Votes: 85 11.2%
  • Microsoft Gaming

Votes: 101 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2018
My hot take regarding Halo:

Halo SP doesn't need reinvention, it already happened with Infinite and it was critically acclaimed (just needs more variety in environments and better management but the dev was rushed).

Meanwhile Halo Infinite MP didn't innovate much and played very safe (while being the weaker component of Infinite). I still think it was a mistake, for the casual mode, to go back to BTB instead of Warzone 2.0 or Battlefront-Halo with a PvPvE addition. Halo is known for its massive scale battles and PvE sandbox, the tech has vastly improved since Halo CE/2/3, but you still aren't seeing this in the games' Multiplayer.

Like those concepts should have been the ultimate endgoal for Halo MP following Warzone (in my opinion). Battlefront style. Not going back to a smaller BTB (compared to Warzone), in whose too many times the vehicle battles are basically some Warthog against another or a Mongoose.

10c68b0bc15224c6eca6e342d0e8d8e4.png

cb993b8e71f3bfa6bd4cd4c27146acfa.jpg

0r7t4g40jcg51.jpg

ignacio-bazan-lazcano-ui-feloadingscreen-mission01-060516.jpg

hw2-3.jpg

spartans-halo-halo-wars-2-wallpaper-thumb.jpg

I guess it would be a too much drastic change (and too much work unless you are DICE) but it's basically what I would want for the next evolution of Halo MP. The epicness and scale of Battlefront 2 but in the Halo universe with giant scale UNSC vs Covie/Banished, Scarabs serving as an AT-TT or MTT, classes (even Grunts), Heroes deployed on the battlefield, etc... Different eras (Battle of Reach, Battle of Earth, Battle of the Ark, etc..). Epic tracks. Both 1st and 3rd-person. Or even just Warzone 2.0 (just the 3-base design and some corridor map designs that were frustrating and needed to be improved). Go big or go home.

168322.gif

star-wars-battlefront2.gif

star-wars-battlefront-ii-clone-troopers.gif

34346.gif

battlefront-2-open-beta.gif

Last edited:

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
one problem 343 has is they take away things to add new things. they took btb away so they could do warzone. they took warzone away so they could do btb, bungie always seemed to add to the game while not really taking anything away. they brought in firefight but the game still had btb. they brought in invasion but the game still had firefight and btb.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
(I also believe we're going to see an CGI of Inxile new game at this E3... Just a hunch)
Nah, I think MS is basically done with doing CGI only trailers at E3. It'll either be in-engine or not shown at all in my opinion.

Depending on when it's set to launch though I think we'll see it at the VGAs this year though. GeForce leak had it targeting December 2023 so realistically it's probably holiday 2024 or 2025 but if it's 2024 then I think it'll show up at the VGAs

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FarSight XR-20

Yeah, I always hoped BTB would go that sort of way or another mode that is more I dunno how to put it, not like a multiplayer map, looks like a place, not a map maker, push and pull. It will be interesting to see what the Certain Affinity game is like, will it lean more Battlefield and BR.

Oct 27, 2017

Not surprised at all. The game is performing very well on Steam (approaching 6 weeks in a row in Steam's Global Top 100. Hi Fi Rush hit 5 weeks in a row, for those curious), seems to have sold well on PlayStation Store (#9 on both US/EU PlayStation Store in February, with just only 7 days of sales), and is quite popular on Game Pass (#3 Japan, #7 UK, #5 US).

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Halo SP doesn't need reinvention, it already happened with Infinite and it was critically acclaimed (just needs more variety in environments and better management but the dev was rushed).

Meanwhile Halo Infinite MP didn't innovate much and played very safe (while being the weaker component of Infinite). I still think it was a mistake, for the casual mode, to go back to BTB instead of Warzone 2.0 or Battlefront-Halo with a PvPvE addition. Halo is known for its massive scale battles and PvE sandbox, the tech has vastly improved since Halo CE/2/3, but you still aren't seeing this in the games' Multiplayer.

Like those concepts should have been the ultimate endgoal for Halo MP following Warzone (in my opinion). Battlefront style. Not going back to a smaller BTB (compared to Warzone), in whose too many times the vehicle battles are basically some Warthog against another or a Mongoose.

