• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you tip if the feature was available?

• Yes!

Votes: 28 7.3%
  • No!

Votes: 210 54.4%
  • Do i look like a charity to you?

Votes: 123 31.9%
  • Only if the experience was exceptional

Votes: 25 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Like instead of making microtransactions they would opt in a "tipping" feature where players can donate any amount of money to the developers or the publisher if you are feeling charitable. We kinda see this with streamers and don't see why not for games.

Indie games in particular would benefit in my mind with such a feature.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People who tip less than 20% would get a red icon above their characters and be hunted down by everyone.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no.

Besides unlike tipping a server at a restaurant, the money wouldn't actually go to the devs.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Nah. Usually if I like a game enough I'll buy gift copies for friends.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Only if the game is free to begin with. Otherwise, no.

That's sort of how it works in PoE. Game is free, all content is there for you, but you can buy supporter packs to give them money cause the game is just great.

For anything else which is paid hell no.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
You mean like instead of being given something for the money we give companies you'd instead just give them money and get...nothing?

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
If I tip less than 20% everytime I play, the developer is going to spit in my game next time

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
For something I already paid for? Absolutely not.

The only exception would be an Indie game made by like one or two people that is self-published and is one of those "pay what you want, even free" releases you see all over on Itch.io. And even then, that usually ends up with me paying a bit before I've played anyway, not after.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
If I tip less than 20% everytime I play, the developer is going to spit in my game next time
49631.jpg

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Americans, stop trying to put tipping in everything.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, if I already paid 60$ for a game, they shouldn't include MTX or don't have the nerve to ask for tipping.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I'd maybe be ok with this for some very small indie, where I knew the money was going to the five-person team or whatever. If there's a publicly traded publisher involved, fuck no.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I tip people in Dota with shards to get them to tilt and get mad, if you mean something like that then yeah definitely.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Would be abused immediately, hard HARD no. Losing proposition for everyone.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Itch.io kinda has that, by letting developers sell their game at any price, including free, but also adding a "maybe you'd like to pay X instead?" Also, some developers have "buy us a coffee" DLCs for their games, where the DLC usually adds nothing, or something very small, for $5 or $10.

mddover

Jan 9, 2019
Tipping isn't to a company but rather to the specific person who served you, so it doesn't make much sense for games. The gaming version of tipping would be more like when an indie developer has a patreon, or when a game is kickstarted.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you really want to give publishers/devs extra money, you can simply write a check and send it to their office.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
No, we have no guarantee where the money goes. It would get siphoned into higher ups pockets not the programmers, artists, testers, etc...

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's how I look at cosmetic DLC. It's my way of tipping, but I get something cool for it

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
On a practical level? Wouldn't really work. But for small indie games? Yeah I'd be down. Sometimes it's worth it. Wouldn't mind sending some more money for the devs.

Like I've spent a ton of hours into slay the spire, don't mind giving the devs some extra money.

But a tipping feature in an AAA game would just be weird.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Implement that and also a circumcision feature, a eat burger button, and a dedicated clapping minigame for the complete American experience

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
on free to play games i like i 'tip' by buying a microtransaction right before i stop playing it forever

on games that cost money, i already bought the game, i'll only buy dlc if i want it

im not tipping for games ive already bought

Status
Not open for further replies.