• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Developer_Direct title are you looking forward to the most?

• Ara: History Untold

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Avowed

Votes: 245 37.9%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 322 49.8%
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II

Votes: 64 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
If you want to talk about Microsoft leaving the console business then feel free to do it elsewhere. This thread is about Microsoft's 1P studios. Any further derailment on this will be met with threadbans.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Why acquire SEGA when you can become SEGA.

More like Tencent.

Microsoft wanna be the number 1 in gaming and in order to do that without facing regulatory scrutiny at every turn, they will go full multiplatform and acquire more devs/pubs.

Xbox as a platform will be here. As for their console business, I don't think it will exist as a traditional console like today's hardware.

Call me crazy but that's where I'm currently at. 🫣

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost count the amount of times I've seen two people arguing in this thread both citing different quotes from Phil Spencer to support their opposing arguments. There was no comment today because he needed time to write up his greasy talking points.

I only want to hear from Tim Stuart tomorrow. He's the only one who tells the truth.

T0kenAussie

Banned
Jan 15, 2020
More like Tencent.

Microsoft wanna be the number 1 in gaming and in order to do that without facing regulatory scrutiny at every turn, they will go full multiplatform and acquire more devs/pubs.

Xbox as a platform will be here. As for their console business, I don't think it will exist as a traditional console like today's hardware.

Call me crazy but that's where I'm currently at. 🫣
You are 15 years too early

The next gen console is already beginning to nail down the final chip design down probably and soon we will see rumours of dev kits arriving at first party studios and then third party partners

Xbox won't be in a box anymore though. It will have Multiplatform plans and exclusive content plans and I think just like before how they thread this needle to get everyone off their high horses to understand that is going to be key

Maybe they are going to be 4th party :p (1+3)

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
MS setting up things up nicely for the next big acquisition. Bring on more ports I say

kronk-oh-yeah-its-all-coming-together.gif
If they do acquire another publisher it will most likely be a Japanese publisher.

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Wow, this thread escalated quickly!

Letting older games out of the pen to make more money makes sense. But IMO Hi-Fi Rush would be a mistake strategically at this point, as its too new, and more importantly is not Xbox-branded (its a Bethesda game, not an XGS game). It would also give the (unfounded) impression that for all games under the "independent subsidiaries" (Bethesda, ABK, whoever else gets acquired in the future), it's just a matter of waiting until you get a port, which is a bad message to send. The knock on effect on console sales would also be very damaging for Xbox specific third party support.

However, there is one way I can see this going that would actually work for them - what if the next Xbox console is... actually just a fixed spec, cost controlled PC? The days of Xbox getting shafted on third party titles would effectively be over, as a PC port is a non-negotiable thing in the modern 3P market (thanks to Steam). If the cost to "port" a game to Xbox would be as low/simple as "porting" a game from Steam to EGS, then I see a lot of takers even with a reduced install base. Edit: In this example, the Xbox would work a lot like the Steam Deck presently does, where its a lower spec within the PC ecosystem that devs could target to generate more sales.

Bitterman

Nov 25, 2017
No one really "waits" for a port. Its such a ridiculous thing I keep hearing. You buy what you want to buy and then you play whatever fancies your eye in the gazillion games available. Forum nerds are so out of touch with reality its incredible honestly.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
Microsoft needs only one thing now, and that's patience. Let your studios cook and release games that are great. Have amazing 2024, even better 2025, continue that streak in 2026, then release next console and see the results. If people are not interested in those games that are also available day one on Game Pass then I don't know what to say.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, the problem is not turning yourself a third party with its own console. The problem is losing the appeal to buy your console and a decline in sales can drive away the few thirds remaining. Or is micro paying a port of every third party game? Or is the end game a gamepass machine with first party only and some indies?

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
No one really "waits" for a port. Its such a ridiculous thing I keep hearing. You buy what you want to buy and then you play whatever fancies your eye in the gazillion games available. Forum nerds are so out of touch with reality its incredible honestly.

Can relate. I felt like playing FF7R on a console. My PS5 was an impulsive buy, same goes for the switch 🥲

Dabcelwero25

Oct 6, 2021
I think it's exactly the opposite.

There are a lot of games to play, a lot of GaaS/F2P that you can spend hundreds of hours on.

90%-95% are going to wait for the game to come out on the platform that they already own.

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I'm also a PC gamer, and the PC gaming community has been "waiting on ports" for as long as I've been alive. It's a thing.

People have waited for games to get released on Steam instead of buying on EGS. People will wait for GTAVI's console exclusivity to end to play it on PC. Etc, etc.

The point is, you dont want to send the message that this will be the way of things moving forward, it's bad marketing.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I think it's exactly the opposite.

There are a lot of games to play, a lot of GaaS/F2P that you can spend hundreds of hours on.

