• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Developer_Direct title are you looking forward to the most?

• Ara: History Untold

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Avowed

Votes: 245 37.9%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 322 49.8%
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II

Votes: 64 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
If you want to talk about Microsoft leaving the console business then feel free to do it elsewhere. This thread is about Microsoft's 1P studios. Any further derailment on this will be met with threadbans.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
The thread about this rumor kind of drives home my point from earlier. Lots of Playstation and Switch owners asking for HiFi Rush and Grounded. If you don't make people make a hard decision, they simply won't make a hard decision. Sure these games are small, but they add up. And they have value.

" If it is HiFi Rush, why not Grounded? If it is Grounded, why not Pentiment? Why not all of them? I mean, we got Ori on Switch. I'm sure the others could come over. Who knows that else they might bring. I could sit out the Xbox because I have plenty to play on my Switch and some of the games on their system are releasing on my preferred platform. I can wait. It's not like they would start with Forza but who knows..."
If you give a mouse a cookie...

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Agreed, the potential benefits talked about in the podcast(based on the overview) weren't convincing. The idea that it would lead to people buying a sequel on Xbox or PC is nonsense. Why wouldn't they just assume that it's going to become multiplatform again?

Maybe after trying a game/series they'll like it enough to invest as opposed to having never tried it? It's much different seeing videos of a game and deciding to invest $500 than playing it yourself and falling for it.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
The game is cursed. It was moderately successful on a failed platform, was then ported to a successful platform where it failed, then got a sequel that failed. Best to just let Kat live out her days as Japan exclusive superhero/gaming merch and holiday art fodder. That's all Gravity Rush is good for.

Ain't got no disagreements from me, haven't ever played the games.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
TheUnsungHero26 posted more context from the podcast (I still need to listen to it but im listening to Xbox Two rn)

• Not Redfall lol
  • Nate: "View it from the perspective of Microsoft, as a business. If you're bringing select games multiplatform, outside of PC, to Switch and Playstation—your competitor's consoles—you're doing so because you want to expand its reach beyond that of just Xbox itself.
  • Pentiment is used as an example. If something like that is ported to Switch and PS, it's already a very well-received game that could sell well, and at this point, it's not driving Game Pass subscriptions. They play it and enjoy it, and then three years later when a sequel comes out, it's exclusive to Xbox/PC, so the only way to play it is to buy it on Xbox, or PC, which MS is ok with.
  • "Allows Microsoft to expand their ecosystem, and draw you in when the time is right."
  • Nate reiterates that a potential sequel would be exclusive.
  • "Microsoft could be partnering with an external publisher to bring the title [Nate] is referring to a multiplatform release."
    • He also says they may self-publish

Honestly, I think this could be Killer Instinct. Hi-Fi RUSH is too soon. Killer Instinct anniversary edition just released, they updated some aspects to it, we "know" they are trying to reinvigorate the brand/IP, PlayStation is a huge fighting platform and Sony owns freakin' EVO now.

Killer Instinct 2013 Anniversary Edition out on PlayStation and maybe even Switch 2.

Killer Instinct 2 exclusive?

Though the part about an external publisher bringing it to multiplatform or self-publishing seems... suspect for first-party games. That's like the thing you let a third party XGSP game run with (See: As Dusk Falls and Ori publishing on their own).

www.resetera.com

NateDrake: A critically acclaimed Xbox 1st party title will come to a competitor platform in 2024 (UP: WC says more titles could be ported as well)

Ok, so I finally had a chance to listen to the podcast (at least, the part on this topic) and there are a few additional points that give more context. It's not Redfall (lol) Nate: "View it from the perspective of Microsoft, as a business. If you're bringing select games multiplatform, outside...

Killer Instinct was not a GOTY contender in the same year as GTA 5 and The Last Of Us.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023

images

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Don't focus on the external publisher bit. It's just mentioned to cover all outcomes & was used as an example citing Ori WotW and As Dusk Falls as games using an external partner vs MS publishing Ori & the Blind Forest.
Is this the type of game that creates ambiguity for the stuff like Halo/Starfield/Hellblade/etc. or is this closer to an ADF?

