• No

Votes: 417 45.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
As a specific Xbox showcase? No as like you I'm expecting most/all games shown to be multiplatform eventually.

As a showcase for good games? I'm excited about that.

Perfect way of putting it….also I'm just not *really* excited for anything in gaming outside of the Switch 2 right now so it's a me thing too.

For me the Multiplatform stuff isn't a bother, obviously. It's just the layoffs have kind of killed any interest I have for these big shows. Not just Xbox; PlayStation is rumoured to have a showcase next week and I couldn't give less of a shit. The Games themselves are fine, just the thought of all these corporate stooges talking up games knowing they have and will continue to lay people off just shits me to no end. Whether the game does well or not it doesn't seem to matter.

I think it was Tom Warren who said more Xbox lay offs are coming in July, and they won't be the only ones. I am expecting another round from PlayStation. And I am meant to be excited that these executives are happy talking about how incredible these games are while viewing the people who create them as disposal? Fuck off you vultures (not you, the execs.) If Matt Booty comes out on stage I'm going to vomit everywhere.

This too also summarizes it nicely for me as well lol.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
A question for longtime fans: are you approaching this upcoming showcase with the same level of excitement as past Xbox showcases?

For me it's a tough question to answer. I think the answer is No, I'm not heading into this Xbox showcase with the same level of excitement I would typically have. I think it's because I have a high degree of certainty that all Xbox games moving forward will come to the competition (including any newly announced first-party games at the showcase) and I have a high degree of uncertainty and anxiousness regarding how that affects the viability of the platform moving forward. I also don't trust that Xbox leadership knows what it's doing (after they closed Tango specifically, one of the crown jewels in their repertoire - it should be emphasized that Hi-Fi Rush is one of the best Xbox first-party games ever made, and now the developer is closed down).

Thanks to their stewardship, Ninja Theory absolutely nailed Hellblade II. I love the game. It's been a spectacular experience (so far - I think I'm at the final chapter). It landed a respectable 82 score on OpenCritic. And rumblings are Ninja Theory will stay alive and will be making more games.

But the question is: does Hellblade II hold a meaningful value as an Xbox exclusive? Will Avowed? Will Indiana Jones? There is a high likelihood that they are all going to the competition, while Xbox will certainly not get games like The Last of Us or Tears of the Kingdom. So what does that mean for Xbox? Why will customers continue to buy Xboxes if that's the case? Will enough Xbox fans remain Xbox console owners to keep the third-party developers onboard the ecosystem?

I don't know the answers to those questions. And I think Microsoft are being intentionally vague about their plans. So we probably won't know the impact/consequences of these Xbox rumours and decisions until maybe deep into next-gen.

So that uncertainty is making me approach the showcase a little differently, I think. I expect there to be a lot of good games. But I also expect every single game at this Xbox showcase to eventually come to PlayStation and Switch. If a lot of customers sell their Xboxes and simply choose to wait to play the games elsewhere - can the Xbox as a console survive?
Still excited for the games but I'm looking at more from a pc user then an xbox user

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
About the show , i just want to see good games on gamepass. I don't Care about multiplatform , i don't Care about exécutive talking about how good they are . I just want to see games ( even if not on gamepass finally if it's some good third party games).

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Part of the reason I was excited in previous years was for the vision they seemed to be pitching, with smaller teams allowed or even encouraged to make highly polished versions of the games they knew best even if those weren't classic mass market action genres.

Now that that's seemingly out the window, and with the stench of closing Tango and Austin hanging around, it's tough to be as excited. We'll still see a ton of cool games, and the lead times mean we will still see a bunch of cool projects come out over the next few shows/years (South of Midnight, Clockwork, and so on), but overall it's gonna feel more like watching a show for EA or something. If there's things I like, great, if it's all just money chasing Madden and Star Wars content, well, what else should we expect from these huge publishers?

The wildcard is hardware - I don't think we will see anything specific about a handheld, but I'd love to see a really high quality new entrant in that space.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024
If Jason Schrier tweeted something was 100% happening, it is happening. And he is pretty clear if something is speculation, same with Natedrake. If they can make it work I don't know why Jez cant.

