Status
Not open for further replies.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just cannot get into Deathloop. Maybe I'll try it again later but for some reason I just can't find a way in. It just seems so cumbersome with its setup and endless menus and tutorials but skips over the 'why should I give a fuck what happens to this guy' motivation. Like, I know the character wants to stop the loop but I just completely missed why I should care about it and why I should keep running through the same day again and again. It's really not clicking for me.

It's such a unique concept that it does need a lot of tutorials at the start, and even then it probably takes 2/3 hours before it clicks and you understand the gameplay loop

I'm really enjoying it now but I can see why people dislike the start

That said, it's hard to see how they could have dialled back the tutorials without causing confusion / frustration

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Forgotten City is short. Plague Tail will be there for ages. Do the right thing!
I got sucked into it last night and really enjoying it. Am in the "mid game" I'd say and I think the size and pacing really help because there's stuff to do and discover but then you don't feel like you have to slog through it.

One slight early game mechanics surprise:-

I think I went through 4 or 5 loops before I realised that you keep your inventory between runs! I had been exploring just looking for coins everywhere because I assumed you had to work out a "run" to be able to quickly collect 1k money to buy the antidote....turns out I already had 1,500 AND the antidote in my inventory already! Makes it much nicer to keep cranking through loops 👍

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Is Forgotten City hard? I'm not worried about puzzles or exploration or anything, but I have such little patience for combat that if I hit the slightest bit of difficulty I'm likely to quit. I do want to give it a go though, based on all the people here saying that everyone really should

Oct 27, 2017
Is Forgotten City hard? I'm not worried about puzzles or exploration or anything, but I have such little patience for combat that if I hit the slightest bit of difficulty I'm likely to quit. I do want to give it a go though, based on all the people here saying that everyone really should
No it's by no means a difficult game. I don't actually recall there being any real combat

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Not hard combatwise, but if you try to push through it fast you might have problems (missing consent), I would treat it as a vacation in a place you have never visited before

Bodhi

Oct 5, 2022
I just cancelled recurring billing as this year has been quite disappointing to me. Most of the year I played FH5 (which satiated me first half of the year), Multiversus (F2P) and 3rd party games.

Not enough Day 1 games that appealed to me, and I'm not that interested in late ports as others are calling for them (on topic of JRPGs). If I wanted to play them, I would've found a way already. Persona 5 Royal is a bit different product than the base game, so I will give it a shot this month and see if it hooks me but I wasn't a fan of the base game. For example, I would have preferred if Xbox tasked Atlus to make a spinoff JRPG similar to Soul Hackers 2. Lots of people ask how would an Atlus JRPG look if the cast was young adults, why not go for an original take like that? And differentiate yourself from the competition.

Couple of takeaways after almost 2 years of GP:

-It's almost certainly worth it the first year. Catalog is almost too big, so it's a great way to explore big titles, and try new games/genres.

-Don't get GP for long running franchises. I purchased Yakuza Kiwami 2 because the series was taken away from the service (for 3 months?) while I was in the middle of the game. Also bye bye Kingdom Hearts. Don't get baited into these unless you're a speedrunner.

-Don't subscribe for future prospects because of delays. This one hurts because of Starfield... :(

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I just cancelled recurring billing as this year has been quite disappointing to me. Most of the year I played FH5 (which satiated me first half of the year), Multiversus (F2P) and 3rd party games.

Not enough Day 1 games that appealed to me, and I'm not that interested in late ports as others are calling for them (on topic of JRPGs). If I wanted to play them, I would've found a way already. Persona 5 Royal is a bit different product than the base game, so I will give it a shot this month and see if it hooks me but I wasn't a fan of the base game. For example, I would have preferred if Xbox tasked Atlus to make a spinoff JRPG similar to Soul Hackers 2. Lots of people ask how would an Atlus JRPG look if the cast was young adults, why not go for an original take like that? And differentiate yourself from the competition.

-It's almost certainly worth it the first year. Catalog is almost too big, so it's a great way to explore big titles, and try new games/genres.

