Would you consider purchasing a Playstation retro console?

• Yes

Votes: 565 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 442 43.9%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't give a shit about retro compatibility for their consoles, and with Jim Ryan at the helm of Playstation, I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

I looked at the consoles that Analogue made, the ones that play games from various devices, and how popular they are with enthusiasts.

If Sony were to put out a retro Playstation console that could play all of your PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs (similarly to the launch PS3), would you be interested in buying it? Hell, we could also put the PSP in there. I'm talking discs, here. That machine would read CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and UMDs.

Honestly, I'd probably buy one. It's not ideal, of course. The right thing to do would be to keep retro compatibility alive with each new Playstation. But shit, if that's what it takes for old games to be preserved somehow, I'd be down. I have so many PS1, PS2 and PS3 games. I'd love having a modern box that could play all of them. Especially if there'd be some new bells and whistles in it, such as save states and an upscaler.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
I had a phat PS3 once...never used the BC, maybe once or twice for Bust a Move.

I want to answer yes, and will, but there really is no reason for this, for me anyways, outside of Scott Pilgrim, Pixeljunk Eden, and Skate 3.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'd buy a PS5 if it did. I mean I can give PS3 games a miss but when the PS4 can and has run PS1, PS2 and PSP games I'm just sorts done with expecting them to actually support all the games I've bought digitally since the PSP.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
MiSTer's PS1 core will be done eventually, and that'll probably be one of the best ways to play PS1 games. Aside from that, good PS2 emulation doesn't exist and I don't really trust Sony to make anything worthwhile. As far as FPGA goes, the limit is right at PS1/N64/Saturn. There isn't anything strong enough to make anything past that. Maybe 10 years from now we'll see an FPGA PS2. It'd be nice.

As far as the PS3 goes, I recommend just buying one or waiting for PS3 emulation to get good. Might be a long wait to get the accurate experience though.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I had a phat PS3 once...never used the BC, maybe once or twice for Bust a Move.

I want to answer yes, and will, but there really is no reason for this, for me anyways, outside of Scott Pilgrim, Pixeljunk Eden, and Skate 3.
Scott Pilgrim is getting a current-gen re-release too so that's one less reason. Lol.

I already have an original PS3 console I bought and future-proofed a few years ago that can play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, and while it's great, I'm using it a lot less than I thought I would.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I would want it to have digital support, there's so much digital exclusive content that I would hate to miss out on. And that would probably rule out Analogue or a third party.

But realistically at this point, I'd take pretty much anything.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They made the Playstation Classic and honestly they screwed up multiple aspects of that by just not caring and cutting corners

I have no faith in a product like this from them as a result.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I have a couple of Vitas...so at least in terms of my digital PS1 and PSP games, I'm good to go.

But I'd buy a PS123 slim 7nm low noise/power draw console in a skinny minute.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Imagine a console that could play ps1 games PS2 games and ps4 games.

The ps4 can do that (as shown by modders).

Now imagine we gave that console the power of a cpu strong enough to be able to play a majority of PS3 games using emulation (as shown by pc emulation developers in their spare time).

The ps5 can do that.

The only thing stopping any of this is Sony's reluctance.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If I can play my digital games as well, I probably would. Dualshock3s are hard to find, and the ps3 hardware is in general slow.

Hell I'd pay a monthly sub to access backwards compatibility, or pay a premium for access.

As far as I recall there already is some kind of ps1 and ps2 emulator for ps4, and if a bunch of outsiders can make a ps3 emulator on pc that somewhat works.. surely with money and actual ps3 knowledge Sony should be able to get SOMETHING decent out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the architecture of PS2 and PS3, I honestly can't imagine Sony making such a console.
PS1 emulators are well established by now (a.k.a that 1 ps1 retro console they released), but from what I've seen and read PS2 and PS3 are different beasts.

But just to answer the topic: Yes!
I still have my PS3 and PS2 hooked up because there are some games which I still have to finish (The backlog^TM). For example, right now I'm playing through the sly HD collection, which is great so far!.

id rather take a risk with the og ps3 that can do that

I still have 1 OG PS3 with all the back-compat, but I use it sparingly to avoid YLOD from ever coming (it's inevitable I know :( ).

Oct 30, 2017
No. I don't care to own a lot of gaming hardware.

