Would you be suspicious of a 1950s style Town where everything is perfect?

• Yes - something has to be going on here.

Votes: 232 79.5%
  • No - doesn't seem suspicious

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Maybe - might be something going on here but might just be a freindly town

Votes: 46 15.8%

• Total voters

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These days I'd be concerned if I ended up anywhere where people are distinctly happy.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
1950s sitcoms set in white suburbia had about as much in common with real life as Full House had in common with San Francisco in the late 80s/early 90s

Oct 27, 2017
These time travel threads might as well be tagged "White's Only"
Not putting any blame on you OP, it's just time travel to the past in the US is just inherently not too appealing if you're not a white dude

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
If it was filled by just white people, I'd worry. If it was JUST stylized as a 1950s town, but inhabited by diverse locals, all happy and there was no injustice to be found, maybe I'd be less suss. Though at that point, it would be like living in a dream. The 50s weren't perfect. They were a shitty time for certain people, but the idealized take on it, similar to an idealized take on the 80s, where you have similar pop cultural cues minus the racist, homophobic, mysogynistic crap, could be appealing to many different people, especially those without the luxury or privledge t experience such lifestyles (as in, middle to wealthy class, white, straight, Christian).

But yeah, as a person with brown skin, anytime I come across a town that's all white, I try to steer clear of it. A town all white, but literally living in the past... nothing good can come out of it. Like I said, a 50s fantasy town with a multi-racial/multi-cultural/LGBTQ+ friendly population that just lives in an idealized sense of the 50s, maybe interesting. An all white town stuck in the past of the 1950s... that's literally Trumpville!

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Do people actually believe the 50's were like that? I've always just considered it nostalgia and people willfully forgetting all the bad parts.
You are correct. My mom (born 1945) says that reality was nothing like we see on old TV shows and movies. In fact, she says that people would laugh and make fun of the Andy Griffith show and other similar "perfect 50s" media.

I think it's comparable to someone looking back at Friends and thinking that was a realistic look at New York life in the 90s.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If the town treats PoC as second class citizens and women are seen as nothing more than housewives, then no thanks.

Oct 26, 2017
As great as it may have played out on surface, the entire lifestyle was propaganda to push people into their roles, forget their WW2 trauma, and rev up capitalism.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the plot of The Experts (1989) starring John Travolta

In the Soviet Union on the eve of Perestroika, groups of potential Soviet spies are trained in a town made up to pass for "Indian Springs", Nebraska. The denizens of the town speak perfect English and go about their days as Americans to train the cadets to fit into American society. One of the trainers in this town, KGB agent Cameron Smith (Charles Martin Smith), feels that the training is substandard as the town has failed to develop culturally since its inception and is stuck in the 1950s.

In order to rectify the situation, Smith hires New York City club-goers (and aspiring club-owners) Travis (John Travolta) and Wendell (Arye Gross) to teach modern ways to the outdated town under the auspices of opening a nightclub. The two are drugged en route and wake up in Russia unaware they have left the United States. Travis and Wendell are bemused by the quaint ways of the town and dismayed when they see the location Smith has procured for them (a 50s-style tiki lounge), but they set to work remodeling the club to look more up to date for the 1980s, begin to make friends around the town and even start to date a couple of the trainees, Bonnie (Kelly Preston) and Jill (Deborah Foreman).

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
That pretty much describes The Truman Show.
Truman Show is more of a hybrid. A town created from an amalgamation of different timeframes. It looks like it's from the '50s but everyone drives modern cars with modern radios in them. But at the same time I don't think TV exists in that world to make it easier to control Truman. (I mean how fun would it be to be watching a guy watching TV all day?) Since they controlled the narrative, they could decide what goes where and Truman wouldn't have any frame of reference. He probably didn't even know what a TV was. However if I'm wrong and TV did exist in that "world" then obviously Christof would control what is shown on it as well.

It's more like Pleasantville like people are saying. That movie is literally about modern '90s teens being absorbed into a stereotypical "perfect" '50s town.

Edit: That Experts movie sounds interesting. How have I never heard of it before? Is it any good?

Nov 8, 2017
Nah, I'd just join the Order of the Harvest Moon ASAP.

NCLxc752afCJD2TipUBoGyR3RZ_UnysUw4qLTlz83rYTxFIF_IXx0BAR1YEV6Sk1Om-zMDOIXzxosG6LvL-UeZ7hGiDLLk2T8EUMH7iQJQZqUYX49hxk3oxsghpIRrhMzu1T

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Yep

Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.

I wholeheartedly believe that quote Smith made. Our brains are logic calculators built for this specific purpose. Even if everything was perfect the human brain would thinking something is wrong because it needs a problem to solve.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Yep

I wholeheartedly believe that quote Smith made. Our brains are logic calculators built for this specific purpose. Even if everything was perfect the human brain would thinking something is wrong because it needs a problem to solve.
Yep i think everyone would be a bit worried if everything seemed perfect on the surface