-Don't get GP for long running franchises. I purchased Yakuza Kiwami 2 because the series was taken away from the service (for 3 months?) while I was in the middle of the game. Also bye bye Kingdom Hearts. Don't get baited into these unless you're a speedrunner.

-Don't subscribe for future prospects because of delays. This one hurts because of Starfield... :(

Recurring billing? Does that mean you didn't do the Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass conversion? Subsidizing your Game Pass that way makes it a LOT easier to swallow. But if there's nothing that interests you at the moment then it does make sense to take a breather for a bit. Reminder there will (probably) be a 3 months for $1 Game Pass Ultimate promotion coming up this holiday in case you wanted to jump back in.

See second post here for more details on the Gold to GPU conversion. https://www.resetera.com/threads/do...ade-to-gamepass-still-work-update-yes.292523/

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Not hard combatwise, but if you try to push through it fast you might have problems (missing consent), I would treat it as a vacation in a place you have never visited before
I don't plan to rush or anything so it should be fine, sounds like. I really only worry about the combat because I just have zero time for that sort of thing in most games, so hopefully it should be doable

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No it's by no means a difficult game. I don't actually recall there being any real combat
There are a couple sections that I will call "combat sections" that might be a bit challenging or at least tense. But it's not really that type of game, so I hesitate to even really call it "combat", per se.

Yea, if you're doing shorter periods, subscribe only when you want to. The thing is... 2022 is a UNIQUELY bad year for MS 1st party. We are unlikely to see such a barren year again for a while. Even so, there have been 1st party gems (just not AAA). Aside from that, 3rd party games have really picked up the slack in the last third of the year iMO. I've been pretty happy overall with Game Pass, especially in the last few months and for the rest of the year, from both 3rd and 1st party. Anyway, everyone entitled to an opinion.

To be fair, Kiwami 2 WAS on there for a year and a half before leaving the first time. (And the releases were staggered chronologically with 0 and Kiwami, so you knew it was coming). Then yea, it came back 6 months or so later, and has now been on almost another year and a half. KH yea. But 1 and 2 were both on there for a year each. 3 was on there for 2 years, even (though the timing of those releases... strange). Your point makes sense and is a good reminder. But you don't need to be a SPEEDRUNNER to enjoy them either.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yes, and it's absolutely worth it. Make sure you go in completely blind, such a great game

Just played a lot of it yesterday and i'm having a blast. I think i even reached a possible ending point but i want to see all the leads and stuff.

Thought it would be one of those investigation games that gets the player stuck all the time, but i could play it blind just fine so far haha

Really surprised on how good it is. I think my prejudiced ass wasn't expecting something so great from what was originally a Skyrim mod.

Field

Oct 29, 2017
Thinking of dropping Deathloop. Died a few times to Fias reactor and I'm not sure I'm liking the gameplay enough for a roguelite/loop game. Also finding the characters more annoying than funny with the constant bickering.

On more positive side I ended loving Scorn.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Dyson Sphere Program finally clicked when I said "fuck it" and tried to make things work. The mess will be for future-MMBosstones86 to worry about

Oct 27, 2017
How is dreamlight valley? I love stardew and enjoyed Portia for a bit. Normally I wouldn't be interested due to the Disney IP but it seems the game has a big following, more than I thought it would. How are people enjoying it here and what are you enjoying about it?

valentine71

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Thinking of dropping Deathloop. Died a few times to Fias reactor and I'm not sure I'm liking the gameplay enough for a roguelite/loop game. Also finding the characters more annoying than funny with the constant bickering.

On more positive side I ended loving Scorn.

Did you find out where the plan is to deactivate the reactor? I had problems there as well but it's place is always the same so once you find it, you can easily deactivate reactor and kill enemies while hiding in the crawl space next to it.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
How is dreamlight valley? I love stardew and enjoyed Portia for a bit. Normally I wouldn't be interested due to the Disney IP but it seems the game has a big following, more than I thought it would. How are people enjoying it here and what are you enjoying about it?

