• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Did a search and couldn't find this article anywhere on the site. Super interesting article about parents hiring coaches for their kids to become better at Fortnite! And, reported in a conservative, mainstream media newspaper! (had to link a Bleacher Report article because the Wall Street Journal has a paywall.)

Are we looking at a future where Esports becomes like little league and you have overbearing parents yelling at their kids and forcing them to play video games? I cannot imagine my parents doing this for me when I was a kid!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...oaches-to-improve-play-help-children-level-up

It wasn't the violence or the amount of time she was worried about. It was the result. He wasn't winning.

So she hired him a coach. For about $50, Ms. Hicks purchased four hours of online lessons from a player she found through a freelance labor website.

Rob hopes his friends don't find out how he upped his game. "They'll probably think I'm cheating or something," he said. "That's how 10-year-old kids work."

Hiring a "Fortnite" coach for a child is no different than enlisting an expert to help a child excel at basketball or chess, parents say. Some sit in on lessons to make sure coaches are professional and that their children, well, level up.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Rob hopes his friends don't find out how he upped his game. "They'll probably think I'm cheating or something," he said. "That's how 10-year-old kids work."

This sounds like something I'd read in a gaming magazine back in the late 80s or early 90s.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
"i hope people never find out that my kid got a coach, thats why i'm giving an interview about it"

Great plan there.

Still, crazy that this is a thing, but the good kind of crazy i guess? Nothing wrong with people taking competitive games a bit more seriously to me. Its an entertainment/competitive niche as sports. As long as people are doing what they enjoy, more power to them.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"So yeah bruh, just shoot it until it dies. That will be $50 plus tip, see ya next week. Don't forget to train your dabbing."

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
"So yeah bruh, just shoot it until it dies. That will be $50 plus tip, see ya next week. Don't forget to train your dabbing."

"so yeah bruh, just kick the ball into the goal/throw the ball into the hoop. you're the next ronaldo/lebron now, pay me up"

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The article isn't very clear, but hopefully she did it because the kid asked for help and not because she was worried about her kid not winning at something.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to know which is the training regime that the coaches give to the kids

And even though this is something that I would never do with my kids, at least is cool that parents want to help their kids get better at the hot game right now, unless they are doing it because they want to groom an e-sport competitor

OP
OP
Harris Katz

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
On top of everything, I am amazed at how much of a phenomenon Fortnite has become in such a short. Of time! How long does it last?

And at that point isn't all of the money to parents spent trying to get their kids to become good enough to be competencec gamers thrown away?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know which is the training regime that the coaches give to the kids

And even though this is something that I would never do with my kids, at least is cool that parents want to help their kids get better at the hot game right now, unless they are doing it because they want to groom an e-sport competitor
gamer-food.jpg

Nuts of destruction motherfucker

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I should think we're way passed the point where people still think you can't make money from playing video games.

Between Esports and Streaming, video gaming is now a viable career.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did South Korea ever reach this level when Starcraft or Starcraft II were at their height?

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
maybe i can use my engineering major to be a minecraft coach too

"build stuff better, kids"

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember this being a thing in Starcraft II - admittedly I don't think parents were the driving force but the players themselves wanting to pay to be coached. I would never do this for my kids and I love videogames and esports lol.

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title made me think it was about a tutor making sure the kid wasn't playing too many hours.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Kid was probably upset at dying so much so the parent spent a few measly bucks trying to improve her kids hobby.

I gave my brother $20 to help my little sister in Fortnite. Now she's able to win games and constantly places top 20.

OP
OP
Harris Katz

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Did South Korea ever reach this level when Starcraft or Starcraft II were at their height?
Good point. But that is South Korea and a "classic" game.

Kids, nowadays, do not seem have much of an attention span. They generally move on to the next big thing as soon as the old thing becomes mainstream. (Yes, I am just generalizing)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
These kids are going to be so fucked as adults. Helicopter parenting leads to therapy.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
We have Fotnite tutors now?
Do they teach kids how to spell Fortnite?

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not strange at all.
I knew several people who were Minecraft tutors over the weekends.

I used to tutor someone in Torchlight 2 modding!

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
It is not that damn serious :/ Apparently for some folks though, it is. These kids can't watch YouTube videos / tutorials for free like the rest of us?

Oct 30, 2017
Welcome to the new age. Instead of sending your kid to baseball camp or getting them piano or guitar lessons, send them to Fortnite camp to boost their e-pro career.