Votes: 149 10.9%
  • No Xbox: The Dark World

Votes: 156 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
What say you? Will starfield be restricted to 30fps on console? Will it have a 40fps mode or a 60 fps mode? Where does Era sit? I am anticipating 30fps and maybe a 40fps setting.
30 is the safest bet. If they actually ship with 60 then that will be a huge point in favor of Microsoft acquiring them because I can't imagine a world where they'd pull that off on their own.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Speaking of...
We are one month (and one day) until Showcase. Someone is preparing hypetrain pic?

Titania is our hype train Captain!

never forget!

zlGG4Tr.jpg

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What say you? Will starfield be restricted to 30fps on console? Will it have a 40fps mode or a 60 fps mode? Where does Era sit? I am anticipating 30fps and maybe a 40fps setting.
The only reason why it would be limited to 30fps on console is if it's CPU limited. Because otherwise 60fps can easily be achieved by lowering the resolution or graphics settings.

Given the game is being developed on an old proprietary engine that Bethesda knows inside and out, and there's no CPU-demanding co-op/online elements to the open world, there should be no excuse IMHO.

Of course the game could be way more ambitious on a technical level than I am giving it credit for, so I could be completely off base.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

And as always and what I said in the other thread, what those in or covering the industry are looking for is single player, single player, single player. That's what Microsoft needs to invest heavily in if they want that part of the industry on their side: AAA single player.

It doesn't matter how well service and multiplayer games climb up the sales lists, as a platform holder if you starve this segment, you'll be paying in mindshare.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
And as always and what I said in the other thread, what those in or covering the industry are looking for is single player, single player, single player. That's what Microsoft needs to invest heavily in if they want that part of the industry on their side: AAA single player.

It doesn't matter how well service and multiplayer games climb up the sales lists, as a platform holder if you starve this segment, you'll be paying in mindshare.

Or maybe the industry needs to evolve a little and stop being so one dimensional?

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Castles are built as a line of defense, holding ground, they're not meant to move forward, to adventure.

It doesn't fit.

That shelf one was fun for a change but I don't know about doing the same kind of idea.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe the industry needs to evolve a little and stop being so one dimensional?

It is what it is. Fair or not you're not gonna see a list like this full of multiplayer and service games. It's just not what they're looking for. Microsoft can either adapt and attempt to appeal to them with the type of games they like or suffer in mindshare. They can't solve this with service and multiplayer games, because this group is only rarely interested in them.

MonadoX

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2022

Microsoft has a ton of single player AAA games in development. I like the diversity of Xbox's first party.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has a ton of single player AAA games in development. I like the diversity of Xbox's first party.

They do and that's great to see. I think they should do even more.

Interestingly enough I've noted in here that even amongst Xbox fans, it's often those games topping our lists, when we do top tens every once in a while in the OTs.

EDIT: I also agree about the diversity of the line-up. It doesn't get any better that what Xbox is doing now.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Not sure how much will see this, or want to see this, I think it's worth sharing for those who do though.

OvL6EXu.png

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
can confirm the freeze in Austin (and many surrounding areas of Texas) was really bad

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Disagree with all his takes.

He keeps saying that Phil said that building games won't change anything. Correction, Phil said building great games won't flip the market share. Having people buy PS5s and then a secondary console (X or S) because of 11/10 games isn't flipping the market share. Phil and everyone knows that making great games will help you sale more consoles, but that wasn't what Phil was referring to.

The strategy is to expand the addressable market, in order to be the #1 player...not just be the +1 to the party. Cutting out context and quoting specific parts of his interview gets more clicks than thinking about this critically however.

He also references Sony's output during PS3, a time when platforms weren't as sticky as they are today (digital libraries, cross-generational F2P juggernauts, etc), which Phil also mentioned in the interview.

Agree

MonadoX

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2022
Not sure how much will see this, or want to see this, I think it's worth sharing for those who do though.

OvL6EXu.png
The very brief time I spent with Redfall wasn't that bad. It clearly needs a fair bit of work still. I'll definitely come back after a few patches and the 60 fps mode release.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now I know you spell REDFALL with all caps

what a nice message though. I actually feel kinda bad for Arkane
you can see based on the atmosphere and character; that they wanted to make something special and tried really hard.

its not the type of game where someone wanted to make a quick buck and doesn't care about the scores.

I do feel bad for them as well. Hopefully they don't feel discouraged by this; seems like they just didn't have enough experience making these types of co-op experiences and there was no way to fix it once they were too far along with it.

Wonder how hard it would be to rework it into a single player experience. Create your own character with a full skill tree where you get to choose how to play the game.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
you can see based on the atmosphere and character; that they wanted to make something special and tried really hard.

its not the type of game where someone wanted to make a quick buck and doesn't care about the scores.

I do feel bad for them as well. Hopefully they don't feel discouraged by this; seems like they just didn't have enough experience making these types of co-op experiences and there was no way to fix it once they were too far along with it.

Wonder how hard it would be to rework it into a single player experience. Create your own character with a full skill tree where you get to choose how to play the game.
There seems to be some form of "adventure mode" coming, whatever this is. Looked into the steamdb infos a bit and they are constantly updating the various branches of the game daily - so they are actively working on it currently. I posted the screenshots in the Redfall OT.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
on borderlands 3 of all games? weird

and of course the story goes balls to the wall resetera saying about how its a CONSTANT WORRY for series s users to see this COMMON ERROR which i have more than 500 hours on bl3 on a series s and never seen nor heard from any other of the peeps ive played with
literally the first time I've ever even seen this error appear on any xbox. Any game can have a memory leak leading to out of memory allocation errors.

reddit user said "It's a standard Unreal Engine message for failure to allocate vram"

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
A part of me almost feels like this is worse then blocking, because now it'll spend months and months in court to probably go nowhere with CMA/CAT.

Sigh...

The success rate with CMA appeals is 33%; it is an uphill battle but it is not impossible. Given what we have seen over the past few months, i think it is important MS tries everything it can to get ABK. ABK's revenue split going more towards PC ties into Xbox's platform approach even at the expense of console exclusivity; their studios are talented even if COD seems to be slowly dying and most of all, there might not be the reluctance to revisit classic IP among their studios that someone like Rare seems to have

Also, if UK ends up on an island (lol), there might be some way out even without a CMA success

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
A way to think about it is that they're going to go for

a) games that are big enough to be notable, but not big enough to be massively expensive to license
b) games from companies that don't have their own subscription services to promote, though most of these games are also too big for point a)

A lot of times this leads people to Japanese games and indie games, which I think makes sense. I don't know if they'll ever get an EA, Ubi, AB, or T2 game to launch on Game Pass in the future, even if it's a smaller project (to the extent that these companies even make smaller projects)

If they wanted to do a really big deal to make a statement (like a timed exclusive deal?), they could maybe get a game from a publisher like WB Games. and of course publishers that put out smaller games like Focus and Embracer are in play.

but i think, in general, games from companies like Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco are going to be some of the most likely candidates outside of the indie space.

I think it's more likely we see big Japanese game announcements at their TGS showcase (if they have one?)

Status
Not open for further replies.