Basically those people use their social channels to only report, no personal opinios whatsoever. When you follow Jez for some time i think you can understand his flow. He tweets maybe 15 times a day. He just tweeted "Avowed". It's all him just chatting with people.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024
Btw do you guys actually think they will talk about multiplat strategy? I mean that's a genuine question. PS and Xbox doesn't even mention competitor name on showcase even in super obvious multiplat games like Assassin's Creed or CoD etc. so i wouldn't expect that kind of act.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Btw do you guys actually think they will talk about multiplat strategy? I mean that's a genuine question. PS and Xbox doesn't even mention competitor name on showcase even in super obvious multiplat games like Assassin's Creed or CoD etc. so i wouldn't expect that kind of act.
Nope. I would be absolutely stunned if they even mentioned "other platforms"
Expect to see "Coming to Xbox, PC, Cloud" on everything minus any on that list the game isnt hitting like Assassin's Creed Shadows not being on Cloud for example.
multiplatform titles will continue to be announced via Wire post, partner showcase streams and people leaking it on Twitter.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
During the showcase? No. With whatever platform update thing they do before or after it? Sure, though I'd expect them to be pretty light on details.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, but given the sht storm that ensued when they did the last wave of ports, I think it may be smart to say something about it. Likely outside of the actual event.

Appollowexx

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who never finished Blue Dragon nor Lost Odyssey back in the day, I'd be thrilled to get a remaster of either game. They were far from perfect, but certainly amongst the last of the classic JRPG's from that time. Both have alot of character and feel pretty nostalgic to me.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It's tricky because if they don't say the games are exclusive, that alone will create a bit of a shit Fest. Look what happened with Blade. Imagine that, but for basically every game.

It's almost worth just coming out ahead of it all. At this point, ambiguity might be worst than knowledge.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It's tricky because if they don't say the games are exclusive, that alone will create a bit of a shit Fest. Look what happened with Blade. Imagine that, but for basically every game.

It's almost worth just coming out ahead of it all. At this point, ambiguity might be worst than knowledge.
They didn't say exclusive last year though. I still think they will just do "Xbox Game Studios presents" and then say platforms are Xbox Series S/X and PC. Anything day and date multiplatform will be talked about after the showcase, and anything planned to come to other platforms post-launch won't be talked about until after the game comes out.

If the strategy is still being figured out, they likely don't even know 100% what will and what won't be ported, so better to just keep them all as Xbox and PC for now and then announce what is being ported however long after launch.

Nov 8, 2017
They didn't say exclusive last year though. I still think they will just do "Xbox Game Studios presents" and then say platforms are Xbox Series S/X and PC. Anything day and date multiplatform will be talked about after the showcase, and anything planned to come to other platforms post-launch won't be talked about until after the game comes out.

We often disagree but I think this is basically correct. Or close to it. It's not impossible that day and date stuff will be announced live in little title cards at the end of each trailer, but in general I don't think they will do anything to draw specific attention to that, and especially won't announce things that are 3/6/12 months later on PS5 in the show directly.

There's also a chance they won't even list any platforms. They'll just show games.

Ignoring what might be better/worse, they have shown a firm committment to being ambiguous.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I don't really understand the need for remasters when it's been more than ten years since a release.

I guess for Gears it makes sense if it's an entire collection like MCC (though I'd still love a remake of 2).

But for Fallout 3 or Blue Dragon, I personally don't know if I even want to play them if the updates are minimal. I'd prefer getting modern graphics even if they don't touch any of the gameplay.

If they truly are announcing Multiplatform stuff at their show that sends a pretty loud and clear message to everyone watching really. I still don't believe it, but maybe they are pivoting faster into it than I would have thought.

If we learn that most things are multiplat right after the showcase, I don't see the good that it does for the Xbox platform.

Doom: Year Zero, Gears Collection and COD (obviously for this one) all seem to be day and date already. That's probably three of the biggest sellers Xbox would have in the next year.

I don't see anyone from the general public suddenly thinking "Xbox's where it's at" if they start receiving all these big titles on Playstation.
People like to think no one follows these news, but the general public still inform themselves for a second before spending 500$. And any outlet or their terminally online friends would tell them right away: "Xbox has Game Pass, a great service bla bla bla. But all of their games are now also playable on other consoles, while you'd be missing out on the next Last of Us, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Horizon etc." These are absolutely something any journalist would mention when making console comparisons. It's a massive selling point whether some like it or not.

The way I see it, Doom Year Zero and COD can and should stay multiplat (already sure for COD, again), but Gears Collection really shouldn't.

