• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't tried Phoenix Point before or played it on release, I'd give this game another shot if you're a fan of XCOM-like. The game has been updated several times since it launched on Game Pass with at times significant gameplay changes and the latest 4.5 GB update called Arkham just hit yesterday. I think the game was in a good state even before yesterday's update and I'm actually thinking about picking up the Year One Edition once it hits Steam.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
The lack of AAA games is def due to the combination of a console launch year and the pandemic. I mean, just look at the actual list of games released since March. There are SO few AAA games. Game Pass has made it's rep by adding first party day 1, and a lot of third party AAA games that were like 4-6 months old... And those games just aren't out there to be signed up this year.

EA's paltry output this gen has a lot to do with Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem. Really feels like those two failures ate up a lot of their resources and time outside of sports games, Star Wars, and online shooters.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't tried Phoenix Point before or played it on release, I'd give this game another shot if you're a fan of XCOM-like. The game has been updated several times since it launched on Game Pass with at times significant gameplay changes and the latest 4.5 GB update called Arkham just hit yesterday. I think the game was in a good state even before yesterday's update and I'm actually thinking about picking up the Year One Edition once it hits Steam.

Thanks for the heads up - I was really interested in it at launch but got put off by some of the feedback. I need to get back into Gears tactics but might try this alongside it to compare and contrast.

The lack of AAA games is def due to the combination of a console launch year and the pandemic. I mean, just look at the actual list of games released since March. There are SO few AAA games. Game Pass has made it's rep by adding first party day 1, and a lot of third party AAA games that were like 4-6 months old... And those games just aren't out there to be signed up this year.

EA's paltry output this gen has a lot to do with Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem. Really feels like those two failures ate up a lot of their resources and time outside of sports games, Star Wars, and online shooters.

Yeah given the very nature of games (giant complicated system of code, big assets and files, especially source art, hardware logistics needed to run code and proto-type, QA etc) I can easily imagine them being one of the worst things to try and WFH.

Hoping everyone is as a safe as possible and looking forwards to a stacked 2021.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Does Knights and Bikes pick up? It's so damn slow in the beginning. Just don't have patience for these small indie titles to plod around.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Finished Supraland, great metroidvania that had a constant sense of progression. Some of the puzzles at the end got a bit obtuse, but overall, I very much enjoyed it. Debating whether to go back through and make some progress toward the 100%. Probably not right away. I remember some people talking about its story being good? Maybe I made it up because its narrative is nothing to write home about lol. They literally send you to get "MacGuffin"s haha. Still, it's satisfying to play and I sunk quite a few hours into just exploring every nook and cranny - and STILL missing a ton of secrets.

The physics are a bit wonky, but that's maybe to be expected with a team primarily of one person (including contributing to the pretty good end credits song haha).

I have PP downloaded to my laptop, which struggles to run it. It has always looked intriguing, but I probably won't get back into it unless it comes to consoles

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Well sure. When it launches on console. I've been waiting quite a bit for this, seeing as Xcom 2 hasn't even been announced for game pass. But iirc this was for console as well as pc, so... I'm still waiting. Is there any news on that?

Yay, I've been waiting for this a long time too. Kinda expected too. But actually, now I'm not really sure I would want to play that in the state it is on current consoles... so I'm fucking torn on playing now on 1X or waiting (months?) until I get a series x. Well, shit. lol

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fallen Order is well and good, but fucking DEEP ROCK GALACTIC is now available!

kannaTw.jpg

Might be my GOTY.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
huh... just aded a 3-month ultimate code and it said I would get 1 free month if I activated the auto renewal (I can still cancel before it auto renews) so thanks for the free month I guess?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this earlier today and got through the tutorial - it's interesting! Who is the best character to play solo?

People love engineer because of turrets and mobility, but I think the gunner has good survivability given his weapons. Driller is also esp helpful as a beginner, where it may sometimes be hard to get back to the drop ship (I was left behind frequently when I started).

Scout is great for a fast play style and you are the most mobile, but your weapons leave you feeling a little vulnerable.

I highly recommend you play with others. It's a good community plus the game was meant to be played with others. A lot of the classes are complementary to each other.

