Which Developer_Direct title are you looking forward to the most?

• Ara: History Untold

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Avowed

Votes: 245 37.9%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 322 49.8%
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II

Votes: 64 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
If you want to talk about Microsoft leaving the console business then feel free to do it elsewhere. This thread is about Microsoft's 1P studios. Any further derailment on this will be met with threadbans.

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Not everyone who's expressing excitement or will buy the game was "waiting" for it. They just see a good game coming and they plan to buy it that's it.
Also xbox peeps who wait for ports are very much the minority. That phenomena doesn't happen on a mass-scale.
Which is... kind of the point?

The idea is, if you can *expect* every Xbox game to come to other consoles eventually, then there's no real need to pick up an Xbox for the average joe.

Your position was that if people really want to buy a game, theyre just going to pick it up straight away, including any hardware they need to play it. Which would be a fair point... if the narrative that every game is going to get a port later on wasn't already being spread. Hell, apparently KFGD is already speculating that Blade will be a one year exclusive, and that game is like *four years away*. It reinforces the idea that a platform other than your own is a one stop shop, and yours isnt.

The idea of paying 400 to 500 dollars plus the cost of a game or an XGP sub to play a single game might make sense for hardcore folks like the people who post on here, but it certainly isnt the case for more infrequent/casual customers.

Jul 28, 2020
I still find it hard to believe that people working at Xbox could possibly have believed that their exclusive line up so far for the Series consoles constitutes a serious attempt at shifting marketshare and they've concluded there's no point to continue to try.

Would be bizarre to see any sentiment of "we tried but it didn't work out" because it falls apart on first inspection.

No big launch title, only tent pole releases in first two years were Halo and Forza (not exactly bringing in new users). Followed two years later with Starfield and another Forza. So their "attempt" has been one blockbuster game that appeals outside of Halo/Forza.

I agree, recent years have been defined by waiting for Microsoft's hundreds of development studios to actually finish some games. There'll be some irony if Microsoft are ready to finally release the games that'll make their platform attractive but decide to put them everywhere else as well, or kinda worse, release them with such uncertainty over which platforms they'll be released on that it doesn't give the platform the boost it should.

If it turns out Microsoft have made all their exclusives worthless by making everyone think they'll all be on PlayStation down the line, just so they can sell a few more copies of Hifi Rush then this will be a warning to other platforms about what can and can't be flirted with.

Last edited:

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
My final predictions for the DD:

Games announced ahead of time for it - Hellblade, Avowed, Towerborne, South of Midnight.

Secret game (like HFR last year) - Kiln by Double Fine.

Hellblade will get a May date and Towerborne will be March or April. Avowed and South of Midnight will just be 2024 and we'll get fall dates at the summer showcase.

Uncertain about Kiln shadow drop but I'm going to say yes.

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021

Games announced ahead of time for it - Hellblade, Avowed, Towerborne, South of Midnight.

Hellblade will get a May date and Towerborne will be March or April. Avowed and South of Midnight will just be 2024 and we'll get fall dates at the summer showcase.

I think the shadow drop could be Towerborne beta.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023

This + Starfield & TESO stuff

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Blessing said he wouldn't be surprised that Blade will be a year late on PlayStation. You could say that is due to Hi-Fi Rush rumors yes.

But Microsoft have still not outright stated any platforms Blade will release on. We have seen leaked documents sure (that Phil Spencer also called dated) but no official confirmation. OD was the exact same.

I think it's pretty obvious something has changed in the last few months internally or since those leaked documents. What that is only Microsoft can say. Hopefully they clear things up soon. It's interesting how distinct Bethesda still is after all this time so I wouldn't be surprised at anything they decide to do with them at this point. But I think we'll know sooner rather than later.

OD_Koji

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2023
Blessing said he wouldn't be surprised that Blade will be a year late on PlayStation. You could say that is due to Hi-Fi Rush rumors yes.

But Microsoft have still not outright stated any platforms Blade will release on. We have seen leaked documents sure (that Phil Spencer also called dated) but no official confirmation. OD was the exact same.

