Would you re-locate for a job in this climate?

• Yes, no questions asked

Votes: 24 10.9%
  • Possibly, depends on the type of job

Votes: 99 44.8%
  • Nope, jobs just aren't as secure as they used to be.

Votes: 49 22.2%
  • Nope, not interested in relocating at all. I've built a good life in my current geography.

Votes: 49 22.2%

• Total voters

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
My current place has gone to crap. New leadership came and just killed the formerly great culture. Everyone is jumping or wants to jump ship, but the labor market is tight. I've been trying myself, but the labor market just sucks. That said, I"m happy to have a job. It's a privilege these days.

I've been networking and I have some contacts, but one mentioned relocation. I thought about it for a weekend, but declined. Not so much because of the geography. The cities were pretty fun. The issue is that tech and corporate, as a whole, is in a bad place right now in terms of job security.

I personally know a few a people that relocated and were laid off in less than a year, which was a huge disruption and set them back financially--another benefit of remote first honestly. No need to relocate.

If times were better, I would've continued my candidacy for that role. But I don't want to uproot myself and be a victim of last hired/first fired of layoffs.

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I need a job but I own a house, have friends and one family here, have a base (And do local stuff too). I'd be happy to do hybrid and spend 2 days in a hotel in another city the pay being right mind.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Always, but depends on the job. I mean, wouldn't it always? Someone claiming they would never move for any job ever no matter the role/company/salary is how we wind up with those "would you go to the bathroom for $1 billion dollars???" threads.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Heard too many stories about people relocating and then getting laid off, some even before they complete the move.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Always, but depends on the job. I mean, wouldn't it always? Someone claiming they would never move for any job ever no matter the role/company/salary is how we wind up with those "would you go to the bathroom for $1 billion dollars???" threads.
Yeah, my industry is doing terribly now unfortunately. And I've heard a lot of relocation horror stories.

Nope. Heard too many stories about people relocating and then getting laid off, some even before they complete the move.

That's complete BS. Companies are that bad now, huh? Man, the social contract between companies and employees is in hell lol.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the job and where I'm relocating to, and what baggage I'd need to consider bringing with me, or leaving behind.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Even regardless of job security, I wouldn't do it now without extensive relocation benefits. I.E., you're paying off my house at the minimum and putting me up in a hotel until I can find an apartment or house. I got real roots here now and I gotta be given enough reason to rip them out.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe, but it would really really depend on the role and company. Uprooting your entire life, family, etc and taking a chance on a company not laying you off at some point and leaving you high and dry isn't really a risk I'd like to take.

It'd have to be an amazing opportunity.

Phoenix4

Oct 28, 2017
Relocated twice (to different countries). I recommend to negotiate to have a clause added in your contract that the company pays for relocation back if you get let go within x years.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Relocated twice (to different countries). I recommend to negotiate to have a clause added in your contract that the company pays for relocation back if you get let go within x years.

Only with protective clauses like this. The working world is too volatile for me to buy property in another state if I have no guarantees.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
my life situation is different than yours, kids/family/etc so relocating isn't really an option for me. If I was younger, not married, no kids, and the right opportunity was there and if it's a city I wanted to live in, I'd take the opportunity, especially if my old company is going to hell and it seems like a good opportunity. Owning a home, too, ti changes that calculus for me. If I was renting and moving to a cheaper area I'd consider it, might be a good opportunity to use a relocation bonus or something.

I have soft regrets from earlier in life not taking an opportunity to move to DC. I was too personally conservative and risk averse, and thought what little I had where I was, was something worth not moving for. It's not a real regret because I'm happy how my life turned out and all, but like, I wish I had lived there, if I could live there and change nothing else, I would

Getting laid off/fired w/i a year after being hired, t least in tech, seems pretty rare, even in this climate. It just takes so much effort and money to hire someone, to fire someone within a year of hiring them, seems like there's a major, major mismatch there. Not unheard of, but uncommon.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Depends.

