Votes: 51 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
It's from a Jeff Grubb article from June 2021, so the information within a reasonable time window of June is accurate. And it's also worth noting that the Nvidia leaks had 2022 dates for Hellblade 2 (September 30 2022), Contraband (11/15/22), Perfect Dark (12/8/22) and Avowed (12/7/22).

So it's pretty possible that some games slip or are pushed back, for example Everwilds has already been leaked out to be a 2024 game and is listed as such in the Nvidia leak.

If I had to guess, inXile's game will probably be pushed back since that had a December 2023 release date listed. I don't see Fable getting pushed back since it had 2 entries in the database (one under it's codename of Project Holland and the other as Fable 4) which had different release dates almost a year apart, so we're likely going to actually get Fable around October 2023

Yeah, it runs better on Series X, because the One X had a performance mode option for 60fps while the PS4 Pro didn't, so you can play Witcher 3 in dynamic 4k60 on XSX but not PS5.

But there's a next gen update coming up, so depending on when you plan on playing it you might want to wait.

I started my fiancee on a PC version. She loves the game and put 100+ hours into it. But we lost the save and consoles are more convenient. She might just play the parts she's already played prior to the upgrade. I'm hoping it comes soon.

Jul 17, 2018
I feel the next wave of acquisitions is going to be small indie devs that make E rated content. Or Microsoft poaching devs from publishers. For example Crystal and Eidos(which would be good choices), because SE seems to have been uninterested in western gaming from what I can tell. Or Netherrealm or Avalanche from WB.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Last time that there was new XGS Business integration director that was to lead BGS Integration 👀

2 month ago they added new one 👀 Acquisitions incoming ?

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the next wave of acquisitions is going to be small indie devs that make E rated content. Or Microsoft poaching devs from publishers. For example Crystal and Eidos(which would be good choices), because SE seems to have been uninterested in western gaming from what I can tell. Or Netherrealm or Avalanche from WB.
I feel like they'll have a big acquisition this year. I think the WB stuff or something similar. Something that will cause waves.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
I hope Xbox has some big news for the 1st half of the year if STALKER 2 is delayed. Really hope

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I had no confidence in Stalker making the date, so I'm not surprised by the rumors. I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed to Fall 2022, then delayed again to early 2023.

That like saying they wouldn't drop Quake and a Halo game in the same year just because they're both shooters. Why? There's no reason they couldn't. Avowed in March and Fable in November (hypotheticals) is plenty of separation for "similar" games.
I agree that it would be plenty of separation for two WRPGs. But I don't really believe that Avowed might release in March 2023. In fact, I suspect the first half of 2023 will be as dry for Xbox first party as 2021 and 2022 are, with 2-3 big games launching in the second half of the year, so it seems unlikely that Avowed and Fable both will release in late 2023. One of them will likely be an early 2024 game.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I had no confidence in Stalker making the date, so I'm not surprised by the rumors. I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed to Fall 2022, then delayed again to early 2023.

I agree that it would be plenty of separation for two WRPGs. But I don't really believe that Avowed might release in March 2023. In fact, I suspect the first half of 2023 will be as dry for Xbox first party as 2021 and 2022 are, with 2-3 big games launching in the second half of the year, so it seems unlikely that Avowed and Fable both will release in late 2023. One of them will likely be an early 2024 game.
They weren't real dates, just hypotheticals to illustrate an 8 month gap within the same year being totally acceptable imo

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
They weren't real dates, just hypotheticals to illustrate an 8 month gap within the same year being totally acceptable imo
I see. In that case, I agree. At some point we'll definitely see 2 WRPGs releasing in the same year; I just don't think 2023 will be the year. 2024 could be, with one of Avowed/Fable and the InXile game. Or 2025 could be, with TOW2 in early 2025 and TES VI in Fall 2025 (or maybe both will release in 2026). Either way, starting from 2024-25, 2 RPGs a year will happen once in a while, considering how many RPG studios Microsoft has.

Besides, not every RPG will be huge. Obsidian's and InXile's RPGs will likely be smaller in scope than BGS and Playground's. There's no reason they can't coexist in the same year.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Also, I asked this before but is TC's new IP being made by a small team?

