Status
Not open for further replies.

Bic Han

Banned
Jun 12, 2022
If it's true that Playground still has ~130 job openings, it's very likely that Fable is still in early pre-production.
[/QUOTE]

This is not how game development works and it hurts my head every time I see this dumb point being brought up. We literally had Amie Spuddle, one of the senior producers of Fable, say that this is not how game development works. She said this on Reddit and liked several tweets echoing this.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah, I would not expect anything at Gamescom given that there is not even a real showcase. We might get Pentiment impressions since it will be at the booth.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Gamescom last year announced Cloud gaming coming to the xbox app and Consoles just sayin

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021

Bic Han

Banned
Jun 12, 2022
I am so tired of seeing SoT, Grounded, and Flight Sim at every Xbox event 😅.

God, I hope people stop playing SoT so RARE can move on from that game and work on something else/ focus entirely on Everwild

Jul 22, 2022
Avowed must be releasing within the next fiscal year I hope
Hope dies last.

The game looks reaaaaaaaaally cool.
It misses something to look like Bloodborne. I guess wet environment and some lighting?

I am so tired of seeing SoT, Grounded, and Flight Sim at every Xbox event
These games are popular. Also Flight Sim is a poster child for cloud games. Also has great visuals, who does not like photorealistic graphics?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

See this amping up of a level with sirens/lights flashing for Infection is what I'm talkin' about. Could probably be tweaked a bit to be less gaudy, but that's the idea. IMO it would be fun to have these be dynamic like when half the survivors die or if you're the last remaining to trigger the lighting effects or start blowing steam out creating some fog. Would be crazy.

Bic Han

Banned
Jun 12, 2022
SO

Neowiz has Lies of P playable at the Xbox booth on Gamescom. It's this game (they are from South Korea)

View: https://youtu.be/q-8ix2pSHrw

curious if we get an game pass announcement. The game looks reaaaaaaaaally cool.

Gamepass announcement would be cool. Think it's first half next year though. Souls-clones tend to be more miss than hits from experience. This looks better than 90% of souls clones though

Bic Han

Banned
Jun 12, 2022
Please Rare stop making the best game you have ever made better
Stop working on SoT and split your 1st team into Everwild and TES VI
Straw mans. Nothing against the games but I would rather see anything else than these games. These games are big enough to have their own shows. Just look at SoT channel. They get great views and engagement on their social media.

Pentiment is something I can understand as well. I wish I can put myself into cryo sleep until 2023

Oct 12, 2020
God, I hope people stop playing SoT so RARE can move on from that game and work on something else/ focus entirely on Everwild

alfred-never.gif

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Listening to XCast and they're running with my example of Soul Hackers 2 alongside the Elden Ring XCloud screengrabs 😭 and they're focusing mostly on the "Game Pass" logo rather than the owned cloud games thing as if Elden Ring is coming to Game Pass being the "news" here haha. Noooooo. I mean I guess technically owned streaming is "Game Pass" because it will require Ultimate to access lol

edit: based vicious696 bringing it down to Earth as always 💪

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What's nice about Game Pass Family coming to $25 a month out the gate (presumably, based on how it's structured atm) seems like a Game Pass price increase isn't coming any time soon. Why would you release a new tier/offering and then jack the price up within like, a year, you know?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
that was over 2 and a half years ago
Exactly. Early even on a normal timeline for a game that's already figured out from a team that is used to doing them. So, in these circumstances where none of those things are true..

Listening to XCast and they're running with my example of Soul Hackers 2 alongside the Elden Ring XCloud screengrabs 😭 and they're focusing mostly on the "Game Pass" logo rather than the owned cloud games thing as if Elden Ring is coming to Game Pass being the "news" here haha. Noooooo. I mean I guess technically owned streaming is "Game Pass" because it will require Ultimate to access lol

edit: based vicious696 bringing it down to Earth as always 💪
WHAT EVIL HAVE YOU WROUGHT!!! Ah well, it was hard to understand what was happening, even in this thread with all the context laid out and multiple warnings haha. Can't blame people for taking what they see at face value and running with it. Cue the neverending disappointment...

What's nice about Game Pass Family coming to $25 a month out the gate (presumably, based on how it's structured atm) seems like a Game Pass price increase isn't coming any time soon. Why would you release a new tier/offering and then jack the price up within like, a year, you know?
Yea, I really don't think they're raising the price imminently. No one is saying they won't raise the price, but it's probably going to be years down the line. That "You know they're gonna raise the price, right?" talking point has morphed into some kind of warning to people that they shouldn't buy in or something in some circles. Kinda weird..

But anyway, they're clearly still in the spending a lot of money and acquiring users mode. I wonder if they'll spend less on GP deals or raise the prices first. I imagine the smarter move, if they intend to start paring back the costs and making more money, would be to spend less on deals and hold off on raising the price for as long as possible. Lock in is a powerful tool (though, MS has now agreed to warn people when their subs are renewing, which is good).

Poldo

Banned
Apr 12, 2022
Tbh, I don't see any of those games before 2025.
This.

According to the latest information, none of these titles are in full production yet.

This is not very encouraging.

They all have dozens of open positions.

It is not even certain that Hellblade 2 will make it by the end of 2023.

For 2024, on the other hand, I am almost certainly seeing a new chapter of Gears.

Everything else is TBA 2025 and beyond.

From this perspective, they desperately need to close asap with Activision and start pushing everything they can as exclusive software.

Guys, we're approaching the mid gen, where are the games?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This.

According to the latest information, none of these titles are in full production yet.

For 2024, on the other hand, I am almost certainly seeing a new chapter of Gears.

