• No

Votes: 417 45.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
I hate to say it, but I think I'm on the "Forza Horizon 6 in 2025" side of the fence now. I feel like we would have heard literally the smallest bit of info about it by now from leakers but we haven't.

I'm perfectly okay with that though. If we get that Fallout 3 remaster and Starfield's expansion, it will be a great showing for me Personally.

I think the next Forza Horizon games will be cross-gen. Every ~5 years followed by big updates and some nice DLCs.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I just think that there's no time left for Xbox.

They did everything they could to grow Xbox in the last 4 years and in terms of console sales/hardware they're worse than ever, and everything points to the coming years being even worse, so why waste more time? Indiana Jones and Doom won't do what Starfield couldn't.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
People would just wait. It wouldn't add any more sales.

They need something though! They can't just keep doing what they are doing, but now also port games to playstation day and date. They still need to sell gamepass. Consoles are abit of a backseat sure, but gamepass should still be a priority.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
People would just wait. It wouldn't add any more sales.
The only way to "salvage" any semblance of integrity for your hardware or platform business is for this to be at least a year. It isn't going to be that. All signs point to Xbox transition to a publisher. It really seems like that's what's been decided.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think third party Xbox would thrive. Also I think it will increase the positive reception and look of Xbox itself. Resulting in more thrive

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
They need something though! They can't just keep doing what they are doing, but now also port games to playstation day and date. They still need to sell gamepass. Consoles are abit of a backseat sure, but gamepass should still be a priority.

This is the Disney+ issue all over again when movies after 60 days showing up on that streaming service - you have to deprogram people from the expectation 1) they could remove first party titles from the service 2)do some games 60 days to some being 180 days - it would start to get FOMO back which could benefit the platform

Also there are too many games on Game Pass with confusing tiers, so core gets you multiplayer but next tier up doesn't - confuses the average consumer.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean Game Pass can't be a priority if consoles aren't. They're inherently tied together. You are growing one without the other at this point.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Oh I think they will do great. I am more questioning it from a gamepass/console point of view. As a third party publisher xbox will kill it.
I just hope they keep making some kind of hardware. Even if it's just a pc. The console game being just PlayStation and nintendo would be very limiting. But there is no reason to think that Xbox new strategy is in any way to bolster that. It's just to make them oodles of money.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Creating more value for gamepass. If everything is day and date, I just feel gamepass loses a lot of its value.

I don't really get this. When 3rd party games come to Game Pass they release on other consoles simultaneously, this doesn't make them less valuable. I don't think first party games on other consoles does anything to the value of Game Pass, it maybe lowers the value of the console if you're not subscribed to Game Pass, I can understand that, but for Game Pass subscribers, I don't see what changes.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
I think third party Xbox would thrive. Also I think it will increase the positive reception and look of Xbox itself. Resulting in more thrive

That would mean no console HW - I don't want them make devices where you have to mess on with a bunch of settings as that runs counter to having a console where its plug and play you don't have to fiddle with settings

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I don't really get this. When 3rd party games come to Game Pass they release on other consoles simultaneously, this doesn't make them less valuable. I don't think first party games on other consoles does anything to the value of Game Pass, it maybe lowers the value of the console if you're not subscribed to Game Pass, I can understand that, but for Game Pass subscribers, I don't see what changes.

I think it is fine for existing gamepass subscribers, my argument is more from the point of view of growing the service.

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
after all this multiplatypus and surfacelike console news will series x lose third party support for the remaining of this gen? what about square enix games like ff and others

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
after all this multiplatypus and surfacelike console news will series x lose third party support for the remaining of this gen? what about square enix games like ff and others

Regardless what happens now, there is still 30 million consoles out there. The vast majority of third party will still release.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That would mean no console HW - I don't want them make devices where you have to mess on with a bunch of settings as that runs counter to having a console where its plug and play you don't have to fiddle with settings
I think there is always a place for hardware for xbox
Maybe not in the same quantity. But as hardware company it makes sense to keep in touch tech wise

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
Don't think anyone is denying that Xbox wouldn't make boatloads of money going 3rd party. Don't really know about the reputation part its not like anyone sees EA or Take2 in a positive light and Xbox will basically become a publisher like those two. The crux of the issue tends to be that going 3rd party would put consoles 10 feet under or would completely change them to the point where they aren't considered consoles anymore which some are worried about.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
PC gamers are rejecting Game Pass in favor of buying the games on Steam because PC gamers do not like other launchers. The only way to make Game Pass grow faster on PC is if they make it somehow buyable and accessible through Steam.

