Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I don't care that much for paying that much money to do a hard mode of a boss rush.

Saying the savage raids are a "hard mode" of the normals is, while not entirely wrong, also misrepresents the endgame. Personally I think it's actually more accurate to say that the savage tier is the normal endgame, while the normal raids are stripped down versions for storytelling purposes and casual players. Savage (and the ultimate & extreme trials) are where the coordination, communication and player skill of an endgame MMO raid is required. As casual players we wouldn't bother, but it is the content that people pay for, the thing that a MMO player might pay a level boost to skip to.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Saying the savage raids are a "hard mode" of the normals is, while not entirely wrong, also misrepresents the endgame. Personally I think it's actually more accurate to say that the savage tier is the normal endgame, while the normal raids are stripped down for storytelling purposes and casual players. Savage (and the extreme trials) are where the coordination, communication and player skill of an endgame MMO raid is required. As casual players we wouldn't bother, but it is the content that people pay for, the thing that a MMO player might pay a level boost to skip to.

Yes, I get that you are expected to gear up and learn the boss sequence, its just not interesting for me and are basically where the most judgmental players reside just like WoW.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Man I hope they go back to a grounded setting after this expansion, they did good Ol' Azeroth so much better.

For me at least, Blizzard are still up there when it comes to cinematics, I think a lot have forgotten how damn good their launch/reveal trailers are.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Strange. XIV fans always tell me all the material for characters are in the game and any other external media you can forget about as its not critical to understanding any character motivations or backstory. So thanks for letting me know that. :)

It's true for everything except this.

The FF14 team doesn't really do this (there's some fun optional lore stuff out of game, but it's also freely accessible on their website and not really integral to anything), but the physical book is both extremely hard to acquire (they barely make any copies and it's basically always sold out) and, since they rarely do this, most people honestly don't even know about it, so it's not really like anyone is intentionally lying to you or something tbh if that's what you're implying.

I know plenty of people who live and breath this game for tens of thousands of hours and didn't know. It's not really widespread knowledge.

The excerpt is readable here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/iiyeeu/chronicles_of_light_the_hunt_begins_the_offical/ fwiw. It's pretty good tbh.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So he's another puppet to another Bigger baddie? I've seen this movie already. This is being ridiculous. Everyone is a puppet.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Strange. XIV fans always tell me all the material for characters are in the game and any other external media you can forget about as its not critical to understanding any character motivations or backstory. So thanks for letting me know that. :)

This feels like a weird comment.

And I'd argue the info about Zenos isn't really relevant actually since it's trying to imply that they were trying to make him a sympathetic character but that wasn't the intention.

Zenos is basically the player who skips all the story to get to the endgame content. Which for some this really works for others this really doesn't work. For me at least thematically I like his inclusion in Endwalker and what his character ultimately says in relation to the overall story but again it's not something that works for everyone.

And obviously that's fine. No one is right either way and both feelings towards the character is 100% valid, hence a certain choice in the game.

Snozz

Dec 6, 2020
This feels like a weird comment.

And I'd argue the info about Zenos isn't really relevant actually since it's trying to imply that they were trying to make him a sympathetic character but that wasn't the intention.

Zenos is basically the player who skips all the story to get to the endgame content. Which for some this really works for others this really doesn't work. For me at least thematically I like his inclusion in Endwalker and what his character ultimately says in relation to the overall story but again it's not something that works for everyone.

And obviously that's fine. No one is right either way and both feelings towards the character is 100% valid, hence a certain choice in the game.

Yeah I'd agree with this, personally I would've enjoyed seeing that story come up as part of Garlemald in endwalker because I do think it's a significant part of why he is who he is, but you're right that they weren't trying to make him into a sympathetic character in the last hour. He specifically asks another character from Garlemald if they would've been happier if he had a better reason for his actions- the dude did not care.

It is, however, one of the smaller reasons that I think 6.0 probably tried to cover too much ground in hindsight and could've been split into 6.0 and 7.0. All the funnier considering this thread is about the desperate lack of story in wow over the last 2 yearsā€¦ shouldn't complain really.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Idk. I still very much dislike Zenos as a character. In Endwalker they tried to give motivation to him but its like the writers gave up half-way and sidelined him. Even down to a "if I told you I had a motivation would that make you feel better". Hes just a nothing character. Just there to sound menacing and look evil.

Yeah Zenos is a terrible character.. he's nothing more than that a typical DBZ villlan that just wants to fight the protag and he never evolves beyond that. That said he's still far better than the Jailer.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
At this point they should use the Bronze dragonflight to do a big reset. Just start again after Warcraft 3 in Wow 2.

I know, not happening.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played shadowlands at all, but this seems shockingly low effort. Maybe I'm just used to ridiculously long story cutscenes from FF14 now, but that's it? That's the end of the expansion?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I haven't played shadowlands at all, but this seems shockingly low effort. Maybe I'm just used to ridiculously long story cutscenes from FF14 now, but that's it? That's the end of the expansion?
And the end entire storyline that's been set up since WC3, apparently.
At least, that's what the devs said when they talked about this patch.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive to see Blizz pulling the plug on an expansion harder than they did with Warlords of Draenor. What a mess.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
dx3btc9xrbm81.png

I feel like this "wait and see" style of storytelling isn't working for them. It feels like J. J. Abrams mystery box; something interesting is implied to happen later on, but is never able to deliver.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Honestly these big narratives and stories just don't work in an mmorpg. The amount of charm and originality Hearthstone has compared to Warcraft is crazy and really puts to shame everybody that wants "mature" and "deep" stories.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly these big narratives and stories just don't work in an mmorpg. The amount of charm and originality Hearthstone has compared to Warcraft is crazy and really puts to shame everybody that wants "mature" and "deep" stories.

A lot of people are going to disagree with you, but I think its always going to be at least a bit clunky.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Blizzard has always been best when they go for the 'less ire more' aspect in their games when it comes to writing.

Which is why I have no clue how people praise the writing change since Legion. The characterizations and dialogue are erratic and inconsistent, and this is just more proof of that.

It is purely on the strength of the cinematic and cut-scenes. As individual piece that set up the story to come like the Warbringers or 4 Covenant intros, they are really good. The rendered cut scenes like Sargaras stabbing Azeroth, are great on their own.

Legion was the last time the story told in the animation matched what was being told in game. BFA started the endless mystery box/cliff hanger method of telling story. Deliver shock and awe animated, but not having the game writing match.
Example, look at the Ashara- the hype it generated for her and N'zoth. The great underwater kingdom of Naga was reduced to a tiny daily quest zone and we beat her in the chapter she was reintroduced. N'zoth got two existing zones reskinned with dailies, nightmare version skits in Ogr/SW, and DBZ edout of existence in a raid. (Let's no forget the gift that you got to chose to keep, but story wise never came up again).

The Sylvanas plot over BFA and Legion still has not been explained adequately in game. So much so, we are getting a book "cough cash grab" what possible made her the dumbass she has been since BFA. She went from being cold, calculating general who fought on her terms to a zealot who blindly put faith in a guy nicknamed "The Jailer" who was going to set us all free. She joined the guy her tormented her in the Maw from "Edge of Night" and turned her back on the Forsaken.

Through Legion, we champions were valued for our service to Azeroth- we were made to feel like we were part of a team taking down the big bads. BFA and SL, naw Champion, you're just a servant to the story of Sylvanas. Will give you some pointless choices and daily quests while you sit back and watch the "story". You like Arthas? We are going to bring him an his cast back for cheap hype, then destroy the foundation of the story everyone has loved with our "cool" twists. Ner'zul, Kelthuzod, Arthas, all were retconned to appear for hype to go out like chumps. Kael'thas was at least fun to quest with.

What you loved never really happened- it was all our new generic bad guy's doing, who was just trying to save you. Sargarus, silly Titian was afraid of the Void, cause the Jailer manipulated him. N'zoth- he was just messing with head to get free. You may or may not have killed him, doesn't matter cause we need to get to the Jailer. The Jailer, despite Sylvanas' googly eyes for his great plan, tells you straight up he wants to dominate everyone. At the end- no wait, Zoval just wanted to unite everyone under one rule to fight a bigger bad, just like your boy Arthas. But I told no one what that was because "gack" cliff hanger by death.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is there a real quick summary on how this relates to completing the WC3 story? Maybe it has been far too long since I've completed the campaign. Is the relation just being that Arthas was under influence of the Jailer?

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
But your not..?

Other MMORPGs have done stories just fine. It's just Blizzard who is constantly dropping the ball.
You could argue that wotlk and warcraft 3 were fine, but for me it is was a generic. In my eyes the main thing carrying WoW is the art style and nostalgia. WoW is the last place I would look for high quality story.

That's not even a WoW problem, that's a blizzard problem, they just suck at storytelling.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I feel like this is an exact example of the kind of story that video games have a reputation for from non-gamers. People just expect that they're all this bad.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a real quick summary on how this relates to completing the WC3 story? Maybe it has been far too long since I've completed the campaign. Is the relation just being that Arthas was under influence of the Jailer?
Basically the Jailer has orchestrated every significant event in the warcraft universe with the nathrezim, who were under his command. This includes sargeras going evil and anything arthas ever did.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute trash. What started at WC3 according to your sell ends in another tease for another bigger baddie. Absolute trash.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah WoWs story has been pretty bad post Legion (and even after Lich King it was already going down).

Don't want to be "that person" but FFXIV's story and world building is amazing. If people are tired of WoW I'd definitely recommend it.
If only there was an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Blizz really dropping the ball on story writing. I just couldn't care less about the jailer doing everything he did for the "greater good".

Meanwhile we have GuildWars 2 and FF14 absolutely killing it with story telling while also providing cool and challenging gameplay content as well.

Can you drop the ball if you never had the ball in the first place? Blizzard has had some of the worst writers in the industry for a long time now. Just look at Diablo 3.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I know they went with an alternate reality in WoD, but is it too late to just take the main reality and merge it with another to try to fix the story and re-retcon stuff into something that makes sense and is actually exciting?

Bengraven