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Maybe after trying a game/series they'll like it enough to invest as opposed to having never tried it? It's much different seeing videos of a game and deciding to invest $500 than playing it yourself and falling for it.

I've mentioned that in the past, release a game that is popular to other platforms late and has an exclusive sequel planned. Cost-benefit is very risky though.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
HiFi Rush for Gravity Rush. Gives all 3 people with Kat pfp's hope for a sequel from a non existent studio.
Honestly I'd be down for that. Gravity Rush is such an incredible franchise and tbh I'm still mad at Sony for killing Gravity Rush
I don't think Gravity Rush needs to fail on yet another platform.
Hey hey hey, if Sony actually felt like marketing Gravity Rush 2 it actually would have had a significant chance at success. It's an incredible game and yet it got next to no marketing and Sony just left it out alone to sell next to no copies. I guarantee though that if Sony actually went and ported Gravity Rush 2 to PC and/or Switch, the game would find some level of success.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
The thread about this rumor kind of drives home my point from earlier. Lots of Playstation and Switch owners asking for HiFi Rush and Grounded. If you don't make people make a hard decision, they simply won't make a hard decision. Sure these games are small, but they add up. And they have value.

" If it is HiFi Rush, why not Grounded? If it is Grounded, why not Pentiment? Why not all of them? I mean, we got Ori on Switch. I'm sure the others could come over. Who knows that else they might bring. I could sit out the Xbox because I have plenty to play on my Switch and some of the games on their system are releasing on my preferred platform. I can wait. It's not like they would start with Forza but who knows..."
I agree. Especially when people are already making that decision.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Honestly I'd be down for that. Gravity Rush is such an incredible franchise and tbh I'm still mad at Sony for killing Gravity Rush

Hey hey hey, if Sony actually felt like marketing Gravity Rush 2 it actually would have had a significant chance at success. It's an incredible game and yet it got next to no marketing and Sony just left it out alone to sell next to no copies. I guarantee though that if Sony actually went and ported Gravity Rush 2 to PC and/or Switch, the game would find some level of success.

Well, they're apparently making a movie based on the IP. Good time for a remaster and spreading it everywhere.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It was for different reasons, but Hellblade 2 and TOW 2 will be interesting tests of multiplatform games going exclusive for the sequel.

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
Exaaaaactly.

"Here is a game that was exclusive to Xbox! Try it out! But we will never bring the sequel to Playstation. We sure won't no matter what the metrics say. For realsies. pls bye xbox"
Yup, this is probably the reason why Sony has FF7 Remake exclusivity on lock until all 3 parts are out. If FF7R launched on Xbox in 2021 then everyone on Xbox would just thug out the 1 year late port for rebirth and part 3. If I was PS5 only and Hi-fi comes to my console with an announcement of Hi-Fi 2 only for xbox I'm not buying an xbox, I'm waiting for it to come to PS5 because clearly that strat works.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I for one would welcome Halo Infinite multiplayer on all platforms <3 but i understand why it will prob never

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Hey now, I liked Gravity Rush. It, KZ Mercenary and Teraway are the only reason I bought a Vita. But again, game is cursed. Kat can shift gravity but not away from the failure stuck to her Also Xbox doesn't have gyro so not sure how it would be played to its full potential.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
lol, I just thought of the port begging threads based around metrics of how any specific Xbox's first party games are perceived to be performing if they start doing this. I'm totally aware that this in particular is not a problem outside of extremely engaged communities like Resetera but it will be a new frontier of concern trolling. There will be brave trolls blazing new paths across forums and social media for years to come.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
lol, I just thought of the port begging threads based around metrics of how any specific Xbox's first party games are perceived to be performing if they start doing this. I'm totally aware that this in particular is not a problem outside of extremely engaged communities like Resetera but it will be a new frontier of concern trolling. There will be brave trolls blazing new paths across forums and social media for years to come.

Hellblade 2 review thread, "I'll wait for the PS5 version". It's Pandora's Box.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Exaaaaactly.

