Which Developer_Direct title are you looking forward to the most?

• Ara: History Untold

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Avowed

Votes: 245 37.9%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 322 49.8%
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II

Votes: 64 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
If you want to talk about Microsoft leaving the console business then feel free to do it elsewhere. This thread is about Microsoft's 1P studios. Any further derailment on this will be met with threadbans.

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022
Imagine buying nearly 100 billion worth of studios in 5 years, and finally owning what you've been missing all your life: a portfolio of 43 great studios, including some of the world's best FPS and Western RPG studios.

That you finally have everything you need to overcome the Xbox One curse and release the best console generation ever.

And now that you finally have all this... you decide to release your games on other platforms.

Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Eduardo

Apr 26, 2023
There's no spinning for Sea of thieves, cmon people

Its the opposite case for Hi-Fi Rush

Someone rent is DUE at Microsoft

monarch10

Jun 23, 2022
This is an Xbox ARG. Porting Sea of Thieves is signaling a change in tides, winds of change. Porting Hi-Fi Rush is signaling they are changing rhythm and moving to their own beat. Kojima and OD must be part of the puzzle.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
you think another big purchase is incoming?

Soon, probably not. Eventually maybe. Not saying they would do it as a defence but it would look good to a regulator I suppose.

As for games going to other platforms, maybe they just hit a ceiling so why not let them be there played elsewhere, it's not that shocking.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
People aren't melting down because other people get to play more games, its because the money they have invested in the Xbox ecosystem is looking to have been if not wasted then poorly spent.

If next generation I have the choice between PS6 and a new Xbox, and the PS6 gets all the Xbox games but the Xbox doesn't get the PS games then I will only get the PS6. Which in turn means the library of games I bought on Xbox will disappear.

Game Pass on its own is not enough of a reason to buy an Xbox (especially one that will likely have less third-party titles due to an even lower market share).
This. And I'm more angry at myself for making the poor choice to go with Xbox rather than continually upgrading my PC than I am at Microsoft, right now.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
Would a future Xbox being a custom PC be a viable solution to all this? Legit question: could it be called xbox and be able to run all Sony games ported to pc?

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023

When MS decided to do zero marketing to it and just drop it out of nowhere, it was expected that the game could "flop". If they really wanted the game to succeeded, they should've started the marketing in the 2022 E3 conference, keep people expectations on high note and then launched it out of nowhere in january.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
When MS decided to do zero marketing to it and just drop it out of nowhere, it was expected that the game could "flop". If they really wanted the game to succeeded, they should've started the marketing in the 2022 E3 conference, keep people expectations on high note and then launched it out of nowhere in january.
The result would be exactly the same, at least in player engagement and more.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I find it very odd coming off the WC rumor where Phil shut down Tim Stuart's comments less than a month ago to suddenly pivot their strategy in such a huge way.
If I had to guess, what Tim said may have been more or less true. Of course we'll see, but a lot of times when there's smoke there's fire. But it wouldn't be the first time where he brought something up that hadn't fully been decided or had it's messaging planned out, and Phil had to go shut it down. Remember the same crap happened with Bethesda back in the day.

I think the truth is basically they've decided that porting some year's old games is more or less harmless, and would have little to no effect on console sales, but would make them a lot of money. I think that thinking is probably right, the effect of individual exclusives is way overstated by the public and especially era bubble types and twitter warriors. But like PianoBlack said, I think they greatly underestimate what this will do with their messaging. I don't even think them coming out and saying that this is a one time thing, don't expect any other ports will make a difference - no one will ever believe a word they say on the subject anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Things I want from Xbox this year:
  • Media remote
  • Wireless earbuds
  • New wireless headset with a big battery
  • Elite 3 (with a two year warranty built in, as a sign of improved quality)
  • Adapter allowing stock m2 drives to work in expansion port
That's about it. With FFXIV finally arriving on Xbox soon, I'm more than happy with third party and first party software support.
An elite 3 and earbuds would be such a win for me.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I do think the reactions online are strong enough that they will reconsider any decision they might have made one more time. But I bet we'll learn sooner than later what's going to be the path forward.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really annoyed about producing "rumors" in the way "I heard something from someone."
I'm tired of seeing all these rumors coming out.
I'm starting to think that MS needs to comment officially on this situation to clear things up.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
John Johanas has explained why they did the shadow drop many times. They were worried about people souring on it over time based on appearances and because it isn't The Evil Within, and that it would get overshadowed by bigger games.

It's easy to say in hindsight that it may have been the wrong decision, but at the time with the information they had, I understand why they did it. They owned the news cycle for days if not weeks.

krakenking189

Feb 21, 2021
If I had to guess, what Tim said may have been more or less true. Of course we'll see, but a lot of times when there's smoke there's fire. But it wouldn't be the first time where he brought something up that hadn't fully been decided or had it's messaging planned out, and Phil had to go shut it down. Remember the same crap happened with Bethesda back in the day.