Smaller than the Gears team? Sure, only because I doubt it has campaign AND PvP multiplayer AND PvE multiplayer AND campaign coop. But people are way overplaying the "smallness" of this. It's an entirely new AAA UE5 project from the Coalition, not a tech demo or tiny demo game or whatever other weird ideas I've seen.

23 studios and like 7 known publishing projects - there are no more dry halves with possible exception of early 2022.

To take just one, if Hellblade 2 doesn't drop this year then it's early 2023. You don't show an extended gameplay trailer 19+ months out.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I super agree with you that Xbox should have its own JRPG studio. I don't really think they need to go to bat against Final Fantasy right away, or even on the level of Persona really. I'd be thrilled to see Mistwalker or a similarly sized studio putting out more classic kinda JRPGs instead of big flashy Final Fantasy level stuff.

I hear the arguments of the declining non-Switch console sales in Japan, or the comparably low sales of the big genre hitters compared to like Western RPGs or shooters or whatever else. They're not strictly incorrect arguments, but I will always offer the same rebutles.

A) Japan isn't the only marker for Japanese games. They're popular in pretty much every major market to some extent, and becoming more popular in a lot of them.
B) Even if Final Fantasy can't outsell The Witcher or Cyberpunk anymore, it's still selling. And theres a lot of people who /only/ play JRPGs. Those people aren't gonna subscribe to Game Pass regardless of how much better Elder Scrolls 6 sells than Persona 6.
C) I don't really care what's good business for Microsoft, I'm not Phil Spencer. I like JRPGs, so I want to see more of them get made. And frankly it's a little weird how many people respond in financial terms when someone says they want a specific game or kind of game. Like dude, let people be fans, Christ.

Bbbbbbbuuuuutttttt. All of that being said, there are other 3rd party JRPG studios that Microsoft could go to for RPGs that aren't Square. Falcom, Atlus, Koei Tecmo to name a few. Atelier and Persona or Trails don't command the same history as Final Fantasy I'm sure, but they're worth throwing money and resources at for ports and Game Pass if you ask me (see point C as to why no one's gonna ask me anyway).

Frankly Japanese studios are some of the only studios I really engage in "fantasy acquisition league" talk about. It's a major gap in the Xbox first party and in Xbox's library in general that I'd love to see filled. Thinking about acquisitions like that actually usually excites me, unlike most of those talks with ranges from boring me to terrifying or enraging me. Also Krome, because Ty the Tasmanian Tiger deserves a new lease on life.

Yeah agree with all of this.

Xbox should be tapping other JRPG makers like the ones you listed as well as Sega for ports of Sakura Wars, Valkyria Chronicles, and maybe even help develop other properties like Phantasy Star & Skies of Arcadia with new iterations or remakes.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
23 studios and like 7 known publishing projects - there are no more dry halves with possible exception of early 2022.

To take just one, if Hellblade 2 doesn't drop this year then it's early 2023. You don't show an extended gameplay trailer 19+ months out.
Hellblade 2's extended gameplay is a vertical slice of the game, something NT do before the game goes in full production. In late June 2021 the game was still in pre-production and they were working on the vertical slice that they showed us at TGA:

"According to Ninja Theory creative director Tameem Antoniades, the studios is currently working on a "good chunky slice" of Hellblade 2, before moving onto full production. They're still in pre-production now, scanning locations and drawing on satellite data from Iceland."

There's no evidence that H2 is an early 2023 game. I expect it to release in Summer 2023.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Hellblade 2's extended gameplay is a vertical slice of the game, something NT do before the game goes in full production. In late June 2021 the game was still in pre-production and they were working on the vertical slice that they showed us at TGA:

"According to Ninja Theory creative director Tameem Antoniades, the studios is currently working on a "good chunky slice" of Hellblade 2, before moving onto full production. They're still in pre-production now, scanning locations and drawing on satellite data from Iceland."

There's no evidence that H2 is an early 2023 game. I expect it to release in Summer 2023.

Similarly, there's no evidence that H2 is a late 2023 game. I expect it to release early 2023.

Late and early just referring to first and second halves of the year here, as you seemed to be doing originally. I'm not sure if summer counts as early or late to you.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played a Motorsport game since 4. What are people wanting out of this series in a post Horizon world? Genuinely curious about the state of the series.

For me: Visuals, simulation, AI and last but not least...the replay cameras.