Can't speak to that, but Coral Island also dropped on Game Pass.....seems like a stardew similar as well.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Have you checked the OT? Seems people are pretty into the game. I will therefore stay away to preserve my purity.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Figure I ask this question here. I finished Scorn the other night and got all Achievements but when I look at my games list, it shows 11 out of 12 with the GS at 920 instead of the full 1,000. However, if I click on the game to look at it individually, it shows all 12 unlocked. Is this a bug and has anyone else experienced this?

Field

Oct 29, 2017
Did you find out where the plan is to deactivate the reactor? I had problems there as well but it's place is always the same so once you find it, you can easily deactivate reactor and kill enemies while hiding in the crawl space next to it.
First try tonight I manage to sneak in and kill Fia without triggering the reactor. Found the plans afterward and finished the quest.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I loaded up the Xbox PC app to jump back into a Plague Tale: Requiem when I noticed Persona 5 had an update so I go look at the update and it is literally re-downloading the entire game for some unknown reason. I love Game Pass but they still have a ton of work to do on the PC side of it, they have made some improvements but the app is still god awful. If/when the ABK deal goes through maybe they can start integrating with Battle.net or something, pretty much anything would be an improvement.

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone had an issue on pc where some games don't launch and get stuck in the splash with "syncing data" forever? I tried logout, login, and reinstall but same result, any idea?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Figure I ask this question here. I finished Scorn the other night and got all Achievements but when I look at my games list, it shows 11 out of 12 with the GS at 920 instead of the full 1,000. However, if I click on the game to look at it individually, it shows all 12 unlocked. Is this a bug and has anyone else experienced this?

No...? Did you actually do the first achievement puzzle twice or just assumed that you got the number 001 after getting 002 or something like that?
001 and 002 achievements require repeating a puzzle in the beginning section. If you didn't do that, you are missing that one achievement (same as me).

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
A Plague's Tale has a ridiculous photo mode. I even found this Gotham Knights Easter egg!

c5f.gif

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Adding my own views on this. The vast majority of the game is exploring and talking to people. The people and the mysteries to solve are quite intriguing and I suspect that's what everyone loves.

I just started and finished the game over the last few days and loved it too. I'd highly recommend trying it.

If you have literally zero tolerance for combat, then there is some, but you can make do with just "running past" enemies.

I've put a spoiler below which just describes some generic facts on the combat and what it's like mechanically. Nothing about the story or context of what's going on.

there are three areas where combat happens, two are small(ish) and are needed for the story. One is larger and is more like a typical video game level BUT is technically optional. When you get the quest for it the game even warns you with a "if you don't like combat or horror, don't do this quest, it's not necessary".

For the other two areas, one is early game and has one enemy in it. You're expected not to be able to fight/kill it so you just run around avoiding it to see what you can find.

The second is later game and you have maybe 1 or 2 rooms and corridors with a couple of enemies in. I wasn't expecting it and just ran through the area to get what I needed. You exit a different way so you don't need to get back last them.

In the third larger level, IF you decide to do it, there are maybe 5 or 6 rooms where you have to shoot enemies with a bow. 2 shots to anywhere on their body will kill them.

Hope that helps.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I've started The Forgotten City but already getting frustrated by unnecessary shit. When the Golden Rule is broken, why can I not just be sent back to the portal? Why do I have to run back there and maybe I'll die on the way basically at random and then I have to repeat entire conversations again? It seems... pointless? This is the sort of stuff that really turns me off.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
I've started The Forgotten City but already getting frustrated by unnecessary shit. When the Golden Rule is broken, why can I not just be sent back to the portal? Why do I have to run back there and maybe I'll die on the way basically at random and then I have to repeat entire conversations again? It seems... pointless? This is the sort of stuff that really turns me off.
Because the portal does not automatically open once the rule is broken. Something else has to happen before it does. Plus there are achievements and events that are based around that and which wouldn't work if you were just flung back to the beginning of the following loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.