• Yes

Votes: 152 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 552 78.4%

• Total voters

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm salary and during my 2-3 month busy season I work and extra hour each day. On the flip side if you need to go to a dr appointment one afternoon or something they just let you go no time off needed. So they give back what we do.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes because I work at a very small startup and its success is heavily dependant on me. If I do well, the company does well to some extent. So there are reward to reap from working overtime, even if it doesn't pay

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
When I worked hourly jobs I got paid for every minute I worked to the best of my ability.

I've been working salaried jobs for over a decade and 99% of the time I get to work on time and leave on time. Only very rarely have I had special projects that required me to stay longer than usual, and most of the time I have been able to comp that time later. But it's different when you're salaried. Working a little extra on a special project or to meet a tough deadline isn't really "working for free" in my eyes.

When I was younger I also did some writing for websites for free to get experience and exposure. I know a lot of people say you should never do this but I don't think it's so cut and dry. Really depends on your situation.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I've worked for free, essentially, professionally and personally.

As a full-time designer one can expect to be working on salary, and business hours aren't a thing really. How rough it is can vary from place to place, whether that's due to how a company/firm is run internally or the type of clients they deal with, or both. Some places you might be working 40-50 hours a week on average with crazy spikes here and there, which is chill as far as design goes...but others you might regularly be pulling 60+, or worse. I've seen it all, and heard it all from fellow designers. It's a rough field.

I've also volunteered my time and talents outside of work.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck letting me take advantage to make someone else richer. (of course I don't include volunteer/charity work).

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I worked an unpaid internship in college in addition to a part time job at Walmart to make ends meet. So unfortunately my answer is yes.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I am contracted to 37.5 hours a week but I actually enjoy my job so i rarely stick to working that shift and i dont get overtime. I suppose that could be considered working for free I guess.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Only in an emergency/volunteer for my community, and only then if I felt it was worth my time. I work in public service so the question is not as hypothetical

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
A bit of overtime? Sure. Unpaid job? Fuck that shit. I still don't get the concept of unpaid internships, never applied to one and never cared about them. Yes, you are learning, but the company is also making use of your time and benefiting from it (even if slightly).

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a freelancer and will occasionally do something for free if it will appease some sort of satisfaction/service issue. That's different though because I obviously have a vested interest in it. I guess non-billable work counts too. Working for an employer though: I wouldn't say never, but I would have to really think I'd gain in some other way from it. And I'm not likely to think that.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yes. I worked for free when I was very young on the promise I'd be considered for a job, and then true to his word I got offered one a few months later. As a young kid still in school and with no experience whatsoever it was an easy way to get my foot in the door. But I wouldn't do that as an adult, no fucking chance.

Nowadays I'd only work off the clock to help the people I work with. Happens rarely but I'm happy to hang back to help if a mate's struggling.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Maybe to do a close friend or family member a solid or as a pro bono situation for an organization whose mission I care about, in very specific, short-term circumstances, sure. But otherwise, hard no. I will not work for free for "exposure" or "the experience", especially if whoever is asking has the means to pay for the work.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm a teacher who only gets paid for 9.5 months. I work 10 hours or so a week all summer on stuff, no pay and no acknowledgment or anything. It's just what is required to do a good job. Especially this year. Ugh. So like 120 hours of free labor plus all the reading I just do about education and for my subject area.

Comes down to the old saying that if you do what you love, it isn't work.

And volunteering, obviously. But that's not the point of your question.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
b8de4ca84370e0024a137d08cf0a54bb.gif

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I did for an internship because I was desperate for anything. With your stipulation of not receiving credit though, like a letter of recognition, or in my case credit in college, absolutely not.

Nov 14, 2017
I answered yes, but I should state the caveat: not if someone else is making money from my labour. I'm totally happy to volunteer if I have time / energy, and if money stopped existing I would totally do productive stuff and give my time to other people.

