Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2022
Yeah, I'll never say never, but it just feels like a longshot for me at this point. I adored ReCore, but it didn't really reach a lot of people, sadly. And honestly, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Oculus/Meta snap up Armature before long, after Resi 4 VR.
I really hope Oculus/Meta doesn't snag them up but it makes sense that someone will acquire them sometime in the future since they would be a good fit for a lot of publishers/studios.

Dabcelwero25

Oct 6, 2021
I know this thread doesn't like to talk about bad news, but what's happening at Undead Labs can't be ignored.

At least I'm not going to ignore it.

How are they going to fix AB when you don't even have your house in order?

What happened to the whole thing about being inclusive and not tolerating abuse and harassment?

It's sad, Xbox has done a lot of things wrong but being an organization where this crap happens is something I never imagined.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea...look at the reaction to dead space so far.
And they specifically title the video about it being mainly about audio. I hate gaming community sometimes. Cuz we legit could be getting behind the scenes stuff instead of waiting two years for a polished slice. Why Kickstarters so fun(especially when they come out good too haha)

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
wait, so you dont care they are actively working on it, yet criticize them for not actively working on it?

Also, how would surveys of current employees not matter? Their opinions are the only ones that matter given they are they ones actively experiencing any issues
"Actively working" sure they are. It's only been a problem for years and they've kept the same guy in charge for all these years.

What if those current employees were the ones responsible for the abuse and sexism? If the studio was losing a bunch of staff it was probably the ones being bullied and discriminated against who left. So surveys from the left over staff doesnt actually mean a damn thing in regards to real change, especially when the head honcho is the same guy in charge.

Ethan Gach said:
In the months since, Undead Labs rolled out new training for its managers, and what one current developer said was its first-ever sexual harassment workshop. (Microsoft disputes that, and told Kotaku that sexual harassment training is included as part of all new employee onboarding.) Some sources considered these developments, alongside Schlosser's abrupt departure, to be the start of a turnaround. Others saw Holt's inability to admit and own the mistakes of the past as a sign nothing would fundamentally change. In the meantime people kept leaving.

"One week we had five people announce they were leaving," said a current developer. "Out of every 10 leaving there was one who needed to, and the rest I was really sad to see go."

Those who have stuck around are more optimistic, and feel like the 2022 incarnations of Undead Labs and State of Decay 3 have finally turned a corner. "It could be such a cool game and we've got a lot of great people working on it, and I just hope we don't repeat the terrible habits of the last few years," said one current developer.

But some don't trust Holt or Microsoft to make that happen. In mid-February, Holt held an all-hands meeting telling staff a negative story about gender discrimiantion could be coming, and to not discuss it on social media. Some were disappointed he didn't use it as an opportunity to talk more candidly about some of the studio's issues, according to two sources who were present.
The article itself even mentions that not even all the employees left belive the studio will change, so no surveys dont really mean shit at this point.

The head of the studio told staff to remain silent on social media about gender discrimination, truly a man trying to change things at a studio.

Them firing the head of HR and not the studio head is all you needed to see to know they dont care.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
These employees should have a seat at the table. They shouldn't have to resort to putting their career on the line by talking to reporters about how bad things are at work. They need to be granted the power to advocate for themselves and negotiate better working conditions.

I just don't see a good path forward, for Activision-Blizzard and the industry as a whole, without unionization. You can (and should) replace the bad apples but at a certain point we need to acknowledge that these issues are systemic. And the system won't change unless it's forced to.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Not really played this type of baseball game before, is this type of game easy to get into for beginners?

Yep! They have a lot of options for making all facets of on the field easier. Probably the best in a sports title.

I know this thread doesn't like to talk about bad news, but what's happening at Undead Labs can't be ignored.

What happened to the whole thing about being inclusive and not tolerating abuse and harassment?

It's sad, Xbox has done a lot of things wrong but being an organization where this crap happens is something I never imagined.

This is a serious subject. But i personally don't participate much in these particularly because of reactions like yours and shellshock. I don't understand why you need to pretend they are doing no good whatsoever in order to say they need to do better in certain situations. It's lazy outrage.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This is a serious subject. But i personally don't participate much in these particularly because of reactions like yours and shellshock. I don't understand why you need to pretend they are doing no good whatsoever in order to say they need to do better in certain situations. It's lazy outrage.
Agreed. It's pretty tough to have an honest convo about it when people lack any sort of perspective.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
User Threadbanned (Permanently): Trolling over a Series of Posts
Let's keep Kotick in charge of ABK after the sale and and replace the rest of the ABK leadership! That's enough right? We can replace the HR leader at ABK and call it a day.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis

I would not saying people are ignoring this topic hear. Plenty of posts going over it. What it means through most contexts. Potential failures and fixes etc.

