thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been to DC since the mid to late 90s and I remember our tour bus getting stuck in awful traffic basically every day. Once we got to places it wasn't too crowded and didn't seem bad. Things did seem expensive to me at 15 wherever they sold food and stuff even at the big mall there.

My understanding is that today the traffic is an order of magnitude worse, things are substantially more expensive, and it's significantly more crowded. Plus the cost of living is pretty significant. Internet calculators say that both my wife and I would have to make 53% more to have a comparable lifestyle.

I think I'd rather stay in the Midwest.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I hate major cities and London has been an absolute nightmare whenever I've been. It's also not exactly affordable.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
It wouldn't kill me to live in Berlin, but the people there are too often a tad too unfriendly for my taste and the public local government is damn close to a failed state. Thanks, but no thanks.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
DC is great. Love living here and probably would move to few other places. Also if you live in DC why would you deal with traffic on the regular unless you've got kids to drop off at a daycare across town? That's why there's metro, buses, and bikes. Pre-kids I didn't touch my car on weekend - I did drive for work though but I doubt many people are going to be a community based social worker like I was.

The humidity is real though. And not having real congressional representation is madness.

Lansing was fine to live in. Needed to be way more dense though, and have actual public transit. I only took the bus once so I could retrieve my car.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure I would live in DC. I'm not itching to live there or anything, but if the right opportunity presented, sure. I've enjoyed the times I've been there.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I like Amsterdam. A lot to appreciate living here. Also a few things not to appreciate (rent and housing prices. eugh) But generally, yes. Would live here again :)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I like Taipei. It's my hometown and my family lives there. But I'm okay with living elsewhere in Taiwan, due to the nature of how convenient everything is over there.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa isn't the most exciting city, but it's probably more exciting than where I currently live, so sure.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I lived in Ottawa for almost a year already. I liked how many green areas and trails there were at a pretty short distance, and I also made some good friends that I'm still in touch with.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
No, Ottawa is the worst of humid gross summers and ice storm winters. I'll stick to the West Coast.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nope...

2iMYFGajgvSN.gif

Oct 30, 2017
i already live in tokyo and it's the greatest city in the world. so yes

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
Paris? Every time I have to go there, I want to leave the second I arrive, so no thanks

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I was in Bern before and would do it again. The only real downside is the comparatively low salary for my profession.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Only other place I could live in The Netherlands besides Utrecht (which still is superior imo).

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I live in Barcelona so nope, not in a million years. Madrid is cool for visiting but living is a big nope for me.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'd miss running in nature, but I love spicy food, so yeah, I'd do just fine in DC I think.

We do have tons of spicy food in DC, so yeah you'd enjoy it! Although we lost Thai X-ing to retirement.

There's decent nature running if you live within distant of the Anacostia River Trail or Rock Creek Park. And running on the Mall is a really great experience. I do miss that as part of my old commute.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah. I did live in DC for a bit a bunch of years ago and currently live like an 8 minute drive outside of it, plus I've been at most a 15 min drive away for 25 years.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Belfast or Dublin...meh it would be novel for a week or two but id tire of it quickly

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been to DC since I was a kid but absolutely no interest to ever again live anywhere else in the continental United States outside California.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
DC has a decent metro, but no thanks. Traffic, super expensive, some rough crime stats, condensed as all hell, all the political/military bullshit to navigate....I'll stay where I am.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Used to and never again. Too many lame people and the weather is way too inconsistent. (DC)

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I lived in London and Berlin.

Both were fun for a while, Berlin more so and still is to some extent.

I dont think you could pay me to live in London now.

Kingstontown

Jul 16, 2021
Sure, the rent would actually decrease and while Munich is not too bad I hate the stench of the CSU and Bavaria.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I could easily just live in the natural history museum at DC, so I would need to be able to get a job there.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brasilia is the most expensive place to live in Brazil so hell no.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
i hate berlin

the capital should have stayed as bonn
Berlin is a failed state. Absolute terrible place to live. It's ok for a weekend but that's it.

But I hate cities in general so no loss

I don't exactly love it compared to Hamburg or Munich for example. But this is overblown lmao. Berlin is so huge compared to the other big cities that there are enough districts you could find in which I could hardly see why somebody would dread to live there. Like, Steglitz-Zehlendorf ranges from pretty chill to completely luxurious. Living there while working in Mitte doesn't mean you have to go to... the worse parts of Neukölln or Marzahn.

Steglitz-Zehlendorf alone has as many inhabitants as a city like Bonn for example. I think people tend to forget that Berlin is huge and the districts very, very different from each other.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I currently--
For those who don't already
--shit.

If it weren't for my specific circumstances, I would not have chosen to live in my Ottawa, no. Many, many events that I've wanted to attend have passed over Ottawa for Toronto, where I used to live. So it has been a frustrating time here, to say the least. Also, there are an absurd amount of homeless people in this city. More than Toronto, it feels like. It really highlights just how little this country gives a shit about its housing crisis.

Before I moved here I thought that the city was boring, which is still sort of the case, but I have a lot more contentions with the city now that I've seen in closer detail.

Last edited: