convo

Oct 25, 2017
Short term gains have always resulted in turning a whole company around i am sure. I don't think this can convince people now to go out and buy an xbox to not own a copy of this game.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
How would it be any different from people who buy MTX in F2P games? Wouldn't that be a baseline? Isn't that number pretty low?

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is a middle ground here. It either works and saves GP or it fails and GP dies and they potentially devalue COD in people's eyes. It's a hell of a gamble and feels like if it goes poorly, a lot of heads will roll. It'll be interesting to watch how it plays out over the next 18 months.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about turning anything around a week after they closed 2 fan favorite studios for no apparent reason other than "they were making games and we can't handle that" isn't really naive but certainly extremely nice towards Microsoft. They haven't even really finished laying those people off yet. Microsoft is still actively busy swerving into oncoming traffic, I think we should at least allow them to finish that move before proclaiming them to be on a road to recovery.
is it an absolutely certainty that Microsoft will make more of their employees suffer layoffs?

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Honestly, I fear for the devs of COD, hell, even for the non-COD devs, if this doesn't bring in the money they want.
Honestly, out of MS's entire portfolio, the 5k devs (or whatever the number is) who work on CoD are probably the most safe, no matter what. If this series doesn't bring in the subscriptions the way the C-suite wants, literally nothing will.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How many months of Gamepass do you need to be subscribed to for the money to surpass the cost of CoD at retail?

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
I don't think there is a middle ground here. It either works and saves GP or it fails and GP dies and they potentially devalue COD in people's eyes. It's a hell of a gamble and feels like if it goes poorly, a lot of heads will roll. It'll be interesting to watch how it plays out over the next 18 months.
Thing for the life of me I can't understand is why even take the risk? At this point as much as the consumers would be furious I would discontinue Game Pass or start to sunset it. Like the damage it has done is crazy to me. They have fostered an environment where their customers don't expect to purchase anything.

Gambling on something that has failed so spectacularly with one of biggest franchises in video gaming just seems honestly crazy to me.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
How many months of Gamepass do you need to be subscribed to for the money to surpass the cost of CoD at retail?
for the typical multiplayer user? 4 months as you will need Ultimate to play it on console (at least $17/mo)

hardly anyone will be subbing to play a single player campaign only.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thing for the life of me I can't understand is why even take the risk? At this point as much as the consumers would be furious I would discontinue Game Pass or start to sunset it. Like the damage it has done is crazy to me. They have fostered an environment where their customers don't expect to purchase anything.

Gambling on something that has failed so spectacularly with one of biggest franchises in video gaming just seems honestly crazy to me.

This really feels like the last Hail Mary attempt to save Xbox hardware.

vernacherMV

Feb 5, 2021
Incoming announcement from phil of largest single day record for gamepass sub addition, followed by no announcements in following months whether those subs have sticked around or not.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Worth the risk for such a rich company. There's no game they'll ever get that is this big that they'd be able to do this and see the impact it has on subs. If not a lot they'll learn quite a bit about their service. If a ton then it's all worth it I guess.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Circana October, November and December threads will be S Tier.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/bossshawnX/status/1791456352411562173?s=19

Probably not related but it's interesting how Series X sales have shot up with over 4K sold just on Amazon alone within the last month. Most of it probably within the last few weeks. Game Pass subscriptions have skyrocketed as well.

Honestly there's no other logical reason for this to be happening other than Hellblade 2. If this is even some tiny indication then Call of Duty on Game Pass could be pretty massive.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I wonder if people are going to do the math as consumers. Like if you only play COD, would you really subscribe to Game Pass rather than just buying it outright?
My bet is that MS is hoping that COD being on Game Pass turns it into the GAAS service as a one stop shop for most of the big GAAS games. Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, MLB The Show and last year's EA Sports games all being on the service alongside COD and any other future GAAS hits that MS might have (Gears 6, Halo 7, Contraband and probably other stuff too) and third party GAAS games already on the service.

And realistically, if you're someone who only plays COD, you're already spending a bare minimum of $130 a year ($70 on COD, $60 on Gold) on Xbox, and assuming a price increase of Game Pass Ultimate (needed for COD) to $19/month, that's just two other full price games needed to entice someone to join Game Pass. The social aspect of the other games probably makes it more enticing to those casual players too

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
good for me that just wants a few rounds of Gun game every few weeks

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I hope for the sake of their employees, it doesn't, because they will be the ones who will suffer. It will be a bloodbath.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/bossshawnX/status/1791456352411562173?s=19

Probably not related but it's interesting how Series X sales have shot up with over 4K sold just on Amazon alone within the last month. Most of it probably within the last few weeks. Game Pass subscriptions have skyrocketed as well.

Honestly there's no other logical reason for this to be happening other than Hellblade 2. If this is even some tiny indication then Call of Duty on Game Pass could be pretty massive.

Made a tweet on this but basically Amazon typically has low stock of Series X to begin with, but now they are the only top 5 retailer (GameStop, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon) selling the X at $449.

That would be why it's shooting up the charts now.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Made a tweet on this but basically Amazon typically has low stock of Series X to begin with, but now they are the only top 5 retailer (GameStop, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon) selling the X at $449.

That would be why it's shooting up the charts now.

I'm not so sure about that since Game Pass subscriptions have skyrocketed as well. I don't think they had low stock of those as well.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a section of people are trying to stack subscriptions now before the rumored price increase.

I would wait until Circana actually confirm if spending has increased though.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, if cod day one doesnt make some numbers go up, its over.

I think they will. The thing to pay attention to is if the momentum holds beyond a month or two after. I can see people buying a month or so just to play the campaign and/or mess around in the multiplayer, especially those that don't usually buy (or want to buy) a CoD game at full price.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not so sure about that since Game Pass subscriptions have skyrocketed as well. I don't think they had low stock of those as well.
Game Pass Ultimate 1 month sub card is #10 for the month of May and Game Pass Core 12 month sub card #27.

Game Pass Ultimate 1 month sub card is #9 in the hourly chart right now and Game Pass Core 12 month sub card #40.

They are placing/selling the same as they've been all month, more or less.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass Ultimate 1 month sub card is #10 for the month of May and Game Pass Core 12 month sub card #27.

Game Pass Ultimate 1 month sub card is #9 in the hourly chart right now and Game Pass Core 12 month sub card #40.

Even if they are increasing, I would have pinned it on the rumored price increases being the cause. I don't see it being CoD on GP because I don't know why'd you buy GP now when CoD is not out for another 5 months or so.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about the overall games numbers relative to past months, things are unusual on Amazon right now because they're having their seemingly biannual feud with Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that has to be calculated user-by-user. Lets say you have two players that typically buy CoD every year and that's their main game that takes up almost all their gaming time and money:

Person A may buy CoD for full price (~$70) every year at launch. Person B may be the type that waits for the game to hit a holiday sale (~$50).

Since a lot of game purchases are digital, it's possible to see at what price range different individuals pick up the game historically and then calculate how much was being "given up" by putting it onto the subscription. From there, you can take the sum of how much they're getting in subs (n * average GP cost) versus how much they're losing in sales (person A + B +C....) to tell what it looks like in terms of net profit. This is pretty clean math since you're dealing with people who really only spend money on one franchise.

The average gamer only buys like one game a year so the $200/year for GP is significantly more than that but might also be less than what the hardcore spend. Actually, hardcore players would be the messiest from a data analysis perspective because they buy lots of stuff in physical stores (or used) so tracking their price history can be difficult and they are also just likely to finish a lot more games every year which makes it hard to say the impact any individual game has on keeping them subscribed.

P30

May 23, 2022
Its a great plan. They get more Xbox sales. More Game Pass subscribers. More Xcloud users and Even more in game purchases. Releasing COD on Gamepass brings much more revenue for them than just selling it once. Also expect heavy marketing for Xbox+COD+GamePass

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

I think the comparison was last month vs this month which has definitely seen an increase. Not this month vs the current hourly chart which it being similar is not much of a surprise.

Even if they are increasing, I would have pinned it on the rumored price increases being the cause. I don't see it being CoD on GP because I don't know why'd you buy GP now when CoD is not out for another 5 months or so.

Yea I can't imagine it's COD on Game Pass since that's still a ways off.

I think it's plausible that it's seeing a bump because of Hellblade 2. I don't think it's outrageous to think that people that have let their subs expire are grabbing 1 month cards to play it. Much cheaper than paying full price for a game that's looks amazing but ultimately is just a 8-12 hr experience.

Last edited:

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know...I think the typical COD players only plays COD. It just makes sense to buy the game that they will play throughout the year and not bother to just "rent".

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
I think the comparison was last month vs this month which has definitely seen an increase. Not this month vs the current hourly chart which it being similar is not much of a surprise.

April
Game Pass Ultimate 1 month sub card was #13, Game Pass Core 12 month sub card #32, Game Pass Ultimate 3 month sub card #43

May
Game Pass Ultimate 1 month sub card is #10, Game Pass Core 12 month sub card #27, Game Pass Ultimate 3 month sub card #45

In terms of ranking, it's "up", but the real sales aren't going to be too much different.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know...I think the typical COD players only plays COD. It just makes sense to buy the game that they will play throughout the year and not bother to just "rent".

Which is why Sarah Bond said it's about using the in-game stores of their games to drive interest in discounted MTX purchases via their mobile store. Microsoft is aiming to get more (all?) of the revenue from purchases of MTX/battle passes/DLC of all their live service games no matter what device you're on.

I'm halfway tempted to see if I can find some financial reports from Sony, Apple, Google, Activision, etc. on how much revenue is made from purchases of MTX, DLC and battle/season passes. It would stand to reason that will grow as AAA dev has to find ways to keep players engaged and monetize that play time.

How much does Microsoft stand to make if all of a sudden, for example, Candy Crush MTX is going through their own payment system versus giving Apple or Google a cut just because it's in the iOS and Google Play store, respectively? That's why they're fighting them to be able to make an app that doesn't have to process through the Apple or Google payment systems, so they don't have to give up that cut.

