• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you prefer if there was a god?

• Yes. I think it would all be better if there were

• Yes. I think it would be interesting if there were

• No. It would complicate things

• No. It would scare me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
As described in the bible, a deeply immoral dictator who is full of himself and makes unreasinable requests from humans? Better he does not exist. As a being that is respectful of humans, grants them eternal life with their loved ones and is loving and cring for his creation? I would prefer he exists.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I don't mean to offend anyone, but until there's proof, I can't believe there's a god.

The thread is under the understanding that there is no god.

Edit:
If you believe/have faith in god, would you prefer if it was confirmed?

so, would you prefer if there was one?

Not the all-knowing, all-powerful, all-good(LOL!) type like the Abrahamic god. Give me RPG fantasy-style gods where you have a wide variety of divine beings to choose from complete with various personalities and portfolios to grant you divine spells. Give me nature spirits that grant spells too.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If it means heaven exists, sure. The concept of complete conscience erasure scares me more than a bully of a god.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather not have a chance at burning for eternity when I die, I wouldn't want that for anyone.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because if he was truly just then anyone who suffered in this world would have a paradise waiting for them unlike anything that can be comprehended. Also, anyone evil who escaped justice in this life would not escape judgement. Thinking of people like hitler as well as war criminals, politicians, etc who will not be held accountable.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Only if it's Superman.

If it's anything like any of the religious gods, then NO THANKS.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I voted for 'It would complicate things', but I wished there was an option for 'It would be total shit.'

Free will depends upon on the fact that I have no eternal consequences for any of my actions, good or evil. I wouldn't have free will anymore if I knew my every move was going to be judged for entry into the afterlife.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Which God?
If you ask a question like that you need to specify.
I would personally prefer the Chaos gods didn't exist.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
If there ever was a God, they left a long time ago. If there really is a God, they're an asshole.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I voted for 'It would complicate things', but I wished there was an option for 'It would be total shit.'

Free will impinges on the fact that I have no consequences for any of my actions, good or evil. I wouldn't have free will anymore if I knew my every move was going to be judged for entry into the afterlife.
Does the existence of a God imply afterlife exists and they have full control of it? They could be separate things and have one without the other, right?

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Does the existence of a God imply afterlife exists and they have full control of it? They could be separate things and have one without the other, right?

Sure, if we're going to get into that sort of minutia.

My answer just kind of assumes the King James Bible version of God and all of the mythology appertaining to Him becomes true.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Nope.

The idea of being constantly monitored and measured against some rules that would be told to me at the end, leading to snap judgement with eternal consequences without means of corrections sound a little unfair to me. So, no. It would complicate things.

Vetinari

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Whether God is real or not is irrelevant and should not have any influence on your religious beliefs.
As Taleb said "Those who think that religion is about belief, don't understand religion and don't understand belief"

Religion actually uses the concept of "God" to give humans useful things such as common rituals, a sense of belonging to a community and a set of shared values and norms than can be applied to large groups. Plus thinking that God is real and is watching over you has very real and well-documented positive psychological effects.

Besides "God" and "Truth" are very Western ideas.
Asian people have a much more pragmatic and relaxed approach to religion as they focus more on social norms and rituals.
Don't believe because it's true but because it works.

As for religious conflict, human groups are in constant competition for status and resources. Without god, we would just find something else.
As Plato said: "Only the dead have seen the end of war"

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are three supreme laws of nature - creation, preservation and destruction, that cannot be denied. We see it all around us. You can call them the holy trinity or the three supreme gods - Bhrama, Vishnu and Shiva. Our Universe was born through a violent destruction cycle which means destruction gave birth to creation, and that means Shiva or the destruction energy is the supreme lord of the Universe. Not to be taken literally, as in a human shaped dude.

Everything will be destroyed eventually and will be born again through a new cycle of destructive energy. Humans are pretty irrelevant, we should just be grateful to be born on Earth but we tend to fuck everything up. The mere fact that humans talk about god is hilarious in the context of the size of the universe. Stay in your lane.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Religion actually uses the concept of "God" to give humans useful things such as common rituals, a sense of belonging to a community and a set of shared values and norms than can be applied to large groups. Plus thinking that God is real and is watching over you has very real and well-documented positive psychological effects.

Religion or divinity are not that special, as people have faith and pledge loyalty even to commercial brands that provide them shared values, norms, common rituals and sense of belonging. And at the end of the day, anything that enables one to think "I'm not alone" and "I'm heard" provide that positive effect.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
"What god?"

But No.
I do not understand people's fasciation with the concept of predestination either. It's a fucking prison.
It's all so ridiculously silly in my mind.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
If God is real then I have absolutely no desire to worship him. He's a prick or else he's in way over his head and has lost control and isn't really much of a god as religion makes him out to be. A being that can create everything should also be able to have better quality control. The number of vile people and horrible occurrences that take place on this earth is proof that of god exists he's either pretty weak or is wilfully cruel and sadistic. Hence why people who believe in him worry me. People who exclaim thanks to god when they survive some natural disaster with absolutely no irony.

Vetinari

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Religion or divinity are not that special, as people have faith and pledge loyalty even to commercial brands that provide them shared values, norms, common rituals and sense of belonging. And at the end of the day, anything that enables one to think "I'm not alone" and "I'm heard" provide that positive effect.

The big difference is that brands belong to the profane not the sacred, do not have a set of ethical values attached and do not provide guidelines in how to act and treat your fellow men.For these reasons, atheism cannot work on a large scale and atheists societies are doomed to either become religious again or collapse. it may be shocking to some but it is something that anthroplogists understand quite well.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the god. If it's the god of tits and wine then I'm down.

giphy.gif

If its one of the uptight no fun allowed gods then thats gonna be a hard pass.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's not that simple though. If they are then do we actually need to adhere to religious texts or else be damned? If they are then does the devil exist? Do we really have to spend an eternity existing after we die?

Lots of questions are added on the the main one imo, if you want a proper answer. It's not just a yes/no 5 minute think kinda thing.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Nah. Because if he does exist he's a piece of shit and isn't better than anyone on Earth. Which is a terrifying thought. Like having an all powerful all seeing dictator.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No, absolutely not. Too much concentrated power. It would be extremely undemocratic. Can you imagine? It would be like someone super fucking rich, but extremely more rich and powerful than that, and basically untouchable.

So no. Unless he was mortal like the rest of us and could be taken down.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love a higher power to be mad at but I'm at peace with there being no one to hate for this shit place

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
A higher power that tells you that there's a special place in hell for you if you don't obey his rules? Fuck no

Also, it's ironic that one of God's commandments is Thou shalt not murder. Yet he flooded the earth, killing thousands. Hilarious stuff

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I don't mean to offend anyone, but until there's proof, I can't believe there's a god.

The thread is under the understanding that there is no god.

Edit:
If you believe/have faith in god, would you prefer if it was confirmed?

so, would you prefer if there was one?
I'm first gonna say that your assumption of "no proof" is wrong.

Have you made any research/study on theology at all?

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, just for the possibility of all the people who really suffered and got fucked over to get some type of paradise and all the people that got away with such acts to get some type of punishment.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
No. I would live terrified. If we judge an all powerful god, any god, by his actions and inactions on this world, then he's actively evil.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If god was real, I'd tell him to go fuck himself. The world makes more sense if there's no god.