The game also gets better as it gets harder, because new abilities alter how you play AND the procgen makes more interesting levels as you increase difficulty.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
People love engineer because of turrets and mobility, but I think the gunner has good survivability given his weapons. Driller is also esp helpful as a beginner, where it may sometimes be hard to get back to the drop ship (I was left behind frequently when I started).

Scout is great for a fast play style and you are the most mobile, but your weapons leave you feeling a little vulnerable.

I highly recommend you play with others. It's a good community plus the game was meant to be played with others. A lot of the classes are complementary to each other.

The game also gets better as it gets harder, because new abilities alter how you play AND the procgen makes more interesting levels as you increase difficulty.
Super helpful to know. I'll give coop a shot.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Damn somehow missed that eastshade is on there now. I was thinking about buying it for the longest time on pc. Now it's going to be the farewell game for my one x :)

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks! Good to see that some older games like Mirror's Edge, the Dead Space trilogy, and Black are there.
some of them are also optimized for One X. Black for example

Kaufen BLACKā„¢ | Xbox

An Xbox 360 hard drive is required to use this item Spieler: 1, 5.1-Surround-Sound. HINWEIS ZUM SPIEL: Dieses Spiel wurde in Hinblick auf seine Funktion auf Ihrer Xbox 360 umfassend getestet. In einigen FƤllen kƶnnten jedoch fĆ¼r kĆ¼rzere Zeit kleinere UnregelmƤƟigkeiten bei Bild und Ton...

I think you can filter it accordingly on Xbox, don't know how to do it on the xbox website though

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Do we expect the upgrade for 1 dollars (or 15 dollars if youve done it before) to go away once the Series X is released? Trying to find a place to get some 12 month cards but i wont get them til maybe nov 10 or later...

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we expect the upgrade for 1 dollars (or 15 dollars if youve done it before) to go away once the Series X is released? Trying to find a place to get some 12 month cards but i wont get them til maybe nov 10 or later...

Why not just order them digitally? I don't even have my Xbox yet and I already paid for three years of Game Pass Ultimate thanks to upgrade. I redeemed them on the website just fine.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
So.... trying out the DQ11s demo. I'm trying to like it, but there are some dated design decisions, huh? Anyone else on the same page, or am I dirty heathen that isn't putting in enough effort?

Do we have a Xbox cloud-gaming thread?
They recently added touch controls for some games and... its weird?
How so? And yes, kind of.

Overall thread:
(1) More than 150 games will be available on Android devices when cloud gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [UP: Launched!] News | ResetEra

Specific news about touch controls:
(1) 10 more Game Pass Ultimate titles receive touch controls for cloud gaming | ResetEra

I might be too dumb for Carto, I'm already stuck on chapter 2 lol
lol.. yea.. I ended up using a guide. The thing is that a lot of the puzzles were completely obtuse until they clicked early on (and it was my fault, so it was pretty rewarding!). But by the end of the game, I was happy to get some help every once in a while because yes, I was too dumb haha. What part are you stuck in, perhaps a hint could be provided?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
beat CH2 now, I have to get used to the whole "you can make land appear magically by doing other things" mechanic which they don't really explain.

Cute game.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I might be too dumb for Carto, I'm already stuck on chapter 2 lol
Some of the stuff isn't that obvious imo. I think at one point the sheep was being erratic and you have to interact with it to get a map piece but it's really easy to miss. I probably spent 10 min rearranging tiles and walking around trying to figure out what to do lol

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Was stoked to see Knights & Bikes on PC but when I go to play it with my controller it won't let me?
Seems I can log in as player 2 with a controller but the game is forcing P1 to play with keyboard.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
After the conversation about touch controls through cloud gaming, I used them for the first time with Slay The Spire. A little weird, because I keep wanting to tap the cards haha. But I got used to it after about 10 minutes. It was great! Didn't need to attach a controller and I could keep my phone charged while I played. I enjoyed the experience overall.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is Destiny 2 up to date expansions wise on Gamepass?

It sounds like it is.

www.windowscentral.com

Destiny 2: Forsaken and Shadowkeep are now available through Xbox Game Pass

Play Destiny 2 and hundreds of other games with one monthly cost.

