• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you purchase games on Xbox? (Excluding Game Pass)

• Physical

Votes: 108 10.4%
  • Digital

Votes: 757 72.6%
  • Mix of both

Votes: 177 17.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

We hope users of every leading platform can play Endfield on their platform of choice anytime, anywhere. We definitely want to leverage the respective advantages of consoles, PCs, and mobile devices. This is why we're trying to cover as many platforms as possible. Of course, this would entail quite a bit of work for our development team and we must be fully prepared to meet this challenge.

I mean, this is kinda boilerplate "we want to be where players are". Why don't the devs share some blame? Like, devs of all sizes from all regions can manage to make games for multiple platforms. They chose not to come to Xbox as much as Xbox doesn't help them. Hell, how does this mean that Xbox didn't reach out and they said "na"?

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Oh god. I hope they just call it "Halo" or bring back the numbers, honestly. Halo 7 let's go
It'll be Halo: Something again.

I'm not even convinced the next game will be a Chief story. I think it could be like Reach or ODST where it's essentially mainline but it's technically a spinoff.

Obviously Chief will return eventually, but it might not be the CA game.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

I'm not even convinced the next game will be a Chief story. I think it could be like Reach or ODST where it's essentially mainline but it's technically a spinoff.

I think they should just keep the story confined to books at this point. The campaign was a cancer on the development of Infinite, so much they had to hack two thirds of it out just to get it out the door.

Each campaign since the OG trilogy has been course correction and throwing away last game's plot (or more accurately, having last games plot be dealt with in a tie-in novel or comic). At this point, if they can't commit to a story, why have it?

krakenking189

Feb 21, 2021

Chief should be retired after this next game and move onto the next protag.

More importantly, though, 343 has to stand on their ideas and not bend to fans bitching or we're gonna be back at the same point we are now.

Ideally, this next game would be a campaign and then the MP is separate and we follow Chief as he gets off Zeta, goes around the galaxy recruiting allies who are strewn around and taking the fight to the endless, and is then finally able to retire.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I'd say games and specifically exclusive games you can't get anywhere else (even PC); is the biggest thing that moves actual hardware. Its the reason why both Sony and Nintendo are still able to move hardware at the same pace or faster then their previous generations.

Whether its more profitable for them; who knows. But if we are strictly talking bout hardware numbers that has to be the reason.

No chance I would own a ps5 and switch if they didn't still have console exclusives.

I believe that exclusives are not the main factor for gamers who choose consoles. Sony's exclusives only appeal to a small fraction of their customers, except for some popular titles like Spider-Man. The most played games on PlayStation are cross-platform ones like Fortnite or Warzone. I think the main reason people prefer PS5 over Xbox is because they already own a PS4. They can keep playing their favorite games and access their existing library on the new console. Some people are loyal to what they are familiar with, regardless of other options. For example, some people will always buy an iPhone, even if a Galaxy phone had better features, reviews, and price. The same goes for Toyota fans, who will pay more for a vehicle regardless of it costing more and reviewing worse. Some people stick to one brand because of their past satisfaction. Also, Xbox is on PC. If you are a PC gamer you don't need an Xbox. This is happening to Sony too, and it kind of makes you think PC gamers will get all games and exclusives.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
split screen is stupid anyways in 2024

they just gotta have an idea, and stand solid on it
I don't think it's stupid but I do think it's not worth getting angry about, especially since so few people would use it and it allowed them to devote resources to MP at a crucial time. The real problem was they promised it, so next time they need to not do that.

I actually think Infinite IS them having an idea and standing on it, for the most part. It managed to make old fans happy while also modernising it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Chief should be retired after this next game and move onto the next protag.

More importantly, though, 343 has to stand on their ideas and not bend to fans bitching or we're gonna be back at the same point we are now.

Ideally, this next game would be a campaign and then the MP is separate and we follow Chief as he gets off Zeta, goes around the galaxy recruiting allies who are strewn around and taking the fight to the endless, and is then finally able to retire.

Let's retire the one character that the vast majority of people recognize and love about Halo. The character that outside of maybe Steve has made them more money than virtually anything else they have produced in the last 20+ years.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I don't think it's stupid but I do think it's not worth getting angry about, especially since so few people would use it and it allowed them to devote resources to MP at a crucial time. The real problem was they promised it, so next time they need to not do that.

I actually think Infinite IS them having an idea and standing on it, for the most part. It managed to make old fans happy while also modernising it.

I dunno, most Halo threads are full of fans who really don't like the game. Plus happy fans don't abandon the game in a month--and yes, I know that was due to the live service issues, but that was the bed 343 chose to make and lie down in. It took them two years post-launch, AFTER a protracted dev cycle to get it into a "finished" state.

If the 5% of players who stuck around are in a good place now (and thats debatable), that still means 343 failed the other 95%.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
Regarding marketing and its importance: What exactly does marketing look like these days in the age of cord-cutting and ad-blocking? How do marketing budgets get spent? It's one thing to say that Xbox needs to market more, but what tools do they use? Canvasing subway billboards and highway billboards with ads for Game Pass and Xbox games makes a lotta sense of course. But outside of that, I'm curious.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Xbox is on PC. If you are a PC gamer you don't need an Xbox. This is happening to Sony too, and it kind of makes you think PC gamers will get all games and exclusives.
Most PC gamers weren't buying Xbox's or PlayStation's before, and of the handful that did, many were still playing everything they could on PC anyway. Putting games on PC means less "consoles sold", but doesn't have the same effect on the more meaningful metric of "users that do all their gaming spends though our console".

