Cels

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mobile...t-be-our-post-net-neutrality-world-1512988200

paywalled but i'll post some quotes

The current rules, expected to be all but eliminated by the Federal Communications Commission, require that internet service providers treat all traffic on their networks equally, a concept known as net neutrality. The FCC's vote, scheduled for Thursday, has far-reaching implications for the way consumers experience the internet, how they pay for it and, potentially, which companies will dominate it.

One example of how things could work is the mobile wireless market, where some providers already favor certain websites and services over others.

Deals began emerging several years ago for inexpensive plans that offer unlimited high-speed access to popular services such as Facebook or Twitter, but limited or even restricted access to the rest of the internet. Big internet providers also used it to favor their own content. AT&T Inc. gave paying customers unlimited usage of its own online video service DirecTV Now, while other video sites counted against monthly data caps.

This is what is known as "zero-rating" which is mentioned in the article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-rating

Under the new regime, internet providers would be allowed to prioritize their own or other companies' services by delivering them at higher speeds—sometimes called fast lanes. Net neutrality advocates worry that if content companies start paying for faster delivery, they will pass those costs onto consumers.

That means that AT&T could not only exempt DirecTV Now from monthly data caps, but it could also ensure DirecTV Now always loads faster and has a clearer picture quality than a rival like Netflix—unless those rivals pay for faster delivery, too.

In comments to the FCC over its rollback proposal, several of the big internet service providers have pushed in particular for eliminating the rule on paid prioritization, or fast lanes, saying an outright ban is unjust and could hinder some pro-consumer services.

AT&T executives have said paid prioritization could be useful for high-definition video teleconferencing and multiplayer online gaming, among other possibilities.

Comcast Corp. said paid prioritization could be used "to issue severe weather and Homeland Security warnings and for emergency services purposes, as well as … systems for the hearing-impaired, telemedicine, and autonomous vehicles."

what kind of consumer actually wants this? do pai and the other two commissioners who will vote to scrap the rules think people will be happier afterwards?

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Thank you for stating the obvious WSJ. What do the authors think consumers have been fretting about for the past few years and more specifically the past few months.

We already see zero rating by ISPs, this take is so fucking old.

Scubamonk

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder how hard it will be for Dems to roll this back when they are back in. This is obviously disastrous for the consumer.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what kind of consumer actually wants this? do pai and the other two commissioners who will vote to scrap the rules think people will be happier afterwards?

Have you seen the Tax Code?

This, along with deregulations at the EPA and a bunch of other shit, is 100% about GOP donor money.

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mobile...t-be-our-post-net-neutrality-world-1512988200

This is what is known as "zero-rating" which is mentioned in the article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-rating

This isn't about profits and consumption so much as it's about controlling the free flow of information and determining what's accessible for the purpose of controlling what the public thinks. This is censorship.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Consumers? Pai and other other two don't care. As long as those big companies are happy, they will be happy too.

HylianTom

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I don't normally embrace accelerationism, but this is one issue where I feel fine with shrugging at the outcome and saying, "fine. Let the voters of the country learn that there is indeed a difference between the two parties. That elections matter. That maybe we need to look more at actual policy proposals instead of petty shit like 'I don't like that candidate personally.' That voting has consequences."

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Internet 2.0 will come. People aren't going to put up with this shit. It's like a hydra, cut off one head yadda yadda yadda

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
We need to stop the vote... I dont mean with calls.. We need to physically stop it. Protest in front of there cars and refuse to leave.. Its been done before.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
They already sell all of our information and broswing history to the highest bidder, the internet should be free/low cost and unfiltered. This is bullshit.

Im praying Musk figures out his satelite internet and its at least 5g

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I don't normally embrace accelerationism, but this is one issue where I feel fine with shrugging at the outcome and saying, "fine. Let the voters of the country learn that there is indeed a difference between the two parties. That elections matter. That maybe we need to look more at actual policy proposals instead of petty shit like 'I don't like that candidate personally.' That voting has consequences."

This isn't going to be the thing that does it.

Consumers are already so conditioned to how the mobile market works, and dwindling subscriber usage on the home wired service side (speaking anecdotally from working at an ISP) is only going to get the companies pushing harder to maintain profits in the wireline side using wireless tactics.

They just don't care. The younger generation was born into a world with data caps and zero rating. Its already the norm for them. By the time they're voting age, if they're not already, this will be a non-issue for them. It's just "life".

At best the impact this'll have is on people who abuse their wifi at home while only using data out while away, and only if they're accessing services that don't just end up zero rated.

You'd think this would be the common, obvious thing to do but I've seen enough data overage bills on people to think otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
This will happen so smoothly most consumers won't even notice.

Oh, now this service doesn't count against my data cap? Cool.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That's where I've been for the last several months. Voters need to be hurt to learn anything. Sure, I'll be hurt in the process, but this generation needs to learn this lesson.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

They will all get nice lobbying jobs when they resign, so they don't care as long as they get paid.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
Time to pay extra for online gaming, in addition to the fee you are already paying Xbox Live and/or PS+.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Time to pay extra for online gaming, in addition to the fee you are already paying Xbox Live and/or PS+.

Im sure they see this as a way to make money, and its sad because gaming is so NOT data intense...downloading a game can be, but playing it is just the exchange of some pretty basic 1's and 0's (to way over simplify it). I can totally see them nerfing pings artificially, and then sellling 'LOW PING" booster plans, which would only remove the artificial speed bumps that really do not exist.