CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
loblnEN.png

Wuthering Waves Official Website

Wuthering Waves is a story-rich open-world action RPG with a high degree of freedom. You wake from your slumber as Rover, joined by a vibrant cast of Resonators on a journey to reclaim your lost memories and surmount the Lament. Wuthering Waves is currently under development. Follow us for more...

Very impressive for a gacha game not made by Hoyoverse. To put this in perspective, Genshin at around 10 million at launch and Star Rail had a little under 11 million. We're a week before launch and the game has more than twice the number of pre-registrations.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
If they have their content pipeline figured out they have a money maker here.

While idc about the game some competition that isnt from Hoyo itself is good.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017

Wow, yeah I'm kinda surprised. Good on them getting the word out so effectively. The combat is clean so here's hoping they've got the content to back it up and the game can sustain itself.

I am kinda worried if they didn't update the artifact farming since CBT tho some people may bounce off that pretty hard. I could see people unironically hating it more than Genshin's farming, but the community has been pretty vocal about it in the West as well as CN so my fingers are crossed.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Obviouslly there's no 30 million pre register, that number is inflated as fuck, but the hype around the game in social media does indeed feels real, not like for example ZZZ that has barely any hype online.

Hope the game is good and genshin finally got serious competition.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i'm one of them

but uh, man. every time i see this game i think it looks pretty decent but then i remember the name...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i'm one of them

but uh, man. every time i see this game i think it looks pretty decent but then i remember the name...

A lot of the internet is just calling it WuWa because the name is silly

It's almost comical how much the economy, menu, and overall look of the game is basically tracing over what Genshin did. Even the microtransaction currency is 1:1, just check out the IAP values in the App Store for Genshin and WuWa and they're exactly the same.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
ahh Gacha!! I have never heard of it but it looks nearly identical to Genshin Impact. Is this releasing in NA too? I will try for free, but wont be going Gacha. I actually really enjoyed Genshin Impact until you finish all the content and the Gacha hits.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. Disappointed that it specifically uses Hoyo's flavor of gacha, though.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Does that even mean anything?
Man, all those metrics nowadays... playercount, cuncurrent players, how many views a trailer had...and at the end it says nothing. All those numbers are so washed out.

madbuk

Jul 2, 2022
ahh Gacha!! I have never heard of it but it looks nearly identical to Genshin Impact. Is this releasing in NA too? I will try for free, but wont be going Gacha. I actually really enjoyed Genshin Impact until you finish all the content and the Gacha hits.

New content is constantly added though? You basically get one huge area every patch now, and there are always events to do once you've finished that area and are waiting for the next patch's area to drop.

Mar 11, 2020
A lot of the internet is just calling it WuWa because the name is silly

It's almost comical how much the economy, menu, and overall look of the game is basically tracing over what Genshin did. Even the microtransaction currency is 1:1, just check out the IAP values in the App Store for Genshin and WuWa and they're exactly the same.
Wonder if their pity system with be the same. I basically treat Star Rail as a moderately expensive ongoing game and calculate amounts based on pity of actual cost of getting a character for me based on what i have currently. If you don't go for every character and only about 1 every 4 or so it's not that bad and sits around the cost of an ongoing subscription mmo.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Just watched the trailer on the landing page... Looks incredibly bland? Are most of these 30 million registrations bots haha. That's a crazy large amount of people!

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if their pity system with be the same. I basically treat Star Rail as a moderately expensive ongoing game and calculate amounts based on pity of actual cost of getting a character for me based on what i have currently. If you don't go for every character and only about 1 every 4 or so it's not that bad and sits around the cost of an ongoing subscription mmo.

i remember watching a video about it a while ago and their pity system is a bit better than genshin/ star rail + you had a currency to outright choose a standard banner 5*

and apparently these devs are also more generous on rewards (slightly) than hoyoverse but that isn't saying much lol.

Mar 11, 2020
i remember watching a video about it a while ago and their pity system is a bit better than genshin/ star rail + you had a currency to outright choose a standard banner 5*

and apparently these devs are also more generous on rewards (slightly) than hoyoverse but that isn't saying much lol.
Nice, i'll give it a shot as i like the art, but idk if i can be pulled away from Star Rail as i just adore that setting so much. Still want to try ZZZ too.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Obviouslly there's no 30 million pre register, that number is inflated as fuck, but the hype around the game in social media does indeed feels real, not like for example ZZZ that has barely any hype online.

Hope the game is good and genshin finally got serious competition.
I haven't seen much either but does ZZZ not have much hype? I thought they just announced 35 million pre registrations the other day?