I think Game Pass was meant to always be the way to get more people to try more games. The in-game stores and monthly subs (e.g., Fallout 1st, WoW, ESO, etc.) are meant to monetize as much of the play time from those gamers as possible.

mightyrat

Sep 30, 2022
Couldn't give a single care about Microsofts profits, give me the game without having to pay $70 and I'm happy. Bring all the COD's over, I love those campaigns.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Fiscal year change hits on July 01. Related to all the recent news… maybe not… but there are almost always some layoffs during FY changes.
this reads like layoffs that are not out of the ordinary though. I meant layoffs within the thousands directly after recent acquisitions
absolute certainty? like has MS come out publicly and said "we're gonna shitcan more ppl"?

no, but i trust Jason Schreier and his reporting on it
I guess what I was asking is, based on the market trends if it is basically inevitable that Microsoft will lay more staff of from companies they recently acquired. Schreier may be one of if not the most trusted name in video gaming news, I would believe all of his reporting too.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The introduction of Game Pass and decisions around it strikes me as having been that sort of thing, and attempting to keep adding and sustaining value was always going to happen which is what this looks like. I'm not sure what the next step is for the service if this move doesn't act as a catalyst. They need to successfully move all these Xbox hardware customers over to the next box they make, for it all to have been worth it as well.
In almost every other category other than what seems like this gen's hail mary move for Xbox, I think Sony has had as much if not more to say.
I always thought the way Phil pitched Game Pass to Satya was a hail mary for the brand, but to see that approach fall through and then have the next strategy be mandated from the top makes me think that this is legitimately the final test.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it will release exclusively on gamepass on pc so you cant buy the full game and are sucked into enternally paying for GP. which would probably net more than 70 per person over the course of the games life.
Why would they do this?

While I can't agree with it, I can absolutely see this being successful in the broader gaming market. Especially if its actually a good game. Surprised EA didn't do it FIFA yet - they would print even more money with that series!
EA does it on their sub service, on PC.

People said this over and over about xbox 1st party titles and even went as far as saying Sony and other 3rd party devs should follow. There's a reason why xbox remains to this day, the only one that does it.
Both EA and Ubisoft do it.

CrackaFett

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming it will be like Diablo for PC game pass where it's a battle net launcher thing? I only play warzone so maybe I'll dip in for the campaign and level up broken meta guns for a month.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I think it may work. again I know it sounds like wishful thinking for the Xbox community, but Call of Duty is consistently the biggest name in video games, hate it or love it. and Microsoft is greatly boosting the incentive to own an Xbox and a gamepass subscription if it means getting the new CoD day and date without having to pay $70 for it.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
I think it may work. again I know it sounds like wishful thinking for the Xbox community, but Call of Duty is consistently the biggest name in video games, hate it or love it. and Microsoft is greatly boosting the incentive to own an Xbox and a gamepass subscription if it means getting the new CoD day and date without having to pay $70 for it.
And why would people switch consoles to get CoD on gamepass. Also if you only play CoD why not just buy it instead of paying more for it over the long term?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they do this?
They wouldn't make it exclusive to the subscription, but for a long while Microsoft has felt really oblivious to their situation on PC, and I've seriously wondered when they might say "nah I'd win" and stop putting games on Steam.
They're apparently planning on putting Minecraft on Steam, so maybe they wizened up. I legit think their PC games operations weren't getting much oversight until very recently, when the ROG Ally came out and Phil Spencer got one for himself.

Jun 20, 2021
I think this news might be offset by the general Xbox doomerism at the minute though.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Why pay $70 when you could pay monthly forever!

Snark aside, this does feel like a final gambit where major, major changes come if this move comes and goes without GamePass subs increasing but sales decreasing.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020

Getting an Xbox and a gamepass subscription is a significant investment compared to paying 70 for COD.

If you don't own an Xbox free on gamepass doesn't matter much. When obtaining that "free" game is actually hundreds of dollars.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I'm honestly curious how many people fit into this chunk of the consumer pie like MS thinks they do...

I don't imagine this pushing the numbers up in some wild way as like... most COD fans especially playing on the Xbox probably already have GP i would imagine? Like, I can't imagine there is this secret treasure trove of Cod Consumers just hiding in the wings on PC waiting to sign up to GP if only CoD was there...

this is gonna be an interesting couple of quarters...

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see how CoD can drive up subscription numbers, at least on console. Where are are those users coming from?

Are they existing Xbox owners that don't have a Gamepass sub? How many people is that? Would CoD have any power to convince them?
Users switching from PlayStation? Does buying a whole new box to get the subscription make financial sense for a lot of people?

PC is a bit of a wildcard, but I don't have a clue of how big CoD is on PC. I always figured it was way bigger on consoles.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine many people switching consoles over this but it might push people over from the core tier to the ultimate tier.

Or maybe people that don't have next gen yet might consider it.