• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The segment about The Initiative starts at 1:45:45.
https://soundcloud.com/thexboxera/episode-40-cash-cache-cache
Small transcript, I recommend hearing the whole segment.
All those episodes of Black Mirror are linked to each other, they take place within the same universe. When I talked about The Initiative's game, I'm not saying it's exactly like Black Mirror, but it has that Black Mirror-like aspect to it.
...I know the word episodic has been thrown around

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That could be really interesting.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
episodic? ehhhhhhhhhhhh

sounds like Supermassive anthology series.

edit: read it wrong. it can still be perfect dark, wonder if we'll get a playable elvis level

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Well, obviously since it will be on Gamepass and episodic content keeps the sub numbers up. I guess most of MS content will have a long-term "engagement", be it Battle Passes, Huge content patches over long time (both seen in Sea of Thieves) or Episodic format.
There will be the "full" SP game here an there, but most will be in a "long term" format.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
So something in the vein of The Dark Pictures Anthology?

Honestly, making smaller games using the same base engine and assets is pretty smart. Seriously reduces the need for crunch.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
we don't know anything about the game yet, but I see some people are already canceling their pre orders..

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Thread has been open 2 minutes and already it's:

19e22c21db84cfc80fdb4621b2e5e7f5.jpg

Personally, as I have watched Black Mirror and get what they're on about, I think it sounds cool and can't wait to see what they come up with!

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Many TV shows are episodic, but if the game is black mirror-like, i see that as a game with different MC and take in different place more than just episodic.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I'd actually be cool with episodic formats if it's an anthology or semi-anthology. If this is indeed a Perfect Dark game I could imagine a sort of X-Files/Fringe monster-of-the-week style format where they release levels episodically that pertain to a specific threat to the Carrington Institute.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds fucking awesome to me. And it'd allow them to get their first piece of content out the door more quickly.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
One game telling a a few connected stories. Hhhmmm....be pretty damn awesome if it's one character experiencing different ish.

Make that ssd shine with the instant world switching.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ummm... please no, just give us a great game upfront. Unless by episodic they mean all these episodes are interconnected to a deeper level than in Black Mirror.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Sounds pretty interesting, definitely rests on how it is executed though

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Episodic games make a loooooot of sense with Game Pass.
I could see Microsoft scooping up DONTNOD and ioi in the next few years.

Sep 7, 2020
I have to see what the game is first before I make any judgements. Could be cool but could be too big of a scope bringing it down. Not going to overreact yet.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Episodic doesn't necessarily mean it's releasing in chunks. Alan Wake and Quantum Break were technically episodic

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
So, without having played any The Dark Pictures Anthology games, it sounds like The Dark Pictures Anthology games.

Which is not that exciting.

I don't believe any of that.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
It was great playing each tell me why episodes once a week. Hopefully that's the way the episodes are delivered.

Please be a new IP, there's too much talent there to be shackled by a legacy IP.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Well, obviously since it will be on Gamepass and episodic content keeps the sub numbers up. I guess most of MS content will have a long-term "engagement", be it Battle Passes, Huge content patches over long time (both seen in Sea of Thieves) or Episodic format.
There will be the "full" SP game here an there, but most will be in a "long term" format.

I would say long term formats in the form of single games with battle passes is antithetical to the needs of a subscription service. You don't want a person hooked on a single game that can be purchased separately from the subscription and the person be just fine by dropping the sub. Phil has even stated as such. That is why you see things like Halo Infinite mp being free and not be a part of the sub. However, episodic content does lend itself well to the service.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, it would be a major bummer if true.

Is that source reliable? Didn't Zhuge call them out a few times already?

Status
Not open for further replies.