• No

Votes: 417 45.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I'm just happy my investment in Xbox was minimal, I mostly have spent it on consoles and game pass
Same, when did gamepass release again? Since then it's been like 90% of my non-hardware spending on the platform. (damn, I'm a reason non-gamepads games don't sell much on Xbox)

Jesus man there was so much optimism when xbox bought bethesda then after that Activision fast forward look where we're at maybe one day we'll get that optimism back lol
Funny thing is, I was leaning Xbox but was still considered a PS5 at launch, the Bethesda purchase is was cemented my XSX purchase. It was smart them announcing the acquisition just as hardware preorders were available.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Jesus man there was so much optimism when xbox bought bethesda then after that Activision fast forward look where we're at maybe one day we'll get that optimism back lol
Don't worry, after the Xbox Showcase, everyone will be like: "wow those games looked amazing, I'm hyped for <X>" and the mood will change to optimism for a week until the next PR blunder. It's the Xbox cycle at this point.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
The other elephant in the room is that whatever their next consoles may be, it's not going to compete against a PS6.

We agree that they may be developing a handheld and a beefy PC Box, right?

Both of those options would be:
- a device that is cheaper than a PS6 but does not offer the best console version of their games (and still without exclusives)
- a device that is more pricey than a PS6 and does offer the best console version of their games (still without exclusives)

So really, the best bet is that I, as a consumer willing to put about 500$ in a console, have no reason not to go the PlayStation route if I want to have the best price/quality ratio.

immy

Banned
Jul 3, 2022
The other elephant in the room is that whatever their next consoles may be, it's not going to compete against a PS6.

- a device that is cheaper than a PS6 but does not offer the best console version of their games (and still without exclusives)
- a device that is more pricey than a PS6 and does offer the best console version of their games (still without exclusives)

So really, the best bet is that I, as a consumer willing to put about 500$ in a console, have no reason not to go the PlayStation route if I want to have the best price/quality ratio.
Yeah if these are Microsoft plans, I will go for ps6 oy next time. It's a shame as I prefer my Xbox series X to my ps5, but MS are not offering something enticing to me

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

For me, most of my current investment in Xbox is in Game Pass. I will buy an Xbox console as long as it has Game Pass and PS6 doesn't have Game Pass. I don't want to pay $80 for games next gen.

Also, I theorize that next gen, Sony will start doing day and date Steam releases (based on the Sony CEO comments about investing more in PC) so if the next Xbox has Steam I can theoretically also play PlayStation games and I might be good with an Xbox "PC Box" and a Switch 2.

Personally that's just me.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
the xbox hype is still there if what you are interested in are the games :D
2024 and 2025 are looking to be amazing and the showcase should deliver on some great updates to some of the games we have been waiting on
at the end of the day the only thing that has changed is who can play these games and the outcome has become more people.

Until the next studio closure.
I can tell you for a fact right now.
EA, MS, Sony, Embracer, Take Two etc etc will close, open and buy studios in the future.
whether its 2024 or 2050. As long as they are in the business it will continue to happen just like it always has. If it didnt ruin gaming for you in 2000, 2010, 2020 then youll be fine. ABK literally revealed publicly a AAA RPG studio, something no one really thought would happen with how much its a COD machine lol

OraleAtlas

Banned
May 24, 2024
Don't worry, after the Xbox Showcase, everyone will be like: "wow those games looked amazing, I'm hyped for <X>" and the mood will change to optimism for a week until the next PR blunder. It's the Xbox cycle at this point.
Not really there's gonna be that looming thought of "3rd party" and "hardware going away" in the back of people's thoughts 2021 and 2022 xbox hype was hitting different we're never getting that back are we 💀

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Also crushing and dismissing two whole studios is a good way to disgruntle current employees and past. Going to accelerate.

Yes.

Someone leaked some Overwatch 2 story stuff when they canceled Blizzard's survival project and terminated ABK jobs last year.

Xbox console hardware business gonna be like their controllers: a new Xbox device every other week.

Basically the Ayaneo model.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is, I was leaning Xbox but was still considered a PS5 at launch, the Bethesda purchase is was cemented my XSX purchase.

Yeah, it was the promise of exclusives from Bethesda or their other purchases that made many of us in here go with Xbox this generation. If those games were gonna be on other platforms, while those platforms keep their games exclusive, I doubt many of us would have gone with Xbox.

Well, we got our exclusive: Redfall.

"Exclusives for platforms where Game Pass exist". Redfall is what that amounted to, once they port Starfield, which will happen.

Last edited:

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
I can tell you for a fact right now.
EA, MS, Sony, Embracer, Take Two etc etc will close, open and buy studios in the future.
whether its 2024 or 2050. As long as they are in the business it will continue to happen just like it always has. If it didnt ruin gaming for you in 2000, 2010, 2020 then youll be fine. ABK literally revealed publicly a AAA RPG studio, something no one really thought would happen with how much its a COD machine lol

It's just that the Tango closure really stings.