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
A question for longtime fans: are you approaching this upcoming showcase with the same level of excitement as past Xbox showcases?
100%. All the games that made me want to buy back into the Xbox ecosystem this gen should be arriving over the next 18 months. My expectations are higher than previous shows.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024
Not sure, but given the sht storm that ensued when they did the last wave of ports, I think it may be smart to say something about it. Likely outside of the actual event.

It would steal to show, even with a Xbox Wire post. Tho the thing is communication, Doom being multiplat while Final Fantasy, Mana, MLB The Show etc. coming to Xbox is a fair trade but Xbox fails to show that to consumers. As far as i see this is the best times for Xbox regarding 3rd parties.

Additionally tho, I want legacy titles like Doom to be announced as exclusives. Shows they still care about exclusivity.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
We often disagree but I think this is basically correct. Or close to it. It's not impossible that day and date stuff will be announced live in little title cards at the end of each trailer, but in general I don't think they will do anything to draw specific attention to that, and especially won't announce things that are 3/6/12 months later on PS5 in the show directly.

There's also a chance they won't even list any platforms. They'll just show games.

Ignoring what might be better/worse, they have shown a firm committment to being ambiguous.
I think they will do what they did before. Minecraft spinoffs only said Xbox and PC and then later they said they were coming to PS and Switch. Same approach for day and date multiplatform stuff (which I still think won't be the majority of what they show, maybe only Doom and the Blue Dragon remaster, MAYBE Gears Collection) and everything else will be Xbox and PC until they say otherwise after launch. The DD said platforms and I don't know why the showcase wouldn't.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Additionally tho, I want legacy titles like Doom to be announced as exclusives. Shows they still care about exclusivity.
I know this is a prevailing sentiment and I don't actually disagree with it, but we need to remember that Doom built a very large audience on PS with 2016 and Eternal (likely more PS leaning than BGS games, which became huge during 360 so have a bigger Xbox presence). While exclusivity would of course make a difference, I also understand why they wouldn't want to completely tank one of their "high impact" franchises which already has a large audience on PS by making it exclusive.

I don't know what they're going to do with Doom, but if anything was going to be day and date multiplatform in the near future, it's probably Doom. We've yet to have a new title in an established Bethesda IP since acquisition so it'll be an interesting experiment for them.

To be clear, I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be, just that I understand why they would do it.

Dec 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I am so interested to see what they are doing with Doom.

Part of me wants them to ditch the combat arena shenanigans and... I don't know, create a spiritual successor to Half-Life 2?

Just late night thoughts

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I really like Hellblade 2. Its so much better than the first. I really can't take any review lower than a 7 seriously. Even if it's not your type of game it should be viewed objectively and for what it is. What they created is an accomplishment and should be celebrated.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
As someone who never finished Blue Dragon nor Lost Odyssey back in the day, I'd be thrilled to get a remaster of either game. They were far from perfect, but certainly amongst the last of the classic JRPG's from that time. Both have alot of character and feel pretty nostalgic to me.

Speaking strictly from visuals, Lost Odyssey honestly needs it more. It has this murky, blurry kind of look to it that could really use a nice polish. Blue Dragon still looks pretty okay thanks to its art direction and how colorful it is. Though a remaster will make those colors pop and standout more.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I want new Japanese games from Xbox but they killed their lone studio for it. They better not say anything about the meaning of Japanese content on Xbox in one of their talking segments. They'll get torn apart for it.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
They're going to reveal Will Smith for it. What was that game called?
Undawn. Mobile game by Tencent's LightSpeed Studios.

For me it's a tough question to answer. I think the answer is No, I'm not heading into this Xbox showcase with the same level of excitement I would typically have. I think it's because I have a high degree of certainty that all Xbox games moving forward will come to the competition (including any newly announced first-party games at the showcase) and I have a high degree of uncertainty and anxiousness regarding how that affects the viability of the platform moving forward. I also don't trust that Xbox leadership knows what it's doing (after they closed Tango specifically, one of the crown jewels in their repertoire - it should be emphasized that Hi-Fi Rush is one of the best Xbox first-party games ever made, and now the developer is closed down).

Thanks to their stewardship, Ninja Theory absolutely nailed Hellblade II. I love the game. It's been a spectacular experience (so far - I think I'm at the final chapter). It landed a respectable 82 score on OpenCritic. And rumblings are Ninja Theory will stay alive and will be making more games.