I think the truth is basically they've decided that porting some year's old games is more or less harmless, and would have little to no effect on console sales, but would make them a lot of money. I think that thinking is probably right, the effect of individual exclusives is way overstated by the public and especially era bubble types and twitter warriors. But like PianoBlack said, I think they greatly underestimate what this will do with their messaging. I don't even think them coming out and saying that this is a one time thing, don't expect any other ports will make a difference - no one will ever believe a word they say on the subject anymore.
They need to come out and just say something. It doesn't need to be a lot just solidifying what is happening and give us an idea of what's happening for the brand because people are rightfully concerned which is valid. Overreactions on the other hand, kinda embarrassing

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020

View: https://imgur.com/a/d3ZNMt7

This company never fails to amazes me with utter shit messaging and to think they'll wonder why they'll never capture back or grow their console market. Im just waiting to see how they blunder on marketing cod. I don't care if it hasn't yet the fact that they are considering or did is so fucking annoying

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Why are people melting down over more people getting to play more video games?
Eh, I'm not melting down, but if MS is porting more first party titles to other platforms is does make me a bit disappointed because it might mean that Xbox, the platform might not be long for this world.

Ultimately it doesn't matter but at the same time I grew up on Xbox so it'll make me a bit sad is all of that ends up happening

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Feels like the dawn of a new age for Xbox. If these rumours we are hearing are true, if Xbox is going third party, then getting a Playsation is a no-brainer tbh.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
After the positive reaction to Blade's annoucement without any Xbox branding (Marvel Channel's Youtube views) , MS imo is believing too much on the "Xbox Tax" stuff, the brand is just not worth building to match Nintendo and Playstation, specially outside the US.

So the solution is to meet new customers on those stronger brands, like they already do on Steam, pushing these customers to their hardcore and much smaller walled garden by using FOMO on timed exclusives sequels with game pass day one value gain.

I expect at this point the entire first party back catalog everywhere, creating a new "Phil's loophole", why buy a new Xbox when I could wait a year to play this game on my PS?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's unconfirmed, but I think that the writing has been on the wall for a while and this year we could see things accelerating.

I think that going (almost) full third party is how the next big acquisition is likely to happen for them.

At the same time, going (almost) multiplatform while being a platform holder (because Xbox as hardware is not going away) is going to be super interesting from an industry perspective. I guess that Xbox will be the best place to use Game Pass and the first where games from MS will be available, while they offer their games almost everywhere in time.

I wonder if Xbox hardware getting closer and closer to a PC is one way to make the transition easier for third party publishers.

MS is going to turn the gaming industry upside down :p

And although I understand the disappointment, I think that exciting times are ahead for everyone (because Sony and Nintendo will have to rethink their approach sooner or later).
Loving this approach. Xbox has always been a mid tier PC, so Xbox becoming more like Steam, but available on every possible platform is fine.

Obviously won't have a launcher on PlayStation or Nintendo but the games will just land on their systems years late and will be the most expensive option.

Fanboys will lose their shit. Sony and Nintendo will have to figure out their strategy if Xbox brand starts gaining mindshare. Average consumer will have more options to play games wherever they want.

This OT will literally be volcanic though and I'm here for it.

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
To be frank, this all sounds like Microsoft teeing up another acquisition.

They can show everyone (regulators) how they like to share. They can show that the 'others' don't like to share. Boom. Another publisher.

NJ@Xbox

May 10, 2021
Hi all, kind of a silent lurker but there might be more to this

Here's a train of thought:

Xbox brings all 1st party exclusives to PS/Nintendo BUT plans to keep them full price for longer time and without bringing them Day 1 but after 6 months or so (example: SoT 60$, Starfield 70$)
OR
Markets them with an option to buy them on GP for PC or GP for Console for 10$/month(for existing Xbox console users) to play them Day 1

This way, they mint money with full price releases on competing platforms who show higher tendency to buy 70$ games + build new communities that start liking Xbox as a publisher + gets brand recognition

As GP starts firing consistently with ABK/Bethesda/Xbox Studios in 2024 and beyond, GP becomes even more desirable which inevitably makes buying an Xbox console as attractive as before since it's the most affordable place to play their exclusive games with GP Day 1.

Xbox would also make tonnes of revenue from competing platform users (who never would have bought an Xbox anyway i.e., 2 generations proved this: Xbox One/Series X/S) which can be invested to make even more games for GP/get 3rd party games on GP

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I actually think moves like those rumoured/speculated might make that more likely, not less. Reading a post by open_mouth_ in the other thread about this being a roadmap to MS being the biggest game company in the world - and it got me thinking, that it could be easy for MS to see Xbox exclusivity as one of the biggest risk factors for that goal, and maybe it's the start of a hedge against that risk. In a similar vein, if you're actively supplying competitor platforms, arguments about foreclosure in a regulatory context might weaken - weaken exactly the kind of arguments that could get in the way of further big acquisitions.
Good point.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
In this thread, moments of doom and gloom are quite common. However, I think, at least for me, I hadn't experienced one of such intensity until now. Does anyone who has more years of experience than me remember a similar one?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What if stephen totilo is correct and season 11 of SoT will make it f2p

I dont think it will bc they have enough server issues as it stands and it sells very well often going on sale for $20 on steam. Thats a lot of money to give up bc how many are reallt gonna buy mtx in sot

Status
Not open for further replies.