Last edited:

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I dunno, most Halo threads are full of fans who really don't like the game. Plus happy fans don't abandon the game in a month--and yes, I know that was due to the live service issues, but that was the bed 343 chose to make and lie down in. It took them two years post-launch, AFTER a protracted dev cycle to get it into a "finished" state.

If the 5% of players who stuck around are in a good place now (and thats debatable), that still means 343 failed the other 95%.
Yeah, that's all fine. All I know is that I've been playing Halo since 2001 and Infinite has the best gameplay of the entire franchise (and one of the best campaigns) and I still play it multiple times a week. I've played it more and longer than any previous Halo MP.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I believe that exclusives are not the main factor for gamers who choose consoles. Sony's exclusives only appeal to a small fraction of their customers, except for some popular titles like Spider-Man. The most played games on PlayStation are cross-platform ones like Fortnite or Warzone. I think the main reason people prefer PS5 over Xbox is because they already own a PS4. They can keep playing their favorite games and access their existing library on the new console. Some people are loyal to what they are familiar with, regardless of other options. For example, some people will always buy an iPhone, even if a Galaxy phone had better features, reviews, and price. The same goes for Toyota fans, who will pay more for a vehicle regardless of it costing more and reviewing worse. Some people stick to one brand because of their past satisfaction. Also, Xbox is on PC. If you are a PC gamer you don't need an Xbox. This is happening to Sony too, and it kind of makes you think PC gamers will get all games and exclusives.
And why did so many people buy PS4s? If we followed this logic then the console split should be 50/50 like in the PS360 generation.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Regarding marketing and its importance: What exactly does marketing look like these days in the age of cord-cutting and ad-blocking? How do marketing budgets get spent? It's one thing to say that Xbox needs to market more, but what tools do they use? Canvasing subway billboards and highway billboards with ads for Game Pass and Xbox games makes a lotta sense of course. But outside of that, I'm curious.
Microsoft spends most of it on YouTube - at least in the UK, anyway. Whereas on TV I mostly see PlayStation and Nintendo adverts with PlayStation adverts appearing a lot during events with high viewers (Champions League, other sports games). Microsoft did do a lot of Diablo IV adverts on TV last year and it seemed to pay off for them which is why I was surprised I hardly saw anything about Starfield or Forza Motorsport with the UK being big lovers of racing games like that. I think they'll still mostly utilise YouTube this year but if they do have the marketing for Call of Duty I reckon they'll use that time period to go all-in on TV adverts emphasising that you can play it day one on GP etc.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this is kinda boilerplate "we want to be where players are". Why don't the devs share some blame? Like, devs of all sizes from all regions can manage to make games for multiple platforms. They chose not to come to Xbox as much as Xbox doesn't help them. Hell, how does this mean that Xbox didn't reach out and they said "na"?

Because so far no gacha games on Xbox from China.

Playstation get announcements every year on the other hand.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely don't agree with you there lol

Same. Some of us care about Halo's campaigns, including Infinite, which I love playing. We need more campaigns and more story. Doesn't have to be Chief, as Reach demonstrated. There's many directions they could take Halo in and as long as they give it the blockbuster resources it needs, I'll always be up for more Halo.

Gears is the same.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think the main hardcore vocal players of Halo are aging. Always will hunt for the old glory days that aren't realistic anymore. And don't think it's smart to listen to them much anymore. Think there is more to gain with focusing on new players as they are like what the older Halo players were in their younger years.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
And why did so many people buy PS4s? If we followed this logic then the console split should be 50/50 like in the PS360 generation.
The early bad PR, tiered countries, and losing COD marketing rights played major parts in Xbox losing mindshare last gen. Not that I agree that exclusives aren't important, but MS made a lot bad decisions with the XBONE.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Most PC gamers weren't buying Xbox's or PlayStation's before, and of the handful that did, many were still playing everything they could on PC anyway. Putting games on PC means less "consoles sold", but doesn't have the same affect on the more meaningful metric of "users that do all their gaming spends though our console".
People always blame the downward trend of Xbox hardware sales on them putting their games on PC.

Coincidentally enough, the lack of must-have first-party games started around the same time.

Makes you think! 🤔

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Microsoft should establish a dedicated port studio to funnel staff into FTE positions that is also utilized across the studios organization to support. It would be better than contractor positions.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I think the main hardcore vocal players of Halo are aging. Always will hunt for the old glory days that aren't realistic anymore. And don't think it's smart to listen to them much anymore. Think there is more to gain with focusing on new players as they are like what the older Halo players were in their younger years.

And we'll, those younger players ain't into Halo. Rather than hoping they get on that bandwagon, MS shpuld try to make something that appeals to them.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'll probably buy Pentiment physical disc to show support. Because damn I hope they make more games like that. So special.

Jun 5, 2023
I love Halo, but theses are some hard to swallow pills some fans need to take.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It is! It's used by less then 5% of the player base and everyone who goes "oh where the hell is split screen" is never gonna use it cause they have real lives!
Splitscreen is used by far more than 5%. You've pretty much made up that number, and it's guaranteed that not having splitscreen actually reduces your potential playerbase. For some people, it's the only way they can play your game.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
It's interesting that Xbox seems to have outsourced all the other-console ports. At least, I think they have. I know SoT was also contracted out to a studio that's helping with Fable.

Anyway, it's interesting because that's not what they do for PC. All the Xbox studios are making those versions internally.

That's what I found interesting too, and it's good news for Xbox fans since it means our games don't get pushed back as ports are made.

It also likely means that there likely won't be many ports very fast unless MS purchases all these helper studios, as it seems like those studios work with quite a few other publishers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.