pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Quirk Works — Mutants and Mutations

I mean mha universe already has wolverine and cyclops anyways

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Why give an explanation to obey the laws of physics when you're just gonna have other people break the laws of physics anyway. Just tell physics to fuck off and be done with it.
Because "you can give physics the whole middle finger" is a qualifier for a class of power in universe. And once you're at that level of power there's a whole bunch of other narrative questions that have to be answered (depending on your particular power) that it's just a lot more convenient to say "Cyclops isn't outputting more energy than he takes in, he's... shooting punches from the punch dimension through his portal eyes."

Breaking physics all willy nilly is the reason Bobby Drake (Iceman) can't die anymore.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
soft-serve-01.jpg

marvel.fandom.com

Soft Serve (Earth-616)

2 appearance(s) of Soft Serve (Earth-616) 1 mention(s) of Soft Serve (Earth-616) 2 image(s) of Soft Serve (Earth-616) Soft Serve at the Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Xmen I guess, shit can weird in Western Comics.

Now this is just stupid. Why does every goddamn power have to have some hidden connection to some other dimension or be some abstract manifestation of something like speed or color.

Does Spiderman have access to the "Spider Dimension" where he gets his powers from.

That whole Summers corner of the X-Men is one big OP game of one-upmanship though. Its like so many mutant/clone storylines there so whenever you gotta roll out a new plotline involving one everyone else around gotta level up around them. My favorite is the classic of Cable: he's one of the most powerful mutants ever but has to extend all his powers keeping a disease at bay so its just big guns rawrrr, lol

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Because "you can give physics the whole middle finger" is a qualifier for a class of power in universe. And once you're at that level of power there's a whole bunch of other narrative questions that have to be answered (depending on your particular power) that it's just a lot more convenient to say "Cyclops isn't outputting more energy than he takes in, he's... shooting punches from the punch dimension through his portal eyes."

Breaking physics all willy nilly is the reason Bobby Drake (Iceman) can't die anymore.
I still think its dumb

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Why give an explanation to obey the laws of physics when you're just gonna have other people break the laws of physics anyway. Just tell physics to fuck off and be done with it.
Because when a character has been around for sixty years and under the control of dozens of different people, at some point someone wanted to go there. They wanted to dig into the science behind the punch dimension, or they wanted to tap into the mysticism of Spider Totems.

Manga's strength is that, for the most part, it's guided by a single author with a vision. It's why manga can (in theory; lol Dragon Ball) tell a complete story and come to an end.

Western cape comics' strength, by contrast, is that it's a neverending frankenstein of different cooks throwing stuff into the pot. Sometimes the stew comes out off, but don't worry: it'll be something new next season. And if fans didn't like what happened, there's no need to dwell on it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Are you really asking us to compare a nearly 60 year old franchise to an 8 year old one in terms of unique powers?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
X-Men has been around for about 6 decades and had hundreds, if not thousands, of comics dedicated to the story of these characters. With new mutants popping up all the time. This is without getting into Alternate Universe stories or mutant appearances in other non-X titles.

May 10, 2018
X-Men. Been around too long.

Because of this thread I googled some weird X-Men abilities and saw a guy who has a star for a brain and then his twin who's brain is a black hole.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Xmen I guess, shit can weird in Western Comics.

Now this is just stupid. Why does every goddamn power have to have some hidden connection to some other dimension or be some abstract manifestation of something like speed or color.

Does Spiderman have access to the "Spider Dimension" where he gets his powers from.

It's an eighties "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe" explanation, which used a lot of complex multiverse psuedoscience to try and make different characters powers seem "scientific." Colossus, for example, exchanges every carbon atom in his body for an ionic osmium atom from another dimension.

Before that, the explanation for Cyclops's power was the much simpler "he's constantly absorbing sunlight which his body converts to eye beams."

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
X-Men, not even a contest.

But tbf with MHA, as everyone has pointed out, X-Men has had a shit-ton of writers coming up with ideas/stories for over 50+ years. MHA has only had one mangaka doing his thing for about a decade.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
X-Men - X-Men has a dude w/ a sentient digestive system, 2 maggots, that can devour anything. lol

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
If we compare it to mainstream X-Men exposure (basically the movies) then i would say i find MHA more varied. Obviously if we dig into the comics then we can find all kinds of powers in the X-Men continuity. However, MHA suffers from something i see in virtually any anime/manga where people have singular superpowers(like for example, bungou stray dogs): everyone seems to have super strength and durability as a baseline, even if their powers have nothing to do with it. This seems to be less common in western comics, unless were talking about "peak-human" characters that usually pull all kinds of absurd feats.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
MHA does have a lot of weird characters in it (manga head guy is really wtf), but they're usually completely secondary/tertiary characters.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's X-Men by sheer virtue of how ongoing it's been.

That being said, MHA does have some creative abilities that gets relegated to the sideshows (Manga Fukidashi's onomatopoeia quirk comes to mind) and also some really fucking stupid ones. Anime viewers still haven't gotten to it yet but I'd really like to know how and whether X-Men has done a character similar in a stupidly convoluted powerset to Star & Stripe.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It's X-Men by sheer virtue of how ongoing it's been.