Visually- I don't think I'll have much to worry about. The teaser looked better than i hoped...and i reckon it'll get there or look better. Big wish... the environment needs to come to life. Hopefully they do some really neat tricks with the weather and trackside detail. Also...cockpit view. I like the little stuff like the paddles/stick working when you shift..the driver hands looking appropriate etc.

Simulation- They've mentioned a little about it already with the suspension/tire overhaul. And that weather makes a difference. Biggest leap in physics since 4...the last title you played. Also got a very small taste in horizon. I thought horizon drove allot better than the last motorsport and that excites me. I know horizon is missing quite a bit due to its cross gen nature.

AI - I mainly race against the computer. 7 was enjoyable enough for me. So any advancements there are a welcome.

Replay camera - I think their framing in race replays is pretty bad. I like looking at what i just accomplished and forza actively makes me not want to. I think plenty of other racers do it better...especially gran turismo.

Really just want Forza turned to ten 😉

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Similarly, there's no evidence that H2 is a late 2023 game. I expect it to release early 2023.

Late and early just referring to first and second halves of the year here, as you seemed to be doing originally. I'm not sure if summer counts as early or late to you.
Summer is Q3, which is the second half of the year in the calendar? I'm not sure what's so confusing about it?

Fair enough. Everyone can have different expectations, but personally, I think it's highly unlikely.

If there's a game releasing in the first half of 2023, I could see The Coalition's smaller game, or maybe MachineGames's game.

Jul 17, 2018
Haven't played a Motorsport game since 4. What are people wanting out of this series in a post Horizon world? Genuinely curious about the state of the series.

Because Motorsport is a track simulator. Whereas Horizon is an open world racer similar to Need for Speed imo. Its like asking what's the purpose of Gran Turismo in a Need for Speed. Either I don't care for racers outside of kart racers.

Jul 17, 2018
Smaller than the Gears team? Sure, only because I doubt it has campaign AND PvP multiplayer AND PvE multiplayer AND campaign coop. But people are way overplaying the "smallness" of this. It's an entirely new AAA UE5 project from the Coalition, not a tech demo or tiny demo game or whatever other weird ideas I've seen.

Some ppl see it as an indie game or AA game.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I'm very excited for Redfall. I'm here for an open world modern Gothic setting with vampires made by Arkane. Redfall would be my most anticipated game of 2022-23 if it weren't for Starfield.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Because Motorsport is a track simulator. Whereas Horizon is an open world racer similar to Need for Speed imo. Its like asking what's the purpose of Gran Turismo in a Need for Speed. Either I don't care for racers outside of kart racers.
Obviously I understand the core difference in type of game and believe there is room for both. My question was more so what learnings can Motorsport take from Horizon like some of the seasonal structure or diversity of race and challenge types to really push beyond where the series has been before.

It's clear Horizon has become the A tier series that really resonates with people beyond just a racing audience, whereas Motorsport seems to be rebuilding itself after a few good but not stellar entries.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Fable isn't 2023, they aren't dropping Avowed and Fable same year.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, and regardless, with how many game studios they have and projects in development (23 for all studios, plus several more publishing games or different teams in studios) I don't think they're going to be afraid to release several games in similar genres in the same year.

Especially considering Avowed is likely early 23 and Fable is likely late 2023 based on the GeForce leak

You think people would learn to stop doubting Arkane by now
I don't think people doubt the skill of Arkane so much as they doubt the GAAS approach that Bethesda as a publisher had begun taking seemingly out of desperation with their games prior to acquisition. I think people are just worried about the online feeling forced or not feeling like an Arkane game.

That being said, I have a good amount of faith in Arkane, simply because I fucking love Dishonored and I feel that Arkane's expertise in level design and having a sandbox of abilities for the world and focusing on systems based gameplay will be perfect for a fun and enjoyable co-op experience.

I just hope it has split screen. My favorite experiences playing co-op games like COD Zombies or Halo or Left 4 Dead have all been split screen experiences, online is fun but not nearly as good in my opinion

Jun 15, 2020
I don't think people doubt the skill of Arkane so much as they doubt the GAAS approach that Bethesda as a publisher had begun taking seemingly out of desperation with their games prior to acquisition. I think people are just worried about the online feeling forced or not feeling like an Arkane game.
There's no indication it's a GaaS. Just that it's co-op.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
There's no indication it's a GaaS. Just that it's co-op.
I know, but at the same time we don't really know much about the game at all.

