How do you purchase games on Xbox? (Excluding Game Pass)

• Physical

Votes: 108 10.4%
  • Digital

Votes: 757 72.6%
  • Mix of both

Votes: 177 17.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2019
These two things can't both happen. If they mandate cross-platform support, then the PC versions have to be held to the same certification standards that console games have always had. Inversely, no cert means no way to ensure the PC version of a game won't cause issues for Console users. You have to pick one.

I meant cross platform with other PC launchers. A big problem with multiplayer games like Darktide on PC Game Pass is that when it launched the Game Pass players couldn't play with Steam users. It's the same with Palworld. Shouldn't be allowed.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017

This tweet is definitely over the top and looks petty, but first place Playstation isn't going to change their stance on exclusivity because the third place console is starting a long process of folding on it. If in 5 years, Xbox is releasing 4+ games a year that were once "exclusive" and their platform growth skyrockets, Sony is going to make a change. I do think the idea of releasing a few games like this a year as a way to reach more players is a good idea. I also have a hunch that if the sales are good, the suits are going to start pushing for more and more and it may get to a point of hurting console sales. This is a very interesting dance they are starting that is basically antithetical to how this industry has worked since the 80s.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Of course more ms layoffs. This time in blizzard Ireland

pretty sure its part of the original. These are usually a delayed result given international laws.

This just happened to my company. They announced layoffs but they end up not immediately happening outside the US. Not trying to downplay it, but more just saying its prob part of the batch we already knew about

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
Listening to Grubb and Mikes podcast from last night and it's cool to hear them say the same stuff as some of us. I'd like to see MS take a different approach to 'next gen' with a 700/800 dollar top tier (because Sony can't offer that as they need to still sell consoles) and have a handheld model that's cheaper and dockable like the switch for the folks who want a cheaper option. Then MS is offering something that neither PS or Switch can offer. Especially if MS keeps putting more games elsewhere to fund everything.

Hummus

Jan 26, 2018
i have zero clue about the tech and chips behind all of that, but since a couple of people are talking about a handheld or console with xbox AND pc-gaming compatibility: would that even be possible?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
i have zero clue about the tech and chips behind all of that, but since a couple of people are talking about a handheld or console with xbox AND pc-gaming compatibility: would that even be possible?
probably not

-

GGdX00jasAAOr4g

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I do think Microsoft missed a huge opportunity in not announcing Diablo IV being released on Game Pass in a Super Bowl ad. Biggest event of the year, or four days later in a podcast. Tough decision ...

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I do think Microsoft missed a huge opportunity in not announcing Diablo IV being released on Game Pass in a Super Bowl ad. Biggest event of the year, or four days later in a podcast. Tough decision ...
With all due respect to Diablo 4, an already released game coming to a subscription service is probably not big enough to put in a Super Bowl ad. That shit is expensive.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You spend $10m on a Super Bowl add to show off a new and upcoming console. You don't spend it to announce that an already released game is coming to a subscription service (which was inevitable to begin with)

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
My guess: currently using the web browser version of XCloud, you can launch stuff like Sea of Thieves which has a cash shop in-game. If you wish to purchase Ancient Coins, you are able to pull up an embedded web browser to the Microsoft Store and buy those using the Microsoft payment system and it's all "in-house".

With a dedicated app, you cannot do that. You will HAVE to use Apple's payment system which means they get a 30% cut. This means MTX either costs MORE than usual to account for that (ex: a sub costing $13 when it's usually $10 on the website), or MS loses a substantial amount to this. Apple has said they will allow alternative payment methods for IAP after jumping thru hoops .. but it just reduces it to 27%. That's nothing. If anything it makes MS lose more money than just sticking to Apple's system (which is Apple's intention behind that).

So, on top of not being able to effectively monetize in-app with a dedicated cloud streaming app, they probably also have other problems regarding signing up for subs not being as smooth as they'd like, or any plans for running ads before starting a stream, or whatever.
That makes sense, thanks.

I wonder, are purchases unavailable when using local remote play on Xbox. I've been using the Steam Link app on Oculus and it blocks access to the Steam Store so I guess that policy applies to both cloud and remote streaming. Hopefully Apple changes that policy, just gives another reason to get an Android if you care about that feature.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
it funny listening to reactions after the fact and hear most people say that the podcast could have been a write up and i was like no shit but blame the people that got whipped up over xbox leaving the business it definitely wasn't for them who do podcast or review games but for everybody else

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's a shame the Mandalorian game is gonna have the same fate Indiana Jones will get 😔

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
you know i wonder if they are going to do another partner preview like last year? it was successful and was good just had to fix the weird stops and starts

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Listening to Grubb and Mikes podcast from last night and it's cool to hear them say the same stuff as some of us. I'd like to see MS take a different approach to 'next gen' with a 700/800 dollar top tier (because Sony can't offer that as they need to still sell consoles) and have a handheld model that's cheaper and dockable like the switch for the folks who want a cheaper option. Then MS is offering something that neither PS or Switch can offer. Especially if MS keeps putting more games elsewhere to fund everything.
The issue with a high-end console is - who is it for? And won't that just continue the trend of AAA gaming (especially some of their 1st party studios) trying to outdo Sony in the visual department, which might then increase development costs even more?
A handheld makes more sense to me than a more powerful machine that costs even more, when casual gamers are already hesitating on buying a 500 dollar machine right now.
At least the handheld can be a differentiator when compared to the PlayStation. Even though I am not quite sure how that's going to be much cheaper than a high-end console. If MS doesn't sell those at a hefty loss, then I can't see that being cheaper than 600-700 bucks either.
But it's an interesting idea.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with that is how do you execute the software..

I definitely don't want a Series X|S situation where the handheld is essentially the 'S' and must run everything the $700 console would..like that gap in power would clearly be WAY bigger than it is now (with X and S) and would severely limit how hard the home system could be pushed. Maybe this is not what anyone in the podcast was actually suggesting anyway..

If it's separate versions of games with dedicated portable teams (like Vita) then fine I guess but that still seems like a VERY tall task to take on for a company struggling to move even home console hardware at a competitive clip.

If it is just essentially an 'official Xbox handheld PC' for gamepass and stuff that to me makes the most sense..BUT I still think that market is growing fast and by 2026 or whatever it could be lost in a sea of other powerful handhelds..if it's a third party handheld then there's really no downside for MS.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
A handheld seems cool but my brain just can't comprehend a Series S or better in that way that is a slick device and lasts a good amount of time. Switch and Steamdeck are cool and all but I can't wrap my brain around it, be it Microsoft, Sony or Valve replicating their catalogue to this generation fidelity or better even with DLSS tricks.

To me it seems streaming is the only way to do it best.

Satoru

Jan 4, 2023
Sup everybody! I really enjoyed the xbox podcast yesterday! I felt like they were pretty honest and open about our industry and about Xbox!
I think they are trying something that will benefit every player and the industry as a whole in the future. I agree with Phill, in 10 years I don't see a world of exclusive games for both Sony and Microsoft (Nintendo is different).
They got me excited and I plan to subscribe again to Pc gamepass later this month to play Persona 3, Jusant and Hifi rush! This will save me some money as I won't need to buy on PS
Not only that, I'm so curious about the handheld and the ultrapowerful next gen console! I'm intrigued!

I'm happy that the future of Xbox is bright!

Status
Not open for further replies.