That being said, MHA does have some creative abilities that gets relegated to the sideshows (Manga Fukidashi's onomatopoeia quirk comes to mind) and also some really fucking stupid ones. Anime viewers still haven't gotten to it yet but I'd really like to know how and whether X-Men has done a character similar in a stupidly convoluted powerset to Star & Stripe.
As ludicrously powerful? Easily and absolutely. As bizarrely narrow and specific? Certainly. Both at the same time? Maybe not, actually.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The thing with New Order is that it had a weird limitation while also being ridiculously powerful.

Isca's power will do however much of whatever it has to do to get her the W. Whether she likes it or not.
I like that even her teammates try to get Isca off the board because who knows what the fuck her power will do

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
If anyone says MHA, they have to be kidding. With countless mutants across tons of series going back to the 60s with an issue count in multiple thousands, MHA cannot even come close to competing. Just look at how many X-Men comics there have been.

Anyway, just google "weird" or "unique" mutant powers or look through lists like this:
www.quora.com

Which is the weirdest mutant power ever shown in x-men comics?

Answer (1 of 2): Weirdest right? I guess, the following are some of them: 1. Eye-Scream Eye-Scream's only mutant power is an ability to transform himself into any ice cream flavor. So, weird right? This mutant has appeared only once in X-Men comic book in 1983. 2. Ugly John Well, its quite...

I would say X-Men beats any other superhero/superpowered franchise for unique powers just due to the sheer number of mutants. The only thing that might compare would be JoJo, I think.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with New Order is that it had a weird limitation while also being ridiculously powerful.

Isca's power will do however much of whatever it has to do to get her the W. Whether she likes it or not.

"Ridiculously powerful but with a weird limitation" describes Moira McTaggert pretty well.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
X-Men for sure, given how long the X-comics have been around and how many mutants there are that have been featured in the X-books. But MHA does surprise me with some powers that are so unique and haven't been already used by Marvel. Horikoshi had to have brainstormed for quite a while to come up with a few things that haven't really been done before.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men for sure, given how long the X-comics have been around and how many mutants there are that have been featured in the X-books. But MHA does surprise me with some powers that are so unique and haven't been already used by Marvel. Horikoshi had to have brainstormed for quite a while to come up with a few things that haven't really been done before.
What power haven't appeared in comics?

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
MHA has some exceptionally stupid powers, so I'd be surprised if X-Men had powers even more out there. More of a race to the bottom than anything, in my opinion.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men have been around for a whole lot longer, so they generally have a whole lot of characters to work with. A good chunk of them has fairly mundane or standard powers, but there's plenty with really strange or creative mutations.

MHA's general power scale is a lot lower, and there are several interesting powers that I think would generally get overlooked in a X-Book because of how unassuming or low powered they are, like shooting tape out your elbows or headphone jacks for earlobes, but the series makes it work. The lack of overall power makes it so that some abilities don't show up or are much more limited though. Like there are tons and tons of psychics in X-Men, and only a small handful in MHA with a bunch of restrictions to their powers.

So I'd say X-men probably have more powers overall, but MHA still has fresh takes due to it being restricted in a way.
The tape and earphone jacks aren't really that unique beyond the specific flavor since generating sound waves isn't that uncommon and the tape is basically just a worse version of Spiderman's webs which is such an iconic power you'll find tons of copies. There's only a very small amount of really weird powers in MHA if we're being honest. I can name a bunch of manga with more diverse and interesting power systems than MHA, but I think this is also in part because MHA exists to be an homage to comics in many ways and thus wants to focus first and foremost on getting a bunch of the more "iconic" power types shown off, so it's aping off existing material and icons intentionally a part of it's aesthetics

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Isca's power is pretty much one note
latest

Darwin meets Domino ? I like it

...is Nico Minoru a mutant ? xD
I always loved her "she can cast any spell, but can only cast the specific spell ONCE." Like if she want money she can't ever repeat the same amount
I think she just have magical powers =/

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
What power haven't appeared in comics?
I saw that you were the person who replied and immediately became panicked and drew a blank. I'm gonna have to think hard before answering because I know whatever I post, the person with the encyclopedia-like knowledge of comics is gonna be like "Nah, here's just the first three which come to mind that already do that," lol.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in terms of shonen powerup asspulls...

Iceman was originally a kid who created ice/snow, and he was immune to cold, and he created slides made of ice so he could skate around on them at relatively high speeds, and he threw snowballs with ice chunks in them at the bad guys, and he disguised himself by covering himself in snow so he looked like a living bipedal snowman.

Then they upgraded his "covered in snow" disguise to "he can literally transform himself into a clear, human-shaped block of living ice".

And then "He's an Omega Level Mutant now" which means that he can create ice walls that are dense enough to stop The Incredible Hulk, and he can instantly drop the temperature around him to absolute zero (colder than outer space), which means that he can tank a nuclear bomb, because he can instantly freeze and stop the atoms inside an active nuclear explosion (which he's fast enough to react to), and he doesn't really even need to do that (not for himself at least), because if he's damaged/injured (or completely destroyed), he can regrow himself by growing more ice, and he can't die so long as water exists for him to regrow in (and maybe beyond that, so long as water comes back into existence).

And he's just one of the Mutants who have been classified as Omega Level, due to power creep.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Basically someone realized two things about Bobby:

1. He's turning his body into Ice

2. He's creating cold.

So now he can't die and he literally froze hell that one time.