I was just saying people are worried about it after Bethesda tried pushing GAAS elements into Wolfenstein Youngbloods as well as Doom Eternal with all the cosmetics and everything

Personally I don't give a shit if it's GAAS and if it's good I might actually prefer it, but I'm also not really the type to complain about stuff lmao

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Especially considering Avowed is likely early 23 and Fable is likely late 2023 based on the GeForce leak
I wouldn't take the GeForce leak dates as a guideline to the games' release. Star Citizen was set to be released in late 2021, according to it. Perfect Dark's "release date" is just 1 day after Avowed, TES VI is releasing in January 2024, and Gears 6 is releasing 1 day before Starfield (and we know it isn't releasing for years).

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not here for the Redfall slander. It's gonna be Xbox's best exclusive this year.

I don't really think there's a gaurantee it'll come out this year. So many games have been delayed the last 18 months, it wouldn't be surprising given we've only seen the CGI teaser and some pretty rough pre alpha footage from last year. I think they'll do absolutely anything in their power to avoid delaying Starfield, but Redfall I don't think is important enough to move heaven and earth instead of just delaying it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I posted this on the Xbox Era forums, but something I find interesting about Starfield's cover art is how it prominently features multiple characters. This is in stark contrast to the typical Fallout and Elder Scrolls box arts. To me, this suggests the narrative will be more character-driven than past Bethesda games. The guy in the helmet on the left is likely just the default protagonist, and we already know Vasco is the robot companion. The other two could be potential companions or main characters in the story.

I thought Fallout 4's companions were pretty well done for the most part and were a substantial improvement over Skyrim and Fallout 3 's implementations (although not quite to the level of Obsidian's New Vegas companions). I'm excited to see how Bethesda handles companions in Starfield.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I wouldn't take the GeForce leak dates as a guideline to the games' release. Star Citizen was set to be released in late 2021, according to it. Perfect Dark's "release date" is just 1 day after Avowed, TES VI is releasing in January 2024, and Gears 6 is releasing 1 day before Starfield (and we know it isn't releasing for years).
Eh, I know that the GeForce leaks aren't absolute by any means, but they definitely do provide a frame of reference when looking at everything.

Gears 6 being there is just a matter of the fact that it was in development before being put on hold.

TES 6's listed release date looks stupid but if you saw the other Bethesda Softworks games without a specific release date then they all had Jan dates and a given year, so TES 6 was a place holder but it shows it's aiming for 2024 or at least was when that database entry was made.

For the Xbox stuff, again we know it's out of date, but comparing those dates with other leaked info it's easy to paint a halfway decent picture of time frames.

Avowed was listed as December 2022, but we know as of June 21 it was targeting 2023, so we can assume based on other leaks saying it was aiming for late 22/early 23 that it'll likely hit in early 23 to avoid conflict with Starfield, and I said in an earlier comment I think that Fable will hit 2023 because the GeForce leak shows it was already pushed back over a year so there's a halfway decent chance it makes late 2023.

Obviously in its own the GeForce leak isn't exact for release dates, but it can be used as a frame of reference with other information

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Eh, I know that the GeForce leaks aren't absolute by any means, but they definitely do provide a frame of reference when looking at everything.

Gears 6 being there is just a matter of the fact that it was in development before being put on hold.

TES 6's listed release date looks stupid but if you saw the other Bethesda Softworks games without a specific release date then they all had Jan dates and a given year, so TES 6 was a place holder but it shows it's aiming for 2024 or at least was when that database entry was made.

For the Xbox stuff, again we know it's out of date, but comparing those dates with other leaked info it's easy to paint a halfway decent picture of time frames.

Avowed was listed as December 2022, but we know as of June 21 it was targeting 2023, so we can assume based on other leaks saying it was aiming for late 22/early 23 that it'll likely hit in early 23 to avoid conflict with Starfield, and I said in an earlier comment I think that Fable will hit 2023 because the GeForce leak shows it was already pushed back over a year so there's a halfway decent chance it makes late 2023.

