Votes: 496 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 417 45.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You get people who usually pay to play moving to gamepass. So you lose them.
But then you gain people who never really got COD now trying it with gamepass

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
FWIW, tens of millions buy COD every year. So the number of people unwilling to pay $70 to play the campaign has to be rather minuscule but I would love to be proven wrong.

There are always more people who don't buy a game compared to the user base.

If a COD sold like 30 Million copies that would mean that there 100 or 200 Million who didn't.

Also think about the people who buy cod on sale like 6 month later. Those would rather sub day one instead of waiting for it to go on sale.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There are always more people who don't buy a game compared to the user base.

If a COD sold like 30 Million copies that would mean that there 100 or 200 Million who didn't.

Also think about the people who buy cod on sale like 6 month later. Those would rather sub day one instead of waiting for it to go on sale.

They would need to own an Xbox or a PC capable of playing COD and then sub to GP. Also 6 months later COD might be 33% off. COD isn't Ubisoft. There is also the F2P ultra popular Warzone but I digress. I hope you are right. I am one of the people that buys CoD regularly that now will enjoy it on GP.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
crazy what a boost Fallout 76 has got.
They improved the game alot. But to get people playing it again and getting them back. Is so hard.
The Fallout show really was a godsend for them

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Was wondering as well.

Usually console warring is not allowed here but a whole thread forcing it seems alright ?

Ever since the closures attacks on MS and its studios seem to get a free pass. At least that kind of stuff generally gets shut down in this thread now.

Hopefully a showcase/SoP should be a big enough distraction to stop it for a few weeks.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't why but whilst I'm excited to see ganes like Gears 6, Fable etc at the same time I'm not excited as I fear they will be Multiplat, which will damage the hardware. Weird feeling

That cloud of uncertainty will continue to exist, a lot of titles being announced will have the multiplatform discussion dominate the conversation.

And honesty if the multiplatform strategy has to happen here's what I would do....

-Any game not launching at $70 is multiplatform day and date release, (this will help ensure the survival of the studio)

-Port older successful service games

-Continue to launch your $70 games as exclusive or at least a one year exclusivity window. These are titles with the potential to bring new people into your ecosystem, use that to your advantage.

If Microsoft came out and was very specific what titles are going where at least players will know what to expect.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Playground is killing it still with updates to FH5. I spent a couple of hours last night playing the new retro wave update and was hooked all over like the game just came out. The amount of effort they're putting into their updates is amazing almost 3 years later. They were such a perfect studio to invest it.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
giving MS credit for Activision marketing is such a smoke and mirrors argument. Activision has always had huge marketing and this one isn't any different. MS got control of Activision in Oct/Nov of last year and Marketing activations for large brands especially stuff like Call of Duty is done quarters before the game is actually revealed so i'm sure MS had nothing to do with it and it's just them letting them operate business as usual.

It doesn't help the argument that MS' marketing for their own games have been in dogshit tier for ages, the last game from them that got a wide scale marketing push was Starfield (even that was probably mostly ran by Beth Marketing) and before that the best one I can remember was like Halo 4.

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
I expect him to almost word for word repeat what Jez said, about how there is no change in our exclusive strategy, this is just like Minecraft and COD, and it makes perfect sense for DOOM to be multiplatform. "It doesn't mean Xbox won't have any exclusives." LOL.

They will all eventually come but there is no reason for Microsoft to admit that if it's going to be a slow burn of some ports here and there until they can get their strategy kinks worked out. Just from a corporate standpoint, it makes no sense to kill game sales by announcing they're coming to other platforms before the port work is actually in a finished enough state. DOOM is further away and is ready to come out day and date, so they'll make up whatever exception they can to make it sound like it's just for this game.
Playground is killing it still with updates to FH5. I spent a couple of hours last night playing the new retro wave update and was hooked all over like the game just came out. The amount of effort they're putting into their updates is amazing almost 3 years later. They were such a perfect studio to invest it.
The best investment to returns ratio of all the studios purchased if you ask me.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I've never played dragon quest. What should I start with?

XI is a great game but if you have played games like Octopath Traveller or the Pixel Remasters then maybe check out the DQ HD2D remakes that are gonna be revealed soon, I assume they will also be released quite soon too (this year possibly)

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played dragon quest. What should I start with?

I'm far from an expert on the series, but DQ11 was the one that made me a fan. It's manages to feel both modern and traditional at the same time. DQ8 is also good and very charming, even if I find the encounters grating.

Don't start from the beginning, as DQ1 is about as basic as it gets today and is barely playable for anything other than historical reasons.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I'm far from an expert on the series, but DQ11 was the one that made me a fan. It's manages to feel both modern and traditional at the same time. DQ8 is also good and very charming, even if I find the encounters grating.

Don't start from the beginning, as DQ1 is about as basic as it gets today and is barely playable for anything other than historical reasons.

Agreed on the second paragraph. Old DQ is rough to replay. The DS remasters are visually great but really highlight some of the constraints that pre 2000 jrpgs had.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
It's not obvious at all. If they still intend to have GP be the driving force and grow, as of right now consoles remains their primary driver. If they pull the plug on GP then the console becomes much less interesting.
If GP is supposed to grow and is tied to consoles but they don't expect to grow consoles what is the logic for gamepass expanding?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If GP is supposed to grow and is tied to consoles but they don't expect to grow consoles what is the logic for gamepass expanding?

GP has yet to convert every Xbox owner to the service. So there is still room for growth in that sense. Consoles in the short term are still important to Microsoft because that is where the majority of subscribers are. Also, that is why they are adding COD to the service after all. In hopes of driving growth.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
GP has yet to convert every Xbox owner to the service. So there is still room for growth in that sense. Consoles in the short term are still important to Microsoft because that is where the majority of subscribers are. Also, that is why they are adding COD to the service after all. In hopes of driving growth.

If COD doesn't move the needle than no game ever will.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
They want to make game pass available on every screen to reach as many people as possible. There is actually no console needed. However selling consoles will help obviously.

SSoin your mind, their path forward depends on their competitors allowing them to put their service on their platform?

The existing userbase that's shrinking? What percentage of the current console base are not subscribed? Do we know? To me, you grow subscriptions with content. Until they get their pipeline in order and figured out I don't see GP having any sustained growth. CoD should help though.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
If COD doesn't move the needle than no game ever will.

Well I don't think it is that simple.

I think when it comes to gamepass, Microsoft is happy to play the long game. Originally that probably wasn't the case, they had ambitious targets, they expected consoles to do better, and xcloud to really take off. That hasn't happened, so now they have pivoted, but gamepass is still important, its just the future. When technology and network infrastructure has caught up, and more and more people are streaming, those are the people who have the mentality that they don't need to own games, subscription is where it is at. And Microsoft wants to be at the forefront of all that. Therefore I dont think growth right now is overly important (although they wouldnt be against it of course). Going multiplaform fits this long term vision.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
SSoin your mind, their path forward depends on their competitors allowing them to put their service on their platform?

The existing userbase that's shrinking? What percentage of the current console base are not subscribed? Do we know? To me, you grow subscriptions with content. Until they get their pipeline in order and figured out I don't see GP having any sustained growth. CoD should help though.

They haven't said what percentage of users are signed up. Microsoft have released two first party games in the last 2.5 years that have actually moved the needle (Starfield and Grounded) in terms of ten million+ players playing them. However third party releases have been strong with several titles charting very high on most played chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.