0r7t4g40jcg51.jpg

hw2-3.jpg

I guess it would be a too much drastic change (and too much work unless you are DICE) but it's basically what I would want for the next evolution of Halo MP. The epicness and scale of Battlefront 2 but in the Halo universe with giant scale UNSC vs Covie/Banished, Scarabs serving as an AT-TT or MTT, classes (even Grunts), Heroes deployed on the battlefield, etc... Different eras (Battle of Reach, Battle of Earth, Battle of the Ark, etc..). Epic tracks. Both 1st and 3rd-person. Or even just Warzone 2.0 (just the 3-base design and some corridor map designs that were frustrating and needed to be improved). Go big or go home.

168322.gif

34346.gif

I mean Halo 5 had Warzone and it didn't light the world on fire. That said, I do think there were elements of the game mode that were worth building upon rather than abandoning.

Including BTB wasn't a bad move. But it's the worst BTB in series history, and that doesn't help. 343 royally screwed the gamemode in Halo infinite. First of all, it didn't even work for the first 2 months after launch- which absolutely nukes excitement for it. And the whole "pelicans randomly bring in heavy vehicles sometimes" was a colossal downgrade to how vehicles are incorporated.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
The biggest issue 343 has always had is that they always start a whole lot of cool stuff, and abandon it before that idea has had time to grow.

They keep going one step forward, two steps back.

Spartan Ops? Forget it.
Warzone? Eh.
Prometheans? Who?
The Created? Never heard of it.
The Endless? lol it's never gonna happen.

How can people get invested in any of the things they create, when they keep going back to the drawing board every single release?

They had all the ingredients that they needed with Halo Infinite. All they had to do was to prepare enough content (campaign included, as in environment variety), something they had done before on the live-service game called Halo 5, on a scale no one had actually asked them to back then.

kruczynski

Sep 21, 2020
The biggest issue 343 has always had is that they always start a whole lot of cool stuff, and abandon it before that idea has had time to grow.

Spartan Ops? Forget it.
Warzone? Eh.
Prometheans? Who?

How can people get invested in any of the things they create, when they keep going back to the drawing board every single release?

They had all the ingredients that they needed with Halo Infinite. All they had to do was to prepare enough content (campaign included, as in environment variety), something they had done before on the live-service game called Halo 5, on a scale no one had actually asked them to back then.
Totally agree.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this game isn't ever coming to Xbox. That marketing check must have been astronomical.

kotaku.com

Final Fantasy 16 Devs Say Only PS5 Can Handle The Game’s Combat

Square Enix cited 'the power of the PlayStation 5' when discussing the fantasy RPG's platform exclusivity
Yoshi-P hasn't directed/produced/touched anything related to an Xbox so I don't know why you think he's talking of Xbox when praising the PS5, it's clearly in comparison with the PS4.

OP
OP
Andrei Rublev

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
I asked OpenAI to write an idea for a new Halo game:

Title: Halo: Legacy

The story takes place several decades after the events of Halo 5. Humanity has begun to rebuild and expand, colonizing new worlds and establishing new colonies. However, as they push further into the galaxy, they begin to encounter a new threat unlike any they've faced before.

The game follows a new protagonist, a young Spartan who is part of a team tasked with investigating a series of strange occurrences on the outer rim of the galaxy. These occurrences are linked to an ancient civilization that predates the Forerunners and the Flood. The team discovers that this ancient civilization has left behind powerful artifacts that could potentially turn the tide of the war against this new threat.

As they search for these artifacts, the team must also contend with a rogue faction of humans who believe that the artifacts should belong to humanity alone, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get them. This faction is led by a charismatic and dangerous leader who believes that humanity is destined to rule the galaxy, and that the artifacts will give them the power to do so.

Throughout the game, the team must navigate dangerous environments, battle new and terrifying enemies, and ultimately confront the rogue faction and prevent them from getting their hands on the artifacts. Along the way, they will uncover the secrets of this ancient civilization and the true nature of the threat they face.