"Actively working" sure they are. It's only been a problem for years and they've kept the same guy in charge for all these years.

What if those current employees were the ones responsible for the abuse and sexism? If the studio was losing a bunch of staff it was probably the ones being bullied and discriminated against who left. So surveys from the left over staff doesnt actually mean a damn thing in regards to real change, especially when the head honcho is the same guy in charge.

The article itself even mentions that not even all the employees left belive the studio will change, so no surveys dont really mean shit at this point because if even 10% feel like nothing has changed that's not good enough.

The head of the studio told staff to remain silent on social media about gender discrimination, truly a man trying to change things at a studio.

Them firing the head of HR and not the studio head is all you needed to see to know they dont care.

You realize exit interviews are a thing right? Obviously that requires employees to say something. Also, if history has told us anything. Its a long process to remove top leadership of any kind. Especially in the context of sexism and discrimination given the burden of proof needed. In many cases, the outright removal can cause way more issues. So you replace the foundation that person is built on before removing that piece.

Its also statistically unlikely that everyone being surveyed is the perpetrator of abuse/discrimination. You are thinking in extremes and in somewhat binary views. Its always somewhere on a slider. Sure some of those being surveyed may be the problem, but many are not and are victims as well. One thing we know is that victims dont like coming forward cause of fear of retribution. I dont know MS's protection for them over that kind of stuff, but my assumption is its usually pretty decent. Of course of HR is mismanaged then it never gets to that point. Hence, the replacement of that leadership.

As for the people saying they don't see it changing, id argue that entirely depends on how one views the evidence of change. Many people are "ill believe it when I see it," especially when they have been through repeat issues. Them holding on to that belief is not evidence that change wont happen. Ive had that belief with my own work and have been proven wrong. At the same time, ive been proven right.

Last edited:

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

agree

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Let's keep Kotick in charge of ABK after the sale and and replace the rest of the ABK leadership! That's enough right? We can replace the HR leader at ABK and call it a day.
I think you need to step away from the keyboard and cool off. Nobody thinks internal problems are okay, but it's real easy to pop off from the outside without any real perspective on how the day to day is. We can only refer to the text of these reports and when MS did get involved things improved and there's more work to be done. Leadership does need a change, but the extreme simplistic takes like fire them all isn't really insightful or helpful lol

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017

This thread is not self-aware. There's plenty of critical opinions here and I don't think anybody's hand-waving the issue. MS should have been more hands-on and dealt with the issue earlier. They've made several leadership changes that seem to have had a positive effect, but those came late for many devs who already left because they were understandably fed up with the situation.

As for your last two sentences, TBH, I find them quite uninformed, if not plain disingenuous. MS is a massive tech company. It's inevitable and regrettable that some of this shit is going to happen. Hopefully, they'll be more hands-on and proactive with their new studios in the future, especially after the ABK acquisition is finalised. However, what just came out about Undead Labs, as dreadful as it is, is extremely mild compared to the absolutely wild and vile shit that came out about ABK, though. That company is absolutely rotten. You can't possibly compare in good faith their record on inclusiveness to MS's.

Time to let those hot takes cool off for a bit.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I remember someone here counting what were the largest drought in first-party Xbox releases.

I know before Psychonauts 2 it got into the top 3.

I'm curious if we're going to get closer again this year or no.

Dabcelwero25

Oct 6, 2021
And this is why I don't like to talk about negative topics in this thread.

What I said wasn't even controversial, and yet you think I'm doing it because I hate Xbox or Microsoft.

It's laughable.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
the whole undead labs thing its pretty sad, hopefully the changes they made recently are truly for the better and they manage to right the ship. idk if they should fire the head of the studio but hr in the 70000 studios they own should be handled by microsoft itself and not in house to avoid shitty things like that. the silver lining is that every year articles like these pop up and everyone's laundry is getting aired, real change in the industry needs to happen.

I remember someone here counting what were the largest drought in first-party Xbox releases.

I know before Psychonauts 2 it got into the top 3.

I'm curious if we're going to get closer again this year or no.
technically xgs released a game a week ago

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Microsoft wants you subbed to GamePass yearly but releasing first party only Q4. :)
"One game every 3 months" sounds more than it actually is. That's "only" 4 first-party games per year. Xbox already has many more than that almost every year. As an example, they succeeded that goal of at least one game every 3 months in 2020. This year they won't, but I can't seem them missing that baseline anymore beyond 2023.

But yes, not having a first party game this quarter is obviously not optimal and Phil even acknowledged that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

What I said wasn't even controversial, and yet you think I'm doing it because I hate Xbox or Microsoft.

