• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you give Trump immunity if he doesn’t run in 2020?

• Yes, the future of the country is more important

Votes: 72 5.2%
  • No, he needs to rot in jail

Votes: 1,212 87.6%
  • Yes, but only if he steps down NOW

Votes: 100 7.2%

• Total voters

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This came up in an article about the checks to Cohen, and I've heard similar before.

NYT said:
Indeed, some people close to Mr. Trump have privately predicted that he will ultimately choose to seek a second term in part because of his legal exposure if he is not president. While there is no legal consensus on the matter, Justice Department policy says that a president cannot be indicted while in office.

Let's hypothesize for a moment. Say Trump doesn't want a second term. We know he hates the job. If we offered him immunity from prosecution on the condition he can't run again, would you go for it? Would you require he step down immediately? Also, as part of the immunity deal, he has to agree to never post on Twitter ever again.

Would you let him off the hook for the sake of the country? Or, should we risk it all to see him pay?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/politics/trump-michael-cohen-checks.html

Personally, I'm torn. On the one hand, peace and quiet and possibly saving our country. On the other hand, the Cheeto needs to go to jail.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok who voted yes?

Edit: Upon reading the question again, I am inclined to understand how could one vote yes in this matter.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Sets a bad precedent if you say anyone can cheat to win, do whatever they want while in power, and then not suffer any consequences if they just don't go another term.

I'd rather just change the policy so that a sitting president can be indicted.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
FUCK no

There's nothing to stop him from being indicted while in office if the evidence of the crimes are out in the open. Just let things run their course. In no way should Trump be getting any sort of leniency for what he's done just because he manged to scam his way into office.

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely not. If he is guilty of crimes, he needs to be made an example of so no other POTUS ever thinks of doing what he would have done. They absolutely need to make an example of him.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Fuck no, you dont reward criminals with giving them one term as president.

How fucking far have we fallen.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no. We absolutely CANNOT let his rotten kids ride on his coattails.

OP
OP
Tobor

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Sets a bad precedent if you say anyone can cheat to win, do whatever they want while in power, and then not suffer any consequences if they just don't go another term.

I'd rather just change the policy so that a sitting president can be indicted.

The precedent was already set in '74. Nixon should have gone to jail.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather take the sure thing than the chance he gets off. Plus he could easily be pardoned so I'd rather him just out of office.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
The world needs to know that we care about protecting our democracy. If we're going to be taken seriously again in any trade or diplomatic efforts, we can't just let the Trump era fade away. It has to be completely scrubbed out.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah. If republicans think they can keep electing people like Trump without consequences, he'll become their new Reagan.

Hell, he might already be.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I'm not American and have no say in the future of your country, but lock the orange shitstain up.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No.

We cannot afford to send the signal to every crook out there, that they can wash their hands of their crimes by getting elected President. We need to send the message very clearly that it is, in fact, the very very last thing they should ever want to do.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Of course not. He would simply get away everything and go back to his old lifestyle. What would that accomplish?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No. I want him to lose the election. Then he can go to jail. But even if he doesn't see jail, he'll always hate himself that "that Kenyan got 8 years and I couldn't"

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone could look at everything Trump has done and how he has been supported could think that pardoning him or even just arresting him alone would solve anything.