OP
OP
CrazyHal

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Wonder if their pity system with be the same.

The gacha is overall a bit more generous. Hard pity for characters is 80 instead of 90 and the rate for 5 stars is 0.8% instead of 0.6%. There's still a 50/50 though which sucks.

The biggest difference is the weapon banner. There's only 1 feature weapon instead of 2 and it's a 100% guaranteed instead of 75%.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Wow, yeah I'm kinda surprised. Good on them getting the word out so effectively. The combat is clean so here's hoping they've got the content to back it up and the game can sustain itself.

I am kinda worried if they didn't update the artifact farming since CBT tho some people may bounce off that pretty hard. I could see people unironically hating it more than Genshin's farming, but the community has been pretty vocal about it in the West as well as CN so my fingers are crossed.

View: https://x.com/wuthering_waves/status/1790004067877728630?s=46

Mar 11, 2020
The gacha is overall a bit more generous. Hard pity for characters is 80 instead of 90 and the rate for 5 stars is 0.8% instead of 0.6%. There's still a 50/50 though which sucks.

The biggest difference is the weapon banner. There's only 1 feature weapon instead of 2 and it's a 100% guaranteed instead of 75%.
That's nice, i still really hate there being separated banners like that, but i would not complain if Hoyo made that kind of change.

It's hard to justify going after weapons/LCs for some mostly cause of that 25% chance. Basically if i lose that one i just don't get the weapon and save it for the next

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Really curious about this one. The extremely low 5* chances of MiHoYo games made me bounce really hard, really 1% should be the absolute minimum.
Yes I played Genshin and Star Rail, and yes I got wrecked by RNG on both game which made me rage quit pretty much.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Is this game any good? I remember seeing a lot of YouTube videos pop up with how much needs to be changed ect. Obviously the landscape is different now since genshin but 30 mill to 10/11 for genshin/star rail is a lot.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game any good? I remember seeing a lot of YouTube videos pop up with how much needs to be changed ect. Obviously the landscape is different now since genshin but 30 mill to 10/11 for genshin/star rail is a lot.
Early betas were rough. Lots of translation issues, font issues, story pacing, artstyle was wonky, gameplay loop was frustrating...Luckily they really listened and reworked a lot of systems. It's actually in a good place right now.

Where it differentiates itself is the combat and echo system.

Combat is faster and more "skill" based than something like Genshin or Tower of Fantasy. I'm not going to go out and say that's it's DMC, and since it's a gacha game there will always be power discrepancies, but it's from the PGR team and is a bit more twitch.

The echo system has been reworked quite often, but what it boils down to is that instead of artifacts or gear, like the Genshin/Honkai, you farm open world bosses and enemies for their souls, called echoes, free of a traditional energy system. Each time you kill an enemy, it has a chance to drop an echo. This echo is just like Genshin's artifact system: random main stat and substats. However, every soul has an active ability if it's slotted into your main echo slot. There is no specific slot restriction, you're free to use whatever echo in whatever slot, with the only limiting factor being the cost and which one you want to be your main echo. You have 12 "cost", and boss echoes cost 4, elites cost 3, normals cost 1. Enemies respawn daily, and you can co-op hop to get more chances at drops if you want to go full esports. Then you upgrade and get random substats ala Genshin/HSR.

You use "resin" in Wuwa to get the upgrade material. The whole echo system is structurally like Genshin/HSR, but inverted in the sense that you don't generally use your "resin" to farm "artifacts".

There's also a mastery system with echoes: the more you get, you increase your mastery which has numerous benefit. A bit like a Pokemon where you can "collect" them all.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017

Love to see it. Crazy that the game is only a week away after so long lol

Really curious about this one. The extremely low 5* chances of MiHoYo games made me bounce really hard, really 1% should be the absolute minimum.
Yes I played Genshin and Star Rail, and yes I got wrecked by RNG on both game which made me rage quit pretty much.

Rates/pulls are definitely a bit more player-friendly afaik (but still gacha ofc so not great lol but better). No 50/50 on the weapon banner at all for example & you can get 5* copies easily enough to actually factor them into builds without worrying about spending to an extent.

It's also a game where 5* may wind up being a bit less valuable than they are in other gachas just because it's a bit more skill-centric. The best character in the last cbt imo was a 4* with this really fun self-damage mechanic to boost their dps. Would really love if 4* stay competitive like that but who knows gotta sell units so we'll see how long the balance lasts.

