• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Titania

Top Shelf Member
May 12, 2021
So tired of these "X can be the answer to Y" rhetoric. That's not how this works, that's not what anyone at these studios wants.

I hope Indians Jones is a unique game with Machinegames DNA. That's what this game should be.

There is no answer to Uncharted just like there is no answer to Starfield, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves or Avowed the other way around. And that is fine.

Certain Affinity will also not work on a plain "Monster Hunter clone". It's just that people seem to have that demand to compare new things to existing values and concepts.
So tired of when we want something like uncharted or god of war or whatever; you think what we mean is it should be a copy past of that game. of course, we want Indiana jones to be unique! Uncharted is a benchmark for me as an action-adventure game where you can explore mysterious areas, full of action sequences, excellent character development, fantastic puzzles, etc. In the past, it was Tomb Raider, then Uncharted came, and now I want Indiana Jones to be the next best cinematic action-adventure in that genre that I can experience.
What is wrong that I want something like that? Why do you always think all of us want answers to X or Y?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So tired of when we want something like uncharted or god of war or whatever; you think what we mean is it should be a copy past of that game. of course, we want Indiana jones to be unique! Uncharted is a benchmark for me as an action-adventure game where you can explore mysterious areas, full of action sequences, excellent character development, fantastic puzzles, etc. In the past, it was Tomb Raider, then Uncharted came, and now I want Indiana Jones to be the next best cinematic action-adventure in that genre that I can experience.
What is wrong that I want something like that? Why do you always think all of us want answers to X or Y?
Because that's what "Uncharted-like" implies. It wasn't my decision to bring up Uncharted in an Xbox discussion. If you don't meant it that way, that's fine then. But the mindset of needing an answer to every great game that exists on other platforms very much exists in this community to the point where it's just tiring to read.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

Nothing wrong. But Shadow of tomb raider is the best Action adventure that you describe. Uncharted is more Action Hollywood trip than the early Tomb raider.

I think what Klo want to say, is that Xbox will make they own thing on that genre. A bit like DC wanted to copy the Marvel method, it did not work, now they do their own thing.

And must also know that ND is their trademark, they have a Legacy of +15 years on this subject, machineGames you look at the type of game they do, they can not make a Uncharted Like suddenly.

They will surely take on which they were strong the last 20 years then will naturally try something new. I think what Todd & Machine Games will want, it's an authentic Indianna Jones experience.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Because that's what "Uncharted-like" implies. It wasn't my decision to bring up Uncharted in an Xbox discussion. If you don't meant it that way, that's fine then. But the mindset of needing an answer to every great game that exists on other platforms very much exists in this community to the point where it's just tiring to read.

It is, but then those types of games are the ones that are getting, in many cases rightly, lauded as the best games of the last 3 generations now. How many non 3rd person, narrative action or adventure games, complete with plenty of cut scenes, have won GOTY awards over the last 8 years or so? Not many. It is where the industry is at right now and MS have missed that boat pretty badly. I suppose the worry is that MS seem to be acting like Hellblade 2 would be enough to satisfy those after that type of game, but they need far more than that. That's all. It's just people pushing MS for more of what they want to see. Something 3rd person, eye-bleedingly good and quick, but not so archaic in it's gameplay/movement, like Gears.

I'm personally really looking forward to the 2D stuff MS has in the pipeline. There is a real opportunity there for them to have beautiful art styles for games that don't take half as long to make as the real AAA ones, which will help to "pad out" the release cadence/calendar, in between the bigger budget releases.

Titania

Top Shelf Member
May 12, 2021
I didn't say Uncharted-like. I said Uncharted level in terms of the quality of an action-adventure.
I apologize if I couldn't tell you exactly what I mean because my English is not good.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
Just over a month util we see Starfield gameplay. Can't believe it's finally heckin happening, I've been following this game since 2017, when just a trademark existed

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
It is, but then those types of games are the ones that are getting, in many cases rightly, lauded as the best games of the last 3 generations now. How many non 3rd person, narrative action or adventure games, complete with plenty of cut scenes, have won GOTY awards over the last 8 years or so? Not many. It is where the industry is at right now and MS have missed that boat pretty badly.

Era bubble. Because is here we always talk about goty.

People doesn't care about that, The kind of games that will be the most hype will always be the rpg, Online FPS or immense sandbox. Yeah Action adventure are big, but it is because it's genre last generation Sony and others invest a lot. God of war it's distinguished, But who has been an indispensable apart from him ? And this genre is heavy Console centric.