I think it's pretty obvious something has changed in the last few months internally or since those leaked documents. What that is only Microsoft can say. Hopefully they clear things up soon. It's interesting how distinct Bethesda still is after all this time so I wouldn't be surprised at anything they decide to do with them at this point. But I think we'll know sooner rather than later.
What changed was the ABK acquisition. They're treading carefully due to FTC looking for a gotcha and CMA homing in on their AI control, MS cant be seen solely pushing their services and want to show they're working with competitors. I do think they need to change operations or at least give that impression due to increased regulatory interest. You may say iits just Xbox, but as we saw from regulatory findings its everything that props up Xbox, Windows, Azure, and now AI , it feels like they're pro actively manoeuvring to disprove the bets they made years ago are going to put them too far ahead of everyone.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I think we might get a larger D_D this time

1st / 2nd party titles
- towerborne with a feb release and a playable beta version launched the day after
- south of midnight with a coming later 2024
- avowed with a coming later 2024
- hellblade 2 with a May / June release date
- are history untold pc march 2024 and console tba 2024

Live service titles
- ESO new expansion
- FO 76 big map expansion
- Halo seasonal update with a teaser screen for a June announcement (tatanka)

Third parties
- stalker 2 launch April 2024

onesvenus

May 27, 2018
That has nothing to do with 1st party ip going to other platforms on a case by case basis.
Of course it has. 1st party ip going to other platforms -> less console sales -> … -> Not worth investing on a new console -> Not being able to play my digital games anymore

The funny thing to me is I hear people say that they've spent all this money and nothing has changed so they've got to change again.

Because most of their purchases haven't even released exclusive games yet. Not to mention having a two year gap between blockbuster releases for a console that's only been out just over 3 years. Couldn't possibly wonder why game pass is stagnant and console sales are poor lol

This claimed reasoning can't possibly be Microsoft's actual rationale because it's too stupid, expanding to be more multi platform must have been their strategy the entire time. Theres no way they thought press releases for acquisitions would push consoles and subs instead of games actually releasing.
Exactly

This doom and gloom I'm reading is so fucking stupid. Xbox isn't gonna die cause hi-fi rush is on other consoles. No one was buying an Xbox solely for hi-fi rush.

Leaked roadmap already shows hardware planned into the 2030's.

They are not "abandoning" hardware.

Stop making up fan fictions
It's not a single game, it's the image it shows of their commitment to their console. I won't buy an Xbox if most of their games release on PS.

I genuinely do wish we lived in a time where it was acceptable to see Halo MCC and Halo Infinite (at least the multiplayer part of it...) and Sea of Thieves, etc, on other platforms. I would rather see Halo Infinite flourish with a larger player base to an audience that might have never experienced Halo multiplayer than have it languish
The thing is that this is single sided, and that's where the problem lies.

No one really "waits" for a port. Its such a ridiculous thing I keep hearing. You buy what you want to buy and then you play whatever fancies your eye in the gazillion games available. Forum nerds are so out of touch with reality its incredible honestly.
Nobody waits for a port because you know Nintendo and Sony games won't be ported to any other consoles. If the prospect is buying a PS6 with all their first party games plus some of the Xbox ones, why would I buy an Xbox?

The idea is, if you can *expect* every Xbox game to come to other consoles eventually, then there's no real need to pick up an Xbox for the average joe.
Exactly

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
What I found more infuriating is that if all your strategy revolves around gamepass, I still need to see any TV commercial ad (at least here in Europe) explaining what is a xbox and what benefits gives a gp subscription. The xbox marketing is terrible at all levels.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
My one wish for the Developer Direct is that they drop the underscore from its stylised title - seeing it abbreviated as 'D_D' bugs me (which is definitely a me problem, I'm well aware!).

Stylised logos/brand names leading to common language conventions being eschewed triggers me. Much of the Australian print media drove me nuts for years printing 'Silverchair' with a lower-case 's', as far as I could tell, simply due to the band stylising it this way on an album cover. Sheer madness, I tell you!

One wouldn't use the abbreviation 'D D' (with a space) if the Developer Direct was stylised as simply that.

Back to lurking and yelling at clouds. This thread has been a fun watch in recent days - some true classics for the scrapbook.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
What I found more infuriating is that if all your strategy revolves around gamepass, I still need to see any TV commercial ad (at least here in Europe) explaining what is a xbox and what benefits gives a gp subscription. The xbox marketing is terrible at all levels.

I know that someone from Xbox in France was asked about the lack of marketing efforts (saying that they're mainly aiming Twitch and sponsored adverts in social networks), but I wish a journalist would ask Phil about that. I don't think he was ever asked about that, and I would love to hear what he has to say.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I am not here to doom and gloom or console warring nonsense but I think Xbox has two future. And I don't know which will happen.

1. Xbox slowly abandoning day 1 Game Pass releases and returning back to console exclusive. Aiming for higher console market share along with PC release after 0-2 years.

2. Xbox going to third party in far future. They can easily become the leading game publisher. MS is software company at core. They can easily sell millions of games on PC, PS, Nintendo and mobile.

Bengraven