Combat-wise at least it's excellent. Characters feel great and there's legitimate difficulty where you'll get bopped if you don't learn movesets/timings to an extent toward the endgame too. I've got concerns around content/farming (mostly farming echoes if it didn't get updated after last beta) and what I've seen of the story isn't super noteworthy but the game has a lot of potential.

YT content around it has admittedly been a bit weird lol. There's been some drama in the gacha community over it actually because it does feel like there is a part of the community that just doesn't want the game to do well and wants everyone to just glaze ZZZ instead or something idk.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
yeah from what i've seen combat actually looks engaging/ challenging.

I love genshin to death( seriously, I have over 400 hours easily) but the fact that hoyo is comitted to not adding any difficult content except spiral abyss made me sadly quit. So im hoping this is more my style.

edit: altho I just remembered what made me not register for wuwaves, iirc its not launching on ps5 right now only pc, which is unfortunate as i much prefer playing on my TV

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Definitely gonna check this out, been 'waiting' on it for a year or so now. Especially after recently re-picking up and redropping Genshin, I do like the general loops of these games but Genshin is too unchallenging to enjoy. From what I've seen of WuWa, the early content is still pretty easy because a lot of people are bad at games, but the difficult stuff is there.

Hopefully if we eventually get at least one melanated character in this one, they won't be mediocre and forgotten like how they did Sofia in PGR.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Might give this a shot. Are characters more flexible in this than Genshin? I hate 'building' characters in Genshin and how restrictive party compositions can be.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'll be trying it out, but I'm very concerned about the echo system grind. Will have to see to how it feels like in practice with the changes they've announced after the last beta implemented.

Very impressive for a gacha game not made by Hoyoverse. To put this in perspective, Genshin at around 10 million at launch and Star Rail had a little under 11 million. We're a week before launch and the game has more than twice the number of pre-registrations.
Correction: Star Rail had separate counts for China and the rest of the world, it was just shy of 33 million pre-registrations combined on launch day.
30 millions is a strong number regardless though.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Also one thing to note for MHY players, this game has a skip cutscene button, so if they start doing that 'yap yap' nonsense these games are known for, you can skip it here.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Off topic but is Genshen a genuinely fun game for someone who is strictly a single player guy looking for an open world game similar to maybe BotW? Or does it have a lot of gacha, rogue, paywall elements to it?

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but is Genshen a genuinely fun game for someone who is strictly a single player guy looking for an open world game similar to maybe BotW? Or does it have a lot of gacha, rogue, paywall elements to it?
No to the first one, Yes to the 2nd. If you're looking for a BOTW itch to scratch, this is not the game. The similarities are superficial

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
YMMV but I find the open world very fun to explore. Even if you're a pure free to play player you'll have no trouble clearing all the story and quests in the game. You get a sizeable amount of the in game currency just from playing and you can use that to pull for limited characters. However, the game does a good job of creating FOMO making you want to pull for more characters and weapons. If you can resist that pull and just be satisfied with a smaller roster of playable characters, there is a huge open world for you to enjoy with puzzles to solve all for free.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

As a certified Genshin hater, what are you looking for in regards to the open world? It's only surface level comparable to BOTW as the interactivity is leagues below BOTW, as there are no real physics at play. The combat 'exists' but the real fun of it is largely dependent on who you happen to roll, imo, as the free units they give you, like Amber or Lisa, have kits that work but aren't very interesting.

There is no paywall outside of, again, the combat fun, as some characters, especially the later on they were developed, just straight up have more fun kits to use. They've increased the banners you can pull from recently, but you're dependent on who is 'on' banner at the time for the majority of the higher tier units in the game.

As someone who cares a lot about fun combat and at least somewhat decent story pacing, Genshin is not a good game, but if exploring beautiful vists is what you're looking for, I can't deny that Genshin has that in spades. There are times where I'll come across environmental setpieces and be genuinely impressed at how they look.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if they'll even take the soft pity from Genshin / HSR. Around pull 75 in the Hoyo games your odds shoot up and you rarely ever go all the way to hard pity.

Kuro's other gatcha, PGR, on the other hand has a hard pity of 60. When they say 60 they mean 60. In my year+ with it I've never gotten anything before that.

On the other other hand PGR is structured around being able to get every character FTP.

Good news about the weapons banner though. Among the countless fucky things in gacha, banners like those are… in like the top 5.

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
This game has been mega hyped. I pre-registered but I never got very far in Genshin Impact. I found that I enjoyed Star Rail a lot more. Smaller worlds, turn based easier for me on mobile. That has me more interested in Etheria Restart since that's turn based