RDR2 doesn't count because nobody can do what R* do.

Skyrim +40M
Fallout 4 +40M
TW3 +40M

Even AC don't do this type of numbers. PC Crowd is massively important.

2021 : It's take 2
2020 : TLOU2
2019 : Sekiro
2018 : GOW
2017 : Zelda
2016 : Overwatch
2015 : The Witcher 3
2014 : Dragon Age Inquisition
2013 : GTA5
2012 : Telltales Walking dead
2011 : Skyrim
2010 : RDR1

The narrative that a Goty will always be a cinematic heavy games is so wrong.

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Era bubble. Because is here we always talk about goty.

People doesn't care about that, The kind of games that will be the most hype will always be the rpg, Online FPS or immense sandbox. Yeah Action adventure are big, but it is because it's genre last generation Sony and others invest a lot. God of war it's distinguished, But who has been an indispensable apart from him ? And this genre is heavy Console centric.

RDR2 doesn't count because nobody can do what R* do.

Skyrim +40M
Fallout 4 +40M
TW3 +40M

Even AC don't do this type of numbers. PC Crowd is massively important.

2021 : It's take 2
2020 : TLOU2
2019 : Sekiro
2018 : GOW
2017 : Zelda
2016 : Overwatch
2015 : The Witcher 3
2014 : Dragon Age Inquisition
2013 : GTA5
2012 : Telltales Walking dead
2011 : Skyrim
2010 : RDR1

The narrative that a Goty will always be a cinematic heavy games is so wrong.
Rdr 2 didn't do that much more if i remember right ? I remember rockstar wasn't happy Haha ( it did a lot but not the usual GTA level )

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So tired of these "X can be the answer to Y" rhetoric. That's not how this works, that's not what anyone at these studios wants.

I hope Indians Jones is an unique game with Machinegames DNA. That's what this game should be.

There is no answer to Uncharted just like there is no answer to Starfield, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves or Avowed the other way around. And that is fine.

Certain Affinity will also not work on a plain "Monster Hunter clone". It's just that people seem to have that demand to compare new things to existing values and concepts.
I am super interested in CA and this MH clone. Really excited to see what it ends up being. Need more MH rivals!

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I didn't say Uncharted-like. I said Uncharted level in terms of the quality of an action-adventure.
I apologize if I couldn't tell you exactly what I mean because my English is not good.
All cool. I didn't mean to overreact, sorry. All I want is a unique Xbox library with many different genres, yes, including action-adventures. That's the only way how Xbox can really bolster its own identity. I think in a couple of years from now, Xbox will be known for having the best W-RPGs available, as an example.

In any case, hopefully better stuff to talk about soon-ish :)

Sipahi

Jan 30, 2021
In 1-2 Months, Xbox studios are gonna show what they have been working on for years. The culmination of hard-work and talent. For many studios, it will be their first title under XGS, for others, it's a new take on an old approach.

Gonna be exciting to see all these projects. Last year was a good showcase, but most of the big projects were absent. I wanna see a bit of everything please.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
A) it's really not that serious
B) that's definitely how it works, Xbox has historically tried to build games as direct competition to, for example, Sonys major IPs (Horizon)

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
B) that's definitely how it works, Xbox has historically tried to build games as direct competition to, for example, Sonys major IPs (Horizon)

In the past, even Phil Spencer has brought up Uncharted as a series Xbox wants an equivalent to. Which is fine, the series is popular and not on Xbox. No different than Halo rumored to be getting a BR mode because BRs are popular. When things are popular, you try to get a piece of the action.

I would love to see Microsoft taking on cinematic games like Sony and I would love to see Sony taking on WRPGs like Xbox. Plenty of room for both to succeed in multiple genres.

I wish so many discussions didn't have to be A versus B.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In 1-2 Months, Xbox studios are gonna show what they have been working on for years. The culmination of hard-work and talent. For many studios, it will be their first title under XGS, for others, it's a new take on an old approach.

