example.
Hundred of different worlds shown or mentioned in the games already, and whatever else they could come up with.
Various ships from a series we've had very little space combat shown in and plenty of people would like to see that if Star Fox isn't ever going to live up to it's potential.
The fact they travel to different galaxies is something to draw new ideas from.
Bio-organic technology existing at all is plenty to work with, especially post-Fusion and Prime games where we know bio-cyborgs are possible.
The fact planets can be sentient in this universe.
Carbon, silicon, energy based, and other type of life forms is a lot to work with, and multiple other sci-fi stories have done a lot with less.

So off the top of my head and just a quick glance at the plot of the Prime games,, they have a lot they could work with already, as much or more than other sci-fi universes have that found a lot to work on, explore, or expand upon. I'm not saying they should do anything without Samus or not, just that if they wanted to do more with the universe, they could just like Star Trek did despite "not having a lot of new ideas to work on" back in the 80s.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I know it isn't exactly what you are asking, OP, but Rogue Dawn is an insanely good Metroid rom hack where Samus is not the main character. Highly recommend.

Metroid: Rogue Dawn is an unofficial prequel to the original Metroid gamereleased in 1986. 30 years later, we bring you the events that unfolded before Samus's famous "zero" mission on planet Zebes.

The original Metroid manual tells us about a deep-space research ship that was attacked. The Space Pirates seized a capsule said to contain a previously unknown life form in a state of suspended animation. Rogue Dawn surrounds these events that led up to the theft of the capsule, which ultimately placed the Metroids under the control of Ridley and the Mother Brain. The mission to acquire the capsule was placed in the hands of one of Ridley's best-kept secrets: a rogue human agent, trained and manipulated by Ridley from a young age…

Taken as a child from a Galactic Federation colony obliterated by Ridley's faction, she was initially just another test subject slated to undergo horrific experiments. Ridley decided to instead manipulate and mold her into a weapon, his first human servant and dark agent. Primed yet untested, she is sent out on her own "zero" mission. She will retrieve a newly-discovered biological specimen in the possession of a Federation research crew orbiting planet SR388 and prove her worth.

Her name is Dawn Aran.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
They should have made Federation Force an immersive spooky space game instead of going with the whole super deformed multiplayer monster hunting thing.