Halo: Legacy would feature stunning graphics, epic battles, and a thrilling story that expands on the rich mythology of the Halo universe. It would introduce new characters and enemies, while also paying homage to the classic elements that fans have come to love.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I asked OpenAI to write an idea for a new Halo game:

Title: Halo: Legacy

The story takes place several decades after the events of Halo 5. Humanity has begun to rebuild and expand, colonizing new worlds and establishing new colonies. However, as they push further into the galaxy, they begin to encounter a new threat unlike any they've faced before.

The game follows a new protagonist, a young Spartan who is part of a team tasked with investigating a series of strange occurrences on the outer rim of the galaxy. These occurrences are linked to an ancient civilization that predates the Forerunners and the Flood. The team discovers that this ancient civilization has left behind powerful artifacts that could potentially turn the tide of the war against this new threat.

As they search for these artifacts, the team must also contend with a rogue faction of humans who believe that the artifacts should belong to humanity alone, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get them. This faction is led by a charismatic and dangerous leader who believes that humanity is destined to rule the galaxy, and that the artifacts will give them the power to do so.

Throughout the game, the team must navigate dangerous environments, battle new and terrifying enemies, and ultimately confront the rogue faction and prevent them from getting their hands on the artifacts. Along the way, they will uncover the secrets of this ancient civilization and the true nature of the threat they face.

Halo: Legacy would feature stunning graphics, epic battles, and a thrilling story that expands on the rich mythology of the Halo universe. It would introduce new characters and enemies, while also paying homage to the classic elements that fans have come to love.

That sounds like The Expanse TV Show lol.

If they make another story arc they really don't need another civilization. There is so much they could explore with just the Covenant, Flood and Foreunners.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020

0r7t4g40jcg51.jpg

hw2-3.jpg

168322.gif

34346.gif

I dig it. Would love to see a real Battlefield treatment for Halo.

Felpsmbs

Sep 25, 2020

0r7t4g40jcg51.jpg

hw2-3.jpg

168322.gif

34346.gif

This would be awesome. Not sure they would be willing to put so many resources at halo rn tho. Hopefully tatanka has a similar vibe and not just another bland battle royale.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
Yoshi-P hasn't directed/produced/touched anything related to an Xbox so I don't know why you think he's talking of Xbox when praising the PS5, it's clearly in comparison with the PS4.

I honestly don't believe that he's talking about Xbox here. I just meant to point out that since he's been so focused on the PS5 and it's features (in part thanks to Sony's monetary involvement in the game's development and marketing) in a lot of these interviews that the Xbox port, if it even happens, won't start until after the PC version which is already on a delay.

I honestly would not expect the big Final Fantasy games to be day and date on Xbox for some years. The franchise is clearly special to Sony and they want PS5 to be the only place to play them. That's just the nature of the business, and that's fine.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

Spartan Ops? Forget it.
Warzone? Eh.
Prometheans? Who?

I still want a "Halo 5.5". Just build on the gameplay from 5 and bridge the story between 5 and Infinite. There's more than enough characters and story beats to make a campaign out of it. More Cortana and the Created, Blue Team, Fireteam Osiris, Lasky, Halsey, small introduction of the Banished. Structure it like COD Infinite Warfare with the Infinity as your hub. You go on missions to various planets, defend the Infinity in dogfights, etc. Have the game end with the big battle that happens prior to Infinite.

They could port Halo 5 Guardians to Series X|S and Windows and have it share the PVP mode with "5.5" like with Halo 3 and ODST too.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys make of the PS5 Pro speculation? Can't imagine one console manufacturer would release a significantly more powerful machine whilst the other doesn't. But reading Era, MS is already struggling massively getting the current Series X on shelves. Surely bringing out another console anytime soon is out of the question?

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
What do you guys make of the PS5 Pro speculation? Can't imagine one console manufacturer would release a significantly more powerful machine whilst the other doesn't. But reading Era, MS is already struggling massively getting the current Series X on shelves. Surely bringing out another console anytime soon is out of the question?
I don't think there'll be a Pro.