That is somewhat true but not every big game is on Steam. The biggest games in the world like Fortnite and Minecraft are not on Steam though. I do remember Gabe saying he would like Game Pass on Steam. My guess is Microsoft has different plans though. I still think we'll get xbox back compatibility on PC and this is how they can guarantee game preservation. That might help with people using Xbox on PC.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024

They did everything they could to grow Xbox in the last 4 years and in terms of console sales/hardware they're worse than ever, and everything points to the coming years being even worse, so why waste more time? Indiana Jones and Doom won't do what Starfield couldn't.

They literally didnt do anything, it was last september when the studious they bought started paying off.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

i'd even say GP becomes an even better deal when non-subscribers have to pay £70 for each game

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Starfield being middling really destroyed Microsoft's faith in Xbox. If it was a 10/10 system seller I feel this thread would be real different. They had so much hype and eyes on the product with Starfield and it just didn't come together like they hoped.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024
im actually pretty positive about future, i also have so many games to play atm series x is a great value for me. But the constant shift on what Xbox will do is really exhausting i hate it.

I dont understand their investment on the hardware if they will kill it, because essentially there is good amount of investment happening to the X|S.

kruczynski

Sep 21, 2020

Did they? Did they support the console in markets outside the US? Did they try to reach the gamers outside the already informed core gamers' bubble? Did they make marketing for the Game Pass?
Because from where I live (Europe) I saw nothing like that happening.
And that's what frustrates me: they have the most pro-consumer offer, the best ecosystem, the best hardware (in terms of QoL features, not just performance) and yet here we are.
And as much as I'm aware of the situation of the entire industry (and thank you Idas for explaining it better than I ever could), it doesn't change the fact that whatever path they chose to follow, it was always half-assed in its execution.
Now, I'm not worried about what the multiplatform pivot will do to the already flatlining console sales, I knew that the console was becoming an afterthought the moment Spencer started with the new mantras "you don't need an Xbox to play our games" and "every screen is an Xbox". What makes me worry is the fate of those small studios that were acquired to diversify the GP offer. Booty said that the gaming division is now focused on the big, popular, gamers-retaining IPs... And that's the reason behind Arkane's, Tango's and Alpha Dog's closures. MS becoming (fully) third party publisher means that there's no room for small games, no room for creative freedom... We've already seen what a big third party publisher does to its niche games and small studios (see EA or the damn ABK).

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think by 2027 you'll be able to boot up your Xbox, launch Steam like you are launching a game, there you will open Helldivers and start playing.
But that's not an Xbox port, that's a PC with Steam installed lol. Your friend list will be empty, no Xbox achievements, no Xbox cloud saves etc.

Not even sure if that would count as Xbox MAU, but probably not

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
How I think it'll shake out:

Xbox Game Studios games: Xbox/PC timed exclusives, releasing on other platforms after a year or so.

Bethesda games: Multiplatform.

Activision Blizzard games: Multiplatform.

It's worth keeping in mind that even without any Bethesda and Activision Blizzard games being exclusive to Xbox/PC, Microsoft still has a substantially larger first-party operation in Xbox Game Studios than they did last generation, with the addition of studios like Obsidian, inXile, Compulsion, Undead Labs, and Double Fine. Also it seems like they've substantially increased their partnerships with external developers through XGS Publishing.

Last edited:

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024
But that's not an Xbox port, that's a PC with Steam installed lol. Your friend list will be empty, no Xbox achievements, no Xbox cloud saves etc.

Not even sure if that would count as Xbox MAU, but probably not

they can work stuff out, linking accounts etc.
not having a game is worse than having it w/o achievements anyways.

Orduss

Feb 3, 2021
Jez seems very confident in the replies, he has seen something I imagine. Wonder if he implies that the game looks even better (graphically) than in the Dev Direct, honestly while it would be cool it's only a bonus on top of the mechanics for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.