I have no family anywhere near me so nothing is holding me where I'm at so if the money was right and it was a solid blue state sure.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to have to be a huge salary increase to both cover the increased interest rates I'd have to pay for moving houses (bought mine in 2020 and locked in at 2.85%) and to justify such a move in the first place.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but honestly I'd consider where I'm relocating to more so than just the job I'm relocating for. I've passed on jobs before because I didn't want to live in particular areas, and I've hunted for jobs in areas I wanted to live in.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Just did, but I was relatively fresh back in the US with minimal belongings and no kids so it was pretty painless.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, I don't give a damn. Not trying to live in the sticks, but I'll jump at a good opportunity anywhere remotely desirable. I haven't put down roots and I don't plan to.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I did for my current job. After a year, I just put in for a transfer and I was able to get back home, so it wasn't bad.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Considering relocating would mean stepping up to a 7%+ mortgage rate, any job I'd do that for would have to pay a significant amount more. Like, probably close to double what I'm making now. It's unlikely I'd find anything so I'd have to say no - I wouldn't.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'd say the more important question is where I'm relocating to, that would make or break the deal more than the type of job if I'm being honest.

dqslime

May 5, 2023
I'd only relocate where my family lives so I can stay with them while I get housing settled, if not live with them for cheap for a long time.

I live in NYC, as I think OP does. My worry is that leaving NYC and then coming back is tough. I have a rent stabilized place and little to no chance I find the same arrangement if I were to regret my decision to leave.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
A job is so far town down the priority list compared to friends and family that relocating for one is just an insane foreign concept to me.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Not always true. It's was the fastest way for me to more than double my take home pay. All I had to do was be open to relocate away from everything I've known for over 20+ years.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been fascinated at the idea of relocating for a job. I have exactly zero desire to leave my home, city, friends, and social network for a job. I guess if it was like worst-case scenario, I was in a dead end job with zero other prospects and I was moving to an opportunity that would pull a full 180 on my entire quality of life, then I would consider it. Maybe I'm luckier than most to really love where I love and the life I built, but a better job doesn't feel like nearly enough of a reason.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I did for my current job back in 2021.

I work for T-Mobile and they opened a corporate store in my hometown. It made sense since I was trying to get back home to be closer to my son, and had been trying to get to the corporate side from the 3rd party store I worked at.

I'm pretty close to leaving though since the company has gone to shit and the job isn't what it used to be.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No. Even if I'm paid well, what's the point if I'm going to be house poor and alone.

At least if I have a shit job where I am, I can still hang out with friends on the weekend.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Texas, so I will accept literally any job in a blue state that pays equal to or more than what I'm doing now (which is not a lot).

Fucking sucks being a gay person in this corrupt racist shithole.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm bored with my current city so maybe. Depends on if I feel more excited about my destination.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
If it's relocating me out of Florida, I will easily take the gamble. Assuming it's not going to another shit state, of course.

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
If it's not in a hellhole and pays decent sure. I'm single and without kids, don't have much tying me down here other than family.

TaxiDriver

Oct 30, 2017
If you don't like your current area then go for it. But I don't think it's worth relocating just for a job.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There is only one type of job I would consider picking up and moving my family and that would be getting to work in the front office of a professional sports team. It's more of a dream job than anything else.

In your case just hang time and ride out the storm.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
I already travel for work and still can't afford housing. Please get me out of CaliforniašŸ˜«

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Ehhhhhh it'd be tough.

I'm in a tech adjacent company in Norcal. Love my area. Love the activities and just the West Coast in general (skiing, going to try to get into white water kayaking a bit more).

It'd have to be a boost in pay and somewhere I've always wanted to be. NYC would be #1 with a bullet but Boston, Philly, Toronto, Baltimore. I'd be interested. Never done the east coast.

Texas is cool but I kinda yearn for the Austin of 10-20 years ago. I don't want to go where all the Cali people are moving lol. Dallas and Houston seem like a parking lot (Houston culture wise seems good just so spread out my god). Florida is just batshit insane. Maybe Chicago or something.

Internationally Spain or Eastern Europe would be cool. Did the asia thing kinda over that. So it would have to be very specific and probably 10-20k to make it work in one of those larger cities. Oh and I wfh so flexibility there. So yeah bit of a small target

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I voted nope because the market isn't stable, but I also wouldn't pass up on a dream job in Manhattan as long as it would pay enough for me to live there and also pay for my mom's rent.

That's never going to happen, so it will remain a no.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I would relocate only if you are not happy with your life in your current place, otherwise better to work remotely.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My wife and I have lived in Austin for about 14 years but have no family and don't own a home so I'd relocate. One of us would need to have a really good job offer though so that it would allow the other some time to find something new. Ideally one of us could keep working remote while searching but hard to say how feasible that is.