Would you reply?

• No dont reply

Votes: 127 73.0%
  • yes write back

Votes: 47 27.0%

• Total voters

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I received a text from a number I dont know. It was just "Is this ____ ____?" They have my first and last name correct. 2 of my friends said reply, 1 said not to.

I already tried googling the number and nothing came up

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't reply.
If it's someone you know they'd be like "Is this __, it's me, ___!"

In a world of text scams don't bother unless they tell you who they are and you know them.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
They can get your name and are probably hoping to engage you in conversation in order to scam you in some way. I'd say don't reply. If it's really someone you know, they should know enough to supply more info than that.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
If someone really wants to blind contact you, their opening should be "Hey this is <so-and-so> from <such-and-such>, is this <you>?"

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
give em the catfacts

only people i trust would subscribe to catfacts

(serious answer: I feel like anyone contacting you for legit reasons would identify themselves as well)

Last edited:

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Just reply back "is this ___________________________" and put in whichever name you can come up with that will provide the most potential lols or go with "is this a cop, legally you have to tell me if you're a cop"

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
The only times I've ever gotten texts like this were from when I was applying to jobs online and my number would get put out there, and basically I'd get offered shitty/fake jobs.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Apparently there's someone else who used to have my phone number that a lot of people think is me, and one time I got a text about what time to come over to do wood flooring or something. I had to tell them they had the wrong number.

But if they know my first and last name? That's a scam. Block asap.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Someone texted "hey [first name], how ya been?" to me before. Since it was from the area code I used to live in I responded "who is this?" Asking first and last name is kind of a red flag to me though. Who would text that to a person they know?

I knew the person that texted me. They said I had their other cell number saved or something. Is the area code familiar at least?

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
"Yes. Who is this?"

If it's a scam, who cares? Just block them. FWIW, I've never been solicited via text message.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This happened to me yesterday but it was pretty obvious how the person got my number. They were looking at buying homes in the area, pulled up the tax info on the house, then used spokeo or some other directory service to get the owner's contact information, and they got my contact information instead.

My name isn't that uncommon among Hispanics, so I told the lady that contacted me that she got the wrong [my name] and wished her luck on her search. She apologized and that was that.

Oct 27, 2017
Memphis, TN
I guess it also could depend on what kind of work you do? For me my job involves unfamiliar numbers calling and texting me reasonably regularly so if I got a text like that I would respond presuming it could be work related.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Someone texted "hey [first name], how ya been?" to me before. Since it was from the area code I used to live in I responded "who is this?" Asking first and last name is kind of a red flag to me though. Who would text that to a person they know?

I knew the person that texted me. They said I had their other cell number saved or something. Is the area code familiar at least?

The area code is from a big city about 30 minutes away from me

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
If they knew you it's unlikely they'd ask full name? It would just be like, "hey, is this Steve? It's me Alex" etc

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
It could be some automatic spam thing. Once you reply (no matter what you say) they know they have a number that's being used so have the green light to start all the junk calls/texts.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't. A lot of scammers get your information easy these days. Normally folks would respond with "hey its blahblahblah" as well since im assuming it's not someone i would normally text.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I'd treat it the same way I do with calls I don't recognize: ignore it (unless they can prove it's someone I actually know).

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Usually ask who it is or how I would know them. If it is a scam, it's easy enough to straight block them.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
No one that knows me would use my full name like that, so no. It smells like someone trying to confirm the association and use it later for either more spam or worse.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I replied anything I'd just respond who is this?

Who wants to know and depends who is asking confirms it is you while just asking them who they are does not.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I would just reply with that Wahlberg gif from The Departed

"Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe go fuck yourself."

Having my name just means they have my phone number. If it's someone that knows me they'll laugh at the dumb gif. If it'sa stranger they'll ignore the number.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
I always ignore unknown numbers. If it's important they will leave a message explaining. Usually if it's from someone I don't know I never hear back (probably scams)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd either not say anything, or I'd say "I'm sorry, but who is this?"

It could be a scammer but w/e, they've already got your number... They've probably got enough to go on to spam you anyway.