Spend the effort to add this to the PS5. I don't need a system that reads UMDs in 2020.

Deleted member 59803

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 6, 2019
Scott Pilgrim is getting a current-gen re-release too so that's one less reason. Lol.

I already have an original PS3 console I bought and future-proofed a few years ago that can play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, and while it's great, I'm using it a lot less than I thought I would.

...future proofed? Tell me more! I've had two BC ps3s die on me already and I'm on my 3rd. Fully BC PS3 plus PS5 = the whole Playstation catalogue being available to me. And I love it.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
So, like, AnalogPS where it's basically an even more stripped down PS3 with the EE/GS even smaller on chip, and the PS1 parts they used in the PS2 and PS3? If it didn't cost an arm and a leg maybe? As it is I have my PS3 working fine and my PS2s are both softmodded, can play my games from a NAS share I made, all that.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
I could see PS3 but why 1 or 2? The PS5 is more than powerful enough to emulate and enhance those games via software

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you're basically asking for a reissue and rebranding of the launch PS3. How much cheaper would it be today? Is fabricating cell processors much cheaper now than in 2006?

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Sony doesn't give a shit about retro compatibility for their consoles, and with Jim Ryan at the helm of Playstation, I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

I looked at the consoles that Analogue made, the ones that play games from various devices, and how popular they are with enthusiasts.

If Sony were to put out a retro Playstation console that could play all of your PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs (similarly to the launch PS3), would you be interested in buying it? Hell, we could also put the PSP in there. I'm talking discs, here. That machine would read CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and UMDs.

Honestly, I'd probably buy one. It's not ideal, of course. The right thing to do would be to keep retro compatibility alive with each new Playstation. But shit, if that's what it takes for old games to be preserved somehow, I'd be down. I have so many PS1, PS2 and PS3 games. I'd love having a modern box that could play all of them. Especially if there'd be some new bells and whistles in it, such as save states and an upscaler.

Nah.

The PS5 is powerful enough to emulate PS1 and probably PS2. What they should do is simply sell the emulator as an add-on: download an app that emulates PS1, provides common emulator features like savestates and filters, maybe even implement rewind, and it plays all your existing PS1 classics PSN purchases.

This would give Sony both the "new game sale" revenue via emulator sales, plus long-tail revenue for their PS1 back catalog. PS2 might not be worth it since the "ps2 on ps4" lineup is pretty small, but could do the same deal.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking absolutely not. I own them already and those games should work on a PS5, full stop. The only reason I want BC is so I don't have to plug in multiple Playstations.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
A retro Playstation console that allows you to play ps1/ps2/ps3 discs and have store support for the games for digital purchases?

I would buy it day 1 and start buying / double dipping

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Hell yes. My old PS3 is acting up and having modern hardware to play PS games from three generations would be great. PSP and Vita would be a great bonus.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
PS3 is the only one that would warrant that. PS1 and 2 should be easy to emulate on 5. I voted no, I don't have lots of gaming time so it's usually spent on new games. Certainly not PS3 games.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine we gave that console the power of a cpu strong enough to be able to play a majority of PS3 games using emulation (as shown by pc emulation developers in their spare time).

The ps5 can do that.

The only thing stopping any of this is Sony's reluctance.
Even if Sony was on board with PS3 emulation (I agree about the reluctance bit), PS3 emulation is not that simple. They'd still be a loooooong way off from having a highly compatible, official emulator.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not by itself, no. If those features were rolled into an all-in-one console, sure.

I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars to have even more excess plastic in my house.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
No. I bought the NES and SNES classic when they came out and I haven't turned them on in a year.
As much as I'd like to play Xenogears and Shadow Hearts etc officially again, I don't want another box gathering dust.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
...future proofed? Tell me more! I've had two BC ps3s die on me already and I'm on my 3rd. Fully BC PS3 plus PS5 = the whole Playstation catalogue being available to me. And I love it.
I just took it to a computer repair shop that reballed the thermal paste (I think I'm using that phrase correctly) and cleaned out the insides. They even replaced the fan for me since the one that was in there was not OEM.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely yes so long as it boosts games beyond their original form like Xbox does with their BC titles

Oct 28, 2017
A PS2 Mini with 20 games if it includes:
w9nwwhq82rk21.jpg