"Here is a game that was exclusive to Xbox! Try it out! But we will never bring the sequel to Playstation. We sure won't no matter what the metrics say. For realsies. pls bye xbox"
I mean they bought Bethesda so they could "deliver great exclusives on platforms where gamepass exists." If it's HFR that completely fits the bill. They already have so many great exclusives on GP on Playstation. Win/win.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
I can see further experimenting with some cross-platform releases, but anything for Switch 2 in 2024 is pure clown car to crazy town. Why would you help your competitor launch a brand new console?

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Definitely an Aaron Greenburg initiative then.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It's a path I wouldn't walk down personally but I'm not Phil Spencer.
Someone earlier in the thread said it might be coming from pressure above him (Satya and maybe Amy from the side) and I can't imagine any other reason to do it if you care about growing the Xbox ecosystem. It's pretty much a play for short-term extra quarterly cash at the expense of the Xbox brand imo.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Yes. Most folks would not look at an ADF and think "Halo is coming to PS/Switch" but might if it was Gears, just to give a hypothetical.
I wouldn't put it on the same tier as Halo/Gears but I'd put it higher than ADF. I wouldn't use the game in question as a barometer for MS' multiplat strategy, as it remains a case by case basis.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
I wonder if it's intentional that it doesn't seem like the game being ported was described as an Xbox (and PC) exclusive? And instead as a first party Xbox title. Would make me think of it being Psychonauts 2 coming to Switch in some way, since it was already on the Playstation ecosystem in some way.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this is probably the reason why Sony has FF7 Remake exclusivity on lock until all 3 parts are out. If FF7R launched on Xbox in 2021 then everyone on Xbox would just thug out the 1 year late port for rebirth and part 3. If I was PS5 only and Hi-fi comes to my console with an announcement of Hi-Fi 2 only for xbox I'm not buying an xbox, I'm waiting for it to come to PS5 because clearly that strat works.
We already saw this on a smaller and related level with Rise of the Tomb Raider being timed exclusive for a year.

PS4 folks just waited and IIRC the game had decent PS4 sales.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Someone earlier in the thread said it might be coming from pressure above him (Satya and maybe Amy from the side) and I can't imagine any other reason to do it if you care about growing the Xbox ecosystem. It's pretty much a play for short-term extra quarterly cash at the expense of the Xbox brand imo.

It damages the console 100%.

Sep 6, 2022
The game is cursed. It was moderately successful on a failed platform, was then ported to a successful platform where it failed, then got a sequel that failed. Best to just let Kat live out her days as Japan exclusive superhero/gaming merch and holiday art fodder. That's all Gravity Rush is good for.
We are more likely to see another Gravity Rush game than one starring the character in your profile pic, let's keep it a 💯

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It was for different reasons, but Hellblade 2 and TOW 2 will be interesting tests of multiplatform games going exclusive for the sequel.
"Hellblade 3 and TOW 3 were just announced. Why not put HB2 and TOW2 on Playstation and Switch? The first ones were on there and it's not like they are selling a ton of copies now. I could see it. They did bring over Hi-Fi Rush and Ori before the sequels. I sat out HB2 and TOW2 because I don't have an Xbox but I played the first ones and liked them. And who knows? Maybe the sequels will come to Playstation and Switch sooner?"

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I don't think the situation you're describing would lead to many sales. I think that it's a flawed concept
and not just because I can mostly tell if I'm going to like a game based on watching gameplay videos! Who of the people who played HiFi on PS5 and really enjoyed it is going to believe that the sequel is really an exclusive?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the podcast, the first party game has to be kind of "old" and have an incoming sequel because they talk a lot about how this could be an experiment to expand the franchise, create new users and "bait" them for the exclusive sequel.

That doesn't work to any significant extent and will never make up for the damage done to the platform. How do we know? Well, if it did, Nintendo and Sony would be bringing their old games to Xbox to bait for the sequel.

That's almost certainly not the reason, because they already know it doesn't work that way. It's to make more money and they're ok with the damage it does to Xbox the console, because it benefits Xbox the service by bringing in more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.