It's laughable.
You literally started your post saying something that was completely untrue so of course people came for you. Before U even posted there were posts about undead labs, this thread has had negative talk for quite some time between 343 and the halo discussion, the entire intitiative situation, rare and everwild gets brought up every week, the No shows and now undead labs…so wth are you talking about. Even the most adamant Xbox fans in this thread have been very vocal about some things and wanting some things to change and it's actually refreshing as all hell instead of everybody acting like everything perfect. Yea

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
the whole undead labs thing its pretty sad, hopefully the changes they made recently are truly for the better and they manage to right the ship. idk if they should fire the head of the studio but hr in the 70000 studios they own should be handled by microsoft itself and not in house to avoid shitty things like that. the silver lining is that every year articles like these pop up and everyone's laundry is getting aired, real change in the industry needs to happen.

technically xgs released a game a week ago
I think each studio should have there own hr but this proves that there needs to be a way for employees to go around there hr is not doing anything about it

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Issues at three studios, across a total of 20+ does not signal incompetence across the board.

At all.
Only 3 is we pretend some recent games from XGS haven't had major issues.

Forza Horizon 5's online was basically busted for over a month after launch.

Halo Infinite is in a terrible place and is already out of the Top 10 in the US on console, the steam numbers are even more dire.

Gears 5 had server issues and some game breaking bugs at launch.

Mojang keeps announcing features for Minecraft on console and never delivers.

Acting only like 3 studios have issues just isnt true.

Even before Everwild, Rare releasing SoT in the state it was in was awful.

Psychonauts 2 was essentially the one game they released last year from an internal team that didnt have any major issues.

XGS just seems incapable of consistently delivering games without issues. Basically all of the other studios have yet to release a game for Xbox so it remains to be seen.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why some of you are so shocked that abuse happens at Xbox, it happens in every single company in the gaming industry. It's why unions and worker rights are so important. It's an endemic issue in the industry, the only thing that can avoid this kind of stuff is the kind of power that unions give to the workers.

Still sucks and it's terrible that Holt is still leading Undead Labs, hard to see a positive future when the guy that in february told people to stay quiet about the article is still leading the studio.

EDIT: Not really worth it.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017

It's laughable.
I've literally seen zero posts stating that.

What you said, on the other hand, was wildly inaccurate and several people rightly called you out on that. You keep complaining about the lack of room for negativity in this thread when there has been plenty of critical comments on various topics towards MS and Xbox studios, including Undead Labs. Also, the comparison between MS and ABK was ridiculous and completely ignores all context.

Sorry, I got lost in this part.

Can you please tell me what part of what I said was untrue?
See the above. Among other things, you stated a problem (the lack of negative views in this thread) that is demonstrably false.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Halo Infinite is in a terrible place and is already out of the Top 10 in the US on console, the steam numbers are even more dire.

Psychonauts 2 was essentially the one game they released last year from an internal team that didnt have any major issues.

XGS just seems incapable of consistently delivering games without issues. Basically all of the other studios have yet to release a game for Xbox so it remains to be seen.
Turns out making games is hard, huh?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Unreal Engine in first half the year getting its own showcase but not Xbox! I'm mostly joking but I really do wish we'd get more events.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Every time some article, exposé, etc comes out about any company it drives people crazy with hot takes it will never end lol.

Dabcelwero25

Oct 6, 2021
What you said, on the other hand, was wildly inaccurate and several people rightly called you out on that. You keep complaining about the lack of room for negativity in this thread when there has been plenty of critical comments on various topics towards MS and Xbox studios, including Undead Labs. Also, the comparison between MS and ABK was ridiculous and completely ignores all context.

See the above. Among other things, you stated a problem (the lack of negative views in this thread) that is demonstrably false.
Again, can you tell me the part where I say a lie or something not true? Also, I never compare MS and AB lol.

Where do you get that nonsense from?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Now would be a good time for some good news. Like announcing a showcase to demonstrate that not all studios are a mess.

Dabcelwero25

Oct 6, 2021
Every time some article, exposé, etc comes out about any company it drives people crazy with hot takes it will never end lol.
This is on another level honestly, it's what people don't understand.

343 is having trouble producing content, that's understandable they developed the game in the middle of a pandemic.

The Initiative is losing talent, it's understandable that happens in many studios.

Undead Labs is a shit hole with issues of harassment and abuse... That cannot be tolerated, under any circumstances.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017

Yep, let's cherry-pick everything that seems to have gone wrong with MS's first party titles and ignore the fact that they were the best-rated publisher of 2021 despite COVID.

Again, can you tell me the part where I say a lie or something not true? Also, I never compare MS and AB lol.

Where do you get that nonsense from?
I literally said it in my previous post. As I suspected, there's no point talking to you since it's clear you're not arguing in good faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.