• In a big move, Destiny 2 and both of its current expansions, Forsaken and Shadowkeep, are coming to Xbox Game Pass.
  • The next expansion, Beyond Light, will also come to Xbox Game Pass day one on November 10, 2020.

So good news for you. šŸ˜Š

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
is Destiny 2 up to date expansions wise on Gamepass?
And worth noting that next gen patch won't be inbound until December, I think. But, should still be a good time.

Is it wrong that I care more about the Game Pass launch lineup than I do about the console launch lineup? XD I don't wanna spend any more money than I already have hahaha. And from that metric, Game Pass is doing some serious work come November 10.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Destiny 2 was always going to be a SX thing if I even play it, I just wanted to know if it had all the expansions.

Right now I'm basically to get the last out of my 1X, but only specifically looking for:

A) 2d things that won't really get a benefit from the SX, I'm saving anything 3d for the SX heh
B) short games that I can get done in the next couple of days before the SX

Just finished Carto which I really liked, downloaded Carrion, Ikenfell, Knights and Bikes, Touhou Luna Nights, and also a couple of roguelikes in Undermine and Scourge Bringer. To be fair most of these are just to try, as I have an issue with pixel 2d art on big screens, especially lower quality pixel art, I just prefer to play those on the Switch portable.

Case in point, I booted up Ikenfell and I pretty much imediatly uninstalled it, nothing against the game itself, but the old style of graphics only works for me on a small screen these days. I'm pretty sure Luna Nights will be the same, Carrion and Knights and Bikes should be fine.

On the roguelikes front I had a question because I either forgot or just flat out don't know... does the XBOX have cloud saves? Because I don't want to start a roguelike, get super into it, but then have to restart it on the SX.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Carto which I really liked, downloaded Carrion, Ikenfell, Knights and Bikes, Touhou Luna Nights, and also a couple of roguelikes in Undermine and Scourge Bringer. To be fair most of these are just to try, as I have an issue with pixel 2d art on big screens, especially lower quality pixel art, I just prefer to play those on the Switch portable.

Quick opinions: I really liked Carrion, but I understand it isn't for everyone. Here's the thing, there's no map. Some people instantly got triggered by that fact and let it hang over them, but the game is fairly straightforward. The game will guide you where you need to go, just pay attention to the signs and lights. I believe it's a 4-5 hr game, so it won't overstay its welcome.

Ikenfell: I've played quite a bit of this, but I kinda dropped it and haven't been back. Mother 3 was obv. a big influence on the game, but it's missing something to me. It's good/okay, but not great.

Touhou Luna Nights: This is great. It's an action metroidvania that takes some elements from touhou shmups. You can dodge enemies/projectiles and gain health. Stop time and gain meter for your special attacks. I think the boss fights shine here, so if you're into that sort of thing def give it a shot.

graiz.png

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
With my Xbox out for repair: how long does it take to get into Crusader Kings 3, and more importantly, is it worth it? My work laptop runs the game good enough and I need something to play šŸ˜Š

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
With my Xbox out for repair: how long does it take to get into Crusader Kings 3, and more importantly, is it worth it? My work laptop runs the game good enough and I need something to play šŸ˜Š
If you get into it, you may not get out, fair warning.

It takes a while but if you take a bit to understand how everything is interconnected, and is very fun once you get into it.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, there's a good chance Phoenix Point is going to leave Game Pass some time in December, most likely the end.
OK cool, going to ha e to figure out how to prioritise it. Massive thanks for the heads up, appreciate it!
Quick opinions: I really liked Carrion, but I understand it isn't for everyone. Here's the thing, there's no map. Some people instantly got triggered by that fact and let it hang over them, but the game is fairly straightforward. The game will guide you where you need to go, just pay attention to the signs and lights. I believe it's a 4-5 hr game, so it won't overstay its welcome.

I got lucky with that game I think. I normally move around every area by the edges, figuring out what the play space is and then diving in to do whatever it is. So I like to know where I am at all times and rely on maps quite a bit. With that hmgame I just thought "I'm the monster, I'm just going to charge forwards" and that worked out pretty well.

I think there's a point about half way to two thirds where you have a few options on ways to go and so can go back and forth a few times. Generally the game is actually pretty linear. Just charge around killing stuff, accept you might backtrack a couple of times by mistake, and you'll be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.