Gonna be exciting to see all these projects. Last year was a good showcase, but most of the big projects were absent. I wanna see a bit of everything please.
I expect great stuff, but I think we can already exclude certain projects from being shown just by using recent reports or common sense. I, personally, don't expect anything on

- Project Dragon
- Project Suerte
- Project Shaolin
- Everwild
- Perfect Dark
- State of Decay 3
- Gears Next
- The Outer Worlds II
- The Elder Scrolls VI (lol)

this year. All the other stuff, Contraband, Forza Motorsport, Redfall (obviously), Starfield (obviously 2), As Dusk Falls (obviously 3), Hellblade II, Avowed, Project Belfry, Project Indus, and so on ... I do expect to see this year in some form.

It's Monday morning (here), I'm coming out of a 2 week vacation and I didn't have coffee yet. Leave me alone, Vin! ;)

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
Halo on Paramount seems to be a top streamed show since its debut. Hopefully a good sign for an early season 3 pick up. (Season 2 has already been greenlit.) Below chart from Parrot Analytics shows the top 10 'new' show streams in comparison to the average streamed show during that time. First chart is two weeks ago and the second chart is the last 100 days ending April 15th. This was would have been episodes 1-4. Basically, it states that Halo is being streamed 20x more than the average TV show streamed over that time. That's good for 4th new show this week, 3rd last week, and 4th over the last 100 days:

I've definitely heard of Moon Knight and Severance but honestly have never heard of the first show. I need to get out more. Notably absent on this list, for me, is a new show from Netflix.

wow awesome numbers

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I expect great stuff, but I think we can already exclude certain projects from being shown just by using recent reports or common sense. I, personally, don't expect anything on

- Project Dragon
- Project Suerte
- Project Shaolin
- Everwild
- Perfect Dark
- State of Decay 3
- Gears Next
- The Outer Worlds II

this year. All the other stuff, Contraband, Forza Motorsport, Redfall (obviously), Starfield (obviously 2), As Dusk Falls (obviously 3), Hellblade II, Avowed, Project Belfry, Project Indus, and so on ... I do expect to see this year in some form.

It's Monday morning (here), I'm coming out of a 2 week vacation and I didn't have coffee yet. Leave me alone, Vin! ;)
Project belfry is clearly the one i want to see the most. I really want to see how it look and play !

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
In the past, even Phil Spencer has brought up Uncharted as a series Xbox wants an equivalent to. Which is fine, the series is popular and not on Xbox. No different than Halo rumored to be getting a BR mode because BRs are popular. When things are popular, you try to get a piece of the action.

I would love to see Microsoft taking on cinematic games like Sony and I would love to see Sony taking on WRPGs like Xbox. Plenty of room for both to succeed in multiple genres.

Hes the head of the division, doesnt mean how he talks about games should change anything. I like the thread best when its about Xbox and what people want in the future pertaining to it. Even stuff that is clearly artistic in some ways but still just copying another company idea like mockup of a smash bros select screen with Xbox characters, I just find boring.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

It's also a super sensible thing to want. Not having something on your platform doesn't make it somehow unique in a good way and wanting to rectify it doesn't mean you're chasing trends either.

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018

I hope Indians Jones is an unique game with Machinegames DNA. That's what this game should be.

Yeah, as long as the games are great i don't really care what they are or are not similar too.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Yeah, as long as the games are great i don't really care what they are or are not similar too.
Nothing wrong with similarities(Id take a Viva Pinata with some Animal Crossing in it) but if its just "Do this clone or genre because another company is doing it", I dont care for that.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Project Shaolin looks great. I'd be more interested in Project Suerte if it didn't have any MP in it.

Of all of the "project" games leaked so far, Project Midnight is probably the one most closely aligned to what I want out of a game.

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
Nothing wrong with similarities(Id take a Viva Pinata with some Animal Crossing in it) but if its just "Do this clone or genre because another company is doing it", I dont care for that.

Nothing wrong with it at all, i'm just personally more concerned with having a great game to play, over what game it may or may not be similar too.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

Yeah that was for Fable and the job mentioned Similar to Horizon Graphics wise. It was VFX job.

I think If Fable is AC like, Fable hardcore fan will be absolutely mad lol.

Phil many times said he is big fan of Nintendo and how they first party are unique, and he want the same for Xbox. Even Matt booty said he is not interested to GOW or Uncharted Answer but more massive world that have universal appeal, theme, Characters etc... Where Players can get lost in.

And I think he is right.

Last edited:

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
If Fable is coming out fall 2023 (big if, but still), then I think we will see it in June. If not, they will wait until next year or The Game Awards.

