• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They obviously were not gonna spend the time to get the game playable so they're skipping it. Oh well

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
This is slightly concerning to me.

Why would they drop support instead of building on what they did last year? They were halfway there already. Is the gain really not worth the work?

Not fixing the game the next year is even more disrespectful.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
All they need to do is port No Mercy and/or Day of Reckoning. That's all they have to do!
Seriously.

They have the rights to about half of the roster for No Mercy and probably could license out the rest.

At this point, just bring over a Fire Pro Wrestling and that should satisfy wrestling fans until 2K/Yukes decide to give a shit.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame them they had serious problems trying and getting it to run on Switch. That game is terrible so them having to develop a unique game for Switch would be best for everyone if they want to sell something on it.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, we are in the I didn't even wanted anyway phase? Truly a worthy successor of Wii u

This series is really worthy of the mindset. It has been terrible for years on many platforms and the Switch version was the bottom of the barrel.

As previously mentioned, All Stars feel like the right game for the platform, not even a sequel, a remaster would be fine. They would prob have to remove CM Punk though. I feel like everyone who is happy about this skip, would also be happy to buy a version of All Stars on the Swtich

I cant find great GIFs, but this shit still looks cool...

GrizzledExhaustedAmazonparrot-max-1mb.gif

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
This series is really worthy of the mindset. It has been terrible for years on many platforms and the Switch version was the bottom of the barrel.

As previously mentioned, All Stars feel like the right game for the platform, not even a sequel, a remaster would be fine. They would prob have to remove CM Punk though. I feel like everyone who is happy about this skip, would also be happy to buy a version of All Stars on the Swtich

Dude, I was so bummed when All Stars 2 was cancelled.

Imagine them taking the groundwork from the first game, which honestly was barebones and adding in depth modes and more match types.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I don't blame them they had serious problems trying and getting it to run on Switch. That game is terrible so them having to develop a unique game for Switch would be best for everyone if they want to sell something on it.
Or they could just put some proper work into the conversion.

Another studio from the same publisher released one of the best ports on the system that has more NPCs and players on screen. They should be embarrassed.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a great company. They put out a subpar game last year so "eh we don't care to make it better so just skip the switch".

I would never work for a company like this.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

WWE All Stars was one of the most underrated wrestling games around.

It's honestly a damn shame that the All Stars gameplay engine and the Day of Reckoning gameplay engine are gathering up dust on a shelf somewhere while we get subjected to the shitty gameplay engine of the 2K games on a yearly basis.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
cool, Switch dodging a bullet
This is slightly concerning to me.

Why would they drop support instead of building on what they did last year? They were halfway there already. Is the gain really not worth the work?

Not fixing the game the next year is even more disrespectful.
i see you're not familiar with this game's history

Oct 25, 2017
WWE All Stars was one of the most underrated wrestling games around.

It's honestly a damn shame that the All Stars gameplay engine and the Day of Reckoning gameplay engine are gathering up dust on a shelf somewhere while we get subjected to the shitty gameplay engine of the 2K games on a yearly basis.

Haven't they been using the same engine since SVR09 for this series?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Or they could just put some proper work into the conversion.

Another studio from the same publisher released one of the best ports on the system that has more NPCs and players on screen. They should be embarrassed.

I would not be surprised if the spaghetti code Yukes is working with is so messy it would be nigh on impossible to downsize the game without a complete rehall. Yukes have been plastering over the gaping wounds this games has for years, and every time they fix something another issue pops up. The best Switch ports come from a game that is competent to start with, and this is not that.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Meh.

They have so many good options they could do if they wanted.

Remake a No Mercy-style game.
Put out a Wrestlefest-style game.
Bring back WWE All-Stars, which has a colorful style that matches perfectly.

I'd be ecstatic if Fire Pro eventually gets released by its devs, but I'm not holding my breath.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Meh.

They have so many good options they could do if they wanted.

Remake a No Mercy-style game.
Put out a Wrestlefest-style game.
Bring back WWE All-Stars, which has a colorful style that matches perfectly.

I'd be ecstatic if Fire Pro eventually gets released by its devs, but I'm not holding my breath.

They are likely doing this because they don't want to sink the money to properly port and support their existing game. I don't think creating a new game just for this platform is really an option.

WorldHero

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big deal. I'd rather 2K and Yukes try to improve the current gen versions, rather than spend resources trying to make a compromised Switch version.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not saying consoles need sports games to survive, and with FIFA and NBA 2K Switch is set, but they are definitely a sign of how well third party support is for a console. The fact that Switch hasn't seen a Madden is slightly worrying, because those and Call of Duty are what young kids buy when their parents can only afford a preowned last gen system.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
If you can't put this crap game on the switch, maybe you could, you know give people a game that they want AND can run good on the system.

WWE All Stars 2

....but nah

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bottom line is as long as 2K keeps Yukes as the devs, WWE license will be used as a cash cow as it still sells on PS4 and X1. Shitty old broke engine or not, it's gonna stay that way. In addition, it will basically lead to no more switch ports if 2K nor Yukes wants to fix it.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I love how people get angry at others for being ok with this. What did you expect?
WWE2k18 was a terrible port and going by this they have no intent in making it better. It's not like 2K is withdrawing support because NBA2k19 is coming, would you rather they release another broken game for the sake of "having support"?
That is just anti-consumer

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Even worse news: other platforms WILL be getting it.

As someone whose experience with wrestling games is limited to WWF No Mercy for the N64 and WWE 2K18 (from a Humble bundle last year)...what the hell happened to this subgenre?

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
What they should of said was "2018 will skip a WWE Game." Wwe games are probably some of the worst games around, nothing of valuable lost.

I actually dont know anyone who defends those games.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This is really a strange decision. the Switch is a successful platform, its selling faster than any other system in the US, so why skip a successful system with a big userbase? last year's version - from what I saw - had many problems, it wasn't even a proper "test". release a good version like NBA 2K18 and at the same time of the other versions, and then talk about the results...

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
They really should take time to develop a WWE game specifically designed for the Switch. They'd never do it, but a game focused on what the platform is truly capable of could go a long way.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Nothing of value is lost.
First post gets it.

This is really a strange decision. the Switch is a successful platform, its selling faster than any other system in the US, so why skip a successful system with a big userbase?
Probably because that userbase knows the WWE2K brand is garbage on it -- I don't know of a single Switch owner who actually recommends this game to anyone else. And it's not as if the Switch can't handle the game, given that more demanding stuff like Wolfenstein II and Warframe are making headlines. The only conclusion is that the bean counters realized they weren't able to improve the game sufficiently to woo back the audience and decided to write off this year as a loss instead.

Last edited:

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The whole WWE/Yuke's/2K situation is SO disappointing. 2K18 on the Switch chugged during the damn entrances!

As a fan of wrestling games for the multiplayer fun mainly...I really wish they could take an extra year off to work on these. These short cycles sure aren't helping any. Especially if they aren't able to get a proper version running when they just released a broken cash grab the previous year.

evilways811

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
St. Cloud, FL
It should skip all consoles to be honest. Take a break, hire a new competent team of developers, dump that buggy, shitty 18 year old engine, and release a game that's good and not riddled with glitches.

People are simply being illogical here. Somehow they think cause a singular game is bad it doesn't deserve to be on their precious system; ignoring the fact that situations like this lead to a publisher leaving the system; which leads to less games; which then leads to people saying they wish they had more games to play ; which leads to less sales. You'd think after the GameCube and the Wii U they've learn.

Nintendo fans are not a monolith. A handful of vocal people on a message board saying it doesn't mean much to them isn't representative. Also, on here, some will have more than one platform, so, they'll probably buy it elsewhere. Of course it "doesn't matter" to them, but their comments and your response are both parts of the problem. Stop this.

It's worth noting that the previous entry was not released at the same time as other versions, and when it arrived, it had issues that went unresolved. People on here need to stop concluding that "tests" were failed by fans, and start asking what publishers and development houses did to make their products succeed. I strongly suspect that the feedback for this game hasn't been great on all platforms, but unlike the Switch, other platforms had the benefit of simultaneous releases, joint promotional campaigns, and, in turn, optimal sales opportunity. Not putting the new entry on the Switch is undeniably a bad thing - Switch owners miss out, and fans of WWE on that platform miss out. "But other late ports do well!!" is a dishonest argument because unlike other genres, sports games release every season, meaning that they can become redundant very quickly. T2 have made some horrible missteps with the Switch, but this is true for a lot of other publishers.

Chixmeal

Banned
May 30, 2018
-2K18 is easily the worse game in the Switch library
-They ain't even gonna bother trying with 2K19
-The director of FPWW says he needs to convince his bosses to port to Switch
-Hell we don't even have NEO GEO 3 Count Bout yet.

Why is getting a halfway decent wrestling game on Switch such an ordeal?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It should skip all consoles to be honest. Take a break, hire a new competent team of developers, dump that buggy, shitty 18 year old engine, and release a game that's good and not riddled with glitches.
They'll never do this because people keep buying them despite the games being bug-filled, broken messes. It's been this way for what, nearly 15 years now? If change was going to happen it would've happened already.
Why is getting a halfway decent wrestling game on Switch such an ordeal?
fixed

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Should skip all of the platforms for the sufficient amount of years necessary to rebuild these games out of their middling rut and also bring back the story creation in a big way. Or is it back yet? I don't pay attention to this stuff at all.
I basically just osmosis the annual "WWE 2K is kinda cruddy again like always." parade. Hopefully one year that parade will get canceled and maybe I'll buy one of these again for the first time in 6+ years.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WWE 2K continues to be painfully bad for a good decade now

I wish EA grabbed the rights, they would've dropped Yukes, the worst developers in history

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
They should just make a Switch exclusive WWE game like they did with Day of Reckoning/Wrestlemania games for the Gamecube back in the day.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
These franchise license holders have figured out that their audience will buy anything with their sport of choice slapped on the cover, so it's minimum effort with maximum focus on exploitation from here on out. Their 2k18 releases were probably their feeler titles, and it probably wasn't worth their time on for WWE.