From this perspective, they desperately need to close asap with Activision and start pushing everything they can as exclusive software.

Coming in the first half of 2023

Oct 12, 2020

They'd be nuts to raise the price anytime soon….they will likely wait until they hit their first party game release cadence. Once the Starfields, Avoweds, Fables etc start dropping with somewhat regular occurrence then Xbox can probably starting thinking about it because at that point the value proposition will be even greater than it is now and I think consumers will understand to a degree.

As successful as Game Pass has been, its not even close to having hit its stride.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
This.

Can you post links to it because I haven't heard anything about which game is in full production or not, from the devs/studio or Xbox. I hate when make statements like this as fact without any actual proof of the claims and I'm ready to be corrected. Not links from rumours of someone saying they heard it or whatnot. Not saying it isn't true but like I said I haven't heard/seen this sort of statements from any of those games.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
This.

I'm a huge pessimist after the latest showcase and I've definitely ruffled a few feathers in this OT with it. However, Xbox is looking solid starting 2023. We just have to keep the "wait till next year" meme alive for a few more months 🙏

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Would be neat if Xbox promoted the game more though

Yeah, that would be nice, but I'm just glad it's launching on Game Pass :)

View: https://twitter.com/klobrille/status/1557348077584908288

That's around 140ppl worked on Avowed if we count some of the cross team members that work on both TOW2 & Avowed.

I except Avowed (TOW2 too) to have big Co-development support that help on Environment, Game Design,animation etc...

But I guess TOW2 is not a 2024 game but more 2025.

It'll be interesting to see who people prefer of Obsidian and Inxile at the end of the generation. Before Wasteland 3 Obsidian would have been in the lead for me and they have so many great games, but I'm still leaning towards Inxile for now, even if I love Obsidian as well.

Friendly competition with the Xbox ecosystem as the winner regardless of who comes out on top :)

I've said many times before in previous Xbox threads that service games have a different and possibly more hurtful impact on a first party. Less variety, fewer releases and fewer surprises, all due to how long they take to make. Do we want updates for one game for years and years or two-three different games in the same time frame? Do we wanna see updates for the same game at their industry events over and over again or do we wanna be surprised by something new every time?

Nothing kills momentum for me at an industry event like showing service updates and I get sad every time a developer starts working on them, knowing all too well that new games will now happen much less regularly.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I've said many times before in previous Xbox threads that service games have a different and possibly more hurtful impact on a first party.. Less variety, fewer releases and fewer surprises, all due to how long they take to make. Do we want updates for one game for years and years or two-three different games in the same time frame? Do we wanna see updates for the same game at their industry events over and over again or do we wanna be surprised by something new every time?

Nothing kills momentum for me at an industry event like showing service updates and I get sad every time a developer starts working on them, knowing all too well that new games will now happen much less regularly.
My hope is that with Game Pass, they don't need to rely on live service games as much. Just release shorter games, have DLCs if you want, and release more of them!

Krazie

Jun 6, 2022
My hope is that with Game Pass, they don't need to rely on live service games as much. Just release shorter games, have DLCs if you want, and release more of them!

The problem with that is live service games are the perfect things to have on a subscription service to increase revenue.

Larger player base, more opportunities to sell content in the game.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Playing (albeit slowly because as always, playing way too many games at once) A Plague Tale and this game is awesome. Can't wait to see how they improve upon Innocence with Requiem. I'm in Chapter 10 now and having a blast.

the games so good

While I get the sentiment and def agree with being tired of seeing SoT and Flight Sim at EVERY show. Both are very successful with SoT's prob being Xbox's most successful live service game. It has healthy player based on xbox and steam and consistently is getting new content. Having Rare ditch it is prob the worst thing they could do.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The problem with that is live service games are the perfect things to have on a subscription service to increase revenue.

Larger player base, more opportunities to sell content in the game.
I disagree. If I play one live service game mainly, its just better to buy it separately then have a subscription for games I don't care for.

The best thing for a service like Game Pass is to have a ton of games releasing. You can also release DLC/early access for those games to generate more revenue.

Live service games make a lot of sense outside of the Game Pass model because you want to make as much money as you can from an individual game. Game Pass allows them to focus more on a massive amount of content/games releasing.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
GAAS don't hurt first party except maybe in list wars that take place in bubbles like Resetera. Player data has consistently shown that many, many players want these games, play these games more often, and choose to spend their money on them. People like the familiar and once they find a few games they like are very happy to continue playing them and spending money on new content for them. Even before GAAS most players only purchased a single digit number of games in a generation. GAAS just more efficiently caters to this very large crowd.

It would only really be a huge "problem" if MS only made GAAS and lost the "sample and survey" hardcore crowd prevalent at places like this who play dozens of games a year. However, there is absolutely no indication that is going to happen. The green light for games like As Dusk Falls and Pentiment actually heavily indicates a desire to release a variety of genres and game types.

Krazie

Jun 6, 2022
I disagree. If I play one live service game mainly, its just better to buy it separately then have a subscription for games I don't care for.

The best thing for a service like Game Pass is to have a ton of games releasing. You can also release DLC/early access for those games to generate more revenue.

Live service games make a lot of sense outside of the Game Pass model because you want to make as much money as you can from an individual game. Game Pass allows them to focus more on a massive amount of content/games releasing.

Both things can and will be true.

We're seeing stuff like As Dusk Falls and Pentiment get to shine in the spotlight due to Game Pass. But it's impossible to ignore the impact Game Pass will have on live services as it continues to grow. Ask Sea of Thieves.

Now fast forward to next year when League, WOW and Candy Crush all have some sort of Game Pass benefits. We haven't even scratched the surface in that regard yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.