Honestly, I think Fable is 2025 project.

PG still massively hiring, leamington SPA is not accessible as London in terms of talent pool, they hiring a lot dev outside England, and look like they don't want to remote across England.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
There is always going to be some overlap when it comes to some IP because that is just the way that these things work out.

There are spaces where Microsoft has been lacking. The third person action adventure is one, especially when it comes to quality releases.Those are areas that the needed to invest in. The same thing applies to Sony going out of their way to have GAAS titles and some shooters in the works.

Competition means that having gaps in software genres is not desirable, especially for Microsoft who want to dominate subscription services.

Finally, there are some areas where Microsoft has historically tried to come out with games to compete with what PlayStation is offering. Forza is one example, and that was to come in and fill a need for a quality simulator in house.

Third person action adventures will happen. They would have happened even without Horizon Zero Dawn just as RPG's are happening without us knowing of anything coming from Sony in this space.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It is, but then those types of games are the ones that are getting, in many cases rightly, lauded as the best games of the last 3 generations now. How many non 3rd person, narrative action or adventure games, complete with plenty of cut scenes, have won GOTY awards over the last 8 years or so? Not many. It is where the industry is at right now and MS have missed that boat pretty badly. I suppose the worry is that MS seem to be acting like Hellblade 2 would be enough to satisfy those after that type of game, but they need far more than that. That's all. It's just people pushing MS for more of what they want to see. Something 3rd person, eye-bleedingly good and quick, but not so archaic in it's gameplay/movement, like Gears.

I'm personally really looking forward to the 2D stuff MS has in the pipeline. There is a real opportunity there for them to have beautiful art styles for games that don't take half as long to make as the real AAA ones, which will help to "pad out" the release cadence/calendar, in between the bigger budget releases.

It is what the awards get handed out for, it is not where the players are and not where the industry is as a whole IMO. Xbox needs a diverse portfolio of games, including narrative-driven singleplayer focused games. We'll get plenty of those. And I find the distinction between 1st and 3person always a bit arbitrary in that regard. Bioshock or TES can win awards as much as any 3rd person franchise; deep immersive RPGs or immersive sims should be able to do it just like a good action adventure.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Honestly, I think Fable is 2025 project.

PG still massively hiring, leamington SPA is not accessible as London in terms of talent pool, they hiring a lot dev outside England, and look like they don't want to remote across England.
I really don't think it will take from 2017/2018 to 2025 personally, but your opinion is valid. I can't speak to the hiring situation much, but it seems like 18-24 months out from release (which would be fall 2023 or spring 2024) seems like when you start really ramping up production.

I'm willing to eat my words, but I would be surprised if Fable releases later than 2024. They shouldn't have announced it in 2020 if it does.

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018

- Project Dragon
- Project Suerte
- Project Shaolin
- Everwild
- Perfect Dark
- State of Decay 3
- Gears Next
- The Outer Worlds II

Yeah should be a great show, but no way is EVERYTHING being shown that's currently being worked on :)

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
It is what the awards get handed out for, it is not where the players are and not where the industry is as a whole IMO. Xbox needs a diverse portfolio of games, including narrative-driven singleplayer focused games. We'll get plenty of those. And I find the distinction between 1st and 3person always a bit arbitrary in that regard. Bioshock or TES can win awards as much as any 3rd person franchise; deep immersive RPGs or immersive sims should be able to do it just like a good action adventure.

True, but lots of people go watch Michael Bay films. Doesn't mean they are good or pushing forward the art form. You could say the same about things like ROBLOX and Rocket League. That's the difference. The mild concern that I have is that, of all the games MS seem to be signing off on, it is mainly those with a MP component that seem to be getting the bigger budgets. Single player only experiences seem to be getting the more indie-level investment. Starfield will hopefully begin to address this weakness, as well as stuff like Fable and Hellblade 2. But even these ones represent only a minority of known output. Certainly not enough for my tastes. But I agree that diversity is good, overall.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
So it's possibly in theory that the Activision deal goes through at some point this year?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So it's possibly in theory that the Activision deal goes through at some point this year?
The Warner Discovery deal needed ≈ 12 months of time. I, personally, don't think it's reasonable to expect the even bigger ABK x MS deal to close faster, even less with the way regulatory is meant to monitor things even more closely now. In theory everything is possible, but I think the target early - mid 2023 is much more realistic.

Jan 4, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.