Obviously in its own the GeForce leak isn't exact for release dates, but it can be used as a frame of reference with other information

I just think it's kind of selective to trust that info for some games and not trust it for others.
There's no reliable information that Avowed was recently targeting a late 2022 release date. That target date might be as outdated as TES VI or Gears 6's. We simply don't know. The only reliable piece of information about Avowed that we have is that according to Jez Corden, who has seen some early documentation and early build of the game, the game is still in "pre-production" (which may mean different things, granted), but he thinks it might still release in 2023, which doesn't sound like an early 2023 game to me. Grubb also said as of mid-June 2021, that the game was targeting 2023, just like pretty much all XGS games, including Everwild (which we now know isn't happening). That's all we know. The late 2022-early 2023 rumors is from a pretty sketchy source on this forum that has been wrong numerous times and has been promising an Avowed trailer since E3 2021 and then again before the end of the year (which both didn't happen). So I'd trust Jez over him.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I posted this on the Xbox Era forums, but something I find interesting about Starfield's cover art is how it prominently features multiple characters. This is in stark contrast to the typical Fallout and Elder Scrolls box arts. To me, this suggests the narrative will be more character-driven than past Bethesda games. The guy in the helmet on the left is likely just the default protagonist, and we already know Vasco is the robot companion. The other two could be potential companions or main characters in the story.

I thought Fallout 4's companions were pretty well done for the most part and were a substantial improvement over Skyrim and Fallout 3 's implementations (although not quite to the level of Obsidian's New Vegas companions). I'm excited to see how Bethesda handles companions in Starfield.

Cover is giving me old Star Wars vibes and I'm all for it.

Speaking of Star Wars, is Starfield purely sci-fi or space opera?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Cover is giving me old Star Wars vibes and I'm all for it.

Speaking of Star Wars, is Starfield purely sci-fi or space opera?
It's not really purely sci-fi. Not hard sci-fi. Todd Howard said they still gamified a lot of science for the sake of fun:

Realistic sci-fi at last! No more lasers in a vacuum!

"Erm… I think you might see some lasers in a vacuum," laughs Howard sheepishly. "It is a game, let's make no mistake. Well, the main thing is when you're doing a game, it's good to have some conceit you can use for giving the player power beyond equipment. Or you have equipment or items that you want to have some sort of power," Howard explains. "It's much easier in a fantasy game, right? Magic! Fallout has radiation and crazy tech.

"I won't go too deep into it but we did find ways to do that where you believed it in the reality of Starfield. So, yes, we have lasers. We have lasers in a vacuum [laughs]. And there is sound in a vacuum as well. So we found some ways that I won't go into right now to make it so the player and us have the ability to do those things. But that took a little time."

Jul 17, 2018
2f8f3f261b5b32ce70049d5627fa04b379024f43_2_817x1035.jpeg

Not sure if this has been posted. But TC's new project sounds promising.

Sipahi

Jan 30, 2021
I believe that was from an old interview around E3 last year. By now they should of just entered full production.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Hoping stalker 2 is not delayed too much, it was one of my most wanted gamepass game of the first quarter ! :(
Microsoft should triple down on dying light 2 and put this on gamepass to counter this loss !!

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Hoping stalker 2 is not delayed too much, it was one of my most wanted gamepass game of the first quarter ! :(
Microsoft should triple down on dying light 2 and put this on gamepass to counter this loss !!

Replace one Euro-jank with another :)

Really hoping Dying Light 2 does come to game pass though as it has a multiplayer component that would probably benefit from an inclusion in the service.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Summer is Q3, which is the second half of the year in the calendar? I'm not sure what's so confusing about it?

Fair enough. Everyone can have different expectations, but personally, I think it's highly unlikely.

If there's a game releasing in the first half of 2023, I could see The Coalition's smaller game, or maybe MachineGames's game.

Idk, Q3 runs July - September. Personally I think of June as summer and September as fall so it doesn't neatly map to quarters, but maybe that's just where I grew up.

Sorry if I sounded like a dick. I just think that production may not actually be a huge phase given how large ("chunky") and polished the "vertical slice" apparently is. I suspect they include things in the vertical slice that other companies might call production phase. So I'm guessing 18 months is enough and that they were originally shooting for 2022 pre COVID, but I guess we'll see.

Some ppl see it as an indie game or AA game.

Yeah, I'm saying it's not. I'd bet any amount of money Coalition is making a full scale game when they talk about multiple UE5 projects (one being Gears), not a 3 hour walking sim or whatever people think AA would imply.

(Don't @ me I love walking sims)

Where'd you hear that? It's not on hold, they have multiple teams now and have basically said as much publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.