When Volition and others were closed down it was understandable but Tango was completely undeserved, especially when we were lied to that something like that wouldn't happen.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Not really there's gonna be that looming thought of "3rd party" and "hardware going away" in the back of people's thoughts 2021 and 2022 xbox hype was hitting different we're never getting that back are we 💀
I have been part of the Xbox OT on ResetEra since the first Microsoft Studios OT. Trust me when I say, there has never been any year in history without tons of dooming. Those years you are referencing, there was a controversy about increasing the price of Xbox Live Gold, there was many articles about like half of Microsoft's first party pipeline being in development hell and having terrible working conditions, "Halo Infinite looks like a PS2 game" memes.

These years of "all hype all of the time" simply never existed in ResetEra. It's a constant loop of cynicism and hopeful optimism that constantly shifts back and forth like a pendulum.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
There is plenty of optimism to be had if you approach it from the software point of view.
That's if Microsoft doesn't have a gameplay demo that looks absolutely terrible at the showcase, because if they do, it's all anyone will focus on. But I do agree that the showcase will be killer (cough instinct) and hopefully we don't have a Halo Infinite moment ever again.

Sipahi

Jan 30, 2021
Im interested to see where they go with this. What is their end goal? Is the worst case scenario Xbox being scrapped and replaced with MS Gaming?

Also a little scary but the PS6 will essentially have a monopoly on the main console market. The switch 2 can kinda compete since its a bit more powerful but thats in its own realm.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
15 days till we see PD, want to say hopefully but honestly don't really care about that franchise. Give me Clockwork Revolution.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

When Volition and others were closed down it was understandable but Tango was completely undeserved, especially when we were lied to that something like that wouldn't happen.

Yeah, I do believe they crossed a line with Tango in terms of at least the industry view. Arkane Austin, sure it sucks, but Redfall was bad, we know they had lost a lot of its staff during the development, sure that makes sense to a degree. Wish it hadn't, but at least there is some logic there. Tango makes no fucking sense in any way. Just none. I think this is the first time that people - the industry especially have really started turning on Phil Spencer and it is something I don't think he will ever live down now.

OraleAtlas

Banned
May 24, 2024
Kinda funny how people freaked about that article when it said "it's not xbox anymore it's Microsoft gaming" I remember a time when xbox game studios was called Microsoft game studios before phil renamed it again lol

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
As someone who cares a lot about the hundreds of games they already bought… doesn't track for me.
We can't worry about that until we see what Sarah Bond has planned for the forward compatibility team. They said they care a lot about making sure your old games go forward with you. Again, they probably won't talk about it until like 2026.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
As someone who cares a lot about the hundreds of games they already bought… doesn't track for me.

They aren't going to abandon that aspect. I suspect part of their comparability efforts is making sure as many games as possible will be available to be installed on pc, and maybe that's part of the reason for the pc/Xbox hybrid.

They will still want people in their ecosystem even if the console takes a backseat. It's what every company cares about nowadays.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
We can't worry about that until we see what Sarah Bond has planned for the forward compatibility team. They said they care a lot about making sure your old games go forward with you. Again, they probably won't talk about it until like 2026.

If they have a miracle solution to make it work on a PC/Xbox hybrid, great. It's just difficult to see how that would work and them (Spencer, Booty, Bond etc.) saying something means nothing. Only what actually happens and releases have meaning.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
That podcast they put out for us was full of so much bullshit that I don't put weight on any part of it. If they want people to care about what they say, I suggest not making a habit of blatantly lying on camera.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019

it does.
it fuckin sucks.
but as cruel as it could sound I am still excited for games including Xbox and Tango's closure wont realistically ruin the hobby for me.
Just means games like Hi-Fi Rush and Ghostwire get added to the massive list of games that should have gotten at least another game.
but also, the ending of Hi-Fi Rush is like...the most perfect ending I am glad if anything thats how Tango will be remembered and not if it had released garbage for a few years and went out with a wimper. I hope everyone that worked on it gets to have their own piece of that ending.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
I have zero faith or affection for Xbox management and Microsoft though.

no one should have faith and/or affection for any companies really.

They will still want people in their ecosystem even if the console takes a backseat. It's what every company cares about nowadays.

yeah, i don't think they can sell the 'ecosystem' that they want if they kill off people's console libraries but who knows.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
What people should actually be upset about is Mick Gordon is probably not going to be doing the new DOOM game 😤😤😤😤

Feuerstein

Feb 5, 2023
[
I'm still pissed about Tango. What a load of horseshit.

Wasn't a benefit of all of these acquisitions (that should have never been allowed to go through in the first place) was that these studios would be safe under the Microsoft umbrella with their trillion dollar war chest?

The acquisition is legal and therefore went through. it does not violate antitrust laws. In addition, the entire gaming industry is currently laying off employees and closing studios. This is not a Microsoft problem but an industry problem.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
They aren't going to abandon that aspect. I suspect part of their comparability efforts is making sure as many games as possible will be available to be installed on pc, and maybe that's part of the reason for the pc/Xbox hybrid.

Sounds like a lot of vague gesturing that I should believe in because of reasons. They'll have an "ecosystem" outside of game pass that they'll care about after this? Doubt it. Their console will have no buyers and no one is using Windows store to buy games, they don't need to care about old console buyers. And "as many as possible" is already BS. How many of 600 games would be lost? 100? 200? Half or more? Easy to be optimistic with other's people money.

