• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prime Trilogy port or Remastered?

• Full price Prime Trilogy port

Votes: 122 19.1%
  • Prime 1 remaster/remake

Votes: 518 80.9%

• Total voters

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I know many people are disappointed that Nintendo only released the first Prime game on Switch rather than the entire trilogy, but if the Super Mario 3D All Stars collection is any indication, a Prime Trilogy port would simply be the original game upscaled to 1080p/720p with no other improvements.

So, my question is, which would you prefer?
1) Metroid Prime Trilogy straight port at full price with no improvements other than upscaled resolution
2) The Prime 1 Remastered (Remake) we got

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I wanted a trilogy, but it's clear it wouldn't have gotten the same polish as the remake now that we have it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like we're going to be getting MP2 and 3 anyway (just not remade to the same extent as MP - so probably pretty straight ports).

If that pans out, I'm dead happy with how it's worked out.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I can already play the OG trilogy at HD resolution with mouse control on PC (Primehack), I much prefer the remaster approach

Oct 25, 2017
i don't feel super strongly about this, but how i feel at the moment is: i would have rathered to just be able to play all three games in an easy way right now. it'd be nice to live in a universe where both were possible.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
tbf I would have loved a trilogy drop but if it meant that Prime "Remastered" would not been given the attention it got then I think I would be a bit soured by it because the "Remaster" is really well done. I would hope 2 and 3 get a shadowdrop as well, hopefully together!

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
The refurbmakester is incredible so if I knew how good it would be before being offered this choice I would have gone for it in a heartbeat.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm happier with what we got. I own the trilogy box set on Wii, so there would have been less value for me in having that again (although I probably still would have bought it).

I will be disappointed if we don't get some versions of Prime 2 and 3 on Switch before 4 comes out. I can accept that they'll be lower quality than Prime 1 Remastered, but to not get them at all would suck.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Metroid Prime Remastered is glorious! I am sure they will release at least Echoes in some form or another, but I already got what I needed most.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are expecting straight ports of Prime 2 and 3?

The person that initially told people here on ERA about a Prime remaster did say that Prime 2 and 3 would receive a remaster that is similar to Prime but it won't be done by Retro, as they are busy with Prime 4. The post was fairly accurate and what it described does not sound like straight ports of other Prime games to me. Whichever studio is working on those is likely using the Prime 1 remaster as a benchmark to achieve a similar level of quality.

Edit: Here it is

Not really talking about straight ports for any of these titles.

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

The person that initially told people here on ERA about a Prime remaster did say that Prime 2 and 3 would receive a remaster that is similar to Prime but it won't be done by Retro, as they are busy with Prime 4. The post was fairly accurate and what it described does not sound like straight ports of other Prime games to me. Whichever studio is working on those is likely using the Prime 1 remaster as a benchmark to achieve a similar level of quality.

I hope this is the case and, as you say, there's really no reason to expect it not to be.

I'm most interested in what they do with 3, which the motion controls being so integral to the game. Do they try and adapt it like Skyward Sword, or just force everyone to use detached Joycons?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yes. Absolutely.

I would much rather have a more standard remaster of the entire trilogy than just Prime 1, even if Prime 1 has more work done to it.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I can already play the OG trilogy at HD resolution with mouse control on PC (Primehack), I much prefer the remaster approach
Basically this. In fact it's that the remaster has had such love and effort poured into it that makes me unsure which method I'll use to replay the game again in the future.

(until Switch emulation gets a similar PrimeHack)

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Nah man, the remaster is so fantastic and looks so frickin' glorious, even after 2+ years of PS5/Series X this game on dated hardware makes my jaw drop all the time. Definitely preferring this overhauled masterpiece over 3 simple HD ports with adjusted controls.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Absolutely not, if it meant leaving the games untouched. It would have been just another version of the same old thing.

Metroid Prime Remastered, on the other hand, is a massive improvement over the original.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Prime 1 is one of the greatest videogames of all time and the other two are not. Spending more time making Prime 1 look prettier was the right move.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I already own Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, and Metroid Prime 3.

What I don't already own, and have no way of getting unless Nintendo makes it, is a fully remastered Metroid Prime 1.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Considering I don't care for Prime 2, I'd happily just get Prime 1 remakester over just a further upscaled Prime 1-3 remaster. I do like 3 a lot, but Prime 1 still goated so getting an amazing, modern version is worth it.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I already own two different versions of the original Prime Trilogy. A good remaster is much more interesting than a port to me.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

Adding the specific part of that post that mentions 2 & 3:
Before Retro got Prime 4 back they'd been planning for them to redo the whole trilogy. Obviously that was not going to be possible with them now doing Prime 4. So the new plan became for them to just finish up the first game, then Nintendo would contract out the work for the subsequent games to be redone by other studios with the Prime 1 remake serving to establish the visual bar and style for other studios to emulate.
We already know that some of the work done in MP Remastered was outsourced to studios other than Retro. I don't see why not do the same with the rest.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the art style holds up, right?

Assuming it was a clean HD upscale and they would have updated the controls the same way, I would MUCH rather had the Trilogy. Are people crazy?

All three games are great, and it sucks the other two may never be rescued from the SD. I've been waiting SO long for a version of Prime 3 with updated controls, and I was really sad ever since we heard rumors this Trilogy Remaster was going to be just the first game.

I think people are voting for what we have because hindsight is 20/20. But I think a clean port would have impressed as well.

(also I don't think it was ever going to just be a port, and if it was they wouldn't charge full price for it. The poll question is leading. I think we would have gotten a nice remaster with no new art.)

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Adding the specific part of that post that mentions 2 & 3:

We already know that some of the work done in MP Remastered was outsourced to studios other than Retro. I don't see why not do the same with the rest.
Could be Iron Galaxy and others have been using the framework established for Prime Remastered which apparently finished up in mid/late 2021 for Echoes and Corruption while Retro went all in on Prime 4. It certainly sets one hell of a benchmark.