Nov 5, 2017
Back in the day, I student taught from September to December one school year. I volunteered from January to May, mainly because of the class I was with was pretty awesome. Once I got my sub license during that school year, all of June, they used me around the school as a sub to gain experience. I also got paid right before the summer, which was pretty great. Volunteering paid off and look great on my resume.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
No certainly not for the scenarios in the OP. Is there any situation I would work for free? Then yes of course, like helping out after a natural disaster.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
No way. I hate working and check out the second I'm suppose to. I never do OT of any kind.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If I was learning something then of course.

If not then no.

Work is not just about money. The right kind or experience can help you get a much better job or career down the line.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The whole "salaried so no overtime compensation" I see is such a scam. I'm in Sweden and we get paid for overtime (time over the normal 40h workweek). Overtime hours are also worth more.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a teenager/young adult, I'll work for "free" if it's something I can put a line in my resume that would be a value to me. Yeah, there are times I've been taken advantage off but I know when to put my foot down.

I considered myself a helpful person but at this stage in my life, I would not.

Sure, a one-off to help or train someone for 20-45mins, I'll do it.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever heard of scientific publishing? Best scam ever! Government funds research, scientists write it up and give it to you for free, and then you sell the same work back to the scientists. Even better, before you publish it you have other, extremely qualified scientists check it over, for free.

Just today reviewing a paper for free. I have a PhD in this shit, but apparently I still work for "exposure". Oh and the people I'm doing this for? I'm paying them hundreds of pounds a year just to be a member of their organization. Despite everything they know, scientists can be some dumb motherfuckers.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
No, if an employer wants me to do anything more than 15 minutes overtime they should pay me.

Generally I'm the "arrive at 8:59, leave at 5:01" kinda guy. I remember one of my old bosses saying I wasn't a team player because I didn't want to help with the mail run until 5:20 lmao.

As a journalist for a living though I have certainly written tons of stuff for free to get my name out there, but also because I enjoy doing it.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'm salary, so like it or not, I'm expected to work OT to "get the job done."

I try to keep it within reason though. I'll only work extra if it's absolutely essential or we're under crunch.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not at my job, but I would, and have, certainly volunteered to do unpaid work for non-profits.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "salaried so no overtime compensation" I see is such a scam. I'm in Sweden and we get paid for overtime (time over the normal 40h workweek). Overtime hours are also worth more.

There are in theory benefits to being salaried, during a slow week or month you still get paid the same. That said, it is a bit of a scam.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I did a sort of college work-study thing with a power coop over a summer back in like... 2000/2001-ish. Worked on upgrading their tape storage solutions.
Probably the closest to free I've ever worked, but between the credit and small stipend, it was worth it.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
To me it seems like unpaid internships are a huge, criminal, exploitative scam. I never got one, I went straight to full salaried position in my career.

Also in my salaried position I don't really work more than 40 hours.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Would I ever? Yes, I used to volunteer at my church and got paid in volumes of experience and happiness.

If I am not needing money (lol) ever, I would totally volunteer.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I'm salaried. I have to do this literally all the time.

The throwback is that I can work shorter days or not at all when it's slower. The hours are still not in my favour though.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I can do it if i'm just happy to do it, like that cover art i did for the Golden Sun OCR album recently

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
For much of my life I've done some form of volunteer work.

But work as in make other people money off of my sweat? Fuck no.

New002

Oct 25, 2017

You aren't wrong. I know some people have brought up that salary also means that you might sometimes have a shorter day or can duck out early for a doctor's appointment and still get paid, which is cool, but I can't see the math ever working out in one's favor by the end of the year.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
As starting a career with a internship sure.

Afterwards? Hell no.

If I work overtime, I expect to get paid.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm a position now where I'm working for free, but it's building my own company and the only person it's hurting is me, so I think that's ok.

I've also worked for free when I was starting out, and my advice there would be not to do it. Sweat equity is not equity.