90%-95% are going to wait for the game to come out on the platform that they already own.
Both of you are right …..not everyone are the same and many will wait ….but many will buy it day one too.
we are billions of people in this world 😀

Dabcelwero25

Oct 6, 2021
I feel like some of you have turned against Spencer, but I am 100% sure this decision wasn't his call.

He wanted all Bethesda games to be exclusive, even after closing ABK he only mentioned that COD would be multiplatform (he didn't say anything about other franchises).

This shit is Tim Stuart and the bean counters who have no idea of the value of a brand, and the damage it can suffer.
They were probably the same ones who doubled the price of Xbox Live Gold at the beginning of the gen.

Bitterman

Nov 25, 2017
I'm also a PC gamer, and the PC gaming community has been "waiting on ports" for as long as I've been alive. It's a thing.

People have waited for games to get released on Steam instead of buying on EGS. People will wait for GTAVI's console exclusivity to end to play it on PC. Etc, etc.

The point is, you dont want to send the message that this will be the way of things moving forward, it's bad marketing.
Rockstar literally delays the pc port coz they know people will double dip. If someone is REALLY interested in a game, they'll buy the hardware. Only reason not to is budget.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar literally delays the pc port coz they know people will double dip. If someone is REALLY interested in a game, they'll buy the hardware. Only reason not to is budget.

For a lot of people, that is a pretty significant reason.

Most people only own one console.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I feel like some of you have turned against Spencer, but I am 100% sure this decision wasn't his call.

He wanted all Bethesda games to be exclusive, even after closing ABK he only mentioned that COD would be multiplatform (he didn't say anything about other franchises).

This shit is Tim Stuart and the bean counters who have no idea of the value of a brand, and the damage it can suffer.
They were probably the same ones who doubled the price of Xbox Live Gold at the beginning of the gen.

They're probably also the same people who signed off on Xbox's recent growth. There was always going to be performance demands attached to those spending sprees.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022

For me, it'll never ever be anything personal against any individual executive, even Stuart or anyone else referred to as a bean counter, but how the corporation's actions will affect me in the long term.

Which means no malice toward any individual person, but also not paying attention to anyone trying to belittle concerns of people who have something to lose in the ecosystem they invested in.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Uh...what? People wait for ports all the time. That's why companies bother with them. A lot of us were waiting for FFXIV for years and will only be able to play next month.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
SEGA is the 5+ years in the making long play
I'll never understand this forum's hopeful wish with wanting Microsoft to acquire Sega, people have been posting it for years and it's tiring seeing it repeated year after year.

Can't the two just have a strong relationship? Sega doesn't need to be bought, nor do we need it to happen.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They hit the emergency meeting today to put out the good news distraction

Amogus

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
curious was this the same reaction when ori went multiplat and cuphead? I wasnt following at that time

Oct 27, 2017

These are my thoughts as well. At the end of the day, we can't forget that this is a business/corporation and as such, Microsoft needs to see a hefty ROI from all the money they've sunk into the Xbox division. And as we all know, they've sunk A LOT into the Xbox division. They will do whatever is necessary to recoup the costs, with the goal obviously being a hefty ROI. While some/many may not like the possible direction they're taking Xbox, as a corporation, they'll do what they think is best in order to get the best ROI.

And as Jez and Klobrille hinted at, it does look like we'll get some good news soon. So, hopefully, that will calm things down a bit.

Last edited:

Bitterman

Nov 25, 2017
Uh...what? People wait for ports all the time. That's why companies bother with them. A lot of us were waiting for FFXIV for years and will only be able to play next month.
Should have said "the majority" instead of " no one" in my post lol.

Like Persona or FF fans defacto console is the PS and its why Sony locks (or used to lock) these games down. If you're telling me a Halo/gears/forza/future xbox blockbuster fan will simply buy a switch/ps and wait for its port then I'm sorry but that isn't going to happen.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Should have said "the majority" instead of " no one" in my post lol.

Like Persona or FF fans defacto console is the PS and its why Sony locks (or used to lock) these games down. If you're telling me a Halo/gears/forza/future xbox blockbuster fan will simply buy a switch/ps and wait for its port then I'm sorry but that isn't going to happen.

Once they open the door for first party on Playstation/Nintendo, they will wait.

On the other hand, no one will wait for Nintendo and PlayStation exclusives on Xbox because these two set the standards and expectations pretty well.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
The former, I think. I also think this one has the potential to be even better than last years DD. And I rated that 9/10.
Hope they do a abk drop on gamepass !
I want cod and Diablo 4.

About games for the dd, i Can clearly sée avowed , towerbone with a release in the the next 4 weeks , hellblade 2 ans zenimax New IP.

ryzz

Oct 23, 2018
last year did they announce the games featured in the direct with the announcement? Or will we find out the games featured in the direct itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.