But the question is: does Hellblade II hold a meaningful value as an Xbox exclusive? Will Avowed? Will Indiana Jones? There is a high likelihood that they are all going to the competition, while Xbox will certainly not get games like The Last of Us or Tears of the Kingdom. So what does that mean for Xbox? Why will customers continue to buy Xboxes if that's the case? Will enough Xbox fans remain Xbox console owners to keep the third-party developers onboard the ecosystem?

I don't know the answers to those questions. And I think Microsoft are being intentionally vague about their plans. So we probably won't know the impact/consequences of these Xbox rumours and decisions until maybe deep into next-gen.

So that uncertainty is making me approach the showcase a little differently, I think. I expect there to be a lot of good games. But I also expect every single game at this Xbox showcase to eventually come to PlayStation and Switch. If a lot of customers sell their Xboxes and simply choose to wait to play the games elsewhere - can the Xbox as a console survive?
Never been as excited for Xbox Showcase. I'm all about the games, so nothing will really ruin my excitement. Based on some games that will be there and other that will most likely be there, could be all-timer.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024
I know this is a prevailing sentiment and I don't actually disagree with it, but we need to remember that Doom built a very large audience on PS with 2016 and Eternal (likely more PS leaning than BGS games, which became huge during 360 so have a bigger Xbox presence). While exclusivity would of course make a difference, I also understand why they wouldn't want to completely tank one of their "high impact" franchises which already has a large audience on PS by making it exclusive.

I don't know what they're going to do with Doom, but if anything was going to be day and date multiplatform in the near future, it's probably Doom. We've yet to have a new title in an established Bethesda IP since acquisition so it'll be an interesting experiment for them.

To be clear, I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be, just that I understand why they would do it.

well said, while i can see if it's really basically a case by case basis in this case multiplat make sense, yet this would also be a game that can make people buy xbox if its exclusive. i cant think of any other game from near future that can make people go "oh the previous one was great i need to play this". from Xbox side.

i wonder what they'll show with CoD btw, Starfield Direct made sense because there are so many stuff to talk about. Will we be listening all about multiplayer modes etc.or maybe a shorter direct around 15 mins.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Funny that we talking about games we only saw last year. Kinda forgot we offcourse gonna see Starfield DLC also. Avowed, Indy haha
They can maybe keep Fable for TGA or something. But then Fable is late 2025 for sure.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
Everything they showed last showcase should be in this one too. I don't see a point in not showing what we've seen last year and what we know is in development for a long time, at their showcase. New game announcements is what they can save for other events, makes more sense imo.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Everything they showed last showcase should be in this one too. I don't see a point in not showing what we've seen last year and what we know is in development for a long time, at their showcase. New game announcements is what they can save for other events, makes more sense imo.
I agree with the exception of Clockwork Revolution if it's 2026. If it's 2025, then yeah it should be here. But if it's not, then I can see the argument.

For stuff like Contraband and TOW 2, even if they are 2025, I think they could be saved for the DD like Indy was this year. Which sucks because I want to see TOW 2 so bad lol

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
if they show it at TGA and not next month i doubt its spring 2025
I agree but that's why I would be shocked if they don't show it next month, because I really do believe it's first half of 2025.

I don't think they want to go three showcases in a row showing the same game (barring a delay like Starfield) so I think the goal is to get Fable out before the next showcase (or maybe around the same time as the showcase, a week or two either side).

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
I agree with the exception of Clockwork Revolution if it's 2026. If it's 2025, then yeah it should be here. But if it's not, then I can see the argument.

For stuff like Contraband and TOW 2, even if they are 2025, I think they could be saved for the DD like Indy was this year. Which sucks because I want to see TOW 2 so bad lol
It seems like they will show some games that are further away. I think it's weird not to show Clockwork Revolution after that amazing trailer last year. It could be late 2025, if everything goes well. Contraband is a safe bet, but I have to say, don't be too hopeful for TOW 2. I agree they will save something again for D_D.

Now that I see this, yeah, I think roman numerals would've been cooler.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Clockwork had already gameplay last year when nobody was expecting it. They are moving fast. So i am sure they can make another ingame trailer atleast

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Honestly I want to know the 2025 lineup just so we can infer what the 2026 lineup is lol

Right now we have like 12 games that could all be 2025 or 2026 and we just don't know.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Honestly I want to know the 2025 lineup just so we can infer what the 2026 lineup is lol

Right now we have like 12 games that could all be 2025 or 2026 and we just don't know.
not including like the unannounced titles (that arent obvious like Gears 6) or partner first party titles
We went from elusive 5 to elusive bakers dozen even post 4 studios closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.