DDrift

Jun 9, 2019

Xbox one X released one year later than PS4 Pro, I think is secure to say that MS is developing a "Pro" version too.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020

The only thing a XSX pro would be worth it for me is if it had an nvme expansion port like the PS5. Can't believe xbox fumbled that part of the console and we're stuck with paying $199 for a 1TB expansion card when there's faster and better 2TB nvme ssd's going for $140 now.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The only thing a XSX pro would be worth it for me is if it had an nvme expansion port like the PS5. Can't believe xbox fumbled that part of the console and we're stuck with paying $199 for a 1TB expansion card when there's faster and better 2TB nvme ssd's going for $140 now.
Don't even need an entirely new console, Microsoft could release a CFexpress to NVMe adapter and it'll work just fine if they unblock third party NVMes in Xbox software.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Seems really weird since it feels like we haven't even really started this gen yet. Sony should be far more focused on releasing a PS5 slim.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Kinda disappointed that valheim is 30 fps on series x. But it is what it is.
Valheim has to be one of the wildest success stories to me. They absolutely blow up in popularity and sell millions in weeks and then have the absolute slowest roll out of content in the world. and despite being optimized for X/S it doesnt even seem to be listed as 4K? And in 30 fps? Like how does that even happen. I can understand Xbox One being 30. So it makes me think its "optimized" (aka built targeting Gen9) but not actually leveraging anything.

Its wild and seems really incompetent to waste all that opportunity.

Edit: well, Miles says 60 so if im wrong I apologize

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I played like 30 minutes of Valheim last night and performance on an XSX was totally fine to me, no problems 🤷🏽‍♂️

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox one X released one year later than PS4 Pro, I think is secure to say that MS is developing a "Pro" version too.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. If a PS5 Pro is indeed happening I feel like we would've also heard about MS developing their version as well. Which we haven't. So I'm not sure I buy that a more powerful PS5 is coming any time soon.
Seems really weird since it feels like we haven't even really started this gen yet. Sony should be far more focused on releasing a PS5 slim.
Agreed. Feels totally unnecessary. People are just now starting to get their hands on these new consoles without much hassle. And games are still not actually pushing the hardware to the max.

DDrift

Jun 9, 2019

We got the rumors about a PS5 with a pluggable disc drive not a while, maybe that's the slim version. Also, PS4 Slim was launched in the same date as PS4 pro... so maybe?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. If a PS5 Pro is indeed happening I feel like we would've also heard about MS developing their version as well. Which we haven't. So I'm not sure I buy that a more powerful PS5 is coming any time soon.
Jez has made vague hints that Microsoft has new hardware codenames.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Jez has made vague hints that Microsoft has new hardware codenames.
Jez seems to say a lot of things that turn out to be completely false so that doesn't mean much.

I'm sure both Sony and MS have ideas and plans in case revised hardware becomes necessary but the 2024 speculation feels completely out of the question imo. I'm thinking like holiday 2025/early 2026.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Jez seems to say a lot of things that turn out to be completely false so that doesn't mean much.

I'm sure both Sony and MS have ideas and plans in case revised hardware becomes necessary but the 2024 speculation feels completely out of the question imo. I'm thinking like holiday 2025/early 2026.
Maybe, it is important to remember that Sony made the PS4 Pro one year before the Xbox One X. It's not like they coordinate when to release them like they might with the actual next gen machines.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, it is important to remember that Sony made the PS4 Pro one year before the Xbox One X. It's not like they coordinate when to release them like they might with the actual next gen machines.
Fair. I just feel like these consoles are just now starting to hit their stride. Well, PS5 is anyways.

Plus, I'd personally be kinda salty af if I had just recently or will soon buy a $500 PS5, a $550 PSVR2, and then Sony comes out and announces a better PS5 just months later.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Fair. I just feel like these consoles are just now starting to hit their stride. Well, PS5 is anyways.

Plus, I'd personally be kinda salty af if I had just recently or will soon buy a $500 PS5, a $550 PSVR2, and then Sony comes out and announces a better PS5 just months later.
I mean four years is the typical mid-generation point. PS VR2 would likely work even better on a hypothetical PS5 Pro, so it's not much of a loss. Also, if these systems focus on ray tracing, it's not like you have to own one. It's just a nice upgrade for those who want it. The PS4 Slim still sold very well even after PS4 Pro released, despite a bigger "upgrade" than what we'd see with a Pro Xbox Series or PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.