OraleAtlas

Banned
May 24, 2024
Idk maybe jez got confused when he saw Iron galaxy was dropping new updates for KI again and assumed they were on a sequel

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Idk maybe jez got confused when he saw Iron galaxy was dropping new updates for KI again and assumed they were on a sequel
He never said sequel, that's only speculation. What Jez said in his article is that Iron Galaxy and Microsoft have recently reached a deal to work on the KI franchise again. And that was posted 4 days before IG officially announced they were working on KI updates.

some people speculate that there is a sequel in development and that MS will make it multiplatform to make KI a big fighting franchise.

Microsoft also recently promoted a new "Head of Killer Instinct Franchise" so there is some smoke. Seems weird to do if it's just for updates to the existing game.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
200w.gif
Well, Starfield, Hellblade 2 and Redfall are still Xbox exclusives. I imagine that Bethesda will make the games it makes multiplatform from now on, like the new DOOM

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Well, Starfield, Hellblade 2 and Redfall are still Xbox exclusives. I imagine that Bethesda will make the games it makes multiplatform from now on, like the new DOOM
For now, porting work takes a lot more time than you think. You can't just prepare a port a week or a month in advance. Nate said there may be more ports this holiday season "at earliest", could also be early next year.

If DOOM is multiplatform day and date, it's either further away than we think OR the decision for it to come to PS5 was made at least a year ago. We've heard Hellblade II has been under consideration for a couple months now and it's possible that it's in development right now, but again if so, we won't see it for PS5 until sometime next year.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
The acquisition is legal and therefore went through

Yeah because multi-trillion dollar corporations aren't known for bending the law to their will by throwing around money and influence.

It went through after intense lobbying and political maneuvering by Microsoft.

How Brad Smith used Microsoft’s $1bn law and lobbying machine to win Activision battle

Company’s top legal officer has honed diplomatic skills to recast the US tech giant’s reputation

While Microsoft's victory turned heavily on an intensive legal ground game and negotiations with regulators, it also reflects efforts over many years to put the company in a more favourable light. Behind the scenes, Smith has promoted a concerted campaign of influence-building with governments around the world that even some rival tech executives concede has given Microsoft an edge.

The software company has amassed "one of the largest armies of corporate diplomats that we've ever seen", said Manas Chawla, a researcher who has studied the company. "They include policy officials working on everything from how to regulate artificial intelligence to protecting elections and tackling cyberwarfare against sovereign states," he said.

Though that opens another can of worms as to whether giving corps this much influence over governments is a good thing (hint: it's not)

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024

Here I'm willing to pay more, have better hw and play PS games 2 year later, there are so littla ps exclusives that im interested in anyways.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
By faith I mean the ability to run a console business well. I have faith Nintendo and Sony management can, doesn't mean I like them, just that they're competent.

That's true, sometimes running a console business (not saying MS is doing this at all) 'well' is making shit decisions about layoff's but yeah, in terms of overall strategy Sony/Nintendo clearly has it down.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024
For now, porting work takes a lot more time than you think. You can't just prepare a port a week or a month in advance. Nate said there may be more ports this holiday season "at earliest", could also be early next year.

If DOOM is multiplatform day and date, it's either further away than we think OR the decision for it to come to PS5 was made at least a year ago. We've heard Hellblade II has been under consideration for a couple months now and it's possible that it's in development right now, but again if so, we won't see it for PS5 until sometime next year.

Discord leak said "next id game is no more exclusive so i'd think it changed in Jan.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Discord leak said "next id game is no more exclusive so i'd think it changed in Jan.
I mean that's just when it was leaked. The decision was probably made internally before that. Just like we are hearing that there are many ports in development "right now" but the insiders cannot provide credible info of which games are getting ports.

But it is possible either way, considering the game is probably not releasing until 2025 or 2026.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I have been part of the Xbox OT on ResetEra since the first Microsoft Studios OT. Trust me when I say, there has never been any year in history without tons of dooming. Those years you are referencing, there was a controversy about increasing the price of Xbox Live Gold, there was many articles about like half of Microsoft's first party pipeline being in development hell and having terrible working conditions, "Halo Infinite looks like a PS2 game" memes.

These years of "all hype all of the time" simply never existed in ResetEra. It's a constant loop of cynicism and hopeful optimism that constantly shifts back and forth like a pendulum.

You're right, if you follow gaming news long enough you witness this constant cycle.

The problem with this situation is Microsoft vague statements. Causing a continued negative atmosphere to cloud their Xbox brand.

For example, remember Sony raised PSN prices? There was lots of negative discussion/hyperbole about their brand. But fast forward to now. No one cares. Why? Because it was a finite thing. Sony announced it, it happened. Time goes on, and people moved on.

Microsoft going third party is not yet a finite thing (at least publicly). No ones know their exact plans, probably not even Microsoft. And as such the cloud of negativity and uncertainty will continue on.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022

Yes, I know that porting a game takes time. But if it is in development, I imagine that Microsoft will want to promote it to generate excitement, right? Or maybe they will announce it when the work is advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.