Total speculation; Nintendo obviously knows how far along Prime 4 is and how long Retro needs to complete and ship. Could Echoes and Corruption already be done and just sitting like Prime was for a year and a half, considering they may not be getting the same level of polish that Prime did, and when Nintendo dropped Prime last week the "countdown" to Prime 4 is officially started with staggered releases of the 3 games over the next year+ before Prime 4 gets a reveal trailer around an event like TGA 2023 or around June 2024 (maybe alongside Switch2)?

Dupr Dog

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2022
The first game has always stood out as the special game of this trilogy IMO. I'm fine if this is the only game they port to Switch.

The sequels were simply not as good.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
MP1 didn't "need" a full-on visual remake and neither do Echoes or Corruption IMO, but what we got is one of the best-looking Switch games while still being faithful to the atmosphere of the original. I'm hopeful we'll get the other 2 in some form down the line and I'm incredibly happy with MPR so I'll take this over a bare-bones port.

Edit: I will not take this Echoes slander lying down though. MP1 may be more of a "classic" but Echoes is a better game in so many regards even as it struggles with its own problems. The highs far outweigh the lows.

Corruption is still good but it's definitely the least of the trilogy.

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
There are few games that are even less in need of technical improvements as the Metroid Prime trilogy so I'll definitely say that what we got instead is a best-case scenario. These are technical showcases on their original platforms, where they each run at an almost completely locked 60 FPS with smooth controls and virtually non-existent load times.

A straight port, while still desired for practical reasons, wouldn't have much to improve upon. Instead we have one of best looking games of the year so far, on outdated mobile hardware no less, and it also happens to be the most impressive rebuild effort we've seen outside of ground-up remakes.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Could be Iron Galaxy and others have been using the framework established for Prime Remastered which apparently finished up in mid/late 2021 for Echoes and Corruption while Retro went all in on Prime 4. It certainly sets one hell of a benchmark.

Total speculation; Nintendo obviously knows how far along Prime 4 is and how long Retro needs to complete and ship. Could Echoes and Corruption already be done and just sitting like Prime was for a year and a half, considering they may not be getting the same level of polish that Prime did, and when Nintendo dropped Prime last week the "countdown" to Prime 4 is officially started with staggered releases of the 3 games over the next year+ before Prime 4 gets a reveal trailer around an event like E3 time or TGA?
I don't think 2 & 3 are necessarily done, could be in the final stages. As for MP4 they probably have an estimation / target date but not fixed date yet.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
That depends, if we don't eventually get MP2 and MP3 Remastered I would have preferred a straight port but if the other two are still in the cards with the same treatment but just at a later date, I can wait.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Incredible how accurate Belmonts post back then was in describing the Remaster, wish he was still actively posting.
Probably the most knowledgable Nintendo source we ever had.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
All (remaster/remake) >> Any (remaster/remake) >>>> All (port) >>> Any (port) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nothing

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I am so happy with this remaster that I could wait for them all to be done in this way.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
If you had asked me before Remastered was revealed I probably would have just wanted the Trilogy port. I expected a remaster to have a ton of annoying caveats and arbitrary changes that would sour the experience, similar to how I feel about Bluepoint's remakes. Maybe not on that level since Retro was rumored to be involved but still, modern remaster/remake efforts have left me a bit cynical.

So I'm glad to report that Remastered totally proved me wrong. It's a fantastic version that actually respects the artistic design of the original game while also providing some great playability improvements. MP2/3 still deserve to be rereleased in some way but there's no way I would ever give up the remaster for them now that I know how amazing it is. Ideally at least MP2 can still get a similar treatment somewhere down the line.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
I own the original respective releases of each game in the trilogy and played through them all
I also have the trilogy on Wii and played through them all again there

As much as I probably don't need another trilogy, if we simply got an upscaled package I'd probably still get that and play these games again.

But preference wise, I'm far more interested in what they've done with the Prime 1 remaster and I really hope they eventually do the same with the remaining games in time.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I'm content if this is all we're getting but I would like to see the others get the same treatment down the line.

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
As much as I'd like to have seen the trilogy get ported right off the bat (Prime 2 is my favorite) I'm glad they went the remaster of the first game route, and executed it in the best possible way.
It'll end up being a win-win for those of us who like the sequels if they get the same treatment now, and signs are pointing to that outcome being pretty likely.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As of now, the definitive Metroid Prime experience is on Switch.

If they'd released a simple Prime Trilogy upres on Switch... the definitive Prime experience would still be on PC.

And the only real advantages to the Switch version (over the Wii trilogy) would be availability and control choice. And resolution, for sure... which would put it in line with all the most boring 'ports dressed up as remasters' that we've seen over the last 10 years.

It's a bummer because I wanted an excuse to rerun the whole series, but I'll take a meaningful remaster over another port any day.

Kinda been tired of simple ports to current gen consoles being called 'remasters' and that's totally what would have happened here if the games were ported. Miss me with that Dishonored Remastered shit.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I hope this is the case and, as you say, there's really no reason to expect it not to be.

I'm most interested in what they do with 3, which the motion controls being so integral to the game. Do they try and adapt it like Skyward Sword, or just force everyone to use detached Joycons?
The adaptation in Skyward Sword isn't very good, it's still a game that has to be played with detached JoyCons. I've never played MP3, but if it relies as much on motion controls as SS, they should gives both options.

Oct 30, 2017
metroid prime is a special all-time classic. the sequels are okay.

i wouldn't say no to similar remasters of 2 and 3, but i'd vastly rather have this remaster of 1 than an upscaled port of the trilogy.