--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
rxkjHsV.png

View: https://twitter.com/ethangach/status/1688888019141500929

As the tweet says, this happened at some moment last week.

Copilot

Jun 27, 2023
This, GamePass and Series X price increase, U$349,90 Xbox Series S Carbon Black. They really want to improve profitability of the Xbox division or, at least, stop to lose money.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This, GamePass and Series X price increase, U$349,90 Xbox Series S Carbon Black. They really want to improve profitability of the Xbox division or, at least, stop to lose money.
This one is a smart move. The price increases and releasing a 350 dollar S is...not. They need to go the other way.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
This is to fit in with the new gamepass regulations passed by congress in an effort to make it legal

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was bound to happen, but if they are going to do it; this is a great time for it with Starfield around the corner.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
This one is a smart move. The price increases and releasing a 350 dollar S is...not. They need to go the other way.

Agreed on those counts. It seems like overall they're thinking "we've got our content pipeline sorted, no need to try and pull people into the ecosystem so aggressively. Notice how they've been slashing the rewards for MS rewards as well...

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Bugger. Was gonna use that month for Persona 3 next year. Guess we'll see if it can be done in two weeks.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
We are getting past that honeymoon phase that all subscription services go through. Still a great value though

It's been a very long honeymoon. Most entrants to the video subscription marketplace do a short trial or maybe a small discount. Microsoft have gone way, way beyond for many years. It will be interesting to see how it affects subscription numbers/growth.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
The offer is gonna continue to change over time probably. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back up to 1 month in early 2024 or when there may be a lull in games

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
We are getting past that honeymoon phase that all subscription services go through. Still a great value though.
Yah the deal has been so incredibly generous for so long that while even with the price hike and conversion trick getting nerfed, it's still great value but the perception is that "the party is over" all of a sudden

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This is 100% because of Starfield, lol.
Yeah, you could buy a month for $1, the digital deluxe upgrade for $27 or whatever, and have almost a week of access to the game before the official date. It's no coincidence that they stopped this just before or around August 1. Though you can do the same thing later, but the point being you only have 14 days now in total

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
They really want to improve profitability of the Xbox division
I'm pretty sure the Xbox division is already profitable. Phil Spencer said during the FTC trial that he is required by MS leadership to run a profitable business.

Edit: Nevermind, you said "improve". My bad. Still, point stands.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This deal gets worse all the time.gif

In all seriousness though I don't blame them.
lol

Guess it begins. Soon, there won't even be any trial period at all like Netflix.

Begins? For me it started when they changed the Gold to Game Pass conversion, then almost immediately after that got rid of Gold for Game Pass Core.

Actually...it started when they quietly got rid of annual subs for Gold thru the console and their website. I guess annual subs are now available for Core? I don't even know anymore.

Along the same lines the MS Rewards program has been somewhat nerfed in recent weeks (not dramatically, but noticeably).

All part of the plan.gif

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean as long as it works for the conversion I don't really see a problem with this. It's now more in line with other trials and I highly doubt there was a significant group of people who will actually be impacted by this

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Console war trolling
i rather keep my dollar then
they finally have a game in 3 years and they pullin this stunt smh

Oct 25, 2017
What revisionist history. That sustainability argument had to do with gamepass sticking around for the long run. Eventual price increases was pretty much a given.

That's definitely not revisionist IMO, from what I remember it was people not believing it was profitable at the low cost and $1 conversions and would eventually need to increase in price. There was a lot of resistance to the idea they would need to while the sub was still growing.