• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
And then after the Secret Wars event Cyclops was presumed killed in action with tons of veiled comments about "what he did" and in some cases explicit comparisons to Hitler. See Black Bolt of the Inhumans unleashed the Terrigan Mist onto the world (without anyone's knowledge or consent) which turned out to be sterilizing and fatally poisonous to Mutants, and Cyclops wasn't having any of that shit. He marched on the Inhumans but was poisoned and killed by the Mists and Emma Frost created a psychic vision convincing everyone that Cyclops was killed by Black Bolt.

So now he's back and we don't know why.

Wait.....that's the main reason people are pissed at cyclops? Because of the (mistaken?) inference that he was responsible for unleashing the M-pox, and thus the Hitler/gas comparisons?

Or is there more to the Dark phoenix egg story besides (kinda-sorta) breaking Scott and Emma up, and Scott/Captain America being unable to have a civil conversation?

Something seems...very off, otherwise, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask, but this thread definitely got my attention.

I recently decided to sign up for Marvel Unlimited. I know it doesn't have the recent stuff, but could anyone point me to which series or events on there that would help me get my feet wet with some of the stories you all are talking about?

Honestly, everything modern X-Men kicked off around the event House of M. That pushed the X-Men into super defense mode and upended the status quo held for decades. They still haven't really worked back to a good place since then.

More recent would be to start with the arrival of the time displaced X-Men just because you can be just as confused as they are. Try All-New X-Men #1 from 2012 and going from there to see if you're interested in how modern day X-Men feels.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask, but this thread definitely got my attention.

I recently decided to sign up for Marvel Unlimited. I know it doesn't have the recent stuff, but could anyone point me to which series or events on there that would help me get my feet wet with some of the stories you all are talking about?

Team Goldballs was Uncanny Xmen volume 3, #1 in 2012.

Follows up on the events of Avengers v. Xmen so you may want to read that first to understand the context.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.....that's the main reason people are pissed at cyclops? Because of the (mistaken?) inference that he was responsible for unleashing the M-pox, and thus the Hitler/gas comparisons?

Or is there more to the Dark phoenix egg story besides (kinda-sorta) breaking Scott and Emma up, and Scott/Captain America being unable to have a civil conversation?

I think they were originally trying to make it look like cyclops was trying to irradicate the inhumans, but uh, they really failed at doing that.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

People are pissed at cyclops because he killed professor X during AvX. He was sentenced to prison for that, broke out, and ended up on everyone's shit list.

This is where the Cyclops as terrorist/revolutionary stuff got started.

After secret wars Cyclops was implied to have committed some fairly serious atrocities in response to the mutant killing clouds unleashed by the inhumans, but editorial wisely backed off this one.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
People are pissed at cyclops because he killed professor X during AvX. He was sentenced to prison for that, broke out, and ended up on everyone's shit list.

This is where the Cyclops as terrorist/revolutionary stuff got started.

After secret wars Cyclops was implied to have committed some fairly serious atrocities in response to the mutant killing clouds unleashed by the inhumans, but editorial wisely backed off this one.

AvX is the breaking point but Scott was getting too big for his britches before that when they had the island in SF.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
AvX is the breaking point but Scott was getting too big for his britches before that when they had the island in SF.

Don't disagree. But AvX was definitely the point where cyclops went from just being an a-hole no one liked to straight up criminal they were trying to jail.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Cyclops rightness was so powerful he ended up doing what Superboy Prime couldn't and defeated editorial to the point they had to kill him.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't disagree. But AvX was definitely the point where cyclops went from just being an a-hole no one liked to straight up criminal they were trying to jail.

I'll never get over the fuckery surrounding them trying to jail cyclops over next to nothing, but constantly forgiving Wanda despite her literally murdering thousands of mutants through M-day and her other multitudes of bullshit.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That's when Cyclops got his britches in the correct size and uttered the most badass line in X-Men history:

why-cyclops-doesnt-have-a-plan-b.jpg

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'll never get over the fuckery surrounding them trying to jail cyclops over next to nothing, but constantly forgiving Wanda despite her literally murdering thousands of mutants through M-day and her other multitudes of bullshit.

Yeah it doesnt make any sense. Jean wiped out a damn planet and everyone got over it.

That being said, the X-books got seriously messed up in the run up to Secret Wars. There were entire plotlines alluded to by other books we never got to see because of it.

The Xmen were supposed to establish their own territory, shielding McCoy from the Avengers and the Phoenix Egg Scott just randomly showed up with during the climax to time runs out would have been explained.

We never saw any of that, unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
Wanda didn't murder mutants. She depowered them. Unless I'm thinking of something else.

Depowering murdered a ton of them. They had a few panels of the carnage. Magma's boyfriend flying through a volcano losing his powers and getting immediately incinerated. Tons of flying mutants falling to their death because they were mid-flight. Bishop talked about a fish dude drowning, etc. There was a lot of devastation.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Depowering murdered a ton of them. They had a few panels of the carnage. Magma's boyfriend flying through a volcano losing their powers and getting immediately incinerated. Tons of flying mutants falling to their death because they were mid-flight. Bishop talked about a fish dude drowning, etc. There was a lot of devastation.

I think Chamber almost died due to that too since his